Room Requests - how many is too many?

luvdiz

Mouseketeer
It seems like there are so many things you can request.
We are staying at WL in Sept. with a woods view so I've requested Bunk Beds as well as a crib. I would really like to request a room on the North wing (love to luck into the fireworks/MK view). It's my son's 5th birthday so I would love for that to be in the reservation as well.

I just hate to call and put in so many requests - any advice?

Personally I would say anything over 3 requests would be too much.

You'll want to keep your request in for the bunk beds. There are only so many rooms that have this. I wouldn't even worry about the crib. We've always just asked for one when we checked in, along with a fridge (now fridges are included), and they brought them both within 30 minutes or so.

I don't think requesting a location (North wing) and bunk beds is too much, as long as those requests aren't mutually exclusive (such as no bunk bed rooms in the north wing).

Keep in mind that if enough people check in before you, though, with the exact same requests, or even just request it upon check-in, WDW will give it to the party checking in, rather than holding it as a guaranteed room for the early requester who has not checked in yet.

But I can't imagine you would not get what you're requesting. Again, unless they're mutually exclusive requests, they don't sound all that hard for WL to meet. I think you could request everything you list and it won't be a problem.

You can put your son's b-day on the ressie, but don't expect anything for it. The most we got from this was a kind "Happy Birthday" from the check-in CM. What really makes for a birthday treat is to mention the birthday on any ADR's. We got a free birthday cake and "Happy birthday" song for our DD's 5th last year at the Biergarten in the Germany pavilion. Don't expect these things, though. You just never know.

I will add to make sure to stop at Guest Relations at all the parks when you enter, and pick up a birthday pin for your son. CM's really notice those pins and go out of their way to wish Happy Birthday.

Priority!!

Take it from one who has visited WDW 2+ times a year for many years and only a few times gotten my requests (but always had great rooms anyway!). Be hopefull but remember its only a request. I would list them in order of importance and then only request the top two.

Good news - you don't have to request a crib - one will be in the room or houskeeping will bring one. Also while its a good idea to mention the birthday that really dosen't count as a room request. Have it noted on the reservation and or mention it at check in but in 6 birthday visits we have only had pixie dust twice. IMHO your better off booking a special meal and ordering a cake or other surprises yourself to make sure there is magic on the birthday.

So, if I were you I would decide which was more important the bunk beds or the woods view and request only one or request both in order of importance.

TJ

tjmw2727 said:
So, if I were you I would decide which was more important the bunk beds or the woods view and request only one or request both in order of importance.

I agree, but wanted to note that woods view at WL is not a request. It's a room category, costing more than standard view and less than courtyard view. If you book a category, you're guaranteed a room in that category, so there's no need to request a woods view. This should at least make prioritization easier. ;)

I try to keep requests to 2, no more than three. And I would always request your most wanted request first. I always request non-smoking first as it is my biggest priority. Next would be view or building/longhouse.

Other than what upgrades I've paid for (preferred room, type of room), I've never gotten any other requests @ check-in that I've wanted. Usually I ask for Toy Story @ AS, upper floor everywhere else.

Not a big deal IMO. I can just imagine CM laughing & tossing all those 2 page faxed requests.

When you check-in, nicely repeat your preferences again. If they're available, you'll get them.

I'm starting to think that all rooms are assigned on a room-ready basis (ala DVC) but, I could be wrong.

grimley1968 said:
Keep in mind that if enough people check in before you, though, with the exact same requests, or even just request it upon check-in, WDW will give it to the party checking in, rather than holding it as a guaranteed room for the early requester who has not checked in yet.

So do you think that the earlier you get there to check in makes a difference? I haven't booked my plane tickets yet...

Last time I stayed at WL, I had the crib request in the reservation and when I checked in, she commented on it and said, "Oh, you need a crib, I bet you'd be more comfortable in a Villa, let me upgrade you!" If only I could have that kind of pixie dust again!!! :teeth: We did get there around noon that day - I just had never made the connection that it could make a difference!

I think it is easier to accommodate one request over two requests, and two requests over three requests, so I figure the more requests I put in the more likely I won't get any of them.

i agree with bicker
i have two request for our august stay Hawaii bulding 1st or 3rd floor that is it
the more requests the more difficult
you cant always get all of them so request what is most important to you

luvdiz said:
So do you think that the earlier you get there to check in makes a difference? I haven't booked my plane tickets yet...

Last time I stayed at WL, I had the crib request in the reservation and when I checked in, she commented on it and said, "Oh, you need a crib, I bet you'd be more comfortable in a Villa, let me upgrade you!" If only I could have that kind of pixie dust again!!! :teeth: We did get there around noon that day - I just had never made the connection that it could make a difference!

Definitely the earlier you arrive the better. If you come in later than most people you get what's left. If you get there early, even if your room isn't ready you can check in, go over your requests and what's going to be available and get into the system. And I think two requests, three at most is what you stand the most chance of getting. I know when I worked at a hotel years ago, when people would start in with the "I need's" and "I want's" the front desk personel assigning rooms would do a little passive agressive payback for all of those requests.

Apparently in our case three requests was too much. We requested at POFQ Building 5 or 6, 3rd floor, no-smoking. All we got was the no-smoking. They told us that if we had arrived earlier (we got there at 4:00 p.m.) they could have accommodated us better.

I stopped bothering to make requests, since I never got them anyways. Some people here seem to always get them, and some like me never do. And keep in mind that bunk beds aren't guarenteed, so be prepared to use two queen beds. We requested bunks once and didn't get them. :(

I wondered if my number of requests got me an upgrade at the BC - we requested no smoking, room w/daybed and room close to the lobby. We got a waterview (booked standard) at the concierge, w/ a daybed. I wondered if we got that b/c they could not match our requests and upgraded so we would not gripe. Now the year before we were at POFQ and had pubic hair (from previous guests?in the bathroom that was not cleaned for 4 days after numerous requests. I called after leaving and they comped one night, I also wondered if they bumped us for that reason, would they keep track?
Just a note : we checked in around 10 am so we were early and actually the cm who checked us in was suprised that we got the upgrade, she asked us how we got that??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter