Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

I am enjoying your Yellowstone pictures! We stayed at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and ate dinner at the Inn. I had every intention of taking a scheduled tour of the Inn, but never quite got around to it ... so much to see in that park. I would love to go back one day.

The tour was pretty good! We'll get to that a little later. And yes, Yellowstone is so huge. It's hard to give yourself enough time to explore it all. Definitely worth a return trip.

If you haven't, be sure to see The Good Dinosaur with your kids! I had no idea that it was set in Yellowstone until I was watching the movie and thought, "Hey, that looks like the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone ..."! It was pretty neat!

Haven't seen it yet, but I did hear that they based the landscape on NW Wyoming. Very cool!

Well.....

duh-duh1233387823.jpg

Man, I'd better get cracking, then. I don't think I can handle multiple TR's going at the same time.

Man, I'd better get cracking, then. I don't think I can handle multiple TR's going at the same time.

The bad thing is, I can't even keep up with this one. I just realized that you've been to Disney and back since I last caught up here. Well anyway, glad you had a good (and exhausting) time, and looking forward to that TR someday.

The bad thing is, I can't even keep up with this one. I just realized that you've been to Disney and back since I last caught up here. Well anyway, glad you had a good (and exhausting) time, and looking forward to that TR someday.

I know what you mean. I feel like my DIS time is dwindling, too. Still, I appreciate you guys checking in when you can. Someday we'll get that new TR started.

Chapter 16: That Ball Wouldn’t Have Made It Out Of A Lot Of Parks.

Name One.

Yellowstone.

We’d done it. We’d found an incredible place to stay, and it was right in the heart of the major tourist center of Yellowstone National Park. We were within walking distance of almost every single famous geyser the park had to offer.

Naturally, the first thing we did the next morning was scarf down some donuts in the room, buy some coffee at the snack bar, and then hop in the van and drive off.

Why? Well, there’s more to see in Yellowstone than just the geyser basin. In fact, there is more than one geyser basin. As I mentioned in the previous chapter, Yellowstone is a huge park. Our plan was to try and cover most of the park’s “other” attractions on this day, get the driving out of the way, and then have an easier second day, which was to be spent exploring the main geysers. Sounded good on paper.

So, we left in the early morning hours, headed for the Canyon Village section of the park on the eastern side. The main road system of the park is set up in a giant figure 8. Old Faithful is on the southwestern part of the lower loop in the 8, and the canyon village is right on the eastern center. It would be a 42-mile drive, and we wanted to get there while we still had some good morning light.

It was a beautiful morning, cool (temps typically sit in the 40’s at night) and crystal clear. It always feels a little weird to be wearing sweatshirts in summer. Weirder still if you’ve spent a couple of days previously hiking in 100-degree temperatures in the desert. Not that we were complaining.

Along the way, near Madison Junction, we came across a huge clearing in the forest. And in that clearing was a huge herd of bison—and several baby bison roaming among them.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

We sat, quietly amazed for a few minutes. Seeing these amazing creatures up close was a special experience, so we certainly weren’t going to rush.

Hey, little guy! Please tell me your mom is not behind me right now.

IMG_0157.jpg

Just down the road, we encountered our first Yellowstone traffic jam. These happen quite frequently throughout the day, and there’s not much you can do but wait it out. I suppose you could try and roll down your window and yell at the offending party, or even get out of your car to try and move him off the road, but…well, I wouldn’t recommend it.

IMG_0159.jpg

Where does a 2-ton bison go on the highway? Anywhere it darn well pleases.

IMG_0161.jpg

Eventually, he went on his way and traffic was moving again. Sometime later we reached the eastern side of the park. We drove directly to an overlook known as Artist Point.

Being an engineer, I’m a fairly direct, literal kinda guy. I’m not one to typically do well in literature class. I don’t pick up on symbolism and metaphors very well. If I read about a man who looks longingly at a stream peacefully flowing through the woods, I’m not going to read that as his momentary reflection upon and longing for a bygone youth spent in innocence and at one with nature. I just think he’s thirsty.

By the way, here’s an engineer’s tip for surviving conversations on the arts. Whenever someone brings up Shakespeare, just say the following phrase:

“No writer spoke to the human condition like William Shakespeare.”

It’s a guaranteed conversation-ender and subject-changer. It sounds deep, but nobody has any idea what that actually means. I don’t even know what it means. However, no one will want to risk looking stupid by asking what it means, so you’ll get a lot of profound-looking nods, an awkward pause, and then you can safely bring up last night’s football game. Trust me.

Anyway, I mention this because I really appreciate it when someone gives a place a descriptive name like “Artist Point”. That tells me, Mr. Literal, that artists like to set up camp here, so there must be something worthwhile that you can see from this point. Nice and simple. I like that.

We parked in the parking lot, being one of the very first arrivals that morning (I love beating the crowds). There’s a very short trail to follow before you reach the overlook.

Artist Point gives you a view of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River. It’s carved a canyon over many years through rock that has been tinted in several different colors by minerals from the park’s thermal features. The primary color is yellow, thus giving the park its name. This spot is the most breathtaking sight in the park. In fact, it’s one of the most breathtaking sights I’ve seen in the world.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

The Lower Falls is the tallest waterfall in the park—308 feet, more than twice the drop of Niagara Falls. Even from this distance, the roar of the water gushing over the falls was unmistakable. The panorama from here was truly unforgettable. Please forgive me while I indulge in a few photos. You just can’t stop taking pictures at a place like this. I could have stared for hours.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Obviously, we’d arrived early because we not only wanted to beat the crowds, but we had wanted to catch the falls in the morning light before it was covered in shadows the rest of the day.

You can see in that last photo that Baby Drew thought this was a special occasion, too. He even wore his Junior Park Ranger outfit.

Using my advanced deductive reasoning skills, I figured that if there was a Lower Falls, there must be an Upper Falls as well. Not only that, but there were signs pointing the way. A short drive down the road led to another overlook.

IMG_0190.jpg

That one’s only 109 feet high. Pfffft.

If you cross the river to the northern side, there are a couple of trails leading to the brink of each waterfall. Being the completists that we are, we set out for the Brink of the Upper Falls first. This is a short, easy walk that leads here:

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

The sheer power of the water flowing over the edge was even more evident here.

We ran into a large group of Asian tourists piling out of a bus at this overlook. I have to say, they were as hardcore as we were about seeing the sights. In the early morning hours, the only other people we consistently saw out and about were the Asian tour groups. They don’t mess around!

We moved on to the trail to the Brink of the Lower Falls. Looking at the map, it appeared to consist of a few switchbacks down the slope to the viewpoint. The map did warn that it was a steep trail, but we figured after Delicate Arch we could handle a few switchbacks. I once again strapped the baby to my back and set off.

Immediately, we knew that the climb out was going to be a beast. The trail itself is 0.75 miles round trip. But it’s 1/8th of a mile down and 17 miles coming back (approximate).

The trail consists of 12 or 13 switchbacks down the slope connected by steep inclines. So we pretty much raced down the slope, knowing the whole way that it was going to be painful coming back out. Still, we made it to the brink of the falls, and I think it was worth the effort.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Doesn’t look like 309 feet from here, does it?

IMG_0226.jpg

Having seen the falls from every conceivable angle, we made our slow and painful climb back up. To give you an idea of the climb, here are Sarah and Scotty just ahead of us after passing one switchback.

IMG_0233.jpg

We saw several people coming down, asking “how much farther?” All we could think was that if you were getting tired on the way down, good luck going back up!

At long last we made it back to the van, where I could once again happily throw the backpack in the back seat. We stopped at the Canyon Village visitor center to rest a bit, use the restroom, and most importantly, grab some snacks. This hiking stuff will really give you an appetite, and we still had a lot of park to cover in the afternoon.

Coming Up Next: Mammoth Hot Springs, our first geysers, and cheating a bit to pick up another state.

We’d done it. We’d found an incredible place to stay, and it was right in the heart of the major tourist center of Yellowstone National Park. We were within walking distance of almost every single famous geyser the park had to offer.

Naturally, the first thing we did the next morning was scarf down some donuts in the room, buy some coffee at the snack bar, and then hop in the van and drive off.

What the heck is wrong with you!
You've arrived! Set a spell and enjoy!
But noooooo...

Because you're an idiot?

Well, there’s more to see in Yellowstone than just the geyser basin.

Oh. Well... okay, then.

When I was there I don't know if we saw anything other than Old Faithful.
That was a looong time ago. I think I was 8 or 10 at the time.

Old Faithful is on the southwestern part of the lower loop in the 8, and the canyon village is right on the eastern center.

Definitely don't remember anything about a canyon village.
Remember something about hot springs.
I think.

It was a beautiful morning, cool (temps typically sit in the 40’s at night) and crystal clear.

Nice. I like cool at night for sleeping.

It always feels a little weird to be wearing sweatshirts in summer. Weirder still if you’ve spent a couple of days previously hiking in 100-degree temperatures in the desert.

That's pretty amazing actually, isn't it?
The diversity in a relatively small piece of real estate.

And in that clearing was a huge herd of bison—and several baby bison roaming among them.

Cool! Kind of like a glimpse back into the past when they covered the prairies.

If she was.... you'd know.

I suppose you could try and roll down your window and yell at the offending party, or even get out of your car to try and move him off the road, but…well, I wouldn’t recommend it.

:laughing: Why do I get the feeling if someone did try to get him out of the way, the bison would probably just ignore him.

::yes:: :laughing:

Being an engineer, I’m a fairly direct, literal kinda guy. I’m not one to typically do well in literature class. I don’t pick up on symbolism and metaphors very well. If I read about a man who looks longingly at a stream peacefully flowing through the woods, I’m not going to read that as his momentary reflection upon and longing for a bygone youth spent in innocence and at one with nature. I just think he’s thirsty.

I totally thought you were going this way:
"If I read about a man who looks longingly at a stream peacefully flowing through the woods, I think one word. And that word is "dam"."

By the way, here’s an engineer’s tip for surviving conversations on the arts. Whenever someone brings up Shakespeare, just say the following phrase:

It’s a guaranteed conversation-ender and subject-changer. It sounds deep, but nobody has any idea what that actually means. I don’t even know what it means. However, no one will want to risk looking stupid by asking what it means, so you’ll get a lot of profound-looking nods, an awkward pause, and then you can safely bring up last night’s football game. Trust me.

I believe you.
But if you say it when the guys are talking football, they just look at you funny.

Oh, and "Ahh! Bach."

It’s carved a canyon over many years through rock that has been tinted in several different colors by minerals from the park’s thermal features. The primary color is yellow, thus giving the park its name.

Huh. Never knew that's how it got its name.
Stupid of me, really. Of course there'd have to be some yellow rock somewhere.

In fact, it’s one of the most breathtaking sights I’ve seen in the world.

And that's saying a lot, considering all the sights you've see in your travels.

The Lower Falls is the tallest waterfall in the park—308 feet, more than twice the drop of Niagara Falls.

Doesn't look it.
If you hadn't said that, I'd have guessed that it wasn't as tall.

"Hey! Down in front! I'm trying to take a picture here!"

You can see in that last photo that Baby Drew thought this was a special occasion, too. He even wore his Junior Park Ranger outfit.

::yes::

And for being ahead of the crowd... you still found someone to take a photo for you.

That one’s only 109 feet high. Pfffft.

And yet I like that shot better.
Maybe it's the rainbow. Maybe it's closer.

We ran into a large group of Asian tourists piling out of a bus at this overlook. I have to say, they were as hardcore as we were about seeing the sights. In the early morning hours, the only other people we consistently saw out and about were the Asian tour groups. They don’t mess around!

Makes sense. You just drove over.
They paid buckets of cash to be there.

I once again strapped the baby to my back and set off.

Uh, oh. That's a sure sign of overly strenuous activity ahead.

The trail itself is 0.75 miles round trip. But it’s 1/8th of a mile down and 17 miles coming back (approximate).

I thought you were exaggerating, but I did the math and it checks out.

Doesn’t look like 309 feet from here, does it?

To be honest, (maybe because I'm lacking a good frame of reference?) it looks like 8-10 feet.

To give you an idea of the climb, here are Sarah and Scotty just ahead of us after passing one switchback.

Whoa. You weren't kidding when you said steep.

We saw several people coming down, asking “how much farther?” All we could think was that if you were getting tired on the way down, good luck going back up!

Suckahs! See you later... while you're being given oxygen by the rescue crew.

At long last we made it back to the van, where I could once again happily throw the backpack in the back seat

This hiking stuff will really give you an appetite, and we still had a lot of park to cover in the afternoon.

Can't wait!

Yellowstone is definitely at nearly the top of my touring list. Honestly, I didn't even know there were falls like that to be seen. Bison and geysers yes, but falls... didn't have a clue. And now I get the Artist's Point reference. Cool little tidbit to tuck away in my self-limiting memory banks. :) Wish I had more time to comment and heckle, but my tamales are done and it's nearly time to sit down to our early extended family Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas, Friends!!!!

That Ball Wouldn’t Have Made It Out Of A Lot Of Parks.

Name One.

Yellowstone.

Oh! I know this one! Major League!

We drove directly to an overlook known as Artist Point.

Heyyyy now I know where the restaurant got its name at WL. Though, seeing as it's modeled after Yellowstone, makes sense.

It’s carved a canyon over many years through rock that has been tinted in several different colors by minerals from the park’s thermal features. The primary color is yellow, thus giving the park its name.

Again with the literal-ness.

This just makes me queasy. I love waterfalls. I love admiring them. But I prefer the smaller, gentler, NC versions. High, powerful waterfalls make me nervous. I can't help but think one slip and it would all be over. So I generally hang back.

Loved the pictures of the Falls! Looks awesome. And bison are cool, so peaceful. Doesn't look like it'd be too much of a challenge to ride up alongside one and shoot it, although the Buffalo Bill types probably made it sound like it required major hunting skills.

Immediately, we knew that the climb out was going to be a beast. The trail itself is 0.75 miles round trip. But it’s 1/8th of a mile down and 17 miles coming back (approximate).
Please tell me that 17 miles is a typo! Did you miss a decimal?

What the heck is wrong with you!
You've arrived! Set a spell and enjoy!
But noooooo...

I know. What can I say? I'm an idiot.

Because you're an idiot?

Ok, ok, you don't need to rub it in.

Oh. Well... okay, then.

When I was there I don't know if we saw anything other than Old Faithful.
That was a looong time ago. I think I was 8 or 10 at the time.

It's really hard to see everything there unless you spend at least a couple of days. You could fill the good part of a week there if you wanted to really hike and explore.

Definitely don't remember anything about a canyon village.
Remember something about hot springs.
I think.

Ok, so you probably came in from the north, saw Mammoth Hot Springs, and then continued south to Old Faithful. Makes sense.

Nice. I like cool at night for sleeping.

We did crack the windows a bit in the room. There's no air conditioning, but at that elevation it's really not needed during the day.

That's pretty amazing actually, isn't it?
The diversity in a relatively small piece of real estate.

Incredible! I love this part of the country.

Cool! Kind of like a glimpse back into the past when they covered the prairies.

If she was.... you'd know.

Why do I get the feeling if someone did try to get him out of the way, the bison would probably just ignore him.

Because that's exactly what he's doing!

I totally thought you were going this way:
"If I read about a man who looks longingly at a stream peacefully flowing through the woods, I think one word. And that word is "dam"."

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Dam! Wish I would have thought of that.

I believe you.
But if you say it when the guys are talking football, they just look at you funny.

Oh, and "Ahh! Bach."

:rotfl2: Once you've said that, you've said it all.

Huh. Never knew that's how it got its name.
Stupid of me, really. Of course there'd have to be some yellow rock somewhere.

At least it wasn't called "Yellow Tetons" or something.

And that's saying a lot, considering all the sights you've see in your travels.

Or maybe I just tend to gush a lot. It's a very special place, though.

Doesn't look it.
If you hadn't said that, I'd have guessed that it wasn't as tall.

Hard to tell without a good reference for scale. That roar of the water is pretty convincing, though. Wish I could capture that in a photo.

"Hey! Down in front! I'm trying to take a picture here!"

::yes:: I wish I could go back and tell Julie to get a nice wide shot like that. For some reason she took them all in portrait style.

And for being ahead of the crowd... you still found someone to take a photo for you.

Well, there were a couple other people there. That parking lot was very empty, though. Nothing like it would be later in the day.

And yet I like that shot better.
Maybe it's the rainbow. Maybe it's closer.

I think it's easier to see the height of the falls in that one. The rainbow is cool, too.

Makes sense. You just drove over.
They paid buckets of cash to be there.

Truth. Also, Americans are lazy.

Uh, oh. That's a sure sign of overly strenuous activity ahead.

I can hardly wait until he can walk these trails himself.

I thought you were exaggerating, but I did the math and it checks out.

Cool, because others were questioning me on that one.:rolleyes1

To be honest, (maybe because I'm lacking a good frame of reference?) it looks like 8-10 feet.

I'm sure it would have felt farther if I'd jumped. But keep in mind we couldn't really see the bottom from there.

Whoa. You weren't kidding when you said steep.

:faint:

Suckahs! See you later... while you're being given oxygen by the rescue crew.

Exactly. I'm sure they were primarily asking because they, too, were doing the math on coming back up and figuring it was about 17 miles.

Can't wait!

:goodvibes

Yellowstone is definitely at nearly the top of my touring list. Honestly, I didn't even know there were falls like that to be seen. Bison and geysers yes, but falls... didn't have a clue. And now I get the Artist's Point reference. Cool little tidbit to tuck away in my self-limiting memory banks. :) Wish I had more time to comment and heckle, but my tamales are done and it's nearly time to sit down to our early extended family Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas, Friends!!!!

It's such a gorgeous place. Now you can have a fancy meal at the Wilderness Lodge and have a little more inside Disney knowledge! Never a bad thing.

Merry Christmas! Oh, and got any extra tamales?

@Steppesister That should be "Bison and geysers and bears, oh my!"
And would still be wholly accurate, too!

He's got a point there.

So you're saying if I click my glittery red shoesies together I can be there muy pronto-like too? And we can add flying monkeys to the mix?

Let me know if it works!

He must have tried it before.

Awesome! I like flying monkeys. There are days I really wish I had some.

As long as they don't fly out of my butt.

Oh! I know this one! Major League!

+1:thumbsup2 Good job!

Heyyyy now I know where the restaurant got its name at WL. Though, seeing as it's modeled after Yellowstone, makes sense.

Yep. There's always a story there.

Again with the literal-ness.

I yam what I yam.

This just makes me queasy. I love waterfalls. I love admiring them. But I prefer the smaller, gentler, NC versions. High, powerful waterfalls make me nervous. I can't help but think one slip and it would all be over. So I generally hang back.

Oh, it's not that bad. They have guardrails and walls and everything. Don't climb over them, and you'll be fine.:thumbsup2

Loved the pictures of the Falls! Looks awesome. And bison are cool, so peaceful. Doesn't look like it'd be too much of a challenge to ride up alongside one and shoot it, although the Buffalo Bill types probably made it sound like it required major hunting skills.

Well, I'm sure there's a big difference between being able to shoot one, and being able to shoot one dead before it gets really angry at you.

Our plan was to try and cover most of the park’s “other” attractions on this day, get the driving out of the way, and then have an easier second day, which was to be spent exploring the main geysers. Sounded good on paper.
Seems like a good plan to me!

It was a beautiful morning, cool (temps typically sit in the 40’s at night) and crystal clear. It always feels a little weird to be wearing sweatshirts in summer. Weirder still if you’ve spent a couple of days previously hiking in 100-degree temperatures in the desert. Not that we were complaining.
At least you had the sweatshirts for when you needed them.

If she was, you'd know it.

Just down the road, we encountered our first Yellowstone traffic jam. These happen quite frequently throughout the day, and there’s not much you can do but wait it out. I suppose you could try and roll down your window and yell at the offending party, or even get out of your car to try and move him off the road, but…well, I wouldn’t recommend it.
Eh... it's just like a big cow, no big deal.

Honestly, it really seems funny that they're so used to all the traffic that it doesn't even phase them anymore.

Noted.

And here we thought you were Oblivious. Just playin' everybody.

The Lower Falls is the tallest waterfall in the park—308 feet, more than twice the drop of Niagara Falls. Even from this distance, the roar of the water gushing over the falls was unmistakable. The panorama from here was truly unforgettable. Please forgive me while I indulge in a few photos. You just can’t stop taking pictures at a place like this. I could have stared for hours.
::yes:: Looks amazing.

Using my advanced deductive reasoning skills, I figured that if there was a Lower Falls, there must be an Upper Falls as well. Not only that, but there were signs pointing the way. A short drive down the road led to another overlook.
You can't have a lower without an upper. Even I'm smart enough to figure that out.

The trail itself is 0.75 miles round trip. But it’s 1/8th of a mile down and 17 miles coming back (approximate).
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: But at least it isn't 100 degrees. :thumbsup2

Still, we made it to the brink of the falls, and I think it was worth the effort.

At long last we made it back to the van, where I could once again happily throw the backpack in the back seat. We stopped at the Canyon Village visitor center to rest a bit, use the restroom, and most importantly, grab some snacks. This hiking stuff will really give you an appetite, and we still had a lot of park to cover in the afternoon.
What??? You paid for visitor center snacks??? Where's the PB&J????

I know. What can I say? I'm an idiot.

46549562.jpg

Ok, ok, you don't need to rub it in.

Sorry. It's what I do.

It's really hard to see everything there unless you spend at least a couple of days. You could fill the good part of a week there if you wanted to really hike and explore.

I think.... think we overnighted in a cabin?
And I could be completely off about that.

Ok, so you probably came in from the north, saw Mammoth Hot Springs, and then continued south to Old Faithful. Makes sense.

I think we came in from the north too.

At least it wasn't called "Yellow Tetons" or something.

:rolleyes1

Or maybe I just tend to gush a lot.

Regularly? We'll call you Old Faithful.

Truth. Also, Americans are lazy.

:lmao:

I can hardly wait until he can walk these trails himself.

Oh really? Huh. Never would've guessed.

Cool, because others were questioning me on that one.:rolleyes1

Nope. Got that right away.
Missed everything else.

I'm sure it would have felt farther if I'd jumped.

The TR would've been done, then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter