sales tax

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by GAIL HAYDEN, Feb 10, 2004.

1. GAIL HAYDEN

GAIL HAYDEN DVC Member since '92

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me why the General Store at OKW charges sales tax on food (no other store outside of WDW does this)? I only purchased a couple of items, but, found it surprising that the same items at WinnDixie or WalMart were not taxed.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. CarolAnnC

CarolAnnC <font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin

Interesting observation! I don't know, but just a thought here that perhaps that area of WDW sits in a different county. That could explain the tax difference.

4. Horace Horsecollar

Horace Horsecollar <font color=blue>DVC members represent a unique ca

If the General Store ar OKW is charging tax on food, I, too, would be interested to know why.

According to a little quick research with Google...

In Florida, food is exempt from sales tax.

The sales tax rate in both Osceola County and Orange County is 6%. The grocery stores along 192 and southern WDW are in Osceola County. Most of WDW, including OKW, is in Orange County.

5. Dean

Dean DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis

Not all food items are exempt. It's usuallly the core stuff that is. I believe soda's, maybe chips, foil and other similar things are taxed. Just plain food items should not be.

6. BWVDee

BWVDee DIS Veteran

Any food that is considered prepared or ready to eat immediately like chips, soda, cookies etc are taxable. Foods that are non prepared and can not be eaten immediately upon taking out of the package like a box of spaghetti, raw ground beef etc are non taxable. That is the way it is supposed to be, if OKW's store charged you tax on something non prepared, I believe that was an error.

7. GAIL HAYDEN

I know that in some states soda is taxable.
    Just as an FYI I bought OJ for Mimosas and bread, both, IMHO, core stuff. :)

8. GAIL HAYDEN

Even cookies are tax exempt at local stores as are bakery items.
    Chips are not taxed either. I looked at my receipts from Winn and WalMart. I did get taxed on soda (which is one of those items you always seem to be taxed on).

As I said, I bought only two items there and both items were taxed. Sort of made me wonder.

9. JudithM

JudithM DIS Veteran

Gail, did you happen to ask at the Store while you were there? Or call them from your room when you relaized you were taxed?

10. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

The tax code in Florida is strange. If you buy a newpaper out of a news box you don't pay a tax. Buy it over the counter and you get taxed for it.

Periodicals (time, newsweek, etc) you get taxed. Here in Illinois, it is considered a news item and is not subject to tax. It comes under freedom of speech and is not taxible. Courts here ruled on it a loong time ago.

edited to add:

The state of Illinois does not tax food bought in grocery stores (some items do not come under the exemption) but cities can charge 2%. The code is strange here too.

11. Sabor

Sabor Mouseketeer

Bread and OJ are both non taxable items !
    They are in error and it needs to be fixed.
    However there is no gain for them as they would just forward it to the State. I would bring it to their attention.
    Maybe someone else reading this board will check it out in person if going soon.

12. Nick@ VB+OKW

Nick@ VB+OKW Registered

Gail
    I am proud of you...............you didn't buy [​IMG]. [​IMG]

13. BWVDee

BWVDee DIS Veteran

Now come on Nick, Gail is too smart and WDW savvy to buy cigarettes at WDW for ridiculous prices (for FL) when they can be had for much cheaper right down the road at Walmart!! :D

14. GAIL HAYDEN

Nope!!! That would have been the intelligent thing to do. :)

Actually, I was waited on by the same incompetent fool that has been working there since day 1 and I would hesitate to ask him what time it is, he would probably answer with his usual " I don't know". Figured before I made a comment to the powers that be, I would ask around here first.

15. GAIL HAYDEN

LOL, yep I did. Bought them over the net for 21.50 a carton. Bought 5 cartons, btw and shipping was 5.00, so, the cost per carton was 22.50 with shipping.

But, you can be proud that I stayed in a smoking room, followed all the rules and spoke to a smoker not smoking in a smoking area. That must count for something. Right? Huh, huh!!! ;)

16. GAIL HAYDEN

LOL, actually they are less expensive at Sam's Club or 7-11, but, this time I brought them with me. BTW, I only went to WM once this trip, I don't think I could have tolerated a second visit. ;)

17. BWVDee

BWVDee DIS Veteran

Would this individual happen to be a CM that is an older gentleman orginally from the Garden State? If so I have had the same type of " non customer service" :confused: from him. LOL!

18. GAIL HAYDEN

Not sure what state he is from, I was thinking "land of the lost and hopelessly stupid". I believe his name is either that of a famous horse on old TV or it can be spelled the same way backwards and forwards and begins with "b".

19. Nick@ VB+OKW

Nick@ VB+OKW Registered

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. BWVDee

BWVDee DIS Veteran

Yep, I believe we are speaking of the same person--he is quite unique, to put it mildly and still be nice! LOL!
    He and his family are a very BIG Disney pin collectors/traders/sellers. I have also seen this person pin trading/selling, etc at many big WDW pin events. It is amazing how much he "knows" and how "helpful" he can be when he is in a different environment! LOL! ;)