Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Speaking of getting started on a TR................... :surfweb:

Well, my photographer didn't deliver all the pictures yet… :rolleyes1 That's not the real reason. Work was just too busy, I guess that's the price for going on a vacation when your boss thinks it is a bad time for a week of. Unfortunately DCL doesn't listen to my boss.

I'm here! As usual I'm late to the table but I'll be around as your adventure unfolds!

Well, my photographer didn't deliver all the pictures yet… :rolleyes1 That's not the real reason. Work was just too busy, I guess that's the price for going on a vacation when your boss thinks it is a bad time for a week of. Unfortunately DCL doesn't listen to my boss.
Why am I not surprised your "photographer" is holding things up. ..... :sad2:

Totally understand the work issue. It doesn't matter how far ahead you plan, and submit your vacation days at work. .....it always seems to be a "bad time" for you to be away. :rolleyes1 For Pat it always seems to be (in some people's minds) a bad thing for her to use her vacation time........anytime. :headache:

I'm here! Will be back soon!

:welcome: Liesa! Glad you made it over here!

Oddly enough, I'm not really surprised.

I figured as much.

To paraphrase John Cleese in Fawlty Towers from "The Germans"
"Don't mention the ride!"

Sorry! I'll try not to bring it up again.

I'm sure your boss is more than happy to take vacations, though...:sad2:

I'm here! As usual I'm late to the table but I'll be around as your adventure unfolds!

:welcome: aboard John!

Why am I not surprised your "photographer" is holding things up. .....

:rotfl2:

Totally understand the work issue. It doesn't matter how far ahead you plan, and submit your vacation days at work. .....it always seems to be a "bad time" for you to be away. :rolleyes1 For Pat it always seems to be (in some people's minds) a bad thing for her to use her vacation time........anytime.

I have told people in my office that if I'm so important I can't disappear for a week or two, then obviously I need to be paid more.:thumbsup2

Before I get started on the actual TR, I thought I'd note a very cool, very exciting recent development. Look down--I have a new ticker!:woohoo:

If you can recall from my previous TR, I mentioned that Julie and I had been looking to escape for a long weekend by ourselves to celebrate a milestone birthday last year. We had wanted to leave the kids behind and head to Disney World in December, to take a much-needed break, enjoy ourselves as a couple, and see Disney at Christmas time. Unfortunately, Baby Drew and the lack of available funding scuttled those plans.

Fast-forward to this year, and we've still been scraping by. Add to that the passing of my father-in-law, and it's been a stressful year. But on the plus side, my FIL's affairs were in order and Julie has some inheritance as a result, which is a blessing. So we will be wise with it and try and make sure our long-term goals are in order. But Julie and I agreed that we should be allowed to have a little bit of fun--so why not take that postponed long weekend?

As of last night, we are booked! 4 nights in the Polynesian in December. The kids...well, they're not happy about this idea. And that's understandable. But someday, they'll meet someone and want to go to Disney without us too.

Awesome. Mom and Dad definitively need an us time. Yep, 2 years ago, I took DH and myself on a 3 night DCL cruise, and left the kids to fend for themselves (with GM over seeing them, which they were not happy with either). We had a great time, and for the first time in about 20 years, my DH said he was relaxed. It was exactly what we needed. It was also the week-end before Christmas, so we enjoyed the holiday decor and special treats.

Ok, now get on with the TR.

Oh, and glad to hear Julie is doing well, and glad to hear the FIL's estate got wrapped up in a timely manner to allow some financial happiness for your family.

Congrats on the holiday weekend! You guys deserve some me time. Just don't come home with another Disney souvenir! ;)

Jill in CO

As of last night, we are booked! 4 nights in the Polynesian in December. The kids...well, they're not happy about this idea. And that's understandable. But someday, they'll meet someone and want to go to Disney without us too.

This is awesome! You two definitely deserve some time together. You do so much for the kids, and why not treat yourselves! That's the same weekend that we're going to be there too. With those new smartphones you'll be getting we should text each other and meet up for a coffee or a Dole Whip!

Just don't come home with another Disney souvenir! ;)

:rotfl2:

Thanks for the signal flare! Quite the introduction....I loved it! Congrats on booking a couple's only trip to the Polynesian. Of course the kiddos aren't going to be happy about it but, hey, they'll get over it.

OK, I'm in, but this is just too wierd.
I came into the boards today just to look to see if MickeysToonTown had started a TR for her recent adventure, but instead, saw something about a Rocky Mountain trip report, and followed that trail to the DisDads board. OK, good enough for me, seeing I was just in the Colorado mountains a month ago on our own vacation.
But who do I see when I get to the bottom of the thread?? MICKEYSTOONTOWN Get out of my head, Lisa! Only my DW is allowed to do that, and i don't even like HER in there!:crazy2:

Now, BOTH of you... get writing:jester:

(Yeah, I know i gotta fix my avatar and sig)

Last edited:
I came into the boards today just to look to see if MickeysToonTown had started a TR for her recent adventure, but instead, saw something about a Rocky Mountain trip report, and followed that trail to the DisDads board. OK, good enough for me, seeing I was just in the Colorado mountains a week ago on our own vacation.
But who do I see when I get to the bottom of the thread?? MICKEYSTOONTOWN Get out of my head, Lisa! Only my DW is allowed to do that, and i don't even like HER in there!:crazy2:

That's too funny! I have got to get busy and finish up my 2014 trip report so I can start on the new one. Okay, getting outta your head now.

Before I get started on the actual TR, I thought I'd note a very cool, very exciting recent development. Look down--I have a new ticker!:woohoo:

If you can recall from my previous TR, I mentioned that Julie and I had been looking to escape for a long weekend by ourselves to celebrate a milestone birthday last year. We had wanted to leave the kids behind and head to Disney World in December, to take a much-needed break, enjoy ourselves as a couple, and see Disney at Christmas time. Unfortunately, Baby Drew and the lack of available funding scuttled those plans.

Fast-forward to this year, and we've still been scraping by. Add to that the passing of my father-in-law, and it's been a stressful year. But on the plus side, my FIL's affairs were in order and Julie has some inheritance as a result, which is a blessing. So we will be wise with it and try and make sure our long-term goals are in order. But Julie and I agreed that we should be allowed to have a little bit of fun--so why not take that postponed long weekend?

A couples retreat at the Polly?

That's just about the most perfect concept that I've heard in years.
I can't even say anything snide about that one.

Just do us one favor...
Take lots of pictures and post them back here afterward.
Remember...

We're all counting on you.

:woohoo: The Poly is a great place for a romantic getaway............ :lovestruc

And no Mark, you can't go on the honeymoon with Sarah.............. :rotfl2:

Just do us one favor...
Remember...

Really??? :confused3

No...........I mean.............Really! :cheer2:

So glad that you are getting your couples' trip! And the Poly is paradise! :cloud9: We also love that time of year, with all the Christmas decorations, etc. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Clever intro of jerks. (You said it.)

I LOVE that you two get to go all by yourselves! Very, very nice addition of a ticker. Looking forward to more, and looking forward to time to actually read it even more. ;)

Congratulations on the new ticker! That sounds like a wonderful trip. And I am amazed that the rule of never being allowed to go inside a park without the whole family being present does not apply if both the parents team up to throw the rules out of the window.... :rolleyes1

It is a wonderful time of year. I guess I need to finish my trip report about that time of year then...

Awesome. Mom and Dad definitively need an us time. Yep, 2 years ago, I took DH and myself on a 3 night DCL cruise, and left the kids to fend for themselves (with GM over seeing them, which they were not happy with either). We had a great time, and for the first time in about 20 years, my DH said he was relaxed. It was exactly what we needed. It was also the week-end before Christmas, so we enjoyed the holiday decor and special treats.

I'm a big proponent of Mom and Dad getting away by themselves every so often. We just haven't been able to make it happen for a while due to finances and having a baby. So we're overdue. Add to that our postponed plans from last year, and it felt right this time. I know the kids would rather go, but they'll understand in a couple of decades when they have kids of their own.

Ok, now get on with the TR.

Yes, ma'am!

Oh, and glad to hear Julie is doing well, and glad to hear the FIL's estate got wrapped up in a timely manner to allow some financial happiness for your family.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll always have our financial headaches and struggles, but it's nice to finally be able to put a little away for a rainy day. We'd been breaking even for a while there.

Congrats on the holiday weekend! You guys deserve some me time. Just don't come home with another Disney souvenir! ;)

:scared1:

As I keep saying, a souvenir along those lines will either result in a malpractice suit or a divorce!

This is awesome! You two definitely deserve some time together. You do so much for the kids, and why not treat yourselves! That's the same weekend that we're going to be there too. With those new smartphones you'll be getting we should text each other and meet up for a coffee or a Dole Whip!

We'd love to meet up! We don't have any phones, though. At least, not yet. Trying to decipher the various plans available seems to require a quantum physics degree. If that changes I will let you know!

Thanks for the signal flare! Quite the introduction....I loved it! Congrats on booking a couple's only trip to the Polynesian. Of course the kiddos aren't going to be happy about it but, hey, they'll get over it.

:welcome: Lisa!

Someday, they will. Maybe in about 20 years. I tried to compare the amount we'll be spending on their education compared to the amount of this trip, but that one wasn't getting through.

I came into the boards today just to look to see if MickeysToonTown had started a TR for her recent adventure, but instead, saw something about a Rocky Mountain trip report, and followed that trail to the DisDads board. OK, good enough for me, seeing I was just in the Colorado mountains a month ago on our own vacation.
But who do I see when I get to the bottom of the thread?? MICKEYSTOONTOWN Get out of my head, Lisa! Only my DW is allowed to do that, and i don't even like HER in there!

:welcome: Urugami! Thanks for climbing aboard.

Sounds like you have a lot going on in your head. I don't seem to have that problem, for some reason.:confused3

I'd do better if work didn't keep getting in the way!

That's too funny! I have got to get busy and finish up my 2014 trip report so I can start on the new one. Okay, getting outta your head now.

Seems like these TR's take longer and longer to complete. I think we're all too busy!

A couples retreat at the Polly?

That's just about the most perfect concept that I've heard in years.
I can't even say anything snide about that one.

Really? Well, I'm sure my kids will make up for it.

Just do us one favor...
Remember...

We shall do our best!

:woohoo: The Poly is a great place for a romantic getaway............ :lovestruc

I sure hope so!

And no Mark, you can't go on the honeymoon with Sarah.............. :rotfl2:

Um....huh?:confused3

So glad that you are getting your couples' trip! And the Poly is paradise! :cloud9: We also love that time of year, with all the Christmas decorations, etc. Can't wait to hear all about it!

I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll still like the WL and AKL better when all is said and done, but it was a good chance to try something new.

Clever intro of jerks. (You said it.)

I LOVE that you two get to go all by yourselves! Very, very nice addition of a ticker. Looking forward to more, and looking forward to time to actually read it even more.

Well, we know who we are at this point.

We're committed, no turning back now! It's great to have a getaway to look forward to. I know you fully understand that!

Congratulations on the new ticker! That sounds like a wonderful trip. And I am amazed that the rule of never being allowed to go inside a park without the whole family being present does not apply if both the parents team up to throw the rules out of the window....

That's the great thing about being the ones who make the rules!:woohoo::cool1::banana:

It doesn't hurt to have the Budget Committee on my side, either.

Sarah is a huge, huge Harry Potter fan, so we are quietly trying to figure out when would be a good time to take her to Universal Studios. Much will depend on whether she needs surgery to correct her scoliosis. But sooner or later we will take that trip as well, and that should make up for the hard feelings. I hope.

It is a wonderful time of year. I guess I need to finish my trip report about that time of year then...

::yes:: Now I need to do my research!

Awesome!!!!! I am so sure your FIL would want you two to use a bit for yourselves and yes, you should be allowed to have some fun. You will enjoy your trip. Don't forget EWP on the dock at 9pm. ;) Tambu lounge will out your drinks in plastic cups. If not at Trader Sams then the Tambu has been better than the pool bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter