Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

So, story time:

Once upon a time, I met a really handome guy in college when I was studying for my M.R.S. degree in Flagstaff. He was so hawt, I decided to add a minor to my Ed. Degree so I could see him more. Oddly, (or not so much) I took a Geo 121 class and he was the TA and that trip happened to have a field trip out of NAU to Moab. The memory that stands out most from that EXACT hotel was gin and tonics with all of the MA students (and me cuz I was in the "in" crowd by then) by that pool after hiking all over God's red earth that day (and yes, it was 100 and hell degrees then too). 25 years ago there wasn't a really cool flaming arch, but there was a flaming hot romance a'brewing.... Truth.

Wow...it appears I was visiting hallowed ground, then. Did this same TA go on to fight forest fires in Oregon?

@Steppesister had to get a degree in becoming a Mrs???

Huh.

Who knew?

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Well, it can't be easy learning all these complicated rules on how to baffle your husbands.

Turns out I was completely confused. We are going there Monday night! Doh!

Oh well. We can still shoot for Friday.

Ha! Whoever comes up with these designations needs to spend a day with a Handicapped person, not marathon runners! :rotfl:

To be fair, it's hard to meet ADA standards in the wild!

That's too bad. And I supposed it will take another 100,000 years for another one to form.

Probably. Not much we can do about it!

Tough one. At least the problem solved itself fairly easily.

It's a good thing the town was so close.

After all the walking you have been doing, you sound like a spring chicken to me!

Well, I appreciate the compliment! Your check is in the mail.

Yeah, I would expect you would have!

:faint:

Two degrees colder… and me without my muff.

I'm glad someone is paying attention. +1:thumbsup2

Ahhh… the simple joys of life

It's amazing how much your priorities change depending upon your circumstances.

Under such conditions, this should be nothing more than a bit of a lark.

Sure, sure...

And I s’pect he was plenty glad to have the shade and chauffeur,

I could have used both myself.

You needed you one of these handy-dandy devices, righ’chere…
monster-stroller.jpg

Part of me thinks that's AWESOME! And part of me shudders at thought of pushing it uphill in 100-degree heat.

Well lookie there… Y’all found someone with a relatively decent eye for composition.

Will wonders never cease!

We must all be masters of something

Know thyself.

That’s a problem?
Sounds more like a cunning plan.

Well...we did have a cunning plan for the following day's lunch.

And an opportunity missed
(of course, you also didn’t spend extra money either so really, it’s all good)

Yeah, you do what you gotta do.

You’re telling me that this ain’t rocket surgery?

4127_nasabumperstickermath.jpg

Well… it’s a mystery.

We will continue pondering...

You need to get that boy to Pisa…
There’s this tower over there that needs just one more person to help hold it up.

Good idea! I bet nobody has tried that one yet.

Can’t imagine why…

:rolleyes1

The remaining bones of vast mountains now long gone…
The whole area is just jaw dropping.

Agreed.::yes::

“It belongs in a museum!”

"So do you!"

Well, not you personally, but you know what I--ok, moving on.

We could debate which of y’ens made better use of the time.

Zzzz...huh, what?

Hummm…
Sounds like a July day at AK.

Excellent comparison. There's less shade in Utah, though.

Gonn’a have to go with: good pizza, on that particular comparison.

It was good pizza.

Because it’s a moral imperative.

::yes::

That right there would have been a worthy Christmas card if you’d have just drug Julie into the pool with you

True! I think she stayed out because she knew it was close to baby's bed time.

Look out! He’s gonn’a blow!
(reminds me of the old “never fart in a wet suit” joke.)

It makes you want to pop him, doesn't it?

Well, let's just say that my MRS degree turned out to be far more lucrative than my BS.Ed. ;)

I never thought our BS degrees would actually turn out to be BS!:rotfl:

Sorry, Mark. Looks like your thread just took a divebomb. You're probably sitting there thinking, "Man, doesn't she have some studying to do or something?!"

Nah. This is much more interesting than the TR. It's what makes the TR's fun!

I need to make one of these!!!

That'll get people out of the way!

You need an obnoxious horn on it, too. Just because.

Pretty much. Why couldn't they put these parks in more convenient places?

Oh, ma gawd. Like, fer sure. Like, not considerate, at all.

I think there's actually video of part of the arch collapsing online. Pretty scary!

Huh. But I suppose considering the amount of people looking at it an any given time, video is inevitable.

It's the way of things. The good news is, new arches are always forming. Bad news: we won't be around to see them.

Speak for yourself!

But prettier.

Fewer cars, too.

As if our lunches could get any more basic.

Bread.

Nah, go right ahead. Those are more entertaining than anything I wrote in the chapter!

:laughing:

You mean it wasn't always there?

No!
I have an idea forming in my head about a possible road trip... somewhen.
When I decide the time's ripe, I'll start scouring books/internet for things I need to see.

Sooner or later, even our family gets sick of 'em.

Is this possible???

Oh, ma gawd. Like, fer sure. Like, not considerate, at all.

As if!

Huh. But I suppose considering the amount of people looking at it an any given time, video is inevitable.

Actually, I think it was in the 1990's, so cameras weren't quite as prevalent.

Speak for yourself!

Discovered the fountain of youth, did you? I eat too much bacon to live that long.

Fewer cars, too.

A definite bonus.

Don't forget the Cheetos.

No!
I have an idea forming in my head about a possible road trip... somewhen.
When I decide the time's ripe, I'll start scouring books/internet for things I need to see.

Gotcha. I start planning these things years in advance! Daydreaming is always more fun than working.

Is this possible???

Not just possible, but inevitable!

Chapter 12: Train Don’t Run Out of Wichita—Lessin’ You’re a Hog or a Cattle. People Train Runs Out of Stubbville.

Sadly, it was time to move on from Utah.

But not before we had more cinnamon rolls. That was job number one, so we headed for the breakfast room as soon as everyone was up and ready. I don’t know if it was the fact that we were up early, or that we were preoccupied with thoughts of either the long drive ahead of us or cinnamon rolls, but it pains me to admit that at this moment, we let our guard down.

All of us, that is, except for one lone hero.

It was simple, really. We’d become lazy and complacent. All of these modern amenities had hidden the simple truth: we were in the Wild West. Anything and everything out here is a danger.

And so we strolled down that hotel hallway, laughing, joking, looking forward to warm gooey icing, not a worry in the world…

Suddenly, the door to our right opened. Before any of us could even make a move, it was clear—we were being ambushed!

We froze, caught completely unawares, certain that death would come raining down upon us at any moment. This was the end. I could feel it in my gut. Or it might have been gas.

Just as it seemed our family vacation would go plunging into the abyss…

Baby Drew stepped forward. Quick as a flash of lightning, he raised his hands, index fingers blazing.

Pchew! Pchew! Pchew!” he shouted. And just like that, the threat was no more.

I’d like to point out that I taught him that.

So yes, Baby Drew ambushed total strangers in the hotel. Thankfully, they were the good-humored sort of people and played along with him once they figured out what in the heck he was doing.

We departed the hotel without further incident. Well, except for a total mystery. Somehow, six extra cinnamon rolls found their way into our van. By the time we discovered them, we had traveled too far to turn back. So we were forced to eat them.

We took the main road north out of Moab and confirmed that it was definitely a more boring drive than the back road we’d taken into town. And then we settled in for a long drive north.

Not much happened. Let’s fast-forward to lunchtime.

Wait, we did see a train. So we had that going for us, which is nice.

IMG_9795.jpg

Ok, so we made it to the southern outskirts of Salt Lake City around noon. As you can guess, by now we were all sick of PB&J sandwiches after having had them every day for almost a week. Julie and I know we need to break up the lunch menu periodically, so we try and do that on the long-driving days. It gives us an excuse to stop and break up the drive as well. Careful, meticulous research had uncovered a promising lunch location very close to the highway, and soon we were navigating the exit ramp to find an In ‘N Out Burger.

We’d tried this chain for the first time last summer in Phoenix, and figured since we don’t have them on the East Coast, we might as well take advantage of the opportunity to eat there again. Our verdict remains the same: decent burgers, especially considering that they are fast food. Lousy french fries.

Moving on, we made contact with a friend from Delaware who had moved to Salt Lake City a couple of years ago. We managed to meet her and her kids at a mall north of the city and spend a few minutes catching up. Before long, we were back on the road again. We kept trying to catch a glimpse of the Great Salt Lake, but we were just a little bit too far away to be able to see it through the city.

It wasn’t until we left the highway and drove west, north of the lake, that we could see much of it at all. And the view still wasn’t great, but you could at least see a lake. You could also see the salt deposits on the dry ground.

IMG_9802.jpg

At this point, you might be asking yourself, “Self, why would they leave the highway? There’s nothing in northern Utah.” And you’d almost be right. The fact is, there is nearly nothing in northern Utah. It’s an utterly barren wasteland. But right in the middle of that barren wasteland is Promontory, Utah.

Not impressed? Ok, let me explain.

No, there is too much. Let me sum up: this is the location of Golden Spike National Historic Site.

Like I said, I look for ways to break up the long drives. And I also mentioned that I’m a completist when it comes to touring, and especially when it comes to obtaining National Park passport stamps. So given that we were driving 8 hours that day, going 30 miles out of our way didn’t seem like too much to ask.

IMG_9807.jpg

Golden Spike NHS commemorates the location where two railroad companies, Union Pacific (building from the east) and Central Pacific (building from the west), met and completed the First Transcontinental Railroad. The meeting location was marked with a golden railroad spike, the last spike driven to complete construction. The railroad was finished in 1869 after six years of work.

The park itself is fairly small. There’s a visitor center and railroad tracks in the back where demonstrations are held. There’s also a self-guided auto tour you can take of various points of interest in the area.

When I was a kid, my parents had taken me here, and we did the self-guided auto tour. Trust me when I say this: to enjoy that auto tour, you need to REALLY be interested in the inner workings and politics of railroad companies in the 1860’s. As a kid, I wasn’t all that interested. Truth be told, I wasn’t all that interested as an adult, either. But anyway, we drove from point to point in my youth, and at the appropriate locations my parents would read from the guide about whatever was supposed to have taken place there, or what worker conditions were like, etc. It was obvious that my brother and I weren’t paying attention and my parents were getting more and more frustrated with us. So they yelled a bit at us and we quieted down. The auto tour continued without incident, until we got close to the end. My parents were reading some incredibly vital statistic about the price of iron ore in 1868 when they turned around and saw me in the back seat placing Nilla Wafers over my eyes inside my glasses.

You know those moments as a parent when you have to make a righteous show of anger or force due to principle, but deep down inside you’re trying not to bust a gut? It was like that.

So, I told you that story just to explain a) that we didn’t bother taking the auto tour, and b) that we took a couple of commemorative photos here just for my parents.

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

Ahem. Moving on.

This was the record for construction at the time.

IMG_9810.jpg

This is a replica of the golden railroad spike. The real one is housed in a museum at Stanford University in California.

IMG_9813.jpg

We watched the short film in the visitor center and then went out back to see the locomotives. As disinterested as I was in the inner workings of railroad companies, trains themselves are fascinating. I believe there’s something in the Y chromosome that makes boys (and men) inexorably drawn to trains for life.

IMG_9817.jpg

I was still a little tired from all of that hiking the day before, so I took advantage of a quiet spot to rest.

IMG_9819.jpg

We got a brief up-close look at the locomotives before they announced that they were going to be moving the trains back into the yard to close out the day (it was around 4:30 p.m. or so).

IMG_9820.jpg

So we moved back to the visitor center and watched the trains go from there.

IMG_9826.jpg

Somebody was fascinated. See what I mean? It’s there from birth, I’m convinced! Here Drew is waving goodbye to the engineers.

IMG_9830.jpg

With that, we decided to get back on the road. On the way out, the rangers asked our kids what they thought. David in particular gave the park a rave review. This isn’t surprising—he’s always loved trains too. In fact, he’s the biggest fan of the Disney World monorail that I know, and insists we ride it whenever we’re at the parks. I have to admit, he doesn’t have to work very hard to convince me.

Anyway, the park ranger gave Dave a fist-bump. He also asked us what we thought, and we gave him a polite thumbs-up. Then he kept pressing and pressing for more, until I finally told him it was the finest Golden Spike site I’d ever seen.

We had to cut him a break. We could see the lonely ranger’s quarters from the parking lot, just a single-story ranch surrounded by wilderness. Julie and I wondered who you had to tick off at the Department of the Interior to get that assignment. But all in all, it was a worthy distraction, if only to watch my boys react to the trains.

A little while later, we had a new state!

IMG_9843.jpg

We spent the evening in Blackfoot, Idaho. I have a friend who lives there and we spent the evening having a cookout with his family in their backyard. It was a great, quiet relaxing time with good people.

I won’t go into detail there, but I do want to point out that we had an unexpected issue with my Priceline room-finding method in Blackfoot. We’d gotten a room at the Super 8 motel for around $60 or so. Obviously, I was happy to save money wherever I could. And even though the Super 8 is bare-bones, that’s all we really need. I just want a clean bed and clean bathroom for the night, and if you have a free breakfast, even better. This checked all of the boxes.

I checked into the motel and took a bag up to the room.

The room only had one queen-size bed. I didn’t think we could fit all six of us on it without someone’s hand ending up between two pillows.

So I went back to the front desk. Luckily, they had an empty room with two beds, and we were able to move there. As it turned out, I hadn’t read the fine print on my reservation. It had said, “room will be assigned at check-in” instead of confirming that there would be 2 beds, which I’m usually good about noticing. I’d missed it here and it nearly caught us. But warning bells started going off in my head—I’d reserved a room at another Super 8 for the following evening.

Well, no sense in worrying about it now.

Coming Up Next: Just your average Idaho lava field.

Actually, I think it was in the 1990's, so cameras weren't quite as prevalent.

Laziness pays dividends.
I thought you'd posted when it happened but was too lazy to go check.
Figured if I posted that, you'd come back with either an assent or a correction.

Worked!

Discovered the fountain of youth, did you? I eat too much bacon to live that long.

Nah. I'm just counting on a full body transplant to a clone or something like that.

Don't forget the Cheetos.

:laughing: The holier than thou kind.

Off to read the update.

Trying to catch up.........again!

It was the Father’s Day we all dream about: sitting in a crowded minivan with the A/C on full blast, munching on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on slightly stale bread and washing it down with warm water. Living the dream!
At least you weren't sitting at home opening a long skinny box bearing a tie.......... :)

We drove back through the park, stopping at a couple of overlooks we’d passed on the way in. You’ll never believe this, but the overlooks in Canyonlands National Park almost always give you a view of canyonlands.
Whoda thunk it??? :rolleyes:

Once Julie saw that I wasn’t going to fall to my death, she took the camera back so we could prove to future generations that we had actually visited this place.
Surprised she didn't wait to actually HAND you the camera to start with.....

We took our time walking back to the car. Along the way, we found that even God Himself couldn’t resist planting a Hidden Mickey in the park.
:thumbsup2

With that, we drove back to Moab and checked into our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express of Moab.
Okay, now I expect some very knowledgeable in-depth insight to either Utah or some of it's surroundings after this........ :rolleyes1

The geology of Arches is unique. Plate tectonics created a fold in the earth’s surface at this location which forced a red sandstone layer to the surface and created most of the unique rock formations in the area. This particular sandstone is susceptible to wind and rain, the primary forces of erosion, and the patterns of weather combine with the geology of the rock to form the arch formations. There are over 2,000 documented arches in the National Park alone, more than half of the total number in the world.
And THERE you go!!! :woohoo:

I think we need to try for that elusive family Christmas card photo.

IMG_9618.jpg
Even without the full ARCH, I think this fits the bill. ::yes::

We planned to take the trail to see Landscape Arch. You can go much further and see many more arches on this trail, but the path becomes much harder once you get past Landscape Arch. The trail guide described our portion of the hike as "Level" and rated it "Easy". Sounded good to me!
Sucker! :rotfl2:

IMG_9769.jpg

As dusk fell, Julie took Drew back to the room to put him to bed for the night. The big kids and I kept swimming. There was a big arch over the pool and at night, they lit a row of gas flames on the top of it. So now we can cross "swim under a flaming arch" off the bucket list. Actually, first we need to write that on the bucket list and then cross it off.

In any case, we were extremely happy with the Holiday Inn Express of Moab. We thought it was worth the splurge to take advantage of the pool. And the cinnamon rolls.
Looks like a great choice! :cheer2:

It started to get cool without the sun (desert air doesn't hold heat well at all), so we moved to the hot tub. And there, to cap off our amazing (dramatic announcer voice) Pizza And Pool Party...

...Scotty Happened.
It was only a matter of time! :rotfl:

Baby Drew stepped forward. Quick as a flash of lightning, he raised his hands, index fingers blazing.

Oh great..........now we have to start saying "Then Drew happened.........." :faint:

The auto tour continued without incident, until we got close to the end. My parents were reading some incredibly vital statistic about the price of iron ore in 1868 when they turned around and saw me in the back seat placing Nilla Wafers over my eyes inside my glasses.
Well, at least now we know they get it honest! :stir:

The room only had one queen-size bed. I didn’t think we could fit all six of us on it without someone’s hand ending up between two pillows.
Not sure whether this brings visions of the Andy Griffith show and the Darlings, or Planes, Trains and Automobiles! :confused3

And then you snuck in an update while I was being snarky!

I can't imagine being ambushed by a toddler! That's got to be pretty funny!

decent burgers, especially considering that they are fast food. Lousy french fries.

The fries are good, only while they're hot. Then they suck.

So, I told you that story just to explain a) that we didn’t bother taking the auto tour, and b) that we took a couple of commemorative photos here just for my parents.

I literally LOL'd at this!

We spent the evening in Blackfoot, Idaho. I have a friend who lives there and we spent the evening having a cookout with his family in their backyard. It was a great, quiet relaxing time with good people.

Great way to spend an evening!

:eek: Glad they fixed it for you!

Loved the tour of all the different arches! Despite the heat, the hiking seemed to be worth it.

Wow, second report in a row I've read tonight with a meal at In 'n' Out!

Aw, Drew is so cute with his innate love of trains!

Glad you got the extra bed this night...not sounding so promising for the next.

Train Don’t Run Out of Wichita—Lessin’ You’re a Hog or a Cattle. People Train Runs Out of Stubbville.

Sadly, it was time to move on from Utah.

But not before we had more cinnamon rolls.

Glad to see you still had your priorities straight.

This was the end. I could feel it in my gut. Or it might have been gas.

You're the Dad... so... gas.

I’d like to point out that I taught him that.

Atta boy. Gotta teach 'em when they're young.

So yes, Baby Drew ambushed total strangers in the hotel. Thankfully, they were the good-humored sort of people and played along with him once they figured out what in the heck he was doing.

We departed the hotel without further incident. Well, except for a total mystery. Somehow, six extra cinnamon rolls found their way into our van.

A miracle!
Parting of the Red Sea!
Raising the dead!
Mysterious appearing cinnamon rolls!
Turning water into wine!

All amazing!

By the time we discovered them, we had traveled too far to turn back. So we were forced to eat them.

It's terrible what one is sometimes forced to do.

Our verdict remains the same: decent burgers, especially considering that they are fast food. Lousy french fries.

Huh! I've heard so many people carrying on about how amazing this chain is.
I'm a bit surprised by your verdict.

Moving on, we made contact with a friend from Delaware who had moved to Salt Lake City a couple of years ago. We managed to meet her and her kids at a mall north of the city and spend a few minutes catching up. Before long, we were back on the road again.

Why do I get the feeling that your meet took about the same length of time it too for me to read that?

but you could at least see a lake. You could also see the salt deposits on the dry ground.

Cool.

No, there is too much. Let me sum up: this is the location of Golden Spike National Historic Site.

Got it. Interesting little diversion.

The meeting location was marked with a golden railroad spike, the last spike driven to complete construction. The railroad was finished in 1869 after six years of work.

I can't see that spike being driven into the tie.
Gold's too soft. It would deform, wouldn't it?

And yes I get that they wouldn't leave it there... since it would be in there just about long enough for anyone with a badge and gun to leave.

Trust me when I say this: to enjoy that auto tour, you need to REALLY be interested in the inner workings and politics of railroad companies in the 1860’s.

So.... not even a little bit.

they turned around and saw me in the back seat placing Nilla Wafers over my eyes inside my glasses.

You know those moments as a parent when you have to make a righteous show of anger or force due to principle, but deep down inside you’re trying not to bust a gut? It was like that.

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

Ahem. Moving on.

:lmao: :rotfl: That's perfect!
Well done!

As disinterested as I was in the inner workings of railroad companies, trains themselves are fascinating.

You and Walt. You're like bros.

I was still a little tired from all of that hiking the day before, so I took advantage of a quiet spot to rest.

IMG_9819.jpg

:laughing: Well, you do look comfortable.

Somebody was fascinated. See what I mean? It’s there from birth, I’m convinced! Here Drew is waving goodbye to the engineers.

Awww...

Then he kept pressing and pressing for more, until I finally told him it was the finest Golden Spike site I’d ever seen.

::yes:: Did he finally go back and leave with a dejected look on his face?

A little while later, we had a new state!

Confusion?

I have a friend who lives there and we spent the evening having a cookout with his family in their backyard. It was a great, quiet relaxing time with good people.

Sounds like a real nice evening.

But warning bells started going off in my head—I’d reserved a room at another Super 8 for the following evening.

Dun, dun, dunnnnn!!!!

[QU:hyper2:OTE="Captain_Oblivious, post: 54691544, member: 217344"]Wow...it appears I was visiting hallowed ground, then. Did this same TA go on to fight forest fires in Oregon?[/QUOTE]

Why, yes! Yes he did. ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Well, it can't be easy learning all these complicated rules on how to baffle your husbands.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/understanding-women-giant-book.jpg

I never thought our BS degrees would actually turn out to be BS!:rotfl:

That's why this time around I went for the A.S. (N) degree. (Acceptable Salary is Nice degree)

Nah. This is much more interesting than the TR. It's what makes the TR's fun!

Agreed!! :hyper2:

Now, onto your commentary on genders and trains: I happened to be a major train geek and would go well out of my way to see some historic trains like that. They are VERY cool and those in particular were very well restored! Were they originals or just replicas? Anyway, loved that!

I was also wondering if any extra pillows happened to mysteriously make their way to your car along with the cinnamon rolls. I'm starting to worry about your stories....

Last edited:
Nice to get on the computer at 5 in the morning and find the DIS open for business. Good Morning!

We departed the hotel without further incident. Well, except for a total mystery. Somehow, six extra cinnamon rolls found their way into our van. By the time we discovered them, we had traveled too far to turn back. So we were forced to eat them.

So, I have to be honest. I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Anaheim in January, and I'm reeeeeeeally hoping they'll have cinnamon rolls. I keep telling myself it will be okay if they don't, but you've gotten me all excited. Especially since I'm not a big breakfast person anyway, so generally live off pastries.

It wasn’t until we left the highway and drove west, north of the lake, that we could see much of it at all. And the view still wasn’t great, but you could at least see a lake. You could also see the salt deposits on the dry ground.

You know, somehow I never quite put together "Salt Lake" until now. But it does make sense.

At this point, you might be asking yourself, “Self, why would they leave the highway? There’s nothing in northern Utah.” And you’d almost be right. The fact is, there is nearly nothing in northern Utah. It’s an utterly barren wasteland. But right in the middle of that barren wasteland is Promontory, Utah.

So from your previous post, I expected this to be home of the salt flats. And expected a post to follow about testing land speed records in the minivan. Not that the golden spike isn't cool, but, you know......salt flats.

When I was a kid, my parents had taken me here, and we did the self-guided auto tour. Trust me when I say this: to enjoy that auto tour, you need to REALLY be interested in the inner workings and politics of railroad companies in the 1860’s. As a kid, I wasn’t all that interested. Truth be told, I wasn’t all that interested as an adult, either. But anyway, we drove from point to point in my youth, and at the appropriate locations my parents would read from the guide about whatever was supposed to have taken place there, or what worker conditions were like, etc. It was obvious that my brother and I weren’t paying attention and my parents were getting more and more frustrated with us. So they yelled a bit at us and we quieted down. The auto tour continued without incident, until we got close to the end. My parents were reading some incredibly vital statistic about the price of iron ore in 1868 when they turned around and saw me in the back seat placing Nilla Wafers over my eyes inside my glasses.

Ladies and gentlemen, every battlefield in the South. Summed up.

This is a replica of the golden railroad spike. The real one is housed in a museum at Stanford University in California.

For a moment I wondered why they didn't leave it in the ground, until I realized, duh, gold. They'd probably have to replace it on a daily basis.

Ah, run of house rooms. Gotta love 'em. My mom did this in the Hilton Indianapolis when we went to run the half marathon there. On the plus side, when we got there they upgraded us to a suite for a VERY good price. The bathroom was as large as some hotel rooms I've seen. And one day there was a grand piano just chillin' in the hallway. I felt swanky.

You need an obnoxious horn on it, too. Just because.
That goes without saying.

And a weed eater motor rigged up to the slightly more beefed up axle you'd have to add anyway to handle the weight of those tires would help with those uphill climbs.

He just keeps earning his free ride on those trails...

Only six? There's more than that in a tray, right?

Not much happened. Let’s fast-forward to lunchtime.
I bet you wish you could have done that with the drive.

"Let's just skip the drive and fast forward to lunch!"

We’d tried this chain for the first time last summer in Phoenix, and figured since we don’t have them on the East Coast, we might as well take advantage of the opportunity to eat there again. Our verdict remains the same: decent burgers, especially considering that they are fast food. Lousy french fries.
At least they're consistent.

When I was a kid, my parents had taken me here, and we did the self-guided auto tour. Trust me when I say this: to enjoy that auto tour, you need to REALLY be interested in the inner workings and politics of railroad companies in the 1860’s. As a kid, I wasn’t all that interested. Truth be told, I wasn’t all that interested as an adult, either.
Well, it could be kind of interesting. I mean there are trains involved. And politics back then can't be as screwed up as they are now.

Right???

So... you drove 30 miles out of the way, just to take a picture of vanilla wafers over your eyes to send to your parents?

You'll go to any length for a decent gag, won't you?

This was the record for construction at the time.
Heck, 10 miles seems pretty impressive to me by today's standards. Even with all the equipment they have now it takes a while. We put in a new rail yard where I work about 3 years ago. It was far less than 10 miles of rail and it took exponentially longer than a day for them to do it!

We watched the short film in the visitor center and then went out back to see the locomotives. As disinterested as I was in the inner workings of railroad companies, trains themselves are fascinating. I believe there’s something in the Y chromosome that makes boys (and men) inexorably drawn to trains for life.
::yes::

And the detour was worthwhile.

I won’t go into detail there, but I do want to point out that we had an unexpected issue with my Priceline room-finding method in Blackfoot. We’d gotten a room at the Super 8 motel for around $60 or so. Obviously, I was happy to save money wherever I could. And even though the Super 8 is bare-bones, that’s all we really need. I just want a clean bed and clean bathroom for the night, and if you have a free breakfast, even better. This checked all of the boxes.
I don't know... I've stayed at a few Super 8's over the years and I'd say with most of them, you're probably lucky to check off 2 out of 3 of those boxes. :rolleyes1

Laziness pays dividends.
I thought you'd posted when it happened but was too lazy to go check.
Figured if I posted that, you'd come back with either an assent or a correction.

Worked!

Man, I walked right into that one! It sounds like something I would do. Well played!

Nah. I'm just counting on a full body transplant to a clone or something like that.

I saw a movie about that once, and I'm pretty sure stuff like that always turns out well.:thumbsup2

:laughing: The holier than thou kind.

Off to read the update.

Now I'm hungry.

Trying to catch up.........again!

Hey Marv! Has it finally stopped raining in SC?

At least you weren't sitting at home opening a long skinny box bearing a tie.......... :)

Well, when you put it that way, this was the best Father's Day ever!

Whoda thunk it??? :rolleyes:

I hope you were sitting down.

Surprised she didn't wait to actually HAND you the camera to start with.....

I always have to keep an eye on her.

Okay, now I expect some very knowledgeable in-depth insight to either Utah or some of it's surroundings after this........ :rolleyes1

Ask and ye shall receive.

And THERE you go!!! :woohoo:

See?

Even without the full ARCH, I think this fits the bill. ::yes::

Not bad...but it would be better with the arch.

:sad2:

Looks like a great choice! :cheer2:

We were very pleased!

It was only a matter of time! :rotfl:

But when it happens, it's totally worth the wait!

Oh great..........now we have to start saying "Then Drew happened.........." :faint:

It sure looks that way, doesn't it?

Well, at least now we know they get it honest! :stir:

:rolleyes1

Not sure whether this brings visions of the Andy Griffith show and the Darlings, or Planes, Trains and Automobiles! :confused3

I'm guessing the latter.

And then you snuck in an update while I was being snarky!

The ultimate ninja post!

I can't imagine being ambushed by a toddler! That's got to be pretty funny!

Thankfully, it was funny to the other people instead of being annoying!

The fries are good, only while they're hot. Then they suck.

They don't last long in the "good" stage. And McDonald's fries also lose their appeal the older they get, but I think they're still the king of fast food fries.

I literally LOL'd at this!

Hey, at least I amuse somebody!:rotfl2:

Great way to spend an evening!

You could do much worse.

:eek: Glad they fixed it for you!

Me too, because those kids would have hated having to all be on the floor at once.

Loved the tour of all the different arches! Despite the heat, the hiking seemed to be worth it.

I think it was. You have to be willing to make the effort to see these sights. If you're in Utah in the summer, it will be hot, so you have to just plan accordingly.

Wow, second report in a row I've read tonight with a meal at In 'n' Out!

I guess it's the thing to do!

Aw, Drew is so cute with his innate love of trains!

He was so excited!

Glad you got the extra bed this night...not sounding so promising for the next.

:crowded:

Glad to see you still had your priorities straight.

Priorities:
1. Food.
2. Everything else.

You're the Dad... so... gas.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Hey, pull my finger!

Atta boy. Gotta teach 'em when they're young.

:thumbsup2

A miracle!
Parting of the Red Sea!
Raising the dead!
Mysterious appearing cinnamon rolls!
Turning water into wine!

All amazing!

And all welcome! Well, unless the dead turn out to be zombies. And I'm not a wine drinker. The Red Sea is all the way on the other side of the world...

Well, better eat more cinnamon rolls.

It's terrible what one is sometimes forced to do.

And yet we persevere through adversity, in order to set an example for our children to follow.

Huh! I've heard so many people carrying on about how amazing this chain is.
I'm a bit surprised by your verdict.

Well, that was the problem for me. I think it had been overhyped so that by the time I actually tried it, I was expecting an experience to redefine my understanding of the cheeseburger itself. Instead, manage your expectations. It's good for fast food.

Why do I get the feeling that your meet took about the same length of time it too for me to read that?

We're not that heartless. We hung out long enough to see a fountain show at the mall. It was like a mini-version of the Bellagio show in Las Vegas. Supposedly built by the same fountain show designer guy.

Got it. Interesting little diversion.

It is an important piece of history. I can't deny that.

I can't see that spike being driven into the tie.
Gold's too soft. It would deform, wouldn't it?

And yes I get that they wouldn't leave it there... since it would be in there just about long enough for anyone with a badge and gun to leave.

I'm sure it would deform, so I'm not sure how carefully it was placed.

So.... not even a little bit.

Pretty much.

:lmao: :rotfl: That's perfect!
Well done!

Thank you, sir!

You and Walt. You're like bros.

Well, I hope so. I've given him plenty of money over the years.

:laughing: Well, you do look comfortable.

Too much hiking.

::yes:: Did he finally go back and leave with a dejected look on his face?

He did look a little taken aback. "I think we just got insulted!"

Actually, it was more of a backhanded compliment.

Confusion?

No, that's our perpetual state.

Sounds like a real nice evening.

And indeed it was!

Dun, dun, dunnnnn!!!!

Did I lay on that foreshadowing a little thick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter