RUMOR: Overhaul coming to Downtown Disney

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by andyman8, Feb 16, 2013.

1. andyman8

andyman8 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

Well, there might be a thread on another board about this but I think this has something to do with the parks, but mods feel free to move it.

Anyways, another major renovation is rumored for DTD. Hopefully, this one actually materializes, but I'm not a fan of the name Disney Springs. More info here:

http://parkrumors.com/major-facelift-for-planned-downtown-disney/

A brief summary from WDWSource:

Actually, I was at DTD last night.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MinnieLovesMickey

MinnieLovesMickey Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

I'm actually all for the parking garage. It would nice to not have to drive around for 15-20 minutes looking for a parking spot.

4. Crystal824

Crystal824 DIS Veteran

Agreed.

5. Mad Hattered

Mad Hattered I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work.

And with that comes trying to get out of a 5 story parking garage. :rolleyes1

6. ftballfan7

ftballfan7 DIS Veteran

They could alleviate some of the parking issues if they would disallow the use of Disneybusses by those who are not staying on property.

7. MoonFaerie

MoonFaerie DIS Veteran

I do that 5 days a week. In a properly designed garage, it's really no big deal.

8. ChristusG

ChristusG DIS Veteran

All I know is that on one particularly busy evening, I drove around DTD for 45 MINUTES looking for a parking spot. I was so irritated LOL. I'd be all over a parking garage! They need it.

9. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

::yes:: I don't park in one as often as you but we do a decent amount and it's never a big issue.

10. chicagoshannon

chicagoshannon DIS Veteran

I would love a parking garage!

11. JDUCKY

JDUCKY Local Yocal

Parking garage???? Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

12. Micca

Micca Where there's a will, there's an heir

The area definitely needs some work. Parts of DTD are like an abandoned mall(because that's essentially what it is). It was such a vibrant place at one time (remember New Year's Eve every night?). I used to love visiting the shops that were in the section by the nightclubs because I could find Disney merch I hadn't seen anywhere else on property.

A parking garage is a great idea, but I really like the Downtown Disney name. Would kinda hate to see that go. :earsboy:

13. angelmichelle

angelmichelle Mouseketeer

I dislike the new name... what's wrong with Downtown Disney?

14. tcherjen

tcherjen DIS Veteran

I love DTD, so any changes would be neat to see! ;)

15. newdeal

newdeal DIS Veteran

Magicbands to get on the bus will come at some point

16. My 2 princesses

My 2 princesses Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bu

I agree. Will always be DTD to me!

17. mesaboy2

mesaboy2 DIS Veteran

I don't see this happening. There are too many ways for Disney to make money all around WDW from people not staying on property.

18. js

js This is my Tag!

As someone that owns at SSR with college and HS children I am thrilled to hear this happening to DTD. We are lucky we can walk to the nightlife in the evenings. Thanks for the information. Another reason why I love SSR especially with older teens.

19. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

Doubtful, unless room rates and DVC dues increase to cover the transportation subsidy that is part of multi-day park tickets, since multi day tickets include the use of WDW transportation system. Especially with the ever increasing cost of fuel.

Remember, they discontinued the requirement to show resort ID to use the resort bus system in the early 1990s.

20. RnbwSktles

RnbwSktles DIS Veteran

While I agree this would help with parking, I don't think it's a good idea. My family has a timeshare in Orlando that we would go to at least once a year. We didn't go to the Disney parks every time, but we always tried to make a trip to Downtown Disney. On days where we didn't have much to do, we took the busses or water taxis and toured the different hotels. I think this is a huge selling point for Disney. Those who stay off property are doing so because A) they are trying to save money and/or B) don't see the advantage to staying on property. Touring the hotels lets them see how much variety there is and also could convince someone to try one of the hotels in the future. I think this system also allows outsiders to experience how convenient Disney transportation can be. Plus, this allows people to try some of the hotel restaurants when maybe they wouldn't otherwise.

Just my two cents!

21. andyman8

andyman8 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

That's how I feel. While I'm a huge DTD fan, I actually like the name. The other plans seem neat but something bothers me about them changing the name. Other than the name change, I'm all for the DTD changes.