Rum Cakes question?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by millerpjm, Sep 7, 2007.

1. millerpjm

millerpjm DIS Veteran

This may be a silly question, but here goes...

One of our stops is Grand Cayman (hopefully) and I've heard about the rum cakes there. But, I thought we couldn't bring food off the ship? So, if I wanted to bring some home, how would I accomplish this? TIA!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nokidz

nokidz thanks Mickey, now I am an addict!!

we cruised mid July on the Wonder for 4 days, so we were at Nassau. We purchased the rum cakes. We had no problems bringing them off the ship. As long as they are sealed, I suspect it will not be a problem.
    Good luck, have a great cruise and YUM!:love:

4. CraftyMouse

CraftyMouse <font color=brown>I am ever so grateful for the te

Yes, as long as they remain sealed you will have no trouble.

5. MBPrincessMoM

MBPrincessMoM Mouseketeer

I agree. Keep them sealed if you want to take them home. So - buy an extra one to eat on board.

6. m&m's mom

m&m's mom <font color=deeppink>Waiting for the waterless cru

Just confirming that as of this week if the cakes are in a sealed container- no problemo. Cruise Director, Christian, said otherwise put them in the "Amnesty Basket" leaving the ship. That is the trashcan.:rotfl2:

7. Perrier

Perrier Mouseketeer

The cakes comes in a sealed box. So only open if you plan on eating all of it. And they are YUMMY, so best to buy 1 just for eating on the ship!

8. webray

webray Love the wineauxs!

The rum cakes from Grand Cayman are fabulous. They come in a couple different sizes, many flavors. They even have sampler packs of three small ones.

No problem taking them off the ship...if you don't open them on the ship of course. You have to leave them sealed up until you get home.

Most of the rum cake shops have samples out for you to try. We haven't found one we didn't like yet, lol. I got them for all my brothers and sisters as a treat, lol. My brother opened it and ate the whole thing before his wife got home from work..he said it was so good he couldn't stop..lol. Cracked me up..lol.

Enjoy!

9. millerpjm

millerpjm DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your replies!

For budgeting purposes...about how much are they?

10. arlinek

arlinek Earning My Ears

I'd like to know if there's a "better" place, price-wise, to purchase them or are all the places about the same?

11. Pansy

Pansy DIS Veteran

The 1 we bought in Nassau was about 30.00 a piece.

12. BigRed1

BigRed1 If life gives you limes, make margaritas!

When we were in GC, my mom bought a Tortuga rum cake sample pack and had them shipped home. They are all good, especially the chocolate rum cakes!! :thumbsup2

13. Pixie Dust for Me!

Pixie Dust for Me! Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on

FYI -- there is also a little Tortuga Rum Cake Factory shop in Key West...it's near the Ben and Jerry's if memory serves me right. They are really yummy...we love the banana, chocolate, original, key lime, coconut....really all of them!

14. Skuba2

Skuba2 DIS Veteran

Another FYI---you can order them any time from the states. We get the tortuga rum cakes about twice a year. The large ones cost $40 to ship and that is including the delivery.

I would buy one cake extra to eat during your cruise. You'll never be able to resist them just sitting in your closet. Plan to indulge. They are soooooooo goooooooddd!!!!

DG

15. webray

webray Love the wineauxs!

In Grand Cayman the prices are all the same...so just purchase and enjoy!

16. cntkg1

cntkg1 <b><font color=blue>Runs with Scissors!!<br><font

Hey Jen! Those cakes are amazing. Expensive, but still amazing. Let's buy a small one and share it on deck 4 one night...ok??:)

17. PBader

PBader <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

You can also buy them on the Magic at Upbeat.:)

18. AnnOminous

AnnOminous Mouseketeer

I'm buying some for Christmas from www.asouthernseason.com - I can drive to the store to get them, they're the same price as they were in Nassau. Not sure how much it'd be to ship them.

19. millerpjm

millerpjm DIS Veteran

Deal! I went to that Tortuga Rum Cake website and they have a chocolate one - must try!!!

20. nokidz

nokidz thanks Mickey, now I am an addict!!

you MUST try the chocolate one....yum!:cool1:

21. stulaurie

stulaurie Mouseketeer

Can young children eat the Rum Cakes? Not sure if the Rum is cooked in the Cake, or Poured on top after baking.

Thanks