RUMOR: New DVC Property Coming to Contemporary Convention Center Site

There was a second tower in the original plans, but it was nixed during the recession. I wouldn't be surprised that see the plans resurface.

But, this sounds like someone making a conjecture based on that fact and the YC expansion. Maybe an educated guess, but a guess just the same.

A second tower would be cool. I love BLT and the location I'm sure is a big seller for DVC

BUMP - Just recently passed ROFR @ BLT but sweated it out because Disney has been buying back A LOT of BLT contracts, plus they just ramped up the direct sale price/pt. I did a Google search ("why is disney buying bay lake tower") and this came up. News to me - probably not to you, but this does answer a lot of questions. Could this be coming to reality?

BUMP - Just recently passed ROFR @ BLT but sweated it out because Disney has been buying back A LOT of BLT contracts, plus they just ramped up the direct sale price/pt. I did a Google search ("why is disney buying bay lake tower") and this came up. News to me - probably not to you, but this does answer a lot of questions. Could this be coming to reality?
If so it's years down the line because Reflections is coming online in 2022 and they have Riviera to sell too in the mean time. Plus an economic downturn is likely within the next couple years that could even slow down the build out of Reflections. Plus I'm not convinced the Contemporary or Monorail could really support more rooms. If they removed rooms then yes or seriously invested in infrastructure then maybe. This is likely why Reflections is being built instead. Just current state of the infrastructure provides limitation.

If so it's years down the line because Reflections is coming online in 2022 and they have Riviera to sell too in the mean time. Plus an economic downturn is likely within the next couple years that could even slow down the build out of Reflections. Plus I'm not convinced the Contemporary or Monorail could really support more rooms. If they removed rooms then yes or seriously invested in infrastructure then maybe. This is likely why Reflections is being built instead. Just current state of the infrastructure provides limitation.

THere are a couple of transportation options...we all know new monorails are sorely needed. Maybe newer designs would have higher capacity. If the gondola system works out as well as DIsney hopes, they could supplement the monorail by connecting Reflections, WIlderness Lodge, Fort WIlderness and Contemporary to a gondola system, and maybe add a gondola station to MK, stacked on top of the bus stations. But that seems like one heck of an expense...but with Reflections, they may be able to justify it.

Last edited:

I thought the only time the monorail was seriously impacted was @ the end of the day when everyone is trying to get back to the parking lot? Here's a thought - Skyliner to parking lot. That would be relatively easy.

THere are a couple of transportation option...we all know new monorail are sorely needed. Maybe newer designs would have higher capacity. If the gondola system would out as well as DIsney hopes, they could supplement the monorail by connecting Reflections, WIlderness Lodge, Fort WIlderness and Contemporary to a gondola system, and maybe add a gondola station to MK, stacked on top of the bus stations bus stations. But that seems like one heck of an expense...but with Reflections, they may be able to justify it.
Agreed but other infrastructure is a problem in that area too--water and sewer, restaurants, and pools for example (Only so much new can be added before it needs to be a new resort because you'll have a monster at some point). Also a new monorail won't increase capacity which is limited by the resort platform lengths in reality. All new monorails do is increase the reliability of the system and bring it back to peak capacity but ultimate capacity won't be changed. Would CR guests and BLT owners really go for this as it would add more strain to the resort for one that is already quite popular and packed? If I was a BLT owner I would be very upset if they slapped up a new tower without considering all infrastructure (even if they fixed transportation). Also with CR getting to MK isn't really the transportation issue but getting to Epcot is the biggest as these resorts don't have buses so by that nature they have to use the monorail, which is just too costly to beef up.

Now I can see them putting in a gondola system that connects Reflections\FW\WL to MK through the Contemporary. But I think would also want to figure out another connection to Epcot besides the monorail if they did this. Once Reflections gets off the ground I bet we hear some more on its transportation (sometime toward the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021). As for the gondola station it wouldn't need to be on top of the buses isn't there plenty of land just to the south side of them? Looks to me there is. Or Gondola to TTC and move the buses there freeing up that land. But these are all expenses I don't see Disney taking right now and bet Reflections is just another boat (fingers crossed they don't make WL/CCV/BRV share with them or take one of the boats from there to MK bringing them to 1 boat)

Last edited:
As for the gondola station it wouldn't need to be on top of the buses isn't there plenty of land just to the south side of them?
Thee is lands to the South...but there are questions as to its stability, and they may need it for some future project.

As far as monorail capacity, new trains, though limited in width and length by the platforms, could perhaps redesign the interior seating of the cars, maybe placing only one row of seats along one wall of the rain, allowing for more standing passengers. Or they could add a dedicated park to park gondola system between the 4 parks, if it is economically feasible. But even at 16 mph, they would almost have to heat and a/c the gondolas for that long of a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter