Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Wow! You make that sound awesome!!

The power of language. I wasn't even trying!

Please? Just one more time?
For ol' times sake?

Scotty: The Super 8 is NOT super.

Oh. My. God.
I speak french. Never thought much of that range's name since the pronounciation is completely different.
But the instant I read "given its name by early 19th century French-speaking..." my jaw dropped.

Honestly, when you think about it, it took some guts to keep that name. Right there in the open.

Secondary word: phil.

Who's Phil?

Huh. That's really interesting.

There were more shenanigans involved as the government started to try and back out of the deal, but it eventually got done.

But maybe you could've added in your own thrill by making it into a bumper cars ride?

Don't think it didn't cross my mind!

:laughing: Makes sense, actually.

It goes back to that National Park rule about looking for large groups of people pulled over on the side of the road.

::yes:: So many awesome photos in this update. Really.

Thank you, sir!:goodvibes

Sorry. The first thing that popped into my mind: "A dingo ate my baby."

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That's why I kept the baby in the car.

Man. You sure know how to pick 'em.

Wanna know my secret? I look for "National Parks". I figure there must be something noteworthy there.

It is! I love it when they make what could be a dull building into something eye-catching.

Me too!

Yep.
Reminds me of the scene from Nat'l Lampoon Vacation just after Chevy Chase robs the till.

Yep. Mm-hmm. Ok, let's go!

Whoops! Sorry about that.
How's this?

No. Nevermind. That's probably worse.

Man, that gave me chills.

Then again, they could have a big guy named "Moose" who'd come and eat his dinner.

Never thought of it that way! We would have had egg on our faces, for sure.

No! That's hysterical!

Gotta love a good prank! You never hear the end of it.

Oh, just more beauty.

Yawn.

Cool. What would be even more awesome would be horseback rides where part of it would be taking the ferry.
Or even horse drawn wagon rides.

Yes! I'd totally sign up for that. I did do a float trip down the Snake River in this park once. That was pretty cool.

Is there anything else on the other side other than trails to merit the ferry?

I think there's a pizza place and a lodge/chuckwagon like the one we had experienced over there.

I was just thinking that you could probably drink right out of that lake.

It definitely looked like it. I didn't try it. But I thought about it.

I love building in excuses to go back to places I want to see again.

Definitely! I'll pretty much take any excuse to come back here.

:goodvibes Cute pic!

:thanks:

Wasn't it cold?

"Figuratively" soaked?

There. That wasn't so hard, was it?

I dunno. I just punch the keyboard and then see what pops up on the screen.

Whoever took that pic for you knows how to frame a photo.

Yes! About time. Just needs a little cropping, and we're good.:thumbsup2

You wouldn't have to stretch your legs if you'd done that five mile hike.

I wouldn't have any legs. They would have fallen off.

I dunno. I've never had a milk shake with real gold in it.

I'm guessing it would be kinda crunchy.

Love overlooks. It's like someone saying "Here! Right here! Pretty!"

Exactly! "Hey dummy, pull over!"

Nothing that clearcut logging wouldn't cure!

What?

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Hey! How dare you use a literary hook to keep us interested!

Sorry. I have to use a mix of highbrow and lowbrow to keep anybody interested. The next chapter will be nothing but fart jokes.

Kay made me buy kale (for the first time ever) the other day.
She said she had a recipe for kale chips.

I don't know if it turned out okay. I thought it stank so didn't try it.
She wasn't offended. She said it tasted lousy, too.

And thus ended the great pkondz house kale experiment of 2015.

:rotfl2: And yet, that's even farther than the kale experiment went in my own home. It didn't even make it to my home.

Check this out if you have the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcI7jgkwdCM

:laughing: I'm sure he appreciated that.

Well, yeah. He was probably thrilled I was thinking of him.

I'm positive I would've picked the same.

How many chances do you get to eat a bison burger?

No. Not something like that. That's it exactly.

Well, then. Good thing I ordered it.

Bambi's, left side, about 3/4s of the way up.

There are buffalo.
But in zoos.
Wanna see them in the wild???????
Go to Africa.

Oh, all right. If you insist.

:sad2: People don't get that wild animals are actually wild.

I am continually amazed at the dumb things people will do. Doesn't matter how many times you warn them.

::yes::

Oh, BOY!!!!!

::yes::::yes::

Where? Behind the ducks???

Um...

Close... Verrrrry close.

not.

Well, at least the mountains are pretty.

Grand Teton National Park was founded in 1929. The Teton mountain range was given its name by early 19th century French-speaking fur trappers who were both imaginative and extremely lonely, calling the mountains “Le Trois Tetons”, or The Three…um…Bosoms.

Ok, now either the guys couldn't count or I'm just not seein' it, because I see a lot more than three, um, er, tetons.

Grand Teton National Park took another fifty years to officially be placed on the map. Its creation was actually very similar to that of Walt Disney World in Florida.

Interesting fact.

But first, we had to get there. Unbeknownst to us, a 1930’s car club had chosen this date to meet in Jackson and drive as a group through the national park.

Now see this is where we differ. We would have changed our plans to check out all the cars. But then again, your kids were probably not all that interested.

Here we found a barn that has been made famous over the years after being featured in photos of the Teton area. We got our own version of the picture. It might be a cliché by now, but it’s one of my favorite photos of the entire vacation. This area is just stunning in its beauty.

Very nice picture!

We entered the park and stopped at the visitor center, which we thought was a unique enough structure to merit a photo:

After googling the architect now I understand why you didn't bother to cite him, besides spelling the name correctly, never heard of him.

Seeing as the car club was now here in the parking lot, we hustled out the door so we’d get ahead of them on the roads.

OK, at least you got a photo of them. But they were probably there for a while to admire each other's vehicles. Believe me, I know how these things go.

One of the most popular hikes in the park is on the far side of the lake and goes to a fairly large waterfall called Hidden Falls. However, you either have to hike 5 miles roundtrip from the visitor center to see it or take the boat across the lake. We had debated it, but the boat would have cost our family around $60 and there was no way I was going to hold up for 5 miles with that infernal backpack weighing me down. So in the end we decided against the hike, not without some regret. I guess we’ll have to come back.

Well there you go, a reason to come back!

We…ah, let’s just say we liked the purty places.

Nice framing on the picture. Finally.

At this bridge, if the water is calm enough, you can see Mt. Moran…and a pretty sweet reflection.

That's really cool!

Years ago, I remembered stopping here with my parents and getting milkshakes from the snack bar while enjoying the view out the massive picture windows of the lobby. We thought about doing something similar, but not at $7 a pop.

And that's without alcohol?????

We circled back into the park entrance and headed to Menor’s Ferry again, where the kids could do a Junior Ranger program and finish off their badge requirements. This turned out to be a blessing, because our kids were the only ones there, so they got a private ranger talk. This is where we learned the story about the park’s history that I related to Disney World in a shameless attempt to keep you interested earlier.

Wherever you get your information, as long it makes the story interesting that's OK by me.

This was Wyoming, and they had a bison burger on the menu. As they say…When in Wyoming, eat the buffalo.

Sounds good to me!

They say buffalo meat is actually leaner than beef and offers a different flavor, but I have to confess: I couldn’t tell the difference.

I've never had a bison burger, only steaks. Perhaps it's easier to tell when it is not ground up. Either way, it's yummy. And I like my bison just barely coming near the heat as well! :rotfl2:

No selfie is worth your life.

Did you hear the statistic about more tourists dying last year (or was it this year) from selfies than shark attacks?

We were moving on to the next park…and a much more spectacular place to stay.

I think I have a guess about this one.... :rolleyes1

Scotty: The Super 8 is NOT super.

Well said!

Honestly, when you think about it, it took some guts to keep that name. Right there in the open.

I couldn't believe it! Never in my wildest dreams did I think it was from the French.
And even if I had made the connection, it would be along the lines of:
"Heh. Tetons... you know what that is in French? But I wonder where the name really came from?"

Who's Phil?

Silvers.

Wanna know my secret? I look for "National Parks". I figure there must be something noteworthy there.

You know, I know you're kidding, but. You're absolutely right. I think people forget what's actually out there. There's a reason this place is being preserved, folks!

Yep. Mm-hmm. Ok, let's go!

That scene kills me every time. Just the way he bobs his head. :lmao:

Yes! I'd totally sign up for that. I did do a float trip down the Snake River in this park once. That was pretty cool.

Cool! On a raft? Innertube? What?

I dunno. I just punch the keyboard and then see what pops up on the screen.

You too?

I wouldn't have any legs. They would have fallen off.

Well, then you wouldn't have to stretch them, see?

I'm guessing it would be kinda crunchy.

Nope. I've actually had Goldschläger. You don't even notice it.

The next chapter will be nothing but fart jokes.

You had me at "fart".

I did! :rotfl:

How many chances do you get to eat a bison burger?

Uh.... So if I go down the street and by some to throw on the BBQ tomorrow, you'll be upset?

I am continually amazed at the dumb things people will do. Doesn't matter how many times you warn them.

I call it evolution in action.

Hey, that's better than the last time I stayed at a Super 8. There was no microwave. They did have a toaster. So my options were stale cereal or moldy bagels.

Well, you could have toasted the cereal.

You've been out west for too long. It is affecting your sense of flatness. There is nothing in that part of the country that is Delaware flat.

Hey, we had enough elevation change to be able to find some sledding hills when I was a kid in Delaware. So it wasn't--wait, I think those were man-made.

I know. Poor Drew just can't go anywhere without being hounded them.

Especially in Japan.

I love it!

:thumbsup2

Hey kids! See that 10 foot tall jagged rock that you're standing right next to? Wanna guess how that got there?

Wanna know how I got these scars?

It's vacation and Julie and Sarah are having fun. Does there need to be a point?

No, that would set a bad precedent.

I approve. I mean, it is kind of a unique thing, so you have to try it. And yeah, ice cream!!

Not much we won't do for ice cream.

Just like the pioneers. Or at least the disoriented, navigationally challenged pioneers. Considering Wyoming is East of Idaho. :rolleyes1

Shut up, Andy.

You're right. They're not worth $300 per night. Unless your alternative is another Super 8.

Good thing we--D'oh!

:sad2: Live and learn.

Yeah, sometimes that deal is a little too good to be true.

I approve.

That's a relief.

Seems like a valid point to me!

Definitely a good deal of logic there.

Clearly they know what they're doing.

It seems to be working, they really pack the crowds in.

Awesome! I tend to be kind of leery of these "tourist trap dinner shows" just because I've seen some that could be put to shame by an elementary school music program. But some of them really do have some impressive talent and make it worthwhile. I'm glad to hear that this was one of those.

Yeah, I don't think we would have tried this if our friends hadn't recommended it to us. Good word of mouth always helps.

Clearly they knew their audience.

Hey! I only go for jokes of the highest caliber. Now pull my finger.

Sounds like a winner to me!

It was!

Well, at least you had a good dinner the night before. So there's that.

Like I said: win some, lose some.

So, you're saying guys are guys and some things never change?

Um...yeah, pretty much.

:faint: Left lane. Hammer down.

I tried whenever I could get the chance!

And you (ok, Julie) really did an awesome job. Fantastic photos!

Thank you, sir.:goodvibes

Bang!

Oh wait, National Park. That would probably be frowned upon. Never like to see coyotes so unafraid of people.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Between your hunting and @pkondz 's clear-cut logging, we'll have this park back in shape in no time.

That certainly is an interesting building.

I like it when they try to make something memorable, instead of just a basic cinder-block functional building. This fits in the park better.

Hey, I can't blame you! If you'd been stuck behind all those cars, you'd probably still only be halfway through the park today.

Of course, then I wouldn't be at work, so maybe I messed this up.

You are good at words. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Thanks! I talk English good.

Beautiful!

Because they finally realized they had no competition.

The downside of supply and demand.

Exactly! If you didn't get it, that would be like going to a cattle ranch and ordering chicken! I mean, who would do something like that? :confused3 :rotfl:

You'd have to be a moron!

And I thought you were a burger connoisseur!
I've had bison several times... I can tell a difference. It is definitely subtle though. But I'll take your inability to distinguish the fact that it is bison to mean that they did an awesome job with the burger. The "leanness" of bison can kind of hurt the flavor at times or the burger might be a little bit on the crumbly side. I'd say you got a well cooked burger.

Or they just ran out of bison and figured they could pull one over on @Captain_Oblivious

Well, I've never claimed to have the most discriminating palate. Which is why I end up eating at burger joints. But all I can do is report what I experienced, and it tasted like a burger to me. A good one, too.

And this line is why I made sure to use bison above ^^^ :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I'll still use buffalo, I'm sure. Hard to change old habits.

You know... if you're stupid enough to try it... :sad2:

Yeah, there's definitely Darwin Awards potential there. But I just hate blatant stupidity.

I'm sorry that it let you down in the wildlife department, but it does look like a beautiful spot to just hang around for a while. Even if you didn't see a moose or an eagle, I'm sure it was time well spent.

You could definitely do worse. Except for the mosquitoes.

Sometimes you don't see them for days, and sometimes they're out there as thick as curls on a…

(Ya’ know… I do believe that we’ll stop right there; family board n’ all)

You have chosen...wisely.

And the smell of petrol in the morning would have been the highlight of that stint at the inn.

I love the smell of petrol in the morning.

While you had access to the gas, you sould’a made them up a nice little Molotov going away gift.
(But then again, the local authorities might have frowned on such.)

Spoilsports. Still, at least these guys didn't charge me for a phantom pillow.

Keep swinging for the fences. Anything would be an improvement on the proceeding thus far.

We'll see how we do.

05300d190f01eab72dc55c9f8c2af41e-gif-of-the-day-darth-vaders-dinger.gif

I agree with Andy, this one is a classic.

Nice bit of analysis, there. In its own way it sort’a goes well with your chapter’s opening quote…
or the second half of it at least.

Actually, that story is one I knew, but it still makes the twelve-year-old in me snicker just a bit.

Well, sure! That's why I had to make sure I included it.

This story, however, is one I’ve not heard.
Interesting… very interesting.

It was pretty cool. The park ranger didn't know about how Disney acquired the land for Disney World in Orlando, so it was fun to compare the stories.

I’d have never guessed that about the folks in that local.

Hope you were sitting down.

And considering that key word, I’m honestly surprised he actually donated the land once he’d gotten control of it. Very surprised indeed.

Well, we always have to be careful about stereotypes. Some people who are blessed with riches actually do use them for the greater good from time to time. Sometimes they're greedy. And sometimes they're both at various points in their lifetimes. People are messy!

And you know how we all live for that center rail bump.
Talk about sucking every drop of fun out of something…

Speak for yourself, I live to fly around the hairpin curves at 7 mph while breathing diesel fumes.

mormon_back3.png

Wrong row?

Eh, close enough.:rotfl2:

Yep… That’s not the row that first came to mind.
I’d be more inclined to answer the door for that view.

Works for me!

Looks like she was about the only person that saw it.
The critter don’t look too overly concerned about the fauna invading its domain.
Apparently coyote don’t rank tourists particularly high on either the cunning or threat scales.

Maybe he was full from an early breakfast.

Do believe there are a whole lot more cliché bits of imagery being produced (mostly as selfies)
I certainly don’t have that picture in my family album.

Sounds like a situation that needs to be rectified...

There’s them there curls

Careful!

Agreed…
Were there any stories about the design choice?

Not that I knew of. I'm just glad they made the effort to produce something unique.

I can see the logic.
Having a 17mph pace forcibly imposed on one would be supremely frustrating when one truly wishes to be traveling at a much more civilized and jauntier 23 miles per.

(with no one in front of you)

I think that last statement is the key.

Sorry…
I was actually lookin’ at some of those sweet rides out in the parking lot.
You mind stepping out of the way, there; much appreciated.

Excuse me, my mistake.

Sure beat’s my plan for this day…

We tried not to over-think it. Which is usually not a problem.

And those family jokes are the best kind.
The rest of the world may be scratchin’ their collective noggins, but they just makes those in the know bust out.

Exactly.

Contemplative indeed…

:scratchin

OK, am I the only one who can’t help but immediately conjure up the image of a “Missouri Boat Ride” from reading this little bit here?

“Whooped ‘em again, Josey!”

Sadly... I haven't seen it.

Just not quite like the one I’m thinkin’ of here, I s’pect.

I'm guessing no.

Nice picture of you and drew, by the way (matchin’ plaid and all).
Now, which one of ya’ is actually walkin’ the other, there?

Thank you, sir. And I always follow his lead. Until I crash into something.

And it’s still an understatement as well.

Bonus info for you to ignore time:
The lake is named for one Jenny Leigh, the wife of a prominent guide and trapper from the area.

Leigh Lake just to the north is named for the trapper in question.
And it’s probably a good thing that they chose to use Richard “Beaver Dick” Leigh’s last name rather than his more common moniker as the place holder for that particular bit o’ scenery, don’t you think?

(Hay, just facts straight from the NPS site… I didn’t even have to make that one up.)

I blame Super 8 for lots of stuff.
I think you should blame them for anything that goes awry on the remainder if the trip and on into the next TR as well. Heck, you might as well just start referring to any catastrophe as being a “Super 8”.

I like this idea! If we can get someone to second it, we'll go ahead and proclaim in a Man Law.

Quite the dilemma there, but infernal back packs are a valid reason for discretion.
You’d have gotten half way out there and found yourself smack in the midst of a Super 8 Moment.

No one wants another Super 8.

Hey, it works!

We all need to go back there,
Even if it will be one’s first time, we all need to go back.

Well said.

Don’t know…
He might also have enjoyed seeing Daddy suffer a bit.
Kids see humor in such.

You don't say...

Y’all aren’t quit as absorbent as a roll of Brawny, I take it.

I didn't want to find out! That water's cold.

And that is a right purty spot, there.

Oh, and in answer to Scotty’s question…
Ships (or any other large engineered structure that moves rapidly), Space related anything, History, Star Wars and Marching Bands… Oh yeah, and Disney of course.

Now, I wouldn't have guessed any of that about you.;)

Oooooooo, nice one…
Compliments to the random stand-in photographer.
Just whack mister intrusive there on the right out of the shot and it might even be Crimma Card Purty

I agree! Good thing it's easy to crop photos these days.

Could’a stopped at the local grocery and bought a box of Nutty Bubby’s for a couple bucks and recreated the moment on the cheap

(and before any of you Smart-alecks say anything, I’m talkin’ about the ice cream cones, not that other device which has laid clime to the same marketing name… and y’all know who you are, too. Sheese!... get them minds out the gutter.)

I'm going to claim ignorance here, and go on believing that in this case, ignorance is bliss.

One on one time with a teacher is always a win.

Unless it's this guy:

rbk-12-ferris-buellers-day-off-the-economics-teacher-de.jpg

Shameless?
Ehhh… you’re in good company on that account.

At least I'm honest about it.

How many of them “Stinkin’ Badges” have they collected up over time?
You might want to consider mounting them as a collection some time. I guarantee you, that would be an uncommon display and a great starter of conversations as they get older.

Wait! Did you say dinner?
“Never mind, that ****, Mongo’s coming!”…. Errr… I mean: what’s on the menu?

We were just working on some cork-board displays with the other kids. They put their Disney pins there and I suggested the park badges as well. Looks like they've earned 9 over the last 2 summers, plus a patch at one or two others. They all had badges from Kitty Hawk a few years ago, but sadly those seem to be lost.

I use that one quite a bit!

Seems like that one is sparking a couple dead cells in my withered brain as well…
Do continue.

Careful, don't stand around any dry brush or timber.

So in this region, governance is an abomination but vandalism is encouraged…
Should’a gone back and thrown that Molotov I suggested at the Super 8 then.

Dang it! Missed opportunity.

The Carnivores Creed.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…
My brother would’a done the same.

But then again, if the stuff was worth a dang, I’d have to try it just out’a spite.

I'm surprised @afwdwfan didn't jump all over that one.

Pretty sure even the state’s flag is devoted to this sentiment.
Or something like that.

Sure, we'll go with that.

it’s a very subtle difference if any.
Over cook it, even a little bit, and you’ll notice a difference though.
The words shoe and leather come to mind in that instance.

Gotcha. I'm glad I avoided that experience.

That’s a lot of bone.
I’d like to think those were mostly collected rather than harvested…
paints a better mental image.

Sure, we'll go with that.

Looks like them ‘Purple Mountains’ everyone’s always on about in that there song.

But that was Pikes Peak! Still, I guess it applies here too.

You nor anyone else.
“North American Bison Bill Cody” just ain’t gonn’a cut it with the masses.

Agreed.

Or you may find yourself singing the State Farm jingle for reals.

:scared1:

Isn’t it a mite redundant to write both the words idiot and selfie in the same sentence?

Yes, probably. But we've already established that I work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Do the selfie obsessed actually have lives?

:confused3

“Seen one gorgeous landscape… seen ‘em all.”

Not even three and already you’ve spoiled him for the regular day to day life of the rest of us.

Now we just have to top this!

Almost…

Wait, was that a pelican?
Surely not, must have been a stork or a crane.
What would a pelican be doin’ in Wyoming? (and don’t call him Shirley)

I'm guessing a crane, but I am fairly ornithologically challenged.

Really don’t see how any part of this day could be counted up as a loss.
(once you’d left the Super 8 that is)

Agreed.

OK, that’s not what you’d call a win per say, but still…

It was a nice view.

But you did see one.

Better than nothing!

Gotta give you a reason to come back!

Thank you.

I can never see this gif too many times.

Ok, now either the guys couldn't count or I'm just not seein' it, because I see a lot more than three, um, er, tetons.

Get your mind out of the gutter!:rotfl2:

Actually, I think they focused on the three highest, er, peaks.

Now see this is where we differ. We would have changed our plans to check out all the cars. But then again, your kids were probably not all that interested.

Well, it's all a matter of available time. We only had one day to see the park, so that's where the priority was.

Very nice picture!

:thanks:

After googling the architect now I understand why you didn't bother to cite him, besides spelling the name correctly, never heard of him.

Well, at least I pointed out his work.

OK, at least you got a photo of them. But they were probably there for a while to admire each other's vehicles. Believe me, I know how these things go.

Gotcha. And I totally get why you'd be interested.

Well there you go, a reason to come back!

Exactly!

Nice framing on the picture. Finally.

Amen! Took long enough.

That's really cool!

And that's without alcohol?????

I know, right? It ought to come with a TV in it or something.

Wherever you get your information, as long it makes the story interesting that's OK by me.

Whew! As long as you don't find it's boring, that's ok by me!

I've never had a bison burger, only steaks. Perhaps it's easier to tell when it is not ground up. Either way, it's yummy. And I like my bison just barely coming near the heat as well! :rotfl2:

Still mooing, perhaps? Or whatever it is that bison do. Anyway, I did enjoy it.

Did you hear the statistic about more tourists dying last year (or was it this year) from selfies than shark attacks?

You know, I think I did hear about that one!

I think I have a guess about this one.... :rolleyes1

You cheated and saw the photos on FB, didn't you?:rolleyes1

I couldn't believe it! Never in my wildest dreams did I think it was from the French.
And even if I had made the connection, it would be along the lines of:
"Heh. Tetons... you know what that is in French? But I wonder where the name really came from?"

I guess sometimes we give our elders a little more respect than we should!

Not Punxsatawney?

You know, I know you're kidding, but. You're absolutely right. I think people forget what's actually out there. There's a reason this place is being preserved, folks!

Well, only half-kidding. It's very rare for me to visit a site run by our National Parks Service that wasn't worth the time.

That scene kills me every time. Just the way he bobs his head. :lmao:

That movie's a classic! "Poor little fella...probably kept up with you for the first mile or so..."

Cool! On a raft? Innertube? What?

We took a raft with a couple of other families. The guide was great, really quick-witted. He was pointing out wildlife, and at one point an airplane flew overhead. My brother, being a smart-aleck, asked what kind of bird it was. Without missing a beat, he said, "That's a Teton Pterodactyl." :rotfl2:

I need to stop giving away our secrets.

Well, then you wouldn't have to stretch them, see?

Well, yes...

Nope. I've actually had Goldschläger. You don't even notice it.

I've never heard of that before. Not sure how I'd feel about swallowing flakes of gold.

You had me at "fart".

I knew I liked you!:thumbsup2

"They could find out kale cures cancer, and I'd be like, 'I'm just going to do the chemo.'":rotfl:

Uh.... So if I go down the street and by some to throw on the BBQ tomorrow, you'll be upset?

Nah. It's just not a common item on menus around me, that's all.

I call it evolution in action.

Well, there is that.

A public service is what we are.

Yes! Forward thinkers!

Hunting???

Oh, I'm not a hunter.

We're talking about coyotes here.

I was thinking more along the lines of extermination. :rotfl2:

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

::yes:: Just making your National Park visit safer and more enjoyable!

Absolutely. We can keep that pesky "nature" out of the way.

Not Punxsatawney?

Maybe a weatherman?

That movie's a classic! "Poor little fella...probably kept up with you for the first mile or so..."

I bought a copy of it the other day. Kay loved the latest version and wants to see it.
She's also quite the animal lover, so I'm curious to see her reaction to that scene.

We took a raft with a couple of other families. The guide was great, really quick-witted. He was pointing out wildlife, and at one point an airplane flew overhead. My brother, being a smart-aleck, asked what kind of bird it was. Without missing a beat, he said, "That's a Teton Pterodactyl." :rotfl2:

:laughing:

I've never heard of that before. Not sure how I'd feel about swallowing flakes of gold.

Probably was supposed to be "good for you" at some point.
Now it's just a gimmick.

"They could find out kale cures cancer, and I'd be like, 'I'm just going to do the chemo.'":rotfl:

::yes:: :lmao:

Finally all caught up. I was about 8 pages behind but no more.
So many wonderful Arches, trails, hot temperatures and fun pools. So sorry that the Super 8 was so NOT, but it was and I am glad all of you survived.

Your anniversary dinner looked interesting and a lot of fun. I have heard the Rindacella routine from different venues, one being our Renaissance Festival. Nice to have some brain twisting laugh out loud fun.

Drew is really being the sponge with his ambush pistols.

The HIE cinnamon rolls are a great excuse to splurge- especially since you knew the Super 8 was around the corner. :rotfl2:

Looking forward to more adventures as I try to keep up around here.

I am horribly not up to date!!! I purposely did not read your thread until I had time to read it properly and comment on it! So, finally I find some time to exactly do that! And what a treat it is!! So many stunning pictures!

It was almost a mile to Landscape Arch. It wasn't far before we hit the first hill to climb. It was on this trail that we learned the difference between Delaware and Utah. In Delaware, "level" means flat. In Utah, "level" apparently means "the net gain in elevation is roughly zero." There were still plenty of hills to climb and difficult downhill slopes to manage with a stroller. But hey, at least we were already exhausted from the morning hike. And it was getting hotter.

The German meaning for "level" would be the same as the Delawarean! Sorry that they tricked you there!

Landscape Arch is a very long, thin arch, making it one of the older formations in the park. You used to be able to walk up underneath it, but in 1991 a 60-foot long section of it collapsed. Suddenly it didn't seem like such a good idea to let visitors walk under it anymore. Sadly, every arch eventually will collapse. Such is the unforgiving nature of erosion. So, if you want to see these magnificent formations, you'd better get out here! You never know when another one will disappear. Park rangers currently think either Landscape Arch or Delicate Arch (no!) will be the next one to fall.

If not through all those beautiful pictures, this really makes me want to put a trip to Arches on the list for the next years!! I don't want to miss out on all that beauty and just see stones lying on the ground!!

Early afternoon: hottest part of the day. Sounds like it's time for some more hiking!

Well, by now you got acclimated to the heat, so it certainly wasn't so bad!! ;)

This is a fantastic picture and in my opinion far more impressive because of the distance to the arch!

We did the math and discovered that in total, our family had hiked over 6 miles that day in the blazing sun and heat. At that point I might have even been more excited about a pizza and pool party than Scotty was. Heck, just walking into the hotel room and collapsing sounded pretty awesome right about then.

Wow, what an achievement! But I think this is a good indicator as to how fantastic the landscape is that it can motivate a family to hike 6 miles through the sunshine!!

...Scotty Happened.

IMG_9765.jpg

:rotfl:

Maybe a weatherman?

+1:thumbsup2

I bought a copy of it the other day. Kay loved the latest version and wants to see it.
She's also quite the animal lover, so I'm curious to see her reaction to that scene.

So did you get to watch over the weekend? Now I'm curious, too.

Probably was supposed to be "good for you" at some point.
Now it's just a gimmick.

Just like most things that are "good for you". Like kale.

Finally all caught up. I was about 8 pages behind but no more.

Welcome back Pat! Good to hear from you.

So many wonderful Arches, trails, hot temperatures and fun pools. So sorry that the Super 8 was so NOT, but it was and I am glad all of you survived.

The low points just help you appreciate the high points.

Your anniversary dinner looked interesting and a lot of fun. I have heard the Rindacella routine from different venues, one being our Renaissance Festival. Nice to have some brain twisting laugh out loud fun.

I was really impressed by the guy's ability to deliver the story without stumbling.

Drew is really being the sponge with his ambush pistols.

You have to be careful how you act around him!
The HIE cinnamon rolls are a great excuse to splurge- especially since you knew the Super 8 was around the corner. :rotfl2:

Well, we weren't sure Super 8 would be THAT bad. But it really made the HIE look good!

Looking forward to more adventures as I try to keep up around here.

It'll be great to have you back in the conversation!

I am horribly not up to date!!! I purposely did not read your thread until I had time to read it properly and comment on it! So, finally I find some time to exactly do that! And what a treat it is!! So many stunning pictures!

Welcome back Magdalene! Glad to have you back commenting again.

The German meaning for "level" would be the same as the Delawarean! Sorry that they tricked you there!

Oh good, so I'm not a wimp!:rotfl:

If not through all those beautiful pictures, this really makes me want to put a trip to Arches on the list for the next years!! I don't want to miss out on all that beauty and just see stones lying on the ground!!

I hope you do get to see it! It's a pretty special National Park.

Well, by now you got acclimated to the heat, so it certainly wasn't so bad!! ;)

Um...sure. Let's go with that.

This is a fantastic picture and in my opinion far more impressive because of the distance to the arch!

Thanks! You can actually walk right up to that arch and explore as well. We were just too tired to do so.

Wow, what an achievement! But I think this is a good indicator as to how fantastic the landscape is that it can motivate a family to hike 6 miles through the sunshine!!

I agree! It was a long, tough, hot day. But I think it was worth the effort. The kids have said that Arches is one of their favorite parks they visited. And they do a great job of working hard without complaining.

This is the kind of day that makes us roll our eyes a bit when we hear other families say they have to stay home and can't travel due to a baby. You can do anything if you plan it well!

So did you get to watch over the weekend? Now I'm curious, too.

No. No timeline on when we'll watch it.
We first have to finish The Blues Brothers (about 15 minutes to go).
She got really excited with the "Minnie the Moocher" Cab Calloway part since she'd played that last year in band.

Just like most things that are "good for you". Like kale.

I'll let kale be "good for someone else".

Wait? Are you doing something online while watching a movie? Errrr....sorry wrong thread.

Nice try. I'm at work and she's at home.
Where, if we were watching it... I'd be doing nothing else.

pbbbbttt!!!!

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm still reading along. It's just been so busy that I haven't had time to comment...until now...and I've forgotten what I wanted to say. Guess I'll settle for great pictures and gorgeous views!:rolleyes:

Baby Drew stepped forward. Quick as a flash of lightning, he raised his hands, index fingers blazing.

Pchew! Pchew! Pchew!” he shouted. And just like that, the threat was no more.

How adorable is this?!:rotfl2:Let me tell you, how a few days ago DS AND I got in trouble with DH for doing this to each other. DH is 100% against making any type of 'gun' shapes with our hands or even having play guns, with everything going on in todays world. :sad2:

Our verdict remains the same: decent burgers, especially considering that they are fast food. Lousy french fries.

And my verdict remains the same: You're crazy :jester:

:rotfl2::rotfl:

Ok, I know from experience none of you are buying that story. And really, the most photogenic person there was Baby Drew. This reporter was doing a series on things to see in Idaho and asking for some people to give some quotes on camera, so I obliged him. I even found the story online later, and I think I managed to come off sounding reasonably intelligent.

YES! Now you have some video footage of your trip you can archive, how perfect! :hyper:

Actually, the square ice cream makes it look like you got shorted some. What about the ice cream that goes over the side of the cone?! :confused3 Yep, they're making bank.

:rotfl:

This reminds me of my 'Hungover Santa' that I put outside during Christmas. The only part of the Santa that got rusted is just below his mouth so it looks like he threw up all over himself, hence the name 'Hungover'. I was forced to paint it this year. Gah, DH is such a debbie downer :lmao:

Then we went through the line and were served a baked potato, beans, applesauce, cornbread, and a piece of spice cake for dessert. They even instructed us to make sure we spun the plate to hold it under the applesauce because the other portions would get too hot to handle once served.

Wow they got everything nailed there.

And for the piece that really put it over the top? Corny jokes. All. Night. Long.

And you loved it. ::yes::

These are gorgeous!

But this is my fav :cloud9:

No. No timeline on when we'll watch it.
We first have to finish The Blues Brothers (about 15 minutes to go).
She got really excited with the "Minnie the Moocher" Cab Calloway part since she'd played that last year in band.

Cool! I've found that sharing my favorite movies with my kids is one of my favorite parts of being a dad. It's like I get to watch the movie for the first time all over again.:thumbsup2

I'll let kale be "good for someone else".

Truth. And really, is your life worth extending if it's going to be spent eating kale?

Wait? Are you doing something online while watching a movie? Errrr....sorry wrong thread.

Nice try. I'm at work and she's at home.
Where, if we were watching it... I'd be doing nothing else.

pbbbbttt!!!!

Hmm....I think I missed a conversation here.

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm still reading along. It's just been so busy that I haven't had time to comment...until now...and I've forgotten what I wanted to say. Guess I'll settle for great pictures and gorgeous views!:rolleyes:

Hi Lisa! Thanks for dropping in! I appreciate you sticking with me!

Cool! I've found that sharing my favorite movies with my kids is one of my favorite parts of being a dad. It's like I get to watch the movie for the first time all over again.:thumbsup2

Yep! Although fairly often after watching a movie, I'll get the dreaded "meh".

Truth. And really, is your life worth extending if it's going to be spent eating kale?

And you can't even slit your wrists with it!

Hmm....I think I missed a conversation here.

Alison was referring to my TR where I mentioned how kids these days are on their phones while watching a movie and it drives me nuts.
Only to find out that I seem to be the only person on the planet who doesn't do that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter