Room Downgrade @ Checkin - Common?

mississaugamom

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a Disney vacation and had a one-night reservation at Pop Century after our cruise on the Disney Fantasy. A Preferred room was booked and paid for months ahead but when we checked in we were told that our room was in the 90's building. I asked when that became "preferred" and did not get a direct answer - just a repeat that "our" room was 9336. I continued to press about where the preferred rooms were since that's what I booked, and finally got a mumbled "I guess that's what the note on your file means". She then told us we had been "downgraded" and she would have to refund the difference on the card used to book !!!!!:mad:

We were not going to be given a preferred room even if we waited, so we took the refund but I was not happy about it. The room we had was a long way out (annoying with all our cruise luggage!) and it was not an enjoyable stay.

Has this happened to others? Is there anything I could have done rather than just accept this? After this experience, I think we're done with the Value resorts (no available parking, chaotic food court, minimal storage space in the rooms with the refridge addition) but I was very disappointed in getting a downgrade like this.

I've had it happen to me twice, both times at the All Star Music.:mad:

I have to say, I think Disney is dropping the ball on this, big time. I know I know, all you are guaranteed is a room on Disney property, but really? You can't figure out how many preferred rooms you have, and not oversell them? Or would it kill you to upgrade people if something happens and you don't have a preferred room for them?

Please e-mail Disney and tell them that what you ended up with was not acceptable. Maybe if enough people complain they will get the hint that just refunding your extra fee is not ok. If they mess up, they shouldn't downgrade people.

I would not have taken a downgrade. You booked and paid for a preferred room. I would have asked to speak to a manager. I have never heard of anyone not getting the room they booked or better....if they had over booked the preferred room category they should have upgraded you to a moderate resort. Or given you a refund of the entire cost and let you stay for free.

If the OP had a longer stay and gotten downgraded then I could see raising a stink. OP had 1 night booked and if the resort oversold preferred, I'm sure they would rather give the room to guests with a longer stay. The OP though downgraded and inconvenienced got a refund and a decent room for the night. I think that was reasonable for the situation.

I would not have taken a downgrade. You booked and paid for a preferred room. I would have asked to speak to a manager. I have never heard of anyone not getting the room they booked or better....if they had over booked the preferred room category they should have upgraded you to a moderate resort. Or given you a refund of the entire cost and let you stay for free.

You would think--but it doesn't work that way. I was told in no uncertain terms that a standard room was all that they would give me, and that no other value resort had preferred rooms available. And it was the manager I was talking to at the time.

I don't think it is reasonable at all to downgrade a guest. At all! If it was only for one night, what would be the big deal of upgrading the OP? When I was home from my trip I did send off an e-mail, and someone from Disney called me back. And while I was told they are not supposed to downgrade people, it seems that they continue to do it. After all, they know that there is only so much time people want to spend arguing with them, and if you want a room on WDW property they hold all the strings.

We just got back from a Disney vacation and had a one-night reservation at Pop Century after our cruise on the Disney Fantasy. A Preferred room was booked and paid for months ahead but when we checked in we were told that our room was in the 90's building. I asked when that became "preferred" and did not get a direct answer - just a repeat that "our" room was 9336. I continued to press about where the preferred rooms were since that's what I booked, and finally got a mumbled "I guess that's what the note on your file means". She then told us we had been "downgraded" and she would have to refund the difference on the card used to book !!!!!:mad:

We were not going to be given a preferred room even if we waited, so we took the refund but I was not happy about it. The room we had was a long way out (annoying with all our cruise luggage!) and it was not an enjoyable stay.

Has this happened to others? Is there anything I could have done rather than just accept this? After this experience, I think we're done with the Value resorts (no available parking, chaotic food court, minimal storage space in the rooms with the refridge addition) but I was very disappointed in getting a downgrade like this.

Yes, happened to us at BWI. And we weren't told out right either. We were given a studio at BWV without enough real beds for our party (we got an aerobed for our 5th person instead of the day bed/couch - after we went back to the front desk and asked what what going on). It wasted a bunch of our time and there was no apology. I totally understand :mad: Our ressie was also for 1 night.

I do wish check in CMs would be upfront and tell you immediately you will not be getting the room you booked.

You should have been offered an upgrade to a moderate resort, and/or offered a very hefty discount on a downgrade. What happened to you is unacceptable.

I have to be honest, with the money we all spend there, if the CM isn't first looking at you're booking history before attempting a stunt like this, they are nuts. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms, if they cannot provide the room booked and paid for, I'd be canceling my room and taking my money OFF property. I'd also be calling CRO, explaining what happened, and see if they could find me another room on property.

We have been going every other year since 2007, and after our last trip this past Nov, decided to increase to every year. Our upcoming trip this Nov, we decided to request bunk bed room at WL for the kids (surprise trip) so they wouldn't know if we didn't get them, but my wife & I would...and for what it costs to stay at WL, I'd be getting what I paid for, or I'd be transferring to another resort!

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32GB using the DISBoards App

I have to be honest, with the money we all spend there, if the CM isn't first looking at you're booking history before attempting a stunt like this, they are nuts.

Trust me, they don't look at your booking history. When I was downgraded the second time, I told the CM checking me in that it had happened to me before. He looked horrified! However, the manager wouldn't bend at all.

They get away with it because all you are booking is a room on Disney property. Everything else is subject to change. But you would think they would do a better job of managing their room inventory, and try to upgrade people if they could, instead of downgrading them.

Should I add that at first they tried to blame me? I arrived "late" at 7pm, and apparently even though I had used on line check in, that didn't count.

Not sure what happened but sometimes rooms go out of service unexpectedly. Pipe breaks, AC goes out, etc.

I just remembered another time we got bumped - I booked standard view 1 br dvc villa (used to be pool or standard view) and was given an 'upgrade' to savanna view at AKL. I was not happy as I had booked the category I did to be near center of resort. I did insist on getting what I booked, and I did, but it involved arguing with a manager and member services, a long wait, and the room probably had been taken out of service because it had issues.

So it happens. And I think if they can offer you something better, and you stay nice, they will. But if they can't, they can't. I haven't been willing to take my money and go someplace off site because time is too precious when I'm on vacation!

I don't care what their issues are. If they allowed you to book a 1 night preferred room reservation and you paid for a 1 night preferred room reservation then you should have it or something better. What if the reason for the preferred room was a mobility issue or a medical issue.

I don't think I would stop at an e-mail. And the only reason I would not take my money else where was if I had booked free dining. And even then I would consider leaving. Disney considers us their guests----would you ask your guests to downgrade?

If they have overbooked then they should upgrade for free! Or if the guest would rather have a discount, then fine. I don't care if you are booked 1 day or 2 weeks, but to force a downgrade is unacceptable.

They get away with it because all you are booking is a room on Disney property. .

I think your wrong, you paid for a certain catagory and you should get it, it is that simple. It would be different if every room is the same price and you put in your request 2 years prior and you faxed and on ana on and on.

I would have stood there untill I was given what I paid for or upgraded to another resort in a higher catagory period. I would have kept asking for a manager until I finally got one that was willing to do what I wanted. I would be very quiet about the whole thing but persistant. There would be no need to pitch a big o fit but standing your ground, there is nothing wrong with that. For one night, I am sure they could find something for you.

It happens. Sometimes things happen that take rooms out of inventory. All Disney is required to do by law is make things even. That could mean a preferred room at another resort or a refund. I would never expect anything else. I get being disappointed, but I don't quite understand the outrage (unless they attempted to downgrade you without offering a refund).

And I should point out that it's not just at Disney where this can happen. So I am not defending Disney in this case. I am simply explaining how it can happy, Disney or not, and what should be expected, Disney or not.

I think your wrong, you paid for a certain catagory and you should get it, it is that simple. It would be different if every room is the same price and you put in your request 2 years prior and you faxed and on ana on and on.

Actually every WDW reservation has a clause which means that all you are guaranteed is a room on Disney property. Anything else is subject to availability. I get they do it to protect themselves, in case something happens outside of their control. What I don't get is not taking care of the people you do bump. It should never be ok to just downgrade a guest.

I have taken flack from other posters for pointing out that connecting rooms are not 100% guaranteed. This illustrates why. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, and you do yourself no favor by thinking it is. Still, imho, you should at least get what you pay for or better.

What if you hadn't pressed the issue and just taken the room that they assigned? Would they have allowed you to go to your non-preferred room and not credited you for the difference?? Sounds like it to me, and that makes the situation even in worse!

There shouldn't be a preferred booking category if they can't guarantee that you will be in a preferred room. Not only does it make Disney look bad, but it puts the front desk staff in a tough spot. THEY aren't the ones that assigned the room, but they take the heat when guests are rightly PO'd. Sounds like a situation that could get out of hand if it isn't corrected. The real problem is that there is always someone else willing to hand Disney their money, and unless everyone that has this happen complains endlessly, it will continue to happen.

You don't pay for connecting rooms, or corner room, or 5th floor. You do pay for preferred and I am sorry, not gonna happen to us, simply sorry. Disney has and continues to upgrade guest all the time, so the thinking that an upgrade should not be expected when the room I paid for is not available, is not out of the rehlm of possiblity.

I have the terms and conditions in front of me now and not seeing that info on the documents I have. Under the ROOM LOCATION AND INFORMATION clause does not mention your information but does mention that requests for specific room type or location may result in additional charges to be paid directly to the hotel (I assume your request bldg 14 which is prefered but you only paid for standard).

The only part that does hint that Disney can change or cancel at any time under the General Conditions and Responsibility clause refers to the guest comitting fraudulant or misleading activity in making the reservation.

I hope you can shed some light on this as it is great to have correct information when presenting an argument at check in of guest rights.

Trust me, they don't look at your booking history...

actually, i think it depends on the CM - when we checked in to our resort in June, the CM not only commented that she saw we had just visited in December and asked how we enjoyed the Polynesian (where we stayed in Dec.), but also commented that she saw a wedding/honeymoon notification on our next visit in November, and offered us an early congratulations. I think they can see it, but i don't know the extent of the detail that's captured or if something like being downgraded from a paid-for location could be recorded. But the CM definitely had our previous and our next trip right in front of her when we checked in. I wonder if some just don't bother to look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter