• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Assignments???

KPtoys

Life is a perpetual vacation
So here I am reading a bunch of things and I just have a question. I know from reading around here the resis are sent to the hotel 5 days or so in advance and there is someone is in charge of placing us... but then I've also read that the person checking us in actually places us in our room. Who really makes the decision?? I ask because we are going in 17 days and I want to be near the other family we are going with. Do the people who get the resi look to see who is coming and going or is it up to the people behind the desk to see whos leaving when we arrive??

It depends, sometimes they assign the room in advance, sometimes, they assign it at check-in.

Just call CRO and add a request to your reservation, asking that you be put near the other family. If they've got a separate reservation, they can call and request to be near your room, too. Whoever assigns the room will see that request, whether it's done in advance or at check-in.

You can also discuss this with the CM who's checking you in. Just mention that you'd added a request to be near the other family, and even if your room's already been assigned and it's not near your friends, the CM will probably be able to get your a room closer to them, unless the resort is completely packed.

They really do try to accommodate your requests if at all possible.

yep. It is also a game of specificity. The more specificity you put on, the lower the chance of them being able to accomodate. But, they certainly try and tend to be very workable. It is usually a better idea to request early because many of the rooms are already assigned by the time you arrive at the desk.

Have you called reservations and added the travel with information? That way they will know to place you close to each other. Just call reservations and tell them you are traveling with another party and they will link the reservations in the systems.

Yes we are linked in the system. Since we check in rather early, 11 amish, does that give is s better chance of being able to be moved if we are apart assuming there is space of course?

If the two reservations are already linked in the system and you are checking in at 11:00, I wouldn't worry about it until you check in. Then just ask the Cast Member if the other party is near to you. I would say your chances of everything being fine are about 99.99999999% in your favor.

Actually the reservations are viewed by the resort 10 days in advance now, so you can call and harass, I mean ask them to assign them together 10 days in advance

Actually the reservations are viewed by the resort 10 days in advance now, so you can call and harass, I mean ask them to assign them together 10 days in advance

While the rooms may be blocked out that far in advance, nothing is set in stone until the guest has their room key in hand. On almost every occasion, I have been allowed to change my room assignment when checking in. so, lets say I have been assigned room number 2334. But when I get to the checkin desk, I find that that area is not a great one for me, so they allow me to choose a different room. I choose number 3445. Now, if that room had been assigned previously, that person would end up having a different room. And yes, I've been told, in person, by the resort checkin staff that they do it that way. Unless the resort is close to full, you have a good chance of being able to change your room assignment. So, it's sorta a 'guideline' when they assign you a room several days in advance.
Your best bet is to be sure the reservations are tied together. That's what we did when we had two families staying at POR years ago. We actually ended up in connecting rooms....perhaps a little too close in hindsight!!!
However, no way would I start calling the resort to make my requests. Just call whoever you booked your room with originally, and have them note your special requests/needs. You should be fine.

This is really confusing!
I made a request on my reservation for a certain section of the resort but I won't be able to check in until 10:30pm. Does that mean that everyone who checks in ahead of me gets to bump my room around and I get left with whatever is left when I get there? That doesn't seem right. Seems like if I make a request with my reservation, someone else should not be able to check in before me and bump me out of my room!
Can someone clarify?

While the rooms may be blocked out that far in advance, nothing is set in stone until the guest has their room key in hand. On almost every occasion, I have been allowed to change my room assignment when checking in. so, lets say I have been assigned room number 2334. But when I get to the checkin desk, I find that that area is not a great one for me, so they allow me to choose a different room. I choose number 3445. Now, if that room had been assigned previously, that person would end up having a different room. And yes, I've been told, in person, by the resort checkin staff that they do it that way. Unless the resort is close to full, you have a good chance of being able to change your room assignment. So, it's sorta a 'guideline' when they assign you a room several days in advance.
Your best bet is to be sure the reservations are tied together. That's what we did when we had two families staying at POR years ago. We actually ended up in connecting rooms....perhaps a little too close in hindsight!!!
However, no way would I start calling the resort to make my requests. Just call whoever you booked your room with originally, and have them note your special requests/needs. You should be fine.

Obviously everyone's situation is different and circumstances are not the same. I have met cm and managers who all say different things regarding the reservation process. They can politely tell you that room is taken and you could never know if it was or wasn't.

T. . . I made a request on my reservation for a certain section of the resort but I won't be able to check in until 10:30pm. Does that mean that everyone who checks in ahead of me gets to bump my room around and I get left with whatever is left when I get there? . . .

1) Yes, pretty much.
2) Very few room assignments are cast-in-stone and unable to be moved.
3) These are usually
. . . handicapped rooms
. . . some connecting rooms
. . . some adjoining rooms
. . . some Grand Gathering rooms
. . . other specifically assigned rooms.
4) The remaining room assignments can usually be moved around.
5) The earlier you check-in the better.
6) Remember, NO rooms are grauranteed. None.
7) Regardless what the ressie or confirmation says

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter