Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Chapter 8: The Way Back to Town is Only Seventy Miles. So if You Save Your Breath, I Feel a Man Like You Can Manage it.

I love Utah.

IMG_9491.jpg

We were on our way to Moab. There are two ways to get there from Grand Junction, Colorado. The first is to follow the main highways, I-70 west to U.S. 191 south. That’s the boring way. Or you can exit the interstate early and follow Rt. 128 into town. That’s the route we took.

When you go this way, it first feels like a mistake. You drive along a road that is barely wide enough for a minivan and looks like it was last paved when they closed the Oregon Trail. Then you pass through the town of Cisco, which appears to have been last inhabited during the heyday of the Oregon Trail. Well, that’s not quite true. There are a lot of abandoned cars near the abandoned buildings, so it must have lasted a little while longer.

Anyway, give it time. Eventually the road meets up with the Colorado River, and you get to follow the river into Moab as it carves its way through red rock canyons. It’s a spectacular drive and much, much, much more scenic than the main road. Welcome to Utah.

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9497.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_9502.jpg

When we arrived in Moab, we stopped for fuel and natural bodily functions and then turned north. Just a few miles north of town, you make a left and then you’re on the road to Canyonlands National Park. It’s approximately 30 miles to the park border from town.

IMG_9504.jpg

Canyonlands is a large park, divided into three separate sections: The Maze, The Needles, and Island in the Sky. Due to driving distances, you’d need at least a couple of days to explore the various sections. Many areas are only reachable via hiking or off-road vehicles. We decided to concentrate on the Island in the Sky section of the park.

Normally we would have made the visitor center our first stop. However, this was the desert. In the summer. The high temperatures were approaching 100 degrees. And we had wanted to do a little hiking. Best to get that done as early as possible. So we drove all the way in, 10 miles down to the end of the road at Grand View Point. We got there around 10:00 a.m., so it was “only” 90 degrees outside. But hey, it was a dry heat.

The hike to Grand View Point is about a mile each way, but it’s fairly flat. It’s a fun hike because you can walk right up to the canyon edge if you like (Julie didn’t like that) and climb on some rocks at the end to get a view of a gorgeous vista. This would be my second attempt at hiking with the baby strapped to my back, but the first in desert heat. Needless to say, we took plenty of water with us.

I had attempted to “train” for these hikes by putting Baby Drew into the backpack and walking around the neighborhood with him. In Delaware, the average elevation change over a couple of miles is roughly 2 inches. So training in this manner was similar to training for an Iron Man triathlon by driving myself to the grocery store.

IMG_9515.jpg

The views? Yeah, they were ok, I guess.

IMG_9519.jpg

The hike really wasn’t bad at all, even with Baby Drew gnawing on my tee shirt. At the end of the trail we were treated to views such as these:

IMG_9531.jpg

I got to take the backpack off for some blessed relief for my aching shoulders. Julie sat with the baby in some shade while the older kids and I went rock climbing.

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg

Somewhere down there is the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers.

IMG_9532.jpg

As you can imagine, we just kept taking photos. It just so happened that this was Father’s Day, and I was spending it with my family taking in these sights. You could do much, much worse.

IMG_9533.jpg

At the time, Baby Drew had only one word: “Hot!” We heard it quite a bit on the trip, such as whenever we would get into the minivan after it had been sitting out all day. In the words of Baby Drew, this hike was “HOT!” This is why his sippy cup appears in all of our photos.

IMG_9536.jpg

Let’s take another look at those lovely family photos. The composed shot:

IMG_9540.jpg

Behind the scenes:

IMG_9541.jpg

Yikes. Remind me not to get on Sarah’s bad side. That’s some professional stink-eye, even through the sunglasses.

IMG_9544.jpg

We eventually headed back the way we came. Trails are marked by small cairns, or rock piles. The kids left a few of their own.

IMG_9547.jpg

Family photo time. Baby Drew almost made it into this one!

IMG_9550.jpg

This is a formation known as the dinosaur footprint. I’d say it’s more like a Godzilla footprint.

IMG_9551.jpg

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for—you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches. And lots and lots of water. Still, we all agreed that finishing the hike by noon was well worth it. Some people were just starting out on the trail and by that time you could really feel the sun beating down. We felt a great deal of compassion for them as we loaded into the van and cranked up the air conditioning. I think we shouted, “Suckers!” only a few dozen times as we watched others begin the march.

Coming Up Next: Tired of canyon photos yet?

Ok, I totally failed with commenting on your previous updates, but I just saw this and thought this is my chance to just jump in and be up to date again!!

Anyway, give it time. Eventually the road meets up with the Colorado River, and you get to follow the river into Moab as it carves its way through red rock canyons. It’s a spectacular drive and much, much, much more scenic than the main road. Welcome to Utah.

Wow!! What an amazing drive! We had some amazing drives in California (and I totally failed taking decent pictures during those drives), but this is a different league!

I had attempted to “train” for these hikes by putting Baby Drew into the backpack and walking around the neighborhood with him. In Delaware, the average elevation change over a couple of miles is roughly 2 inches. So training in this manner was similar to training for an Iron Man triathlon by driving myself to the grocery store.

From friends' experiences, I think the training hikes were at least useful with regard to training Drew in being a passenger! Sometimes babies appear to need that kind of training...

Oh! And you are envious about me visiting Yosemite??? :faint:

I love this!! And please tell me that all those wonderful pictures were taken with a proper camera with some sort of lens filter and not a point and shoot! I was struggling with my otherwise lovely camera when taking landscape shots as it was so difficult to get good colors in the sunshine... (well and the smoke...)

At the time, Baby Drew had only one word: “Hot!” We heard it quite a bit on the trip, such as whenever we would get into the minivan after it had been sitting out all day. In the words of Baby Drew, this hike was “HOT!”

:rotfl2: Take a baby on a dessert vacation and what's the word he learns: HOT!

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for—you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches. And lots and lots of water. Still, we all agreed that finishing the hike by noon was well worth it. Some people were just starting out on the trail and by that time you could really feel the sun beating down.

I had a similar experience in Yosemite and could not understand what people were thinking trying to start to hike up a mountain at 11am on a day that had a forecast of a high of 98!

I love Utah.

Never been. Wanna go, now.
Well, I wanted to before... but more so now.

I think I prefer it over in Germany.
You'd be surprised how quickly the miles go by when you're driving over 140MPH.

You drive along a road that is barely wide enough for a minivan and looks like it was last paved when they closed the Oregon Trail.

Actually, that makes it more appealing.

Then you pass through the town of Cisco, which appears to have been last inhabited during the heyday of the Oregon Trail. Well, that’s not quite true. There are a lot of abandoned cars near the abandoned buildings, so it must have lasted a little while longer.

I took a look at a website about Cisco.
Interesting little place.

Wow. Just. Wow.
I could pretty much comment on each and every photo you took, but then it would get monotonous for you.
But I did look at each photo with a mixture of awe and wonder.

However, this was the desert. In the summer. The high temperatures were approaching 100 degrees.

Ugh. HOT!!!

And we had wanted to do a little hiking.

I didn't even know you could buy portable air conditioners.

Huh.

Best to get that done as early as possible.

Or not at all.

We got there around 10:00 a.m., so it was “only” 90 degrees outside.

"Only".... :sad2:

But hey, it was a dry heat.

That really does make all the difference though, doesn't it?
I'd rather have 100 degree dry heat than 90 degrees and high humidity.

:lmao:

You guess?????

It just so happened that this was Father’s Day, and I was spending it with my family taking in these sights. You could do much, much worse.

You definitely could.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

At the time, Baby Drew had only one word: “Hot!”

:laughing: Learned it on that trip, I presume?

Yikes. Remind me not to get on Sarah’s bad side. That’s some professional stink-eye, even through the sunglasses.

Whoa! :eek: "I will kill you and it will be slow. You've been warned."

Trails are marked by small cairns, or rock piles. The kids left a few of their own.

Reminds me of the Inukshuk you'd see in the north.

This is a formation known as the dinosaur footprint. I’d say it’s more like a Godzilla footprint.

::yes:: Agreed!

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for

PB&J sandwiches?

you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches

Yes! What'd I win?

Some people were just starting out on the trail and by that time you could really feel the sun beating down. We felt a great deal of compassion for them as we loaded into the van and cranked up the air conditioning. I think we shouted, “Suckers!” only a few dozen times as we watched others begin the march.

:laughing:

Tired of canyon photos yet?

Nope! It's so far removed from anything I've ever seen that I'm eating it up.
More!

At the time, Baby Drew had only one word: “Hot!” We heard it quite a bit on the trip, such as whenever we would get into the minivan after it had been sitting out all day. In the words of Baby Drew, this hike was “HOT!” This is why his sippy cup appears in all of our photos.

Smart kid. Takes after his mother then?:rotfl2:

Nice pictures almost enough to make me want to visit that area.

The first is to follow the main highways, I-70 west to U.S. 191 south. That’s the boring way. Or you can exit the interstate early and follow Rt. 128 into town. That’s the route we took.

Good choice! :thumbsup2

Due to driving distances, you’d need at least a couple of days to explore the various sections. Many areas are only reachable via hiking or off-road vehicles. We decided to concentrate on the Island in the Sky section of the park.

Ah yes, I remember it well. We drove that White Rim Trail, it took us three days in a 4WD and we camped two nights, but I don't remember them having designated camping areas some twentyei, er back then!

It just so happened that this was Father’s Day, and I was spending it with my family taking in these sights. You could do much, much worse.

You could do much worse.

Again, you could do much worse!

That's crazy, but really cool!

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for—you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches. And lots and lots of water. Still, we all agreed that finishing the hike by noon was well worth it.

Definitely!

Some people were just starting out on the trail and by that time you could really feel the sun beating down. We felt a great deal of compassion for them as we loaded into the van and cranked up the air conditioning. I think we shouted, “Suckers!” only a few dozen times as we watched others begin the march.

:rotfl2:

Tired of canyon photos yet?

Nope!

It’s a spectacular drive and much, much, much more scenic than the main road. Welcome to Utah.

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9497.jpg
Looks like thinking this through worked out perfectly........spectacular views! :thumbsup2

Normally we would have made the visitor center our first stop. However, this was the desert. In the summer. The high temperatures were approaching 100 degrees. And we had wanted to do a little hiking. Best to get that done as early as possible. So we drove all the way in, 10 miles down to the end of the road at Grand View Point. We got there around 10:00 a.m., so it was “only” 90 degrees outside. But hey, it was a dry heat.
Sounds like another great decision and choice..........even WITH the dry heat. :rotfl:

:rotfl2:

Somewhere down there is the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers.

IMG_9532.jpg
Hey, where's Rafiki holding up Simba??? :confused3

As you can imagine, we just kept taking photos. It just so happened that this was Father’s Day, and I was spending it with my family taking in these sights. You could do much, much worse.
So true............:goodvibes

Oh boy, one day some "lucky" guys going to be hip deep in it.............. :eek:

We eventually headed back the way we came. Trails are marked by small cairns, or rock piles. The kids left a few of their own.

IMG_9547.jpg
Uh oh, that's the universal symbol for "You're going the wrong way..........make a U-turn!" :crutches:

I love the pics of Drew's sippy cup...too bad Drew didn't make the pics. :) Beautiful country....I bet it was hot!

Jill in CO

Gorgeous views on your Oregon Trail drive! :thumbsup2

Smart to get your hiking done early. Looks like quite an amazing hiking venue! Nice family pics too!

Chapter 8: The Way Back to Town is Only Seventy Miles. So if You Save Your Breath, I Feel a Man Like You Can Manage it.
I'll keep the money and you can have the rope.

I love Utah.

IMG_9491.jpg
Pbbbft… We all know that those things are just the “suggested retail speed”…
So just how quick were you really traveling through there?

We were on our way to Moab. There are two ways to get there from Grand Junction, Colorado. The first is to follow the main highways, I-70 west to U.S. 191 south. That’s the boring way.
If one has both time and fuel, you never take the boring way.
The only problem is that having both of those things can be problematic…
Good that y’all didn’t have that problem.

When you go this way, it first feels like a mistake.
Don’t most good things feel like a mistake at first?

But then again, mistakes feel like mistakes as well…
so that does make it harder to judge until after the fact.

Then you pass through the town of Cisco, which appears to have been last inhabited during the heyday of the Oregon Trail. Well, that’s not quite true. There are a lot of abandoned cars near the abandoned buildings, so it must have lasted a little while longer.
The story behind that town is quite sad indeed.

Yep… that does appear to be quite the drive.
One of these days I need to get out there.
One of ‘em.

Normally we would have made the visitor center our first stop. However, this was the desert.
And It ain’t y’all’s first rodeo.
Ya’ know better.

We got there around 10:00 a.m., so it was “only” 90 degrees outside. But hey, it was a dry heat.
“Dry Heat” means that 90 actually means 90.
Still taxing, but I could deal with it.

The hike to Grand View Point is about a mile each way, but it’s fairly flat. It’s a fun hike because you can walk right up to the canyon edge if you like (Julie didn’t like that)…
I suspect that there are a lot of folks that wouldn’t much like that.

So training in this manner was similar to training for an Iron Man triathlon by driving myself to the grocery store.
:rotfl:
I’m nominating that line for quote of the TR.
We’ll have to vote on them when you wrap this one up.

Ya’ think?

The hike really wasn’t bad at all, even with Baby Drew gnawing on my tee shirt.
He was just trying to help keep you cool.
Damp cloth on the back of the neck is an accepted method for staving off one’s perception of the heat.

At the end of the trail we were treated to views such as these:
Mmm, mmm, mmm…

I got to take the backpack off for some blessed relief for my aching shoulders.
And allow your shirt to dry out a bit.

That’s a good one…

…but that’s a better one.
My God that is absolutely stunning.

I’m inclined to say that pretty much every one of us did much worse.

At the time, Baby Drew had only one word: “Hot!”
Now how on earth did he pick that one up?

“Go on…Tell me to smile one more time…
You do and you’ll be spending eternity as Jimmy Hofa’s roommate.”

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for—you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches.
The Heavenly Cheeto’s were all gone by now, weren’t they?

And lots and lots of water.
And the cooler, the better.

We felt a great deal of compassion for them as we loaded into the van and cranked up the air conditioning.
Nope… ain’t buyin’ it.

I think we shouted, “Suckers!” only a few dozen times as we watched others begin the march.
That’s far more like it.

Coming Up Next: Tired of canyon photos yet?

That would be….
A rather large: NOPE.

Ok, I totally failed with commenting on your previous updates, but I just saw this and thought this is my chance to just jump in and be up to date again!!

I'm glad you are still reading and keeping up!

Wow!! What an amazing drive! We had some amazing drives in California (and I totally failed taking decent pictures during those drives), but this is a different league!

It really was jaw-dropping. I'm so glad we went that way and left the main highway behind.

From friends' experiences, I think the training hikes were at least useful with regard to training Drew in being a passenger! Sometimes babies appear to need that kind of training...

I think it was actually very helpful that way! Drew really enjoyed being in the backpack. He seemed to get a kick out of the times I would purposely walk him into bushes, trees, etc.:rotfl2:

Oh! And you are envious about me visiting Yosemite??? :faint:

Well...yes!

I love this!! And please tell me that all those wonderful pictures were taken with a proper camera with some sort of lens filter and not a point and shoot! I was struggling with my otherwise lovely camera when taking landscape shots as it was so difficult to get good colors in the sunshine... (well and the smoke...)

Most of the photo credit goes to Julie. She has a DSLR camera and took a photography class on how to use it properly.

:rotfl2: Take a baby on a dessert vacation and what's the word he learns: HOT!

::yes:: He also learns it when he keeps trying to open the oven. :scared1:

I had a similar experience in Yosemite and could not understand what people were thinking trying to start to hike up a mountain at 11am on a day that had a forecast of a high of 98!

I can''t imagine trying that. Some people just don't want to get up early, I guess.:confused3

When you go this way, it first feels like a mistake. You drive along a road that is barely wide enough for a minivan and looks like it was last paved when they closed the Oregon Trail.
It isn't a Captain_Oblivious TR without a drive on a road that is hardly a road.

It’s a spectacular drive and much, much, much more scenic than the main road. Welcome to Utah
::yes:: Beautiful drive.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

The hike really wasn’t bad at all, even with Baby Drew gnawing on my tee shirt.
And the slobber cools as it dries...

Julie sat with the baby in some shade while the older kids and I went rock climbing.
Shade? There was shade???

Definitely not a bad place to be with the family on Father's Day.

:rotfl2: What did you say to her to earn that look????

Family photo time. Baby Drew almost made it into this one!
Well, his cup clearly did.

We made it back to the van by lunchtime, where it was time for—you guessed it!—PB&J sandwiches. And lots and lots of water
Oh... Now I know why Sarah was giving you that look. She was hangry and PB&J just isn't cutting it anymore.

Still, we all agreed that finishing the hike by noon was well worth it.
::yes:: Definitely!

Never been. Wanna go, now.
Well, I wanted to before... but more so now.

Utah is just breathtaking. Bryce Canyon, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches...well worth any amount of time spent there.

I think I prefer it over in Germany.
You'd be surprised how quickly the miles go by when you're driving over 140MPH.

Now that would be so much fun! I hope I get to see Germany someday. Hopefully @Flossbolna will be my tour guide!

Actually, that makes it more appealing.

Feeling a little adventurous, are we?

I took a look at a website about Cisco.
Interesting little place.

It is. I had no idea it had been featured in a few movies.

Wow. Just. Wow.
I could pretty much comment on each and every photo you took, but then it would get monotonous for you.
But I did look at each photo with a mixture of awe and wonder.

That's pretty much what we were doing all along that drive.

Ugh. HOT!!!

Drew? Is that you?

I didn't even know you could buy portable air conditioners.

Huh.

Sure, NOW you tell me.

Or not at all.

Whew. I would have felt pretty stupid if you could buy a portable air conditioner and we hadn't done so.

"Only".... :sad2:

Yeah.

That really does make all the difference though, doesn't it?
I'd rather have 100 degree dry heat than 90 degrees and high humidity.

Actually, it does. I mean, at a certain point, it's just hot. The inside of an oven is "dry" heat, too. But like you said, 90 degrees and humid is much, much worse. I'm used to the humid summers, so I really don't think it feels as bad out west.

You guess?????

Maybe a slight understatement?

You definitely could.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

It's one of the better Father's Days I've celebrated, for sure!

:laughing: Learned it on that trip, I presume?

He learned it by continually getting too close to the oven, but it sure came in handy!

Whoa! :eek: "I will kill you and it will be slow. You've been warned."

:scared1: I would not mess with that kid, for sure.

Reminds me of the Inukshuk you'd see in the north.

Great, now I'm off to Google...

...and I'm back. Yep, very similar! Only smaller and requiring much less effort.:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2

PB&J sandwiches?

Whoa. You're good!

Yes! What'd I win?

An Official Captain_Oblivious No-Prize.

Nope! It's so far removed from anything I've ever seen that I'm eating it up.
More!

Ok, you asked for it!

Smart kid. Takes after his mother then?:rotfl2:

How did you guess? Don't answer that.

Nice pictures almost enough to make me want to visit that area.

Almost? You should have booked your flight by now!

Good choice! :thumbsup2

You wouldn't be saying that if we'd gotten lost!:rotfl2:

Ah yes, I remember it well. We drove that White Rim Trail, it took us three days in a 4WD and we camped two nights, but I don't remember them having designated camping areas some twentyei, er back then!

I'm sure the backcountry there is amazing. There's so much you can't see from the road.

You could do much worse.

::yes::

Again, you could do much worse!

That's crazy, but really cool!

We thought so!

Good, because you're going to get a lot more.

Looks like thinking this through worked out perfectly........spectacular views! :thumbsup2

Just thinking anything through is a major achievement for us!

Sounds like another great decision and choice..........even WITH the dry heat. :rotfl:

Well, it wasn't our first rodeo.

Hey, where's Rafiki holding up Simba??? :confused3

The baby wasn't up there with us. Patience...

Oh boy, one day some "lucky" guys going to be hip deep in it.............. :eek:

As her father, I'm good with that.:thumbsup2

Uh oh, that's the universal symbol for "You're going the wrong way..........make a U-turn!" :crutches:

NOW you tell us!

I love the pics of Drew's sippy cup...too bad Drew didn't make the pics. :) Beautiful country....I bet it was hot!

I guess we'll have to go back so Drew can see it.:rolleyes:

Gorgeous views on your Oregon Trail drive! :thumbsup2

Smart to get your hiking done early. Looks like quite an amazing hiking venue! Nice family pics too!

It was a really neat trail! So cool to be out on the cliffs!

The drive and pictures of everything are absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous. Julie did a great job capturing the area and even so I am sure it is more beautiful in person.

So glad you all survived the hike and the cliffs. :scared1:

By the looks of lack of updates, you must be as busy as me. Hope all is well in your corner of the woods. :)

Hi Mark! I'm just finding your TR now. So far I've made it up the mountain with you.

I had to LOL when you said, "A SHOE" Traveling with kids is always an adventure in itself.
I'm impressed you made it touring at that altitude, flip flops and all. Looks like the view was worth it.
I can't do altitude. I found myself getting very ill just driving at 8000 ft while trying to get to the top of Mt Shasta in Cali. It is only 10000 ft.
Looking forward to more, now that I found you.

I just got all caught up, after a crazy summer of travel. Fantastic report, as always. Gorgeous photos! Two of my favorite place are Colorado Springs and Rocky Mt. National Park.

So sorry to read about the altitude sickness and the fee for the pillow. At least there were tons of high-points, like the 50/50. Mmmm.

Can't wait to read more!

Sorry for the lack of updates/responses/check-ins on your TR's lately. I have been swamped! Hopefully my DIS time will free up soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter