Roll In Shower room ?????

dclfun said:
I will be calling the reservations department today, speaking with a supervisor in Special Services and following up with an email to guest communications. When I get the right address I'll pass it on. Even if people aren't planning to stay at these resorts we should all still send an email. The excuse of the resort being older really doesn't apply after a renovation and even without a planned total building renovation there should be retrofitting to allow the disabled equal access. Saying that you can stay in one building but have access to the concierge building ( or floor) is not equal access and is discriminatory. Stephanie- I'm sorry you can't have what you want for your visit too. ----Kathy

ITA
Count me in.

OT kinda (I do not want to hijack your thread) but I was also very disappointed when Disney renovated The Land at Epcot and did not add a second elevator. It is such a pity they only have one small elevator in that huge building.

Have fun at Disney!

dclfun said:
I will be calling the reservations department today, speaking with a supervisor in Special Services and following up with an email to guest communications. When I get the right address I'll pass it on. Even if people aren't planning to stay at these resorts we should all still send an email. The excuse of the resort being older really doesn't apply after a renovation and even without a planned total building renovation there should be retrofitting to allow the disabled equal access. Saying that you can stay in one building but have access to the concierge building ( or floor) is not equal access and is discriminatory. Stephanie- I'm sorry you can't have what you want for your visit too. ----Kathy

Thanks Kathy!
I asked reservations if I could pay the same price for a CL room and get the Conceirge benefits but stay in Rapa Nui for the roll in shower & they said that couldn't be done either :confused3
Please keep me posted on what the supervisor tells you.

minnie61650 said:
ITA
Count me in.

OT kinda (I do not want to hijack your thread) but I was also very disappointed when Disney renovated The Land at Epcot and did not add a second elevator. It is such a pity they only have one small elevator in that huge building.

Have fun at Disney!
To add to the hijack-

I totally agree with you. We were in the Land several times over a 10 day trip this year April/May and DH and DD had to wait for the elevator going down at least 10 minutes each time. (Going back up was usually shorter).
We always split up and had only DD and DH going down in the elevator, while the rest of us used the stairs or escalators. Most of the time, DH noticed that the elevator would be filled with a party of one in a wheelchair and all the rest of their party - that meant each trip usually only accomidated one wheelchair. In one trip to the building, the waiting line was about 40 people long - with 4 wheelchairs.

We found that every time we entered the building, the CM at the door saw we had a wheelchair and directed us to where the elevator was (they didn't miss even once). Since we have been there many times and were aware of the elevator issues, the rest of our party just automatically headed for the stairs. I'm sure many people (especially those on their first visit don't know to do that).
Since they only have one small elevator, I think the CMs greeting people at the door should mention that the elevator is small and they would appreciate limiting the party using it to those who need to use it, rather than the whole party.

dclfun said:
I don't have time to look right now for the part of the ADA that would address this, but Michigan or (sorry, for not remembering the name, but I'm having a mental block - Cash, the Wonder Dog's owner) probably know offhand because they are both very good on these issues.

(Paraphrasing) It does say that rooms in each type need to be accessible. I believe it exempts renovations that are cosmetic, which may be how they are avoiding offering them. But, I totally agree that having access to the Concierge building, but not being able to stay there is not anywhere near the same access as staying in the building.

Looking forward to getting the address.

I completely agree about the Land. Good suggestion about the CMs suggesting the stairs, Sue. :thumbsup2

steffali, we have been told we could add concierge to a stay at Rapa Nui. Were you told no by Disney Reservation Center or Special Requests? It was Special Requests that told us we could. Can't remember how long ago it was though. :confused3

But I would never do that anyway. The two buildings are not close enough to make it convenient.

If it is any consolation, there are three advantages to Rapa Nui over Hawaii. The rooms are considerably larger....a really noticeable difference which is nice with a wheelchair or two. Secondly, there is a small parking lot that is incredibly convenient at Rapa Nui if you will have a car. It is the best parking situation I have seen at any resort. Thirdly, the garden views in Rapa Nui are prettier than those in Hawaii in my opinion. And you will not have a view of the parking lot....all the accessible rooms are on the courtyard side.

Of course, a lagoon view is not an option in Rapa Nui. But when I was told of the accessible rooms to be added at Hawaii last year...the change that did not happen.....the CM told me that the one that was going to have a rollin shower was to be garden view anyway. :rolleyes:

I was told to write to www.guest.communications@disney.com and to include all details, including the reason for the trip and what I was told by the CM. While the renovations at the Poly were cosmetic they included replacing all the bathroom fixtures, etc. so I don't know why a roll in shower in the concierge building wasn't included. Beach Club recently renovated their accessible rooms too, and they aren't accessible to me. They are all in one area only ( again, segregation) and none of them have a superior view. They overlook the noisy walkway into the resort and any view is blocked by trees. In fact I had booked a water view room there, accessible, only to be told by a cm at the Beach Club to call back and request a garden view room since none of the accessible rooms HAS a water view which I had paid for in that room type! For myself I truly prefer staying at and enjoying the resorts since I cannot "ride the rides" at all and tire easily, so now I am denied the pleasure of several WDW resorts and concierge in many. ---Kathy

p.s....just wanted to add that we stayed for 6 nights in the Rapa Nui building at the Poly in January. The room was recently renovated so I don't know if the layout changed, but I could not turn my chair around in that room and I found it incredibly tiny. I had to go in forward and back out of the room...impossible to do independently. ---Kathy

Kathy, if you had trouble in Rapa Nui, you would not be happy in Hawaii.

When you say the rooms are incredibly tiny, I will admit to be puzzled. I think those are the largest rooms in WDW other than suites and DVC accomodations. I can't remember the exact square footage but it is over 450 ft.

Now if you just mean the entrance, I understand as it is a narrow corridor. However all the deluxe resorts have that narrow entrance since the bathroom is always on one side and the closets on the other. My daughter in a power chair can manage the door alone although it is not easy and the chair props the door as she goes through so not the best for the door either! The easiest entrances we have found are at the GF. The doors there have wall plates and the bathroom doors are pocket doors. We've had accessible rooms in both Sugar Loaf (concierge) and Conch Key with lovevly views. SL looks at the marina and the room we had in Conch Key faced the lagoon and the castle.

We were in Rapa Nui in January too and there is no change in the basic configuration of the room. It is all cosmetic changes with the exception of the closets which were reconfigured.

We were also in the newly refurbished Hawaii in October but without our daughter. I guess it depends on what you call fixtures. The tubs, sinks, toilets, floors and walls in the bathrooms are the same. A new bowed shower curtain was added as was a shelf under the sink. The decor of the rooms was changed including the furniture. The only structural change was the closet. The tile on the lanais was changed too.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup2

I was also puzzled by the size of the room. Before becoming disabled my family stayed in the old "Oahu" building and the room was huge! My feeling was the daybed took up alot of space and there wasn't much space between the beds and the wall for whatever reason. I found the same to be true at SSR accessible studio and as we are DVC members I plan to never stay there again! Speaking of the SSR studio it did have improved features over the other DVC resorts with a lowered sink and even an accessible microwave but instead of a queen bed, the bed was a double, I guess to make up for the larger bathroom space needed. ---Kathy

LOL, I meant I was puzzled by the fact that you found the room incredibly tiny. The rooms in Rapa Nui are as large as the rooms in the other new buildings which is to say largest on property (other than suites and DVC). I don't remember which building was Oahu....is it Tokelau now?

You're right that there isn't much room between the bathroom wall and the bed closest to it. But that is also true in all the buildings. There was room for our daughter's power Quickie though. And of course all the rooms have that daybed which my family is thankful for since we need it. :sunny:

For our daughter there is plenty of room to turn around. One trip we had her portable manual Quickie, her walker and a rental powerchair all in the space between the closet and armoire. That wouldn't work now with the addition of the desk and long lower dresser though.

I suspect the difference for you might just be in having a chair in there too. Have you found any rooms at WDW or elsewhere since you have needed a chair that you would recommend?

BTW, the accessible studios we've had at BCV also have a lower microwave. I didn't notice if the heighth of the sink was different though.

We are DVC members and I've not had a problem at any DVC resort in a studio. Except for OKW a person in a w/c could not use the kitchen area in the one and two bedroom units as you couldn't open the fridge door. I've also stayed at AKLodge concierge several times ( wonderful!), Coronado Springs, POFQ, and POR, Contemporary, Grand Floridian and even the All Stars and Pop Century rooms are spacious enough to maneuver a bit. I think the issue with the Poly was the new armoire- it was HUGE! I also have a ventilator on the back of my chair and a feeding pump which makes it really really long so I know my needs for space are quite different than for someone in a "regular" size chair. It's an adult narrow but the length gets in the way of maneuverability. Oh...and you're right- Oahu is now Tokelau. That building is all garden view and I loved seeing the lit torches at night. Rapa Nui was way too much of a hike from the main building since I don't like the TTC at all.----Kathy

Thanks for the reply, Kathy.

It is amazing how different the space need are. For my daughter the studios at BCV..at least the bathrooms...are not as good as the GF and the Polynesian.

I can understand the moderates and value resort entrances would be easier. Are the bathrooms as convenient?

dclfun said:
Except for OKW a person in a w/c could not use the kitchen area in the one and two bedroom units as you couldn't open the fridge door.
My DD did figure out how to get her wheelchair in just the right spot to get the fridge open, but she is a very determined girl in a very narrow adult manual wheelchair (her seat is only 14 inches wide). She's also used to a fairly similar set up on our kitchen.

BCV23 said:
Thanks for the reply, Kathy.

It is amazing how different the space need are. For my daughter the studios at BCV..at least the bathrooms...are not as good as the GF and the Polynesian.

I can understand the moderates and value resort entrances would be easier. Are the bathrooms as convenient?

I love the All Star resorts.
The bathroom with the roll in shower is very large. I would estimate it is more than twice lenght of the small standard bathroom and it has a huge sliding pocket door.

The king size bed is located quite a ways from the entry door giving me plenty of room to back my EVC in.

The deluxe rooms have the closet and bath by the entry door so there is that narrow hall way.

I cannot find the HA layouts but I will post the standard layouts of a Deluxe,a mod and an All Star room.

_Beach_Club-stnProom.gif

Beach club layout

portorleansriv.gif

POR layout

All_Star_Sports_Room_View.gif

All Star room layout.

I have also found the bus transportation to be very good.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

Have fun at Disney! :wizard:

I will just echo that the All Stars are great...large bathrooms and a sliding door into them. After staying there several times I do have a preference...having the bed on the left side as you enter. This way my chair can park in a larger space ( rather than having to back up between the wall and bed with the bed on the right as you enter) and it's close to the light switch and phone/clock. I have to transfer from right to left so this is a big deal to me, one that I'd not thought of until having to deal with it. ---Kathy

The apsolute biggest roll in is at Coranado. It is way bigger then POP, All Stars and BWV.

pugdog said:
The apsolute biggest roll in is at Coranado. It is way bigger then POP, All Stars and BWV.

Just curious,what bed size is in the Coronado with a roll in shower ?? :confused3

we had a room with 2 doubles or queens or what ever size they put in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter