Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Chapter 6: I'm On A Pilgrimage To See A Moose.

One of the neatest parts of being in the Alpine region of Colorado in June was the fact that there was still abundant snow to be found. Most of the trails were clear, but there was some snow nearby in a couple of places. I may or may not have thrown a snowball or two at certain youthful members of our party. I also may or may not have received a couple of hits in retaliation.

One field near the road was still completely snow-covered, and many families had pulled over to the side of the road to let their kids run around in the snow in mid-June. It definitely made for a unique experience.

IMG_9385.jpg

There were other special hazards to watch out for along Trail Ridge Road as well.

IMG_9386.jpg

After lunch, we experienced our first bout with a hemorrhaging wallet in the gift shop at the Alpine Visitor Center. Then we piled back into the van and headed down Trail Ridge Road, descending towards the west park entrance. Along the way, we stopped at Milner Pass, which sits along the Continental Divide. The Divide is the ridge that runs all the way through the continent of North America. Any rain falling to the east of this ridge will drain to the Mississippi River and eventually to the Atlantic Ocean, whereas rain falling to the west runs to the Pacific, generally by way of the Colorado River.

IMG_9388.jpg

Not far past this point, we had to hit the brakes and stop right in the road to avoid hitting a car in front of us that wasn't moving. I was about to start describing the other driver using some colorful metaphors, but then I remembered the rule about visiting National Parks: cars stopped in unusual places means wildlife is visible. So we stopped and began scanning the area.

We saw nothing. Maybe a bird or two.

Eventually, the driver in front of us moved on. We couldn’t for the life of us figure out what he had seen. So I put the car in gear and began to drive down the hill. As we gained speed, a small clearing appeared on the left side of the van. Just over the edge of the shoulder was a drop-off, and as we passed, something caught the corner of my eye.

“Bighorn sheep!” I shouted to the rest of the family. “Did you see them?”

Nope. They missed it. Naturally, we were on a downhill slope and there was no good place to turn around.

When I was a kid, my parents did the same type of traveling with me that I’m doing with my family now. I’ve been to 49 of the 50 states in my 40+ years of life. And in all that time, through all of the national parks, I’d never seen bighorn sheep in the wild. I wanted to go back and confirm the sighting. And everyone else in the van wanted to, you know, actually see them. About a mile down the road I found a turn-off and did a Dukes-of-Hazzard-style 180-degree spinout to turn the van around.

Ok, fine, I did a 17-point turn. Either way, we headed back uphill. I slowed down, tried to find the same spot, and…

IMG_9391.jpg

Thank goodness, they were still there. Right off the side of the road, just doing their thing. Cool. Cross that off the list.

Later, we reached an overlook called Farview Curve with a view of the Never Summer mountains. I’ll keep researching and see if I can find out why they have that name for you.

IMG_9395.jpg

From there, we did a fast descent back down below the treeline and eventually reached the Timber Creek valley floor. Temperatures were much warmer down here and we quickly got rid of the sweatshirts. We would also learn that this was a prime spot for wildlife. Near the creek, we spied a herd of elk grazing in the meadow.

IMG_9398.jpg

And not long after that, Julie spotted a moose just hanging out in the shade.

IMG_9409.jpg

A few minutes later, we saw cars jamming both shoulders of the road. Score! There had to be something worthwhile here. We parked on the shoulder and hopped out so we could walk down the road for a better view without jamming a lane or having to look through a mass of parked cars. We heard several people talking about “moose” right on the side of the road. I have to admit, I let that excitement get the best of me and started looking for moose. Later that night, I posted a photo of what we saw on Facebook and proudly announced that we’d seen several moose (or “meese” for the plural).

IMG_9412.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

They were clearly elk. I’m clearly an idiot.

Thankfully, I had no shortage of friends who were willing to point out my mistake and correct me. I thanked them, let them have a laugh, and admitted that yes, they were in fact elk. Still, that didn’t stop the corrections from pouring in. Yes, they’re actually elk. Thanks, I got it. No, really, I got it. Geez, people, stop piling on!

This reminded me of working here at the state DOT. If you don’t know how to do something, you can ask for help all you want, and no one will have time to lift a finger to give you a hand. Dive in and do it spectacularly wrong, and there will be no shortage of people ready to jump all over you for being an idiot and doing it wrong. THEN they show you how to do it right. And that’s how we learn!

So, yes. They were elk. Moving on. Ahem.

The kids had finished their Junior Ranger booklets, so we stopped at the visitor center near the west entrance to have a ranger check their work. Before long, they were being sworn in and collecting their first badges of the trip, while I wrestled Drew and tried to make sure he didn’t crawl over the desk.

IMG_9423.jpg

With that, our tour of Rocky Mountain National Park was over. We left the park and drove out past the vacation area of Grand Lake, yet another beautiful spot with a lovely mountain backdrop. We set the GPS for Eagle, Colorado. It wanted to take us down several back mountain roads, but I wanted to take Route 9 back down to I-70, because I knew I-70 is actually a gorgeous drive through the mountains and ski resorts.

However, we reached Route 9 and were greeted with a torn-up road, construction signs, and a warning saying, “CAUTION: DIRT ROAD NEXT 25 MILES.”

I suddenly had bad flashbacks to our experience with the road in Joshua Tree National Park last summer. No, thanks.

Stupid highway engineers. Always making life difficult.

So, score one for the GPS. We followed the back mountain roads instead, and arrived in Eagle a couple of hours later. We spent the night at the Best Western of Eagle, on another Priceline deal. Our choice for dinner that evening was Moe’s Original Barbecue.

IMG_9429.jpg

This is actually a chain restaurant, but its locations are mostly in the deep South, with a few spots here and there in Colorado. So it was new to us. And BBQ always hits the spot.

They had a little kitchen area for kids to play with inside, and Drew had a great time with it. They even had a child-size smoker. Here Drew gets the wood chips stoked for our meal. You can never start ‘em too young when it comes to playing with fire.

IMG_9428.jpg

I got a pulled pork platter and a giant cup of lemonade that hit the spot. I don’t think any of us were willing to call this our favorite meal of the trip, but it was solid all around and we were very pleased with the food. Even better, we had no more bouts of altitude sickness. Just hearty appetites fueled by mountain hiking.

IMG_9426.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

So, while I would recommend the restaurant, I’d advise you to stay away from the Best Western. As accommodations go, it was perfectly fine. It’s an older building, but nothing terrible. The breakfast here was more on the run-of-the-mill/disappointing side. Yucky fake eggs, greenish potatoes, standard carb-loading fare. But the worst part was an $18 charge that showed up on my credit card later. We’d gone down to the front desk to request an extra blanket and pillow (since one kid was sleeping on the floor). That was no problem. But I called them after that $18 charge appeared, and the front desk told me it was to cover a “stolen pillow”.

Excuse me? I didn’t steal any pillows.

Our housekeeping reported a pillow was missing.

Did they take it? I didn’t take any pillows. If I was going to steal something—anything—I don’t think a pillow would be high on the list.

I disputed the charge, of course, and tried to speak to a manager, but never could get a hold of one. I left contact info, and no one ever had the decency to call me back. Then we got home and had to deal with my father-in-law’s passing immediately, so I forgot about this issue. It never got resolved. So, I’m just resolving it by letting you all know there are other options for lodging in the area that I would recommend first.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Coming Up Next: The most annoying drive of the trip. Plus, the return of the 50/50 burger.

Wow, you guys hit the wildlife jackpot! I've seen sheep in that spot only once...that's a rare sight! And sorry for piling on on FB. ;)

Moe's looks pretty good....That stinks about the charge for the pillow at the BW. I am noting to never stay there.

Jill in CO

I may or may not have thrown a snowball or two at certain youthful members of our party. I also may or may not have received a couple of hits in retaliation.
Thank goodness! I was starting to worry that you didn't take advantage of this natural phenomenon.

After lunch, we experienced our first bout with a hemorrhaging wallet in the gift shop at the Alpine Visitor Center.
Must have been bad if you're blocking out the thought of what was purchased. :rolleyes1

Any rain falling to the east of this ridge will drain to the Mississippi River and eventually to the Atlantic Ocean, whereas rain falling to the west runs to the Pacific, generally by way of the Colorado River.
Didn't you want to dump some water out and see if half of it runs one way and half runs the other?

Not far past this point, we had to hit the brakes and stop right in the road to avoid hitting a car in front of us that wasn't moving. I was about to start describing the other driver using some colorful metaphors, but then I remembered the rule about visiting National Parks: cars stopped in unusual places means wildlife is visible. So we stopped and began scanning the area.

We saw nothing. Maybe a bird or two.
And the birds were coming from other drivers.

Nope. They missed it. Naturally, we were on a downhill slope and there was no good place to turn around.
Of course they missed them. :sad2:

Thank goodness, they were still there. Right off the side of the road, just doing their thing. Cool. Cross that off the list.
Whew, that's a relief. I'm glad you got to fulfill your lifelong dream of seeing bighorn sheep in the wild.

Later, we reached an overlook called Farview Curve with a view of the Never Summer mountains.
Ok, this just looks like you stole some places you heard them mention on Jake and the Neverland Pirates or something.

Later that night, I posted a photo of what we saw on Facebook and proudly announced that we’d seen several moose (or “meese” for the plural).

IMG_9412.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg
Um... :confused: o_O

::yes:: ::yes::

This reminded me of working here at the state DOT. If you don’t know how to do something, you can ask for help all you want, and no one will have time to lift a finger to give you a hand. Dive in and do it spectacularly wrong, and there will be no shortage of people ready to jump all over you for being an idiot and doing it wrong. THEN they show you how to do it right. And that’s how we learn!
What??? You mean you actually learn???? :rolleyes1

::yes::

This is actually a chain restaurant, but its locations are mostly in the deep South, with a few spots here and there in Colorado. So it was new to us. And BBQ always hits the spot.
True statement. You can't go wrong with bbq.

Great picture!

The breakfast here was more on the run-of-the-mill/disappointing side. Yucky fake eggs
Well, they at least tried in the area of fake eggs. I know a lot of Best Western's I've stayed at over the years are doing well just to have some pastries that taste like they are less than 2 weeks old, let alone even try to make anything hot.

But the worst part was an $18 charge that showed up on my credit card later.
What??? :scared1:

We’d gone down to the front desk to request an extra blanket and pillow (since one kid was sleeping on the floor). That was no problem. But I called them after that $18 charge appeared, and the front desk told me it was to cover a “stolen pillow”.
A stolen pillow? Was this $18 pillow stuffed with the feathers of a dodo bird or something?

I disputed the charge, of course, and tried to speak to a manager, but never could get a hold of one. I left contact info, and no one ever had the decency to call me back.
That just sucks. It would make me re-think using priceline in the future too. :rolleyes1

Great pictures of the animals. Looked like a great day too.

So, what hit the wallet so hard?

Drew is so cute with the little kitchen. We all like BBQ, so I like to try one at least once when on vacation.

Can't believe a pillow is $18. Crazy. Making note.

Last edited:
Looking good. Other than the pillow. And confusing your large herbivores. But no altitude sickness or diaper blowouts!

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.
Week minded fools…

What new devilry is this?
Well, it’s either a blatant attempt to roll the next actual update to the top of a page, or a Balrog.
In either case, we should probably consider a hasty retreat.

Chapter 6: I'm On A Pilgrimage To See A Moose.
Dad, you want an aspirin?

One of the neatest parts of being in the Alpine region of Colorado in June was the fact that there was still abundant snow to be found.
All the better to pelt you with, my dear…

There were other special hazards to watch out for along Trail Ridge Road as well.
Those I’ve encountered from time to time…
Usually when traveling between the house and my boy’s school.

After lunch, we experienced our first bout with a hemorrhaging wallet
I hate it when wallets do that!

…whereas rain falling to the west runs to the Pacific, generally by way of the Colorado River.
Not any more…
It may well make the Colorado, but the Pacific… :sad2:

I was about to start describing the other driver using some colorful metaphors,
Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?
You well now Jacqueline Susann or Harold Robbins would have supplied us with several right about now.

Giants, they.

Eventually, the driver in front of us moved on. We couldn’t for the life of us figure out what he had seen.
Hallucination… That’s what I think I’ll go with here.
Wait… was that driver nibbling on some of the local cookies at the time?

Naturally.

Ok, fine, I did a 17-point turn.
So much for the comparisons to the Mini-Van of Doom.

That would have been worth a twenty-seven point turn.
After that, though, it’d likely start to have a bit of a diminishing return on investment.

Later, we reached an overlook called Farview Curve with a view of the Never Summer mountains. I’ll keep researching and see if I can find out why they have that name for you.
Hummmm… yep, that one’s a mystery

That’s not Marty.
(but It was very cool)

Later that night, I posted a photo of what we saw on Facebook and proudly announced that we’d seen several moose
Yeah, there was a bit of a disturbance in the Force over that one, as I recall

(or “meese” for the plural).
So, does Jinks also hate this type of meeses to pieces?

I’m clearly an idiot.
A statement of the obvious? (Or oblivious, as the case may be.)

However, we reached Route 9 and were greeted with a torn-up road, construction signs, and a warning saying, “CAUTION: DIRT ROAD NEXT 25 MILES.”
An instance where a GPS device might actually have known what it was on about, then?
Impressive… (and mightily surprising.)

Skipped the fairway and set that one up right on the green at the very edge of the cup, did ya’?
I think I’ll let the “kiddies” go ahead and tap that one in.
They need the experience.

Our choice for dinner that evening was Moe’s Original Barbecue.
This is actually a chain restaurant, but its locations are mostly in the deep South
And yet, I’ve not heard of it. Hummmm…

They had a little kitchen area for kids to play with inside, and Drew had a great time with it. They even had a child-size smoker. Here Drew gets the wood chips stoked for our meal. You can never start ‘em too young when it comes to playing with fire.
Indeed…

I got a pulled pork platter and a giant cup of lemonade that hit the spot. I don’t think any of us were willing to call this our favorite meal of the trip, but it was solid all around and we were very pleased with the food.
I’ll keep that critique in mind.
I see that there actually is one of these about 45-min away in a rather trendy spot.
I’ll remember it’s there but not go out of my way for it for the time being.
(me and rather trendy spots don’t generally get on too well, don’t ya’ know)

And that’s all I have to say about that.
It happens…

Sometimes

(Especially in relation to the typical Best Western by my experience)

Coming Up Next: The most annoying drive of the trip.
Only because you wisely turned around back there on Route-9

Plus, the return of the 50/50 burger.
A known commodity, that.
Yummyness shall surely follow.

One field near the road was still completely snow-covered, and many families had pulled over to the side of the road to let their kids run around in the snow in mid-June. It definitely made for a unique experience.
Hmmm, they should just come to Minnesota. :scratchin (Well, okay, the snow usually ends by April...or May...:sad2:)

When I was a kid, my parents did the same type of traveling with me that I’m doing with my family now. I’ve been to 49 of the 50 states in my 40+ years of life.
That is really cool! I think you have me beat - I need to figure out how many states I've been to. Our childhood trips (and adulthood ones, for that matter) haven't focused on "collecting" states exactly, so I'm sure there are some near-misses... Okay, this just made me really curious, so I consulted a map. Here's the ones that I don't think I've made it to yet (you can tell we mostly travelled West): Alaska, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi (might have driven in?), Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania (might have driven through?), Maryland, Delaware (guess I need to visit you and the other Delawarian DIS-ers), New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire. I may have actually been in more of those NE states than I remember - but I just am not sure (I know we were in Vermont and then Canada, so who knows how we drove it). Clearly, I need to make a trip south (instead of flying to WDW over those states) and a trip east. ::yes::

Whew! Glad it was worthwhile!

Thankfully, I had no shortage of friends who were willing to point out my mistake and correct me. I thanked them, let them have a laugh, and admitted that yes, they were in fact elk. Still, that didn’t stop the corrections from pouring in. Yes, they’re actually elk. Thanks, I got it. No, really, I got it. Geez, people, stop piling on!
Sounds like it was quite the stampede. :duck:

Our housekeeping reported a pillow was missing.
Maybe they meant an added pillow. I mean, did housekeeping even know you had an extra? Maybe they took a nice matching set of two home with them. :confused3

One of the neatest parts of being in the Alpine region of Colorado in June was the fact that there was still abundant snow to be found.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

Please! Don't use the "S" word!!! It's too early!!!

but there was some snow nearby in a couple of places.

Aiiiieeeeee!!!! You did it again! Please stop!

I may or may not have thrown a snowball or two at certain youthful members of our party. I also may or may not have received a couple of hits in retaliation.

Okay, while that does sound like fun, it's still no excuse to say the "S" word.

One field near the road was still completely snow-covered

You're just not going to stop, are you?

and many families had pulled over to the side of the road to let their kids run around in the snow in mid-June.

Okay. I'm begging. Please. Stop. It's not funny anymore... or ever.

It definitely made for a unique experience.

Uh, huh. Unique. Sure.
Try living it for 11 months out of the year.

Beware of G.I. Joes with parachutes and chinese lanterns?

After lunch, we experienced our first bout with a hemorrhaging wallet in the gift shop at the Alpine Visitor Center.

Get it to the ER, stat!
(ER = Economic Recovery)

The Divide is the ridge that runs all the way through the continent of North America. Any rain falling to the east of this ridge will drain to the Mississippi River and eventually to the Atlantic Ocean, whereas rain falling to the west runs to the Pacific, generally by way of the Colorado River.

Cool!
Reminds me of a sign we pass in.... hmmmm.... don't remember now... but I think it's Minnesota.
It's the point where all water drains North into Hudson Bay or South into the Atlantic.

Of course not. Don't be silly.

I’ve been to 49 of the 50 states in my 40+ years of life

Which one are you missing? Alaska? Or Hawaii?

And in all that time, through all of the national parks, I’d never seen bighorn sheep in the wild.

Ditto. Been to a few places where they roam, but... nope.

About a mile down the road I found a turn-off and did a Dukes-of-Hazzard-style 180-degree spinout to turn the van around.

The van then went over an embankment and we all perished...

Ok, fine, I did a 17-point turn.

Thought so.

Cool!!!

Please. Don't put yourself out. Not on my account.

Really.

Near the creek, we spied a herd of elk grazing in the meadow.

Also cool.

Moose on the side of the road = cool. Moose in the road = bad.

Later that night, I posted a photo of what we saw on Facebook and proudly announced that we’d seen several moose (or “meese” for the plural).

Uh... er...

Always nice when the author berates himself.
Saves us the trouble of doing so.

Oh and by the way. Those aren't moose. They're elk.
Thought you should know.

With that, our tour of Rocky Mountain National Park was over.

Sounds like it was a pretty durned good tour.

Nope!

Can you imagine ever meeting one of these morons????

What? What'd I say?

This is actually a chain restaurant,

Really! Sure doesn't look like one.

And BBQ always hits the spot.

They even had a child-size smoker.

They smoke children!!!!!!! :scared1:

You can never start ‘em too young when it comes to playing with fire.

This is a truism.

Even better, we had no more bouts of altitude sickness.

Good!

Great shot of the kids! :thumbsup2

Someone looks pretty happy... either that or he just passed gas.
Only you and your nose, knows.

But the worst part was an $18 charge that showed up on my credit card later. We’d gone down to the front desk to request an extra blanket and pillow (since one kid was sleeping on the floor). That was no problem. But I called them after that $18 charge appeared, and the front desk told me it was to cover a “stolen pillow”.

What???

Did they take it? I didn’t take any pillows. If I was going to steal something—anything—I don’t think a pillow would be high on the list.

Especially a crappy hotel pillow.
Read that any way you want. Crappy, hotel pillow or crappy hotel, pillow.

I disputed the charge, of course, and tried to speak to a manager, but never could get a hold of one. I left contact info, and no one ever had the decency to call me back.

Wow. Pretty lousy.

So, I’m just resolving it by letting you all know there are other options for lodging in the area that I would recommend first.

So rack rate there is about $150.
For the sake of an ignorant $18 charge, they've lost the opportunity to rent out rooms at $150 a pop.

Good call Best Western of Eagle, CO.

I just saw a Groupon for the Best Western in Eagle in my email yesterday....they were offering pillows for the special discount of $18. ;)

Jill in CO

I would expect no less. :thumbsup2

So what"dja get? :confused3

Along the way, we stopped at Milner Pass, which sits along the Continental Divide.

Did you actually test the theory with your own glass of water?

Very cool.

Near the creek, we spied a herd of elk grazing in the meadow.

Awesome day of animal sightings!

But the worst part was an $18 charge that showed up on my credit card later.

This really bites. Seriously $18 for a pillow? Was it silver plated? They're like $2 at Walmart!

Hey Mark,

As always a GREAT update full of awesome photos. I'd give you the courtesy of quoting, but my wrist is currently in blowout mode, (a REALLY bad case of tendonitis) and I'm trying to use it as little as possible so it can rest before staring up at school. :( Anyways, all of your pix are fantastic of the CO wilderness areas- very beautiful! Put a big patriotic feeling of pride in my chest. Needed to see that we still have good here in our great country on 9/11.

I'm hacked off for you about the pillow- what a crock. $18 isn't probably something I'd spend too much time chasing down after all you had going on. But still. Thanks again for the time you are giving in keeping this TR up. I really am enjoying it. :)

Lucky me, I got to get caught up on two chapters!

We got off at the Loveland exit, Rt. 34 west. Coincidentally, so did Batman. We caught up to him at a stop light.

IMG_9297.jpg

No you didn't. It may sound like a Chuck Norris joke, but you don't catch batman -- batman catches you.

A herd of elk was lazily grazing nearby.

IMG_9335.jpg

That is some lazy grazin'.

Who wouldn't LIKE-n................lichen???

I'd liken it to moss, personally.

Along the way, we stopped at Milner Pass, which sits along the Continental Divide. The Divide is the ridge that runs all the way through the continent of North America. Any rain falling to the east of this ridge will drain to the Mississippi River and eventually to the Atlantic Ocean, whereas rain falling to the west runs to the Pacific, generally by way of the Colorado River.

I'll bet you were tempted to spit on it and just watch in wonder.

Regarding that pillow, maybe somebody saw you carrying Drew out to the car and figured there had to be a pillow stuffed in there somewhere. :scratchin

Great pictures Mark, as always.

Wow, you guys hit the wildlife jackpot! I've seen sheep in that spot only once...that's a rare sight! And sorry for piling on on FB. ;)

In a weaker moment, I might admit that I deserved it.

Moe's looks pretty good....That stinks about the charge for the pillow at the BW. I am noting to never stay there.

I'm still angry about that.

Thank goodness! I was starting to worry that you didn't take advantage of this natural phenomenon.

What kind of dad would I be if I didn't?

Must have been bad if you're blocking out the thought of what was purchased. :rolleyes1

They had a lot of stuff based on the Colorado state flag, which I think is pretty cool. Dave collects patches, Sarah collects postcards, and Scotty collects pins, so we started loading up on stocking stuffers.

Didn't you want to dump some water out and see if half of it runs one way and half runs the other?

Well, we needed the water for hydration. I thought of a more crude method to test it, but you'd need 2 guys and Julie didn't approve of the idea.:rolleyes1

And the birds were coming from other drivers.

I had Scotty send it right back.

Of course they missed them. :sad2:

Well, you'd have to look up from the video game in order to see them.

Whew, that's a relief. I'm glad you got to fulfill your lifelong dream of seeing bighorn sheep in the wild.

Maybe I didn't explain it well. Certain animals are very rare sightings. I've only seen one bear in the wild, for example. In all of my travels, I'd thought I would have seen bighorn sheep by now, but it took me 40 years to get there.

Ok, this just looks like you stole some places you heard them mention on Jake and the Neverland Pirates or something.

Who knows, maybe I did!:rotfl2:

Yeah.

What??? You mean you actually learn???? :rolleyes1

We learn that nothing pleases you people!

True statement. You can't go wrong with bbq.

Great, now I'm hungry again.

Great picture!

Thanks!:goodvibes

Well, they at least tried in the area of fake eggs. I know a lot of Best Western's I've stayed at over the years are doing well just to have some pastries that taste like they are less than 2 weeks old, let alone even try to make anything hot.

Best Westerns really are hit or miss. We proved that even on this trip.

Grrrr...

A stolen pillow? Was this $18 pillow stuffed with the feathers of a dodo bird or something?

Seriously. It better have a neck massager built in or something if I'm spending $18 for it.

That just sucks. It would make me re-think using priceline in the future too. :rolleyes1

You know, I wondered about that. I wasn't sure if some hotels resent the Priceline customers and try and find ways to make up the difference. We had some good experiences too, though.

Great pictures of the animals. Looked like a great day too.

Rocky Mountain NP was definitely a highlight!

So, what hit the wallet so hard?

See above. Mostly getting some Christmas shopping done for the kiddos.

Drew is so cute with the little kitchen. We all like BBQ, so I like to try one at least once when on vacation.

I think that's a good rule. BBQ never gets old.

Can't believe a pillow is $18. Crazy. Making note.

Plenty of other options!

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

Looking good. Other than the pillow. And confusing your large herbivores. But no altitude sickness or diaper blowouts!

Thankfully, we went a whole day without an incident!:thumbsup2

Week minded fools…

+1:thumbsup2

Well, it’s either a blatant attempt to roll the next actual update to the top of a page, or a Balrog.
In either case, we should probably consider a hasty retreat.

Definitely the former, but you're right about the strategy.

Dad, you want an aspirin?

Don't touch!

All the better to pelt you with, my dear…

Those I’ve encountered from time to time…
Usually when traveling between the house and my boy’s school.

:scared1: I guess that'll keep you on your toes.

I hate it when wallets do that!

Me too.:sad2:

Not any more…
It may well make the Colorado, but the Pacific… :sad2:

And I thought Lake Mead looked bad last year...

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?
You well now Jacqueline Susann or Harold Robbins would have supplied us with several right about now.

Giants, they.

Can't say as I'm familiar with their work. I was thinking of the "colorful metaphors" Spock described in Star Trek IV.

Hallucination… That’s what I think I’ll go with here.
Wait… was that driver nibbling on some of the local cookies at the time?

I did notice an odor in the air...oh wait, that was me.

Naturally.

:sad2:

So much for the comparisons to the Mini-Van of Doom.

I'm an excellent driver.

That would have been worth a twenty-seven point turn.
After that, though, it’d likely start to have a bit of a diminishing return on investment.

Thanks! It's important to establish the parameters on these things.

Hummmm… yep, that one’s a mystery

It's on the tip of my tongue, I just know it...

That’s not Marty.
(but It was very cool)

Not Bullwinkle, either.

Yeah, there was a bit of a disturbance in the Force over that one, as I recall

Worse still, it was my fault.:sad2:

So, does Jinks also hate this type of meeses to pieces?

(shudder)

A statement of the obvious? (Or oblivious, as the case may be.)

Yes. Obviously.

An instance where a GPS device might actually have known what it was on about, then?
Impressive… (and mightily surprising.)

Isn't it? I have to give credit where it's due.

Skipped the fairway and set that one up right on the green at the very edge of the cup, did ya’?
I think I’ll let the “kiddies” go ahead and tap that one in.
They need the experience.

And yet, I’ve not heard of it. Hummmm…

Looked like it was mostly in Alabama, if I recall.

I’ll keep that critique in mind.
I see that there actually is one of these about 45-min away in a rather trendy spot.
I’ll remember it’s there but not go out of my way for it for the time being.
(me and rather trendy spots don’t generally get on too well, don’t ya’ know)

I don't know how trendy this one was. But I wouldn't go so far out of my way for it, either.:thumbsup2

It happens…

Sometimes

(Especially in relation to the typical Best Western by my experience)

Only because you wisely turned around back there on Route-9

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

A known commodity, that.
Yummyness shall surely follow.

Mmmmm...bacon...

Hmmm, they should just come to Minnesota. :scratchin (Well, okay, the snow usually ends by April...or May...:sad2:)

How do you people live up there, anyway?

That is really cool! I think you have me beat - I need to figure out how many states I've been to. Our childhood trips (and adulthood ones, for that matter) haven't focused on "collecting" states exactly, so I'm sure there are some near-misses... Okay, this just made me really curious, so I consulted a map. Here's the ones that I don't think I've made it to yet (you can tell we mostly travelled West): Alaska, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi (might have driven in?), Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania (might have driven through?), Maryland, Delaware (guess I need to visit you and the other Delawarian DIS-ers), New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire. I may have actually been in more of those NE states than I remember - but I just am not sure (I know we were in Vermont and then Canada, so who knows how we drove it). Clearly, I need to make a trip south (instead of flying to WDW over those states) and a trip east. ::yes::

It's a fun way to keep track of the places you've been. So many of these places have a lot to offer visitors!

Whew! Glad it was worthwhile!

Me too!

Sounds like it was quite the stampede. :duck:

Et tu, Dugette?

Maybe they meant an added pillow. I mean, did housekeeping even know you had an extra? Maybe they took a nice matching set of two home with them. :confused3

I have no idea. Somebody out there has an $18 pillow courtesy of my credit card.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

Please! Don't use the "S" word!!! It's too early!!!

Aiiiieeeeee!!!! You did it again! Please stop!

Okay, while that does sound like fun, it's still no excuse to say the "S" word.

You're just not going to stop, are you?

Okay. I'm begging. Please. Stop. It's not funny anymore... or ever.

Uh, huh. Unique. Sure.
Try living it for 11 months out of the year.

I appear to have touched a nerve here. My apologies, sir.

Although you did choose to live in Canada, you know.

Beware of G.I. Joes with parachutes and chinese lanterns?

Wow! I didn't think anyone would guess that one!

Get it to the ER, stat!
(ER = Economic Recovery)

Let me know when it gets there.

Cool!
Reminds me of a sign we pass in.... hmmmm.... don't remember now... but I think it's Minnesota.
It's the point where all water drains North into Hudson Bay or South into the Atlantic.

Interesting. I know the headwaters of the Mississippi is in Minnesota, but not this particular dividing line that you mentioned.

Of course not. Don't be silly.

Sorry.

Which one are you missing? Alaska? Or Hawaii?

That would be Alaska. Someday...

Ditto. Been to a few places where they roam, but... nope.

They're certainly not easy to spot! I was thrilled when we found these guys.

The van then went over an embankment and we all perished...

You're thinking of a different, much more exciting TR.

Thought so.

Fiction is always more fun than reality.

Wildlife galore!

Please. Don't put yourself out. Not on my account.

Really.

Well, ok, but it'll always be an unanswered riddle.

Also cool.

Moose on the side of the road = cool. Moose in the road = bad.

Have you seen that Mythbusters where they tried to see what would happen if you hit a moose with a car?

Uh... er...

:sad2:

Always nice when the author berates himself.
Saves us the trouble of doing so.

I have to beat you guys to the punch.

Oh and by the way. Those aren't moose. They're elk.
Thought you should know.

Thanks for the tip!

You haven't seen the modified "not a thumb" smiley in the DIS Dads club, have you?

Sounds like it was a pretty durned good tour.

Absolutely! I would love to return someday.

Can you imagine ever meeting one of these morons????

What? What'd I say?

And then I'd have to shake his/her hand, thanking them for the quality, unappreciated hard work they put in every single da--

I mean, uh, No! What a bunch of idiots!

Really! Sure doesn't look like one.

Would I lie to you? Don't answer that.

They smoke children!!!!!!! :scared1:

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

This is a truism.

Great shot of the kids! :thumbsup2

Thanks!:goodvibes

Someone looks pretty happy... either that or he just passed gas.
Only you and your nose, knows.

It could be both.

Especially a crappy hotel pillow.
Read that any way you want. Crappy, hotel pillow or crappy hotel, pillow.

I see what you did there. And I like it.:thumbsup2

Wow. Pretty lousy.

Yeah, I'm still ticked about that one.

So rack rate there is about $150.
For the sake of an ignorant $18 charge, they've lost the opportunity to rent out rooms at $150 a pop.

Good call Best Western of Eagle, CO.

This seems as good a place as any to give the Best Western:

:thumbsup2 <---- Not a thumb.

I just saw a Groupon for the Best Western in Eagle in my email yesterday....they were offering pillows for the special discount of $18. ;)

How can they do that? Those pillows must be subsidized somehow. :rotfl2:

I would expect no less. :thumbsup2

Glad I could oblige.

So what"dja get? :confused3

Mostly patches, pins, postcards, stuff the kids collect. I think we got Sarah a bandanna with the Colorado logo too.

Did you actually test the theory with your own glass of water?

Nah, water is too valuable at high altitudes. So I just went...oh, never mind.:rolleyes1

Very cool.

Awesome day of animal sightings!

This really bites. Seriously $18 for a pillow? Was it silver plated? They're like $2 at Walmart!

Seriously. Do you know how much bacon I could get for $18?

As always a GREAT update full of awesome photos. I'd give you the courtesy of quoting, but my wrist is currently in blowout mode, (a REALLY bad case of tendonitis) and I'm trying to use it as little as possible so it can rest before staring up at school. :( Anyways, all of your pix are fantastic of the CO wilderness areas- very beautiful! Put a big patriotic feeling of pride in my chest. Needed to see that we still have good here in our great country on 9/11.

Well, I can't imagine why a nurse would need to use her wrist at all. Seriously, rest up!

Colorado was so gorgeous. I can see why so many people fall in love with it.

I'm hacked off for you about the pillow- what a crock. $18 isn't probably something I'd spend too much time chasing down after all you had going on. But still. Thanks again for the time you are giving in keeping this TR up. I really am enjoying it. :)

Stupid Best Western. I'll tell 'em where to put their pillow.

Thanks for reading along!

Lucky me, I got to get caught up on two chapters!

Lucky?

8ccac8ddb7f929cdb566c94b832bc745.jpg

No you didn't. It may sound like a Chuck Norris joke, but you don't catch batman -- batman catches you.

Even in a minivan?

That is some lazy grazin'.

And I do know lazy.

I'd liken it to moss, personally.

rimshot.gif

I'll bet you were tempted to spit on it and just watch in wonder.

Um...spit? Yeah, let's go with that.:teeth:

Regarding that pillow, maybe somebody saw you carrying Drew out to the car and figured there had to be a pillow stuffed in there somewhere. :scratchin

It's as good a reason as any!

Great pictures Mark, as always.

Thanks Glenn!

I appear to have touched a nerve here. My apologies, sir.

Although you did choose to live in Canada, you know.

A nerve? Does it show? Huh. Thought I was hiding my discomfort quite well.... :sad2:

And I did not choose to live here.
I and (a lot... a lot of) people I know curse their parents every winter for settling here.
I did not choose to live here... I'm just too lazy to move.

Let me know when it gets there.

I'll ask my friend in Greece. I hear good things are happening there.

That would be Alaska. Someday...

Thought so... It is a little out of the way.
Do I see an Alaskan cruise in your future?

You're thinking of a different, much more exciting TR.

Whoops! Sorry about that.

Have you seen that Mythbusters where they tried to see what would happen if you hit a moose with a car?

No, I haven't... but I don't need to. I don't know anyone personally who's hit one, but I've seen the resulting carnage in the news once in a while.
It's like hitting a brick wall... that's on stilts... just high enough to send the wall through your windshield.
Not pretty.

You haven't seen the modified "not a thumb" smiley in the DIS Dads club, have you?

:laughing: No! For real? Did someone modify that?? :lmao:

It could be both.

It usually is, for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter