Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

:scared1: I guess that'll keep you on your toes.
Not as bad as it sounds, but there are a number of spots along I-40 and the Smoky Mountain Highway where slides are common.

It pays to be vigilant.

Can't say as I'm familiar with their work. I was thinking of the "colorful metaphors" Spock described in Star Trek IV.

Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall I say, more colorful metaphors-- "Double dumb-*** on you" and so forth."

Kirk: "You mean the profanity?"

Spock: "Yes."

Kirk: "That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word. You'll find t in all the literature of the period."

Spock: "For example?"

Kirk: [thinks] "Oh, the complete works of Jacqueline Susann, the novels of Harold Robbins....

Spock: "Ah... The giants".

(That exchange always stuck in my mind. It wasn't funny until the last line there...
Spock; sarcastic; who knew)

I did notice an odor in the air...oh wait, that was me.
Yeah, wrong odor.
And ya' might want to crack a window, there.

I'm an excellent driver.
One minute to Wapner.

Not Bullwinkle, either.
But Rocky might be hanging around somewhere.

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.
There's Rocky!
The flying must be rather more exciting as well given the change in his visual faculties.

Sorry to hear Sarah has "goo" in her lungs, this year allergies have been especially bad.

Love the scenery, sorry the Best Western was, well not the best. :headache: Why would you want to steal a pillow.... ugh.

Yup we have some Moe's around here.

I just saw a Groupon for the Best Western in Eagle in my email yesterday....they were offering pillows for the special discount of $18. ;)

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Well, I can't imagine why a nurse would need to use her wrist at all. Seriously, rest up!

It feels much better today. So I cooked up 42 meals for my freezer to get us through the next term.

Colorado was so gorgeous. I can see why so many people fall in love with it.

I'm sure it is. I've only ever been to Teluride to ski (about a million years ago) and it was lovely there for sure.

I'll tell 'em where to put their pillow.

:lmao:Over their faces? Tightly?

A nerve? Does it show? Huh. Thought I was hiding my discomfort quite well.... :sad2:

And I did not choose to live here.
I and (a lot... a lot of) people I know curse their parents every winter for settling here.
I did not choose to live here... I'm just too lazy to move.

Oh, well that makes more sense. Moving sucks.

I'll ask my friend in Greece. I hear good things are happening there.

Good idea! That'll never happen here, though. We've always taken care of our debt problems by ignoring them and hoping they'll go away.

Thought so... It is a little out of the way.
Do I see an Alaskan cruise in your future?

I sure hope so! Because that would be awesome.

Whoops! Sorry about that.

It's ok.

No, I haven't... but I don't need to. I don't know anyone personally who's hit one, but I've seen the resulting carnage in the news once in a while.
It's like hitting a brick wall... that's on stilts... just high enough to send the wall through your windshield.
Not pretty.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what the results showed. I forget what exactly the "myth" was.

:laughing: No! For real? Did someone modify that?? :lmao:

No, not really. It was just as I showed--you add the "not a thumb" disclaimer. But hey, that way you can use it here!

IWz0YW0.gif

Let the Wookiee win.

I kept it DIS-appropriate!

And then I dragged it into the gutter.

Not as bad as it sounds, but there are a number of spots along I-40 and the Smoky Mountain Highway where slides are common.

It pays to be vigilant.

Always!

Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall I say, more colorful metaphors-- "Double dumb-*** on you" and so forth."

Kirk: "You mean the profanity?"

Spock: "Yes."

Kirk: "That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word. You'll find t in all the literature of the period."

Spock: "For example?"

Kirk: [thinks] "Oh, the complete works of Jacqueline Susann, the novels of Harold Robbins....

Spock: "Ah... The giants".

(That exchange always stuck in my mind. It wasn't funny until the last line there...
Spock; sarcastic; who knew)

This is the problem when I quote movies I haven't watched in decades. I can't recognize the proper responses.

Yeah, wrong odor.
And ya' might want to crack a window, there.

Happens all the time.

One minute to Wapner.

K-mart sucks.

But Rocky might be hanging around somewhere.

Where?

There's Rocky!
The flying must be rather more exciting as well given the change in his visual faculties.

Oh, there you are, Pe--uh, Rocky.

Sorry to hear Sarah has "goo" in her lungs, this year allergies have been especially bad.

They always seem to be bad for us.

Love the scenery, sorry the Best Western was, well not the best. :headache: Why would you want to steal a pillow.... ugh.

I mean...:confused3

Yup we have some Moe's around here.

Hey, look at that! I got something right!

It feels much better today. So I cooked up 42 meals for my freezer to get us through the next term.

Yeah, I saw the countdown on FB. Sounds like a lot of work! Hope it all pays off. Julie is doing something similar to cover another long-term sub period this fall.

I'm sure it is. I've only ever been to Teluride to ski (about a million years ago) and it was lovely there for sure.

Sounds like it's time to go back! You know, if you weren't planning any other trips.

:lmao:Over their faces? Tightly?

I will plead the 5th here.:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Oh, well that makes more sense. Moving sucks.

I know. I've done it way too many times.
You'd think, in those times, just once we would've moved south.

Good idea! That'll never happen here, though. We've always taken care of our debt problems by ignoring them and hoping they'll go away.

That should work.
I mean as long as you've got a plan and everything...

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what the results showed. I forget what exactly the "myth" was.

Probably "Is hitting a moose as bad as people say?"
And the answer is... Yes.

I know. I've done it way too many times.
You'd think, in those times, just once we would've moved south.

Well, there's always next time.

Just kidding. When we moved into our current house, my wife declared that they were going to carry her out before she moved again.

That should work.
I mean as long as you've got a plan and everything...

Man plans, God laughs.

Probably "Is hitting a moose as bad as people say?"
And the answer is... Yes.

::yes::

So I know this is two TRs back, but this morning we went to breakfast at MickeyD's and I couldn't help but think of you when I saw this sign in the drive through.

Amazing Fried Goodness and I didn't even have to fly to Hawaii for it! :thumbsup2 <------ Yes a thumb.

Chapter 7: If There's A Bright Center To The Universe, You're On The Planet That It's Farthest From.

I had originally wanted to spend the next 3 nights in Moab, Utah. Moab is a great base of operations for visiting Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, and would provide a nice place to stop, rest and break up the long drives.

Unfortunately, Moab knows that it’s a great base of operations, knows that most tourists will arrive in the summer months, and knows that there’s not much else in the area to provide competition. So its hotels are priced accordingly. It was very, very difficult to find any rooms that were both located in a clean, safe-looking hotel and also priced less than $150/night. Additionally, I had hoped to find a hotel in Moab with a nice-looking swimming pool, since I knew we would be doing a good deal of hiking in the desert in summer heat. That limited my options.

In the end, we found a good compromise. We splurged on a nice place in Moab, but only for 2 nights. We decided to spend one night in Grand Junction, Colorado, about two hours away from Moab and featuring much cheaper hotels. This seemed like a worthy solution addressing both our desires and budget.

But it meant we had one more day in Colorado, and we needed to find something to do to fill the time.

We made the decision to visit one of the lesser-known federally protected areas: Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Black Canyon is located in Nowhere, Colorado. Right in the middle of it, actually. The nearest town is Montrose, which isn’t really close to anything either.

Now for the really annoying part: in order to get there, we’d have to drive all the way to Grand Junction, Colorado—our home for the night, in case you’ve already forgotten everything I told you three paragraphs ago. Then we would have to turn southeast and drive 90 minutes southeast through Montrose to the park. After our visit, we’d have to completely retrace our steps to get back to Grand Junction.

It was irritating, but unavoidable. If you want to see the sights, you have to make the effort to get there.

We left early (good riddance, Best Western of Eagle) and drove west on I-70. I-70 is one of the best interstate drives in the country. Driving west through the Rockies from Denver is spectacular enough, but then west of Eagle you reach Glenwood Canyon. This is a canyon formed by the Colorado River in the western Rockies, and the highway was built to follow the river. We only have one crappy photo that doesn’t really do it justice. The engineers worked hard to try to preserve the scenery and natural character of the canyon, so they separated the eastbound and westbound lanes of the highway into two separate tiers, built into the side of the canyon. The westbound lanes are cantilevered over the eastbound lanes, reducing the overall footprint of the interstate and allowing for some great views of the river and canyon walls. After it was constructed, this stretch of highway won several awards that you’ve never heard of, because nobody pays attention to highway engineers unless they screw up. I might have mentioned that once or twice before.

IMG_9431.jpg

It took about 2 hours to reach Grand Junction, and after a pit stop we turned southeast and drove through the Nothing. Thankfully, we survived and emerged unscathed 90 minutes later at:

IMG_9433.jpg

The park is fairly small. It first was designated as a National Monument in 1933 and then received a promotion to National Park status in 1999, which is roughly about the last time I received a promotion as well. The distinguishing feature of this canyon is its extremely steep, narrow granite walls lining the Gunnison River below. Where the Grand Canyon is exposed sandstone, weathered and gradually eroded and exposed over a massive area by the gently-flowing Colorado River, Black Canyon’s channel erosion is much more narrow and violent, due to the hard-charging Gunnison River which drops an average of 34 feet/mile through the length of the canyon.

We reached our first overlook at the visitor center:

IMG_9434.jpg

If you recall from our visit to the Grand Canyon, I was struck there by the eerie silence over such a vast space. There is no such silence here. Even over 2,000 feet above the canyon floor, you’re constantly aware of the roaring river below.

At its narrowest point, the canyon is only about 40 feet wide at the bottom, which was roughly the width of the visitor center building.

IMG_9440.jpg

We did our usual National Park activities: pick up Junior Ranger workbooks for the kids, wander the exhibits, pretend to read the signs, and check out the overlooks. There’s a 10-mile road along the south rim that leads to several overlooks, so we followed along.

Here’s a good example of those steep, narrow granite walls:

IMG_9441.jpg

Our favorite overlook turned out to be Sunset View. It’s near the end of the road and affords a spectacular view to the west down the length of the canyon. I can only imagine how good it actually looks at sunset.

IMG_9444.jpg

Can you see our kids at the overlook?

IMG_9446.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

This turned out to be a very nice spot to eat a PB&J sandwich for lunch.

Once we finished the drive, we turned around and headed back to the visitor center. The kids had mostly finished their Junior Ranger workbooks, but they needed to attend a ranger program. Thankfully, there was one available at that time which sounded really awesome—our kids had the chance to look directly at the sun.

IMG_9458.jpg

They’re all now blind.

Ok, not really. There was a ranger who set up a solar telescope, fitted with a special lens that allowed viewers to see the sun. And when I say “see the sun”, I mean see what it looked like 8 minutes ago, because that’s how long it takes light to travel from the sun to the earth’s surface. We each took a turn looking through the lens. It had a red filter, but you could clearly see a solar flare and a couple of sunspots. Pretty neat stuff.

The kids got their junior ranger badges and we were on our way back to Grand Junction by early afternoon. One of our tricks for making long road trips palatable for the family is to stop along the way and grab milkshakes at a fast-food place. We found a McDonald’s in Montrose and got milkshakes there.

I got five for a family of six. Little Drew has shown signs of a possible milk allergy or lactose-intolerance.

That didn’t stop him from wanting a milkshake, though. In the end, like the Allies leading up to World War II, we tried the appeasement strategy.

Maybe not our best idea.

IMG_9460.jpg

We finally reached Grand Junction, and then promptly drove past it. The reason was that we wanted to see Colorado National Monument, bordering the west side of the city. We only had about 90 minutes or so before our dinner reservation, but we figured that would be enough time to do a quick drive-through and collect yet another National Park passport stamp.

Whenever I plan our trips, I always try to cover as much ground as we can in order to try and see as much as we can. But then when we get to a particular location, I tend to be a completist. I don’t want to miss out on seeing anything of interest. In the same way, I’m the guy who, when playing video games, has to find every single secret door, kill every bad guy, etc., before moving on to the next level. This is making you want to vacation with me, isn’t it?

So, in the spirit of such completism, here is our McTour of Colorado National Monument.

IMG_9462.jpg

The first stop was the visitor center. They had an exhibit about the first road built there, with a sample dynamite plunger. That’s where Scotty happened.

IMG_9468.jpg

Passport stamp obtained. Moving on!

The road climbs to the top of the mesa, and winds for about 20 miles, giving many views of red rock formations. The most famous is this one, called Independence Monument.

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

See? I told you it was worth the drive-through. Most of our “tour” involved pulling over at an overlook, snapping a photo and moving on. Here are a couple of samples:

IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

With that, it was time for dinner, so we bid adieu (ok, not really, we just left) and drove back into Grand Junction. For the third time today.

Dinner was at the Ale House, which is owned and operated by the Breckenridge Brewing Company. It had been a long 4-day stretch without a burger for me, so it was finally time to end that streak. I’d chosen this place for 3 reasons: 1) it had good reviews, 2) beer, and 3) it had a 50/50 burger on the menu.

IMG_9487.jpg

A 50/50 burger, if you’re not familiar with this particular slice of heaven, is a burger made out of a patty that consists of 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. Yes, ground bacon. Yes, it’s absolutely wonderful for your heart. I’d first tried one at Slater’s 50/50 in the wonderfully-named town of Rancho Cucamonga, California, and liked it enough that I wanted more. This particular version also featured cheese, a fried egg (and I know most of you just hurled in your mouth at that) and an “apricot glaze”.

IMG_9484.jpg

It was terrific! Because of the bacon content, the 50/50 burger tends to be a little saltier than your average hamburger, so the fried egg and apricot glaze served to balance that out. I also had a pint of the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter that was on top, and it was just a fantastic beer. Very smooth and creamy.

It appears the boys enjoyed their pizza as well.

IMG_9485.jpg

All in all, we thought the food here was excellent, and are happy to award the Ale House a Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Award.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Lodging that night was provided by the Econo Lodge of Grand Junction. This was another Priceline special—we got the room for about $60! And they had free breakfast! Given our experience the previous night, though, we wondered what kind of experience we’d have.

It turned out our fears were unfounded. The place was clean, pleasant, and the guy at the front desk even put out fresh chocolate chip-cookies for us when we arrived. Note to hotel desk clerks: I can be bought with chocolate-chip cookies. So the Econo Lodge gets a thumbs-up!

Coming Up Next: We finally reach Moab, Utah. Get ready for a whole mess of red rock photos.

I was wondering what that giant explosion was that day....Scotty blew up Western Colorado! ;) There is some beautiful country on the Western Slope but I never get over there...I need to venture out some of these days. That burger looks delicious!

Jill in CO

It's always a drag when you have to back track, but sometimes when out in the boonies it can't be helped. Those pictures all look stunning, but I know from experience that no matter how beautiful the pictures are, the reality is so much more beautiful.

I would enjoy traveling with a person like you. I always want to see everything, read every sign, and take in everything there is. My parents hate going to museums with Fran and I because we like to look at everything. Same thing in National parks, we want to stop at every stop, look at all the views and everything.

I'm envious of these 50/50 burgers. Even though I live close to several locations that serve them, I still have not had the treat of trying one yet! I think almost anyone can be bought with fresh chocolate chip cookies!

One field near the road was still completely snow-covered, and many families had pulled over to the side of the road to let their kids run around in the snow in mid-June. It definitely made for a unique experience.
I remember the first time I became aware of this phenomenon, I saw a picture of people hiking in shorts, stepping over the hard packed snow that had melted such that it appeared they were stepping over waves. Really cool............no pun intended.

When I was a kid, my parents did the same type of traveling with me that I’m doing with my family now.
Funny how we tend to want to share then same fun and memorable family moments with our children

However, we reached Route 9 and were greeted with a torn-up road, construction signs, and a warning saying, “CAUTION: DIRT ROAD NEXT 25 MILES.”
Stupid highway engineers. Always making life difficult.
They just wanted to make you fell welcome! :rolleyes1

I disputed the charge, of course, and tried to speak to a manager, but never could get a hold of one. I left contact info, and no one ever had the decency to call me back. Then we got home and had to deal with my father-in-law’s passing immediately, so I forgot about this issue. It never got resolved. So, I’m just resolving it by letting you all know there are other options for lodging in the area that I would recommend first.

And that’s all I have to say about that.
$18? For a Best Western pillow? :eek: :faint:

Unfortunately, Moab knows that it’s a great base of operations, knows that most tourists will arrive in the summer months, and knows that there’s not much else in the area to provide competition. So its hotels are priced accordingly. It was very, very difficult to find any rooms that were both located in a clean, safe-looking hotel and also priced less than $150/night.
Okay, I don't EVEN want to know how much they charge for pillows here.............. :sad2:

Our favorite overlook turned out to be Sunset View. It’s near the end of the road and affords a spectacular view to the west down the length of the canyon. I can only imagine how good it actually looks at sunset.
You would think with that name, it would be a given regardless of the time of day..........

Well, not until you zoomed in! :rolleyes:

Is there really a BAD place??? :confused:

We each took a turn looking through the lens. It had a red filter, but you could clearly see a solar flare and a couple of sunspots. Pretty neat stuff.
It was probably only a little puff when it left the sun

It had been a long 4-day stretch without a burger for me, so it was finally time to end that streak.
The HORRORS!!! :scared1:

liked it enough that I wanted more. This particular version also featured cheese, a fried egg (and I know most of you just hurled in your mouth at that) and an “apricot glaze”.
Well, not until you mentioned the apricot glaze..........

I also had a pint of the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter that was on top, and it was just a fantastic beer.
I'm guess they had it on tap too.................. :scratchin (sorry, I missed the elk instead of moose pile on) :)

I can honestly say, at least from your photos, that Colorado at least rivals Northern Arizona/S. Utah if not surpasses it in grandeur and "big". Those are some pretty big canyons! I miss sandstone, having mostly basalt up here on the Left Coast.

Glad the food measured up to a Homer Award; still want to try a 50/50, and wondering if my hood has one nearby. Hate beer, so will reserve commenting on it's creaminess, except to say, I'm glad you enjoyed it. But I'm all for a good night's sleep. And see, this place didn't need to steal their own pillows to pay for choco chip cookies. yay And since your kids are sightless now, you can eat them all and they'd never know it! cool.

Unfortunately, Moab knows that it’s a great base of operations, knows that most tourists will arrive in the summer months, and knows that there’s not much else in the area to provide competition. So its hotels are priced accordingly. It was very, very difficult to find any rooms that were both located in a clean, safe-looking hotel and also priced less than $150/night.

Sounds like trying to find a hotel near Disneyland :rolleyes:

The westbound lanes are cantilevered over the eastbound lanes, reducing the overall footprint of the interstate and allowing for some great views of the river and canyon walls. After it was constructed, this stretch of highway won several awards that you’ve never heard of, because nobody pays attention to highway engineers unless they screw up. I might have mentioned that once or twice before.

This sounds so cool! But, again, I'm marrying an engineer, so.....
On the other hand, we're also annoyed with the city engineers, because they decided to completely repave a perfectly good road, while ignoring all the roads that actually need the work. And that meant they also effectively prevented anyone from coming or going from our office. Which, for the travel side, wasn't a big deal. Car care, however, had some very unhappy customers.

I'm shocked! :lmao:

There was a ranger who set up a solar telescope, fitted with a special lens that allowed viewers to see the sun. And when I say “see the sun”, I mean see what it looked like 8 minutes ago, because that’s how long it takes light to travel from the sun to the earth’s surface. We each took a turn looking through the lens. It had a red filter, but you could clearly see a solar flare and a couple of sunspots. Pretty neat stuff.

I'm actually kinda jealous of this. It sounds really neat.

The first stop was the visitor center. They had an exhibit about the first road built there, with a sample dynamite plunger. That’s where Scotty happened.

IMG_9468.jpg

Ha. So, the queue for Thunder Mtn in WDW has these. And at night, if you depress the plunger, you're treated to explosions in different areas depending on the box. A CM finally yelled "KEEP MOVING! DO NOT STOP TO PLAY, KEEP THE LINE MOVING!"......to all the adults who had stopped to play. There weren't any kids around.

Note to hotel desk clerks: I can be bought with chocolate-chip cookies.

Who can't?

Moab is a great base of operations for visiting Canyonlands and Arches National Parks

I'd love to see Arches some day.
Bucket list needs paring down.

So its hotels are priced accordingly. It was very, very difficult to find any rooms that were both located in a clean, safe-looking hotel and also priced less than $150/night.

"What the market will bear."
How about, "We don't need to be stupid greedy. A reasonable profit will do."

In the end, we found a good compromise. We splurged on a nice place in Moab, but only for 2 nights. We decided to spend one night in Grand Junction, Colorado, about two hours away from Moab and featuring much cheaper hotels. This seemed like a worthy solution addressing both our desires and budget.

::yes::

But it meant we had one more day in Colorado, and we needed to find something to do to fill the time.

Oh, no! You poor guys! Having to spend another day in what is proving to be one heck of a beautiful state.

After our visit, we’d have to completely retrace our steps to get back to Grand Junction.

Necessary evil.

It was irritating, but unavoidable. If you want to see the sights, you have to make the effort to get there.

Yup. And that's where I fail.
I'm almost always driving with the end in sight.
Gotta learn to stop and smell the roses in the National parks.

We left early (good riddance, Best Western of Eagle)

"Where we discovered that one of the kids had placed a hotel pillow in the van."

I-70 is one of the best interstate drives in the country.

Don't mind me... Just taking notes.

The westbound lanes are cantilevered over the eastbound lanes, reducing the overall footprint of the interstate

Huh. That's interesting.
I went and Googled some images. Pretty smart and pretty amazing.

nobody pays attention to highway engineers unless they screw up. I might have mentioned that once or twice before.

No. I think this is your first time.

:rolleyes2

There is no such silence here. Even over 2,000 feet above the canyon floor, you’re constantly aware of the roaring river below.

For lack of a better word, I'll just say "Neat!"

'cause it is.

That really puts it into perspective!

It must be spectacular with all that vista changing colours.

Nope. Zoom in.... ah, got 'em.

our kids had the chance to look directly at the sun.

The very first thing that popped into my mind was:

They’re all now blind.

That. :laughing:

you could clearly see a solar flare and a couple of sunspots. Pretty neat stuff.

Cool! I've never done that.
But I'll never forget the first time I looked at Jupiter and some of its moons, or Saturn's rings.

In the end, like the Allies leading up to World War II, we tried the appeasement strategy.

I wonder how that worked out for them?

ahem.

Maybe not our best idea.

Uh, oh.... I forsee bad things happening in the not so distant future.

That’s where Scotty happened.

:laughing: He does that a lot, doesn't he?

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

With that, it was time for dinner, so we bid adieu (ok, not really, we just left)

:lmao: That just cracked me up.

I’d chosen this place for 3 reasons: 1) it had good reviews, 2) beer, and 3) it had a 50/50 burger on the menu.

Not a beer drinker, myself. But you had me at 1 and 3.

This particular version also featured cheese, a fried egg (and I know most of you just hurled in your mouth at that) and an “apricot glaze”.

Nah. I like cheese.

Actually, I like a fried egg on a burger. First time I had it, I wondered why everyone doesn't do it.

It appears the boys enjoyed their pizza as well.

IMG_9485.jpg

I see three options here.
1. mugging for the camera, or;
2. really enjoying that pizza, no matter how hard to eat, or;
3. just burned the roof of his mouth.

Or any combination of the above.

This was another Priceline special—we got the room for about $60!

Score.

The place was clean, pleasant, and the guy at the front desk even put out fresh chocolate chip-cookies for us when we arrived. Note to hotel desk clerks: I can be bought with chocolate-chip cookies. So the Econo Lodge gets a thumbs-up!

Sounds like a winner! And chocolate-chip cookies??? Sold!

We finally reach Moab, Utah. Get ready for a whole mess of red rock photos.

Looking forward to more stunning photos! Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter