San Angel Inn Multiple Allergy Experiences

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
I have asked about several restaurants over the last two years so I hope you will be patient as I ask about another! :)

We love the atmosphere in San Angel and DS 4 would really like to eat there on our upcoming trip. DS avoids dairy, gluten and food coloring. I have to avoid a lot of foods with the more difficult ones to avoid being dairy, soy, gluten, egg, tomato, garlic and peanut. I have had great experiences at many places but would like to give San Angel a try. I'm VERY EASY to please- I would be happy with some chicken or steak sautéed with onions and peppers and oilve oil over some lettuce. My big question is: has anyone had a multitude of allergies accommodated safely there? I don't need anything fancy- just safe food.

Thanks for any reviews! :)

San Angel is one of those places that usually is brought up here because they don't get allergies. This is especially true with dairy, where they will bring people food covered in cheese. It's possible you will be ok, but not being run by Disney and also being a place where there are occasionally communication barriers it is a risk. I know I've seen it called out as a place where they don't like to send the chef.

I ran a search to see what I could come up with, this thread is a good example:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3250724&highlight=san+angel

I would be sort of terrified to go there if I couldn't have both dairy and garlic, I suspect they would just be on everything going through the place. It makes me sad, I don't want to take my son there but it's my type of place to eat.

San Angel is one of those places that usually is brought up here because they don't get allergies. This is especially true with dairy, where they will bring people food covered in cheese. It's possible you will be ok, but not being run by Disney and also being a place where there are occasionally communication barriers it is a risk. I know I've seen it called out as a place where they don't like to send the chef. I ran a search to see what I could come up with, this thread is a good example: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3250724&highlight=san+angel I would be sort of terrified to go there if I couldn't have both dairy and garlic, I suspect they would just be on everything going through the place. It makes me sad, I don't want to take my son there but it's my type of place to eat.

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure why but I thought that this was one of the rare WS restaurants that was owned by Disney but I am glad to know now that it's not. It's really unfortunate since it is such a fun atmosphere. I really want to branch out but maybe we should stick to the really awesome places we know will serve us well. Even with my long list of allergies, I have had really great meals in lots of resorts and at all parks except EPCOT. :( I appreciate your input!

We have never had a problem, but my wife speaks enough spanish to communicate. Of course our allergies are not as complex, but still exist.

So perhaps, it's mostly a communications barrier. If that's the case, I am sure you could get someone in your area that does speak spanish to help you write out in spanish what allergies you have and give it to them when you check in. Just remember to be specific when listing dairy. For example, many people who can't have eggs think that just because they say they can't have dairy that they will not be given eggs. But eggs are not considered part of dairy, so they would need to be listed separately.

I would think that the same would be true for any WS location, if you can have it written out in their language it would make it a lot easier.

If you can't find anyone that speaks the language, you could use google translate, but I would use this as a last resort method, as someone that knows the language would probably do a much better job.

I have 10+ allergies, including garlic and onion. We ate at San Angel last summer on our trip and I had a great meal. The chef made me a steak seasoned with some kind of chili and steamed vegetables (I think it was squash and zucchini). I react within 30 minutes (stomach pain, nausea, etc) if I consume garlic or onion. I didn't get sick at all.

I also speak Spanish and spoke in Spanish with the chef, not because I thought he didn't know enough English, but because I love to speak Spanish as often as I can.

I have business cards made that list my name and all my allergies. Whenever we go out to eat, I always give one to the chef. Then there's no chance that I forgot to mention one or the chef didn't write one down.

Based on my previous experience, I will eat there again.

My son has peanut/treenut/shellfish allergies (severe allergies too- anaphylactic to those things) and this is one place I would not go back to, sorry I went, would never recommend - just don't do it. They didn't serve him anything that caused a reaction but the overall hassle and bad food (that it was hard to trust was safe), combined with the horrendous waiter we had...my goodness!

The only worse place I've been at Disney is that Irish restaurant at Downtown Disney where the dumb *&^ actually served him ALMONDS in a dessert and claimed it was "large oats" - don't ever go there either.:sad2:

I have read some good allergy related reviews so we gave it a try. I can't have gluten and made sure to talk to the chef. It seemed like gluten free was no big deal. I couldn't have the chips etc and ordered what the chef suggested.... well within 30 minutes of leaving I started to react. It was a very busy day NYE but it made for a very miserable few hours after. And when is wdw not busy? I'd say if they can't handle gluten I would be afraid with multiple allergies. And I never had any issues with the wdw owned restaurants on the same trip which were also just as busy.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! It sounds like it's hard to gauge if we will be one of the lucky ones who have enjoyed it and felt safe. I love the idea of going but perhaps it is not worth the worry.

I have many Spanish speaking friends so I may ask them to help me make up an allergy card with all my allergies on it in Spanish (I already do carry one in English to give to chefs) just in case we do give any of the Mexico area places a try. That is a very helpful suggestion. :)

I'm sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences but thanks to each of you for sharing and helping me decide!

We were very disappointed that their chips were not gluten free. It was a bad start from the get go. I would avoid it to stay safe, and we generally go with the safest options when dining at World Showcase, but they DO have an allergy menu and if you feel comfortable ordering carefully and bringing your allergy cards, I wish you the best of luck! I agree it's a lovely atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter