Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Thanks @BuckeyeBama for the tip.

I'm only at 12-20 miles per week because I have to fit my workouts into my full time working mom schedule and am unable to run everyday.

I will admit I looked up what "strides" meant because I kinda remember that term from when I was on my rowing team in college and had a hunch it meant more than just 4 steps. And yup, it sounds like what we used to call a "power 10" or "power 20", short bursts of 20 seconds of going from normal to very fast back to normal. I think I will definitely use your formula on Thursday and try it out. I think it may help me to incorporate something like this once a week. Only because I find that 2 miles straight running is easy-peasy for me (well, not as easy as walking but...), it's that last mile+ that I want to be able to kick into high gear to finish strong. This sounds like it will help me with that. And it also sounds kinda fun.

Let's see if I still feel that way after I do it on Thursday :)

So last night didn't go 100% as planned, but I still feel good about it. I was hoping to do my @BuckeyeBama suggested workout outdoors but it started raining and didn't stop until it was already dark out. So I headed to the gym with a plan for me and my best friend, Mr. Treadmill :/

I walked 5 minutes, then ran 2 miles at a 5mph = 12:00 min per mile pace. I kept it relaxed and still worked up a good sweat but was breathing pretty easy and all that. It took me 24 minutes to run the 2 miles, because YAY MATH! I decided I would get myself to 30 minutes by doing what Buckeye had suggested. So I did the fast segments up at 6.5 and 7 and took walking breaks in between and actually took me to 31:30 and I cooled down for 5 min walking.
I did notice during my cool down that the hot spot on the inside arch of my feet was coming back. I was wearing my comfy under armour tech socks that have never given me a problem. I may need to track down some body glide for this weekend. I think it's just residual foot anger from that day that I wore cotton socks. Luckily there's only one teeny tiny not even that bad blister (like the size of a pencil eraser) and the rest was just red that faded by the morning.

So fun stuff for today: I get to go to my very first race expo. How exciting! I'll pick up my bib and t-shirt and gear check and all that stuff, but then maybe I will do something crazy. Please tell me if you all approve or if it crazy.
I got an email that I can sign up for next years races today at a reduced rate and get a pair of free flip flops. The flippies are a "whatever" BUT the price on the 5k is $30 and the 10k is $35.
I should totally sign up for next years 10k right? They have a half marathon for $50 but I'd really rather not run a half in July heat in Chicago, I kinda want to save that distance debut for a Disney race.

So should I? I should right?

Should I get super greedy and sign up for the 5k and 10k next year so I can get three medals...or is that just crazy talk and bling greed? What have I become?

Last edited:
So should I? I should right?

Should I get super greedy and sign up for the 5k and 10k next year so I can get three medals...or is that just crazy talk and bling greed? What have I become?

Definitely sign up for the 10K! It's a great motivator to keep increasing your distance, and $35 is a great price!

In terms of signing up for both ... that's up to you. I'm doing both at Disney, and that's a lot more expensive. But Disney is also a very walker-friendly 5K, and I know that if I don't feel up to running, I can walk it - I'm not sure if RocknRoll is the same. On the other hand, if you ever want to do a challenge at Disney, you may want to get used to the back-to-back race days. I think it's definitely not a crazy thing to do, but only you can decide if it's right for you.

I think I've definitely decided on the 10k for sure, signing up today. Looks like I have time to decide on the 5k. Pre-sale is open for me until towards the end of the month. Maybe I will experience this 5k first before adding it on, since Sarah has a good point about walking/taking it easy on the 5k possibly next year.

It's a weird feeling to be nervous about my first BIG 5k tomorrow and at the same time excited to sign up for a 10k. Haha, just proud of myself for considering it.

There is nothing greedy about it, look at it as offering yourself a challenge...I would totally do both but im also a sucker for bling!!

It's been a full day since my 5k and I've finished sleeping in and napping so I can now recap it.

I'm so glad that I picked up my packet the day before the race. There were thousands of people heading to the race and it was actually less intimidating than I thought it would be. Having so many people made it feel very much like "we are all in it together." We got there about 30 min before the race. My in laws, husband and daughter were there to cheer me on. I didn't know how early to get in the corral so I just waited in the shade along the side until 10 min to start. There were 12 corrals and I was in 7. They let off the first three corrals every 15 sec but then did more min between the others. Corral 6 had so many people in it (maybe people were going to run with friends from other corrals) that they did two waves of that corral. I was off after about the 10:00 mark.
So how did my race go?
Mile 1 was great. Nice and shady with lots of trees. Running along the lake shore drive bike/jog path towards the Field Museum. Everyone running around my level, not too much dodging or weaving. My music went off at .91 miles and I couldn't see my iPhone screen to fix it. So no music on my ears, uh oh. Mile 1 I was just under 10 min. Like 9:40 something. My Nike app kicked off during some panic messing with my app. I just shut my phone totally off and concentrated on running and breathing.
Mile 1 was completely straight, no turns.
Mile 2 had more turns and interest. We went past a rock band playing Jesse's Girl! Went under a bridge, up a hill, around grant park, etc. I passed a lot of people who had slowed down. But I was feeling the heat at this point. I decided once I hit the water table Id drink and then try to get my radio going. I figured out that I had muted it somehow and got it going. I was just above 10 min pace at this point. Official clock was at 29:29 so I was at chip time of 19:29.
And that's when we hit mile 3...aka the toughest run challenge I've ever faced. I should have known by the ominous hard rock band playing as we turned onto the lake path back towards the finish.
There was zero shade. This was a straight mile in full sunshine in what felt like 100 degrees with the sun coming straight at us. It was pothole city as the winter was not kind to the path. And it was a sea of people starting to walk/run. Myself included. I kept jogging staring at the ground trying to avoid the potholes and trying to dodge walkers while not cutting off faster runners. I hit a mental wall about half way and told myself I'd just walk from one streetlight pole to another. At one point I found myself walking what felt like 5 min, but was in reality probably only 2. I just was really really hot. The straight shot made it seem like the next goal was so far away. I finally snapped myself out of it and started just doing bursts of running with little speed walks. There was one hill at the end. A girl next to me said. Almost there, let's race. She got ahead of me but I caught her by a small margin at the end. We are both waving to the camera in sync so I hope I get that pic.
My final result was 32:58 with a 10:37 pace. I was thrilled. I didn't beat my "under 30" goal, but I had a pace I was very proud of for what was my most challenging run to date. That last mile was something. And it took a while to recover from it. I ended up 39% overall. I won't even spend more than a second wondering the "what if" I just kept running instead of taking all those walk breaks at the end. I was just happy I kept moving forward.
I'll work towards my under 30 goal for the cooler fall.

Some nice things to say about the race...very well organized, very encouraging and nice volunteers and nice post race set up. They couldn't help it was the hottest and most humid day of the year. If that sun wasn't pounding at the end it could have been my best race. The scenery downtown was so pretty. I heard a woman won the 10k overall and that's inspiring. I hope everyone survived their own runs this weekend. Stay hydrated and in the shade my friends.

I don't have an August race but am going to try for two in Sept. One in Oct and one in Nov.

My new goals: beat the mile three mental walk block. Try to run through it. Doesn't have to be super fast.
And just keep up the three times a week thing.
And figure out a better setting up my music and app race situation.

I ended my night having sushi with friends and watching Taylor Swift concert at Soldier Field. So ended my night Shaking it Off. My feet may fall off now, but was a great day. Good runDisney practice too :)

Thanks for reading my ramblings! I'm not running again til Tuesday. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Congratulations!

It sounds like conditions were less than ideal, but you did awesome! It's definitely hard when you hit a mental block, but you'll get better at powering through soon and hopefully you'll hit that PR when the weather gets better!

First off...awesome job!!!

I just was really really hot.

Nothing will derail a run faster than this and sadly once it happens there isn't a whole lot you can do after the fact, its really one of those things you have to get used to and know how to handle ahead of time, I am in Georgia where its been averaging in the mid to high 90's and 50+% humidity so I know if I am going to run that I need to hydrate ALL DAY and I know to take it easy when I have to get out in the peak of it. Running in the heat is just something you have to do to get used to and now that you know what it feels like you will be better prepared to handle it next time

beat the mile three mental walk block. Try to run through it. Doesn't have to be super fast.
And just keep up the three times a week thing.

You can do it, you have the perfect attitude, I have that conversation with myself all the time when I am reaching the end of a tough run and want to do nothing but walk the rest of the way, I always tell myself "look it doesn't have to be fast but you ARE going to run the rest of this" just keep at it with training and you will break through that wall no problem, speaking of training not sure where you are at specifically but one thing you can try is to actually get a run here or here where you go say 3.5 or 4 miles doesn't have to be fast or anything but trying pushing your body just a bit beyond what you are used to then when it comes race day and you hit that point you know you will have it in you to keep on going just a tip :teeth:

Thanks everyone for the kinds words. And for the good advise @Neoflynn I appreciate you all stopping by my journal!

I think I thought I was prepared for the heat. Hydrating a lot leading up the whole week of the race once I saw the forecasts. But I guess until you get there you just don't know. But now I know. When the temps get that high...maybe do much slower jogging from the get go.
I think my motto for this journal should be "but now I know!" haha

I was talking with my husband about trying to get in longer runs on my weekend outdoor runs. I despise long runs on the treadmill but really enjoy them outdoors. So I think now that I really don't have a real race lined up until September, getting myself to the 4 mile point on the weekend is a pretty good goal to keep me motivated to keep on doing this running thing until Sept. I'd also like to check out one of our nearby outdoor tracks to try that out sometime.

Oh, I forgot to bring up one thing. Morning of race nervous stomach. How do you all deal with that "I don't think I want to eat anything" nervous belly. Anyone ever felt that way? It's not race exclusive for me. I tend not to feel like I can eat anything before big meetings, or anytime I have to be somewhere early...like going to the airport. Even when I have to go somewhere fun...I just get early morning anxiousness that affects me not wanting or being able to eat. I managed to stomach a half of a bagel and a banana and bunch of water. But it took a ton of effort to get it down. Luckily I ate properly the day before.
It's happened every single race for me.

Oh, I forgot to bring up one thing. Morning of race nervous stomach. How do you all deal with that "I don't think I want to eat anything" nervous belly. Anyone ever felt that way? It's not race exclusive for me. I tend not to feel like I can eat anything before big meetings, or anytime I have to be somewhere early...like going to the airport. Even when I have to go somewhere fun...I just get early morning anxiousness that affects me not wanting or being able to eat. I managed to stomach a half of a bagel and a banana and bunch of water. But it took a ton of effort to get it down. Luckily I ate properly the day before.
It's happened every single race for me.
I know what I can eat safely and I make myself eat it, no matter how I feel. Within a few minutes of the race start that feeling is in the past - but if you have not eaten, you will wreck your entire run. Take the chance.

I did not run last night. I ate a double cheese melt from Culvers and cheese curds. I had it with a diet pepsi. I felt full, really really really full. And this time of month had me feeling less than willing to move. And then I got extra lazy and stayed home. I should of at least gone for a treadmill walk at the very least.

I won't beat myself up for not being perfect. None of us are. But I'm writing it here to be accountable for it. Back on the saddle tonight means I still can do my three times a week.

I made much better decisions today. Ate a healthy pasta and veggie dinner. Actually went out running! Ran 3.25 miles without walking. Started much slower and had negative splits every mile. Set my Nike app to update me every .25 miles and I liked that!
Even sprinted (well my version at least) the last .25 miles. Yes I kept going after 3.1 because it made sense to get to my block.
I'm happy to get over that mental hurdle at least for right now. Also didn't hurt it was "only" 75 deg and dusk this time.

I'm starting the Nike Coach on 8/3 that is supposed to help me to a PR for my 9/26 5k. I'll keep up my normal routine until then.

Yay! Feeling better than yesterday :)

The bling monster got me good! Today is the last day for the RNR Chicago cheapo prices. I reminded my husband in case he wanted to do the 5k next year while I did the 10k the next day. He was on board. And then I went ahead and signed myself up for the 5k too. My first "challenge" of any sort.
I'm feeling good about my decision. I've got options...walk it, run it slow like a shakeout run, run it normal if I have that fitness level by then. All based on the weather too I'm sure. And of course, conquer that dang mile three that got me this year.
Thinking it will be a pretty great excuse for a stay-cation, hotel in the city and all :)

Running again tonight. Let's see if I can get myself to 3.5 miles tonight. Inching my way up to 4. Was very proud of hubby for doing the dreaded week 5 C25k 20 minute straight run today. I remember how hard that was for me when I first did it.

The bling monster got me good! Today is the last day for the RNR Chicago cheapo prices. I reminded my husband in case he wanted to do the 5k next year while I did the 10k the next day. He was on board. And then I went ahead and signed myself up for the 5k too. My first "challenge" of any sort.
I'm feeling good about my decision. I've got options...walk it, run it slow like a shakeout run, run it normal if I have that fitness level by then. All based on the weather too I'm sure. And of course, conquer that dang mile three that got me this year.
Thinking it will be a pretty great excuse for a stay-cation, hotel in the city and all :)

Yay! You definitely have a lot of options for the 5K, and I think a race weekend in the city is a great staycation idea! And it'll be a good excuse for your husband to keep running too - if you're running the race, he has to do it too, so he better keep up with his C25K!

My phone is gonna go low battery on me any second so I'll just leave a brief run review. I had another solid "negative splits" run today. Even though we are only talking about 10 seconds-ish.
I tried a new radio station on iTunes called Kpop...as in Korean pop. I am not Korean and I do not speak Korean, but my sister and my brother-in-law are big fans and sent me his playlist. It was really perfect upbeat running music. I literally had no idea what was being said and I think maybe that was ok for me today.
I really like these two songs in case anyone wants to add them to their run lists and then tell me if I'm crazy or of they liked them :)

Crazy by the group 4minute
I am the best by the group 2NE1

I also ate pretty terribly this weekend. Backyard bbqs, ice cream sandwiches...time to get more responsible this week!!

Thing roxymama learned last night: My tech shirt from my last race is actually a glow in the dark shirt!

I figured that out because I was not back inside my house until about 9pm.
Was out so late because I got past a mileage hurdle last night. I did not flat out run it. I did a hybrid of running and "speed" walking/shuffling because it just felt like the best way for me to get there. The air was thick with humidity and although it was not sunny, it was muggy. My coach app that starts August 3rd to get me in PR mode for my late Sept race has some longer runs coming for me and I wanted to kind of be able to do that. Plus Neoflynn and some others have talked about adding distance as a good way to increase my endurance.
I'm not sure what the best term for shuffling/running very slowly/almost speed walking is...Not quite jogging...how about Schmogging? Well, there was a lot of that during my "walk" portions. And I actually ran very well and felt very good during my run portions.
I ran a mile, walked .5, ran a mile, walked .5 (I was going to run the next mile but I actually just ran .5 and walked the last .5...like for real walking)
So I guess...does that count as 4 or only 3.5 with a .5 mile cool down? I dunno, don't care really. My gps said 4 at the end of the day and it's never said that before.
Thank goodness for the little app lady talking in my ear because as good as I am at math while in a static state at my work desk, I'm complete garbage at it while physically exerting myself. My final average pace was 12.29 according to the little app lady. I imagine she is quite little, since she has to fit in my earbud and all.

I may still be delirious from last night. I also may still be sweating. I didn't feel that sweaty in the moment during the workout. But after my shower I had that "Am I still wet from my shower or is this still sweat" feeling for like an hour.

I've been really loving reading all these journals lately, there seems to be so many active ones all of a sudden. It really does motivate me.

Roxymama and her really rambling ramblings signing off

I will not get the opportunity to run until Monday, but it works out that my Nike+ coach session starts 8/3. I'm peaking ahead to see what is in store for me and writing it here to hold myself accountable to it! I may need some hints from you all on what you like to do for "cross train" as I pretty much have only been just walking and running lately. I'm thinking maybe bike or elliptical at my gym. Does that count?

It's an 8 week session that ends in my St. Xavier Cougar Run 5k on 9/26. I'm trying for a PR on my home turf. If I like this coach thing, maybe I'll use it again for 10k training.

Week 1 of 8
Mon 8/3: Run 3 miles
1 mile warmup, then 1.5 miles of fartlek (3 min faster pace, 3 min slower pace), finish .5 miles light cooldown

Tue 8/4: Cross Train (has not time...what do you all suggest?)

Wed 8/5: REST (and stretch)

Thur 8/6: Run 3 miles.
Run 2 miles comfortable pace, Finish last 1 mile at a faster pace.

Fri 8/7: Run 4 miles
All at comfortable pace

Sat 8/8: REST (and stretch)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter