Chapter 13: Two Words: La-va!
“That's it! Next time I drive...”

paraphrasing this time, are ya?
Either that or I’m missed the reference

You don’t go to the Super 8 for luxury.
No, that would be Motel 6…
No, wait… that’s not it either…
Where do you go for luxury again?

Super 8 had cinnamon rolls, too. They were individually shrink-wrapped with suggested times to warm them in the microwave.
And chances are fair to middlin’ that a small percentage of each of them contained something that was actually digestible.

Win, win…

Thankfully, microwaving processed food is within my skill set
A true renaissance man.

sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.
And either one beats it’s direct alternative.

I got waylaid by the paparazzi.
More Japanese tourists taking pictures of Drew?

This reporter was doing a series on things to see in Idaho
Things like…
Tourists form Delaware.

I think I managed to come off sounding reasonably intelligent.

Ok, would you believe halfway intelligent?

How about fully capable of stringing several words together?
Too bad Agent 86…
Your reputation precedes your.

IMG_9872.jpg
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba…
Sithi uhm ingonyama

And yes, we put sunscreen in Drew’s hair again.
Don’t mess with success…

I knew I should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque.
You’re despicable.

I’m not sure what the point of this was, other than Julie wanted to play with the camera.
Who said there ever had to be a point?

We found a picnic area nearby and got back on the peanut butter-and-jelly wagon for lunch. Everyone pretended to be happy about it.
Probably beat breakfast for organic content.

We needed to try square ice cream.
Well, if you can’t find any Mickey shaped ice cream, than square sounds like a decent alternative.

Still, we pushed on through like the explorers of old, only with a gas-powered engine, climate-controlled surroundings, a portable DVD player, and Cheetos. But otherwise exactly like the pioneers.
I bet they would have killed for a bag a Cheetos.

OK…
Which of those stickers did y’all slap onto their little sign there?

I love Hampton Inns, but they’re not worth $300/night.
That’s Disney money…
(and tough to justify even then)

And by the way, this family is not a democracy.
All the rest of it is but a smoke screen…
That last little bit there, that’s the truth.

So I ignored them all and made a reservation for a dinner served on a tin plate in the company of 800 other people.
Sounds better than these other places already.

They got an up close look at the Vomiting Bear statue.
See!
Infinitely more classy than white linens

And for the piece that really put it over the top? Corny jokes. All. Night. Long.
Jungle Cruise with a steak dinner included.
Will have to add this one to the most see list.

The moral? Don’t slop your drippers, of course!
Well you silly…
Everyone knows that!

I am proud to award the Bar J Chuckwagon a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.
And well deserved form the sound of it.

And then we ruined all that goodwill by making the kids sleep on the floor of a Super 8. It builds character, kids. It builds character.
url

I love it here. Your house is always in the same place and you don't got to go outside to use the bathroom.

:thumbsup

"Sh***er's full!"

Bleh. You finish the "free" breakfast and immediately start looking for a donut shop.

Or in that particular case... you skip the "free" breakfast... gladly.

And just wait till I start talking about Yellowstone.

Ha! That one I've been to.... when I was 9... or 7... around that age anyway.

Seems like the best rewards always involve a good deal of work.

::yes:: Truism.

Ok, I'm willing to bet you do this too. When you write your TR chapters, isn't there always a voice in the back of your head saying, "Ok, how are my smart-a$$ readers going to make fun of me for this?" And then you try to beat them to the punch. I'm all for you guys giving me a hard time, but I'm going to make you work for it.:rotfl:

:lmao: I'm taking the fifth!
(Which is something, considering we don't have a "fifth amendment" in Canada.)

See, that was a quality jab right there. I'm just helping you up your game.:rotfl2:

:laughing:

This was the one in Volcanoes National Park. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark! (without the big boulder)

It does look like that!

Too bad about the boulder though. That would've been cool.

If you listen you can almost hear that Bionic Woman slo-mo sound in the background.

I'm trying to remember what that sounded like.
So I went over to Youtube.

And watched a few seconds of the "Sasquatch" episode.

:sad2:

And no offense, but... isn't a bionic ear kind of sexist?
"Steve! Guess what juicy gossip I just heard... from a mile away."

::yes:: Having the state fish of Hawaii on a shirt fits Scotty, doesn't it?

::yes::

And I'm gonna let everybody know about it!

Too late. I already mentioned how I was going to do that in my TR.

it's a benevolent dictatorship. But a dictatorship nonetheless.

Yep.

Wow, thank you very much. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

I really am! I keep reading and thinking "I gotta go there!"

You know how much time and effort goes into these TR's

Oh, man. Yes I do.
I used to have a life... and then I started writing TRs.

But the readers sure make it worth the effort.
There are some awfully nice folks out there.

You don’t go to the Super 8 for luxury. You go there to save a buck or two, and I knew that going in. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. So when you pay for cheap accommodations, you get cheap accommodations.

This is true, but after this trip, I am SO rooting for you to get that next promotion so that you can justify booking the Hampton next time!

The Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls were fresh, big, warm and gooey. Super 8 had cinnamon rolls, too. They were individually shrink-wrapped with suggested times to warm them in the microwave.

Especially because of this. I have never had the HIE Cinnamon rolls, but I am sure that the Hampton “make ‘em yourself waffles” kick the pants off of the nuked prepackaged cinnamon rolls.

It’s a weird experience to enter the park. We’d been driving through flat farmland—I mean Delaware flat. No distinguishing features of any kind. Then, all of a sudden, you’re surrounded by lava fields. These lava flows were formed between 15,000 and 2,000 years ago as part of the Great Rift volcanic zone—basically a weak, thin spot in the earth’s crust. Repeated lava flows breached this part of the surface, thus creating the landscape we have today.

I had no idea that there were lava fields in Idaho. I dated a geologist for a while in college and that’s how I toured a good portion of Utah, Nevada and California’s major geologic features, but we never got as far as Idaho. Who’da thunk it?

As it turned out, late June was the perfect time to visit. We’d arrived during peak wildflower season.

Love it when you get to see the wildflowers bloom! Especially in such desolate places where you’d never expect to see flowers!

But first, I got waylaid by the paparazzi.

Cool little interview! You actually got quite a bit of airtime!

How about fully capable of stringing several words together?

Yeah, but now you have suffered one of my new major pet peeves that you will hear about on my TR at the Studios. In ADR (Automatic Dialog Replacement) they pride themselves on making sure that the words spoken coincide with the lips moving. Once they pointed that out to me, I have been hypersensitive to how often (especially on news broadcasts in minor markets) it doesn’t happen. You suffered from that in the clip you posted! :laughing:

Several minutes later, we were all gasping for breath once again, but we’d managed to reach the top. There, with the Idaho plains stretched before us, we decided it was finally time to declare this place Pride Rock.

Love that picture!

Soon we were back in the van and heading to the main draw of the park: the chance to hike through lava tubes.

One of the coolest hikes possible! I’ve only been through the other one that you hiked through!

And yes, we put sunscreen in Drew’s hair again.

When he gets older and looks back on these photos he’s going to either be a) so embarrassed or b) know that he was with the “in” crowd. Unfortunately it will probably be more like those of us who look back on the pictures from the 70’s and say, “Wow, I can’t believe I was wearing those Bell Bottoms with the Extra Wide Bells!”

I’m not sure what the point of this was, other than Julie wanted to play with the camera.

I can hear the bionic woman soundtrack in the background. @Leshaface if you’re out there, this is where the music is important in your picture taking! :rotfl2:

We found a picnic area nearby and got back on the peanut butter-and-jelly wagon for lunch. Everyone pretended to be happy about it.

Great family photo!

We needed to try square ice cream.

Of course you did because square ice cream! Or just ice cream!

And yes, I could certainly have slept on the floor instead. But I don’t know that I would have been able to walk the next morning. The kids are young, resilient, and will recover. I’m old and frail and have to drive the van 8 hours a day. And by the way, this family is not a democracy.

You are the parents, and you set the rules. The kids sleep on the floor. I assume you let Julie sleep on the bed with you. :confused3

Friends of ours had recommended the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner and show. This event runs nightly during the summer months and has been in operation for decades. It’s basically a family ranch that has made their money through raising cattle and turned the dinner/show into a lucrative side business (that may now be the main business).

Sounds like a great choice for dinner! It sounds like how you and Sarah watched dinner being prepared that they cooked that cow a little longer and harder than my cow which you seemed to think went straight from “farm to table” bringing a whole new meaning to the phrase! :rotfl2:

She and many others were the recipient of some stinkeye from one of the performers, as he wondered several times why you’d visit a cattle ranch just to order chicken for dinner.

Well they do have a point! :confused3

They even instructed us to make sure we spun the plate to hold it under the applesauce because the other portions would get too hot to handle once served.

Yup! I wouldn’t have thought of that either until my fingers were burning off. Obviously not many folks do or they wouldn’t say it so much!

All I know is, the food was great, the music was great, and we laughed a lot. I would be hard-pressed to name a time when our money was better spent. We had a fine evening, everyone loved it, and I am proud to award the Bar J Chuckwagon a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

Good to know! If I ever make it back there I will keep it in mind.

The only time I visited Jackson Hole was in what I call a “whole ‘nother lifetime.” It was winter and we went for a ski vacation and stayed with my ex BIL. My net takeaway from that trip was that when you live in Jackson Hole, you don’t need a refrigerator for your beer, just put it on the front porch because it’s even cooler when you want to drink it!

The other thing was that folks in Wyoming don’t know Mexican beer. The BIL’s roommate was known to have said regarding the beer we brought from California, “This Chi-hoo-a-hoo-a stuff is not bad!” :rotfl2: You might have to be So Cal person to get that.

They've quieted down some in recent months. But we still have a good time. A safe haven from some of the other more contentious threads.

There are contentious threads on here? Who knew!

Julie used to read them and told me about a couple. She stopped when I found the pattern and started summarizing the plot of every single book before she read it. You might say he repeats his formula without variations.:rotfl2:

So a lot like Louis L'Amour

I will await the report anxiously if you get the chance to do the tour!

Deal! Imagine the photos I could get! I am really, REALLY tempted at this point!

Could be a Han Solo quote right there.

Do you have a bad feeling about this?

Music can be so transcendent at times.

Cathartic.

At first I thought you were talking about the reporter. But seriously, that's pretty cool!

I set it up, you spike the ball.:thumbsup2

Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors.

Beware the moon, lads.

I love this arch/gateway.

Very Wilderness Lodge-y, right?

That dinner sounds great! Kind of like Hoop de Doo, but even better.

Very similar! And as you know, Hoop de Doo is a great time.

“That's it! Next time I drive...”

paraphrasing this time, are ya?
Either that or I’m missed the reference

This one was a little bit more obscure:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825918/quotes?ref_=tt_ql_3

No, that would be Motel 6…
No, wait… that’s not it either…
Where do you go for luxury again?

Best place I can think of:

IMG_0423.jpg

And chances are fair to middlin’ that a small percentage of each of them contained something that was actually digestible.

Win, win…

Never tell me the odds!

A true renaissance man.

I even tied my shoes by myself today!

And either one beats it’s direct alternative.

'Tis true.

More Japanese tourists taking pictures of Drew?

That was a one-time occurrence, it seems.

Things like…
Tourists form Delaware.

I'm sure that was high on the list.

Too bad Agent 86…
Your reputation precedes your.

+1:thumbsup2

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba…
Sithi uhm ingonyama

Great, now that's stuck in my head. Although you could do much worse.

Don’t mess with success…

Rules of Life.

You’re despicable.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits.

Who said there ever had to be a point?

Certainly not me! This quote applies to every TR I've ever written:

“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

--Mark Twain

Probably beat breakfast for organic content.

Sadly, I must agree.

Well, if you can’t find any Mickey shaped ice cream, than square sounds like a decent alternative.

This should also be a Rule of Life, shouldn't it?

I bet they would have killed for a bag a Cheetos.

Probably. Especially one that had been blessed by the Lord.

OK…
Which of those stickers did y’all slap onto their little sign there?

I didn't have any to contribute, but we haven't seen the end of random stickers yet.

That’s Disney money…
(and tough to justify even then)

True. The only time I found I could even approach justifying that kind of money was when I could see African native animals from my balcony.

All the rest of it is but a smoke screen…
That last little bit there, that’s the truth.

Sounds better than these other places already.

Certainly less pretentious.

See!
Infinitely more classy than white linens

This fit everything I would look for in a quality meal.

Jungle Cruise with a steak dinner included.
Will have to add this one to the most see list.

Very apt description!

Well you silly…
Everyone knows that!

Sorry. Just change my name to Captain Obvious.

And well deserved form the sound of it.

:thumbsup

"Sh***er's full!"

+1:thumbsup2

Or in that particular case... you skip the "free" breakfast... gladly.

There's a lot of wisdom in that.

Ha! That one I've been to.... when I was 9... or 7... around that age anyway.

It's a hard place to forget, that's for sure.

:lmao: I'm taking the fifth!
(Which is something, considering we don't have a "fifth amendment" in Canada.)

:rotfl2: Whoa. I think I struck a nerve there!

It does look like that!

Too bad about the boulder though. That would've been cool.

Only if I was standing someplace else! I see what you did there.

I'm trying to remember what that sounded like.
So I went over to Youtube.

And watched a few seconds of the "Sasquatch" episode.

:sad2:

And no offense, but... isn't a bionic ear kind of sexist?
"Steve! Guess what juicy gossip I just heard... from a mile away."

A sexist show from the '70's? Nah, that wouldn't happen.

Too late. I already mentioned how I was going to do that in my TR.

Dang it!

I really am! I keep reading and thinking "I gotta go there!"

I hope you do! These places are really worth the effort.

Oh, man. Yes I do.
I used to have a life... and then I started writing TRs.

But the readers sure make it worth the effort.
There are some awfully nice folks out there.

Agreed. I'm still amazed that people actually read this stuff. But I'm grateful that they care.

This is true, but after this trip, I am SO rooting for you to get that next promotion so that you can justify booking the Hampton next time!

Hey, thanks! I just had another interview on Wednesday. Forgot to post my Morgan Freeman photo on that one.:rotfl2:

Especially because of this. I have never had the HIE Cinnamon rolls, but I am sure that the Hampton “make ‘em yourself waffles” kick the pants off of the nuked prepackaged cinnamon rolls.

Yes! Hampton Inn definitely has quality food--a notch above most standard hotel breakfasts.

I had no idea that there were lava fields in Idaho. I dated a geologist for a while in college and that’s how I toured a good portion of Utah, Nevada and California’s major geologic features, but we never got as far as Idaho. Who’da thunk it?

It's definitely unexpected. Most of the surrounding area is a flat, boring valley.

Love it when you get to see the wildflowers bloom! Especially in such desolate places where you’d never expect to see flowers!

I agree!

Cool little interview! You actually got quite a bit of airtime!

Hey, thanks. When you only interview two people, I guess you get more airtime!:rotfl:

Yeah, but now you have suffered one of my new major pet peeves that you will hear about on my TR at the Studios. In ADR (Automatic Dialog Replacement) they pride themselves on making sure that the words spoken coincide with the lips moving. Once they pointed that out to me, I have been hypersensitive to how often (especially on news broadcasts in minor markets) it doesn’t happen. You suffered from that in the clip you posted! :laughing:

Ah, that's fine. I'm just glad I didn't have boogers hanging from my nose.

Love that picture!

:goodvibes

One of the coolest hikes possible! I’ve only been through the other one that you hiked through!

They are awesome. A great experience.

When he gets older and looks back on these photos he’s going to either be a) so embarrassed or b) know that he was with the “in” crowd. Unfortunately it will probably be more like those of us who look back on the pictures from the 70’s and say, “Wow, I can’t believe I was wearing those Bell Bottoms with the Extra Wide Bells!”

Yeah, I can't recall too many experiences where I've looked back on old photos and thought, "You know, I'm glad my parents dressed me like that.":lmao:

I can hear the bionic woman soundtrack in the background. @Leshaface if you’re out there, this is where the music is important in your picture taking! :rotfl2:

Exactly!

Great family photo!

Thanks!

Of course you did because square ice cream! Or just ice cream!

As good a reason as any I can think of.

You are the parents, and you set the rules. The kids sleep on the floor. I assume you let Julie sleep on the bed with you. :confused3

Sometimes. She steals the covers.

Sounds like a great choice for dinner! It sounds like how you and Sarah watched dinner being prepared that they cooked that cow a little longer and harder than my cow which you seemed to think went straight from “farm to table” bringing a whole new meaning to the phrase! :rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I know true steak aficionados are supposed to like them as rare as possible, but I just can't bring myself to do that. I need at least some attempt at cooking it.

Well they do have a point! :confused3

Can't argue with the logic.

Yup! I wouldn’t have thought of that either until my fingers were burning off. Obviously not many folks do or they wouldn’t say it so much!

I'm sure it was a hard lesson learned!

Good to know! If I ever make it back there I will keep it in mind.

The only time I visited Jackson Hole was in what I call a “whole ‘nother lifetime.” It was winter and we went for a ski vacation and stayed with my ex BIL. My net takeaway from that trip was that when you live in Jackson Hole, you don’t need a refrigerator for your beer, just put it on the front porch because it’s even cooler when you want to drink it!

The other thing was that folks in Wyoming don’t know Mexican beer. The BIL’s roommate was known to have said regarding the beer we brought from California, “This Chi-hoo-a-hoo-a stuff is not bad!” :rotfl2: You might have to be So Cal person to get that.

I don't recognize the beer offhand, but just the way you typed it made me laugh.:rotfl2:

There are contentious threads on here? Who knew!

Beware, all ye who enter.

So a lot like Louis L'Amour

Pretty much, yeah. Or the A-Team. (which I loved)

Deal! Imagine the photos I could get! I am really, REALLY tempted at this point!

All the cool people are doing it...

Do you have a bad feeling about this?

How did you know?

Cathartic.

Yes! That too!

That's what I said when my shoe fell down ours...

Um, one has to ask -

I have to agree. Smells like there's a story here. Well, it smells like something else, too, but I'm more interested in the story.

Best place I can think of:

IMG_0423.jpg

At the risk of sounding foolish...
Where is that?

It's a hard place to forget, that's for sure.

Actually, what really stuck was the fact there were no herds of bears milling around.
It's Yellowstone! Where are the bears?
Actually saw some later... outside the park.

Also remember Old Faithful...
and how disappointed I was that it wasn't as regular as a clock. :laughing:

A sexist show from the '70's? Nah, that wouldn't happen.

So.... Was the start of Bionic Woman when 6 Million Dollar Man jumped the shark?
Or had it already done that?
(see Sasquatch reference)
(fyi: Bionic Woman shows up in March 1975 and premiered in her own series January 1976, Sasquatch shows up in February 1976. Thanks Google!)

Agreed. I'm still amazed that people actually read this stuff. But I'm grateful that they care.

At the risk of sounding foolish...
Where is that?

That's Aulani. Best hotel I've ever seen.

Actually, what really stuck was the fact there were no herds of bears milling around.
It's Yellowstone! Where are the bears?
Actually saw some later... outside the park.

Also remember Old Faithful...
and how disappointed I was that it wasn't as regular as a clock. :laughing:

Seriously, you should just be able to push a button!

Spoiler: no bears for us either.:sad1:

So.... Was the start of Bionic Woman when 6 Million Dollar Man jumped the shark?
Or had it already done that?
(see Sasquatch reference)
(fyi: Bionic Woman shows up in March 1975 and premiered in her own series January 1976, Sasquatch shows up in February 1976. Thanks Google!)

I have no idea. I only saw bits and pieces in re-runs over the years.

That's Aulani. Best hotel I've ever seen.

It is??? That was my first thought, but I didn't remember the beach being that big.

Oh. I know why. Access to the beach (and subsequently back to the hotel) was by room key.
(Well, I guess that was really a Magic Band)
Upshot is, we never got out onto the beach since we were just visiting.

Seriously, you should just be able to push a button!

There was a video from years ago.
Two guys dressed in "Ranger" gear walked out off to the side where the crowds were.
One guy had a metal pipe, the other a wheel.
They put the pipe on the ground (standing up vertically) and the wheel on top.
When Old Faithful was about to blow, they started turning the wheel.

A lot of people were unhappy that Old Faithfull was actually controlled by the Rangers and not a natural phenomenon. :laughing:

Spoiler: no bears for us either.:sad1:

What? Why didn't you put that in here:
Why? Why??? Whyyyyyyy??????
Now the whole TR is completely ruined!!

It is??? That was my first thought, but I didn't remember the beach being that big.

Oh. I know why. Access to the beach (and subsequently back to the hotel) was by room key.
(Well, I guess that was really a Magic Band)
Upshot is, we never got out onto the beach since we were just visiting.

Gotcha. I hadn't thought about the room key thing. So I guess not many people would recognize that point of view!

There was a video from years ago.
Two guys dressed in "Ranger" gear walked out off to the side where the crowds were.
One guy had a metal pipe, the other a wheel.
They put the pipe on the ground (standing up vertically) and the wheel on top.
When Old Faithful was about to blow, they started turning the wheel.

A lot of people were unhappy that Old Faithfull was actually controlled by the Rangers and not a natural phenomenon. :laughing:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Hilarious!

What? Why didn't you put that in here:
Why? Why??? Whyyyyyyy??????
Now the whole TR is completely ruined!!

D'oh! I keep forgetting about that tag. Well, you had said the TR was improving, so I had to make sure I brought it back down to a crapfest.

Chapter 14: Can’t Figure The Stinkin’ Buffalo.

The kids all slept on the floor, we had another breakfast of crappy rubbery microwaved processed food and stale cereal, and then we checked out and filled up the van with gas. Let us never speak of the Super 8 motel chain again.

Onward to bigger and better things. Such as Grand Teton National Park.

IMG_9977.jpg

Grand Teton National Park was founded in 1929. The Teton mountain range was given its name by early 19th century French-speaking fur trappers who were both imaginative and extremely lonely, calling the mountains “Le Trois Tetons”, or The Three…um…Bosoms.

Although it is a next-door neighbor of America’s very first National Park, Yelllowstone, which was created in 1872, Grand Teton National Park took another fifty years to officially be placed on the map. Its creation was actually very similar to that of Walt Disney World in Florida. Many activists, conservationists and environmentalists had a keen interest in protecting the mountain range and surrounding Jackson Hole area, but a large portion of the residents did not trust the government (unlike today, of course) and wanted no part in the government taking control of these lands. So John D. Rockefeller was approached, being a wealthy philanthropist (key word: wealth) and asked if he could slowly buy up property with the intention of eventually donating it to the government for protection as a national park. So he did just that, using a series of shell corporations and/or dummy names as cover in order to hide his true intent. Eventually (not without much legal wrangling, as this is our country’s national sport) the lands he bought were donated and formed the park. More area has been added to its boundaries over the years.

Our first stop was not actually in the park itself, but rather on a small dirt road about 20 miles north of the town of Jackson. We wanted to see Mormon Row and catch it in the morning light.

But first, we had to get there. Unbeknownst to us, a 1930’s car club had chosen this date to meet in Jackson and drive as a group through the national park. If you’re a part of this club, driving through one of the most beautiful areas of the country in your authentic antique car would be quite a thrill. If you’re a regular tourist, trailing behind fifty of these cars traveling at a top speed of 17 mph gets old very fast. It’s like being on the Tomorrowland Speedway without the thrill of banging into the center rail.

Anyway, to reach Mormon Row you proceed past the main turnoff for the park visitor center for another mile or two, and then make a right to follow a narrow 2-lane road for a couple of miles. Then you park where everybody else is parking.

The park and all of the roads lie to the east of the mountain range, so in order to see the mountains in the best light, it’s best to get out in the morning. Mormon Row is an old dirt road lined with ancient farms and settlements of early settlers. It’s a great setting to get some spectacular photos.

IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9991.jpg

I was waiting in the car with the baby while Julie and the big kids took the pictures, so I missed this sighting. A coyote wandered right on past them as they walked on the dirt road.

IMG_9997.jpg

We saw some other cars heading south on the dirt road and could see another barn down that way, so we followed the crowd (very slowly).

Here we found a barn that has been made famous over the years after being featured in photos of the Teton area. We got our own version of the picture. It might be a cliché by now, but it’s one of my favorite photos of the entire vacation. This area is just stunning in its beauty.

IMG_0009.jpg

Not long after, we climbed back into the van. Off in a distant field, we caught a glimpse of our first bison herd of the vacation.

IMG_0002.jpg

The wildflowers were in bloom here as well.

IMG_0011.jpg

We entered the park and stopped at the visitor center, which we thought was a unique enough structure to merit a photo:

IMG_0014.jpg

We stayed just long enough to get Junior Ranger books for the kids. Seeing as the car club was now here in the parking lot, we hustled out the door so we’d get ahead of them on the roads. After all, why would you want to mosey on through a place of great beauty and nature when you could speed through in a cloud of dust?

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

Don’t look at me like that. It’s rude.

The park itself is very simple. It’s a lush valley with a gorgeous mountain backdrop. It’s teeming with wildlife. As a visitor, you drive along one of two roads (Teton Park Road, managed by the Park Service, and Rt. 89) running along the valley floor, and you enjoy the views. That’s all there is to it. And so that was our plan for the day.

I’d hoped to see moose in the park. As a child, we’d seen moose virtually everywhere. My grandmother had been with us at the time, and my father had even joked about seeing a sign at the lodge that read “MOOSE FEEDING – 9:00 p.m.” My grandmother had fallen for it and kept asking if we’d be back for the moose feeding, and this became a running gag in our family for decades. Every year from then on, she would receive a moose-themed Christmas gift.

One of the early stops on Teton Park Road is the Chapel of the Transfiguration, which makes for both a quality photo stop and a place for quiet spiritual contemplation.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

That view doesn’t get old, does it? At least I hope not, because the rest of this chapter repeats it quite a bit.

We stopped for a bit to check out Menor’s Ferry. Here a man named Bill Menor made a living with a small shop and a ferry he used to take folks from one side of the Snake River to the other. It was attached to a cable that he would use to guide the boat across the river and also kept it from floating away. The National Park Service was working on restoring a boat so that they could actually start re-enacting the ferry rides from time to time.

IMG_0033.jpg

Let’s check on the view. Yep, still jaw-dropping.

IMG_0034.jpg

It had only recently turned warmer here, so the snow-melt was in peak form. This created several waterfalls down the slopes of the mountains.

IMG_0042.jpg

We stopped at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center in late morning, and by now it was packed with cars. They have a huge parking area, and we still had to circle a couple of times before we could find a parking space. This is the most popular starting point for most of the hikes in the park as well as a boat that ferries crowds across the lake, so it’s best to arrive early if you want to take advantage of the amenities here. We were late (I blame Super 8 and the car club), so we just enjoyed the view from the shore. The waters up here are absolutely pristine.

IMG_0044.jpg

One of the most popular hikes in the park is on the far side of the lake and goes to a fairly large waterfall called Hidden Falls. However, you either have to hike 5 miles roundtrip from the visitor center to see it or take the boat across the lake. We had debated it, but the boat would have cost our family around $60 and there was no way I was going to hold up for 5 miles with that infernal backpack weighing me down. So in the end we decided against the hike, not without some regret. I guess we’ll have to come back.

This guy seemed happy about that decision, though.

IMG_0053.jpg

We could still wander by the water and soak it all in. Well, not literally. The water was very cold, since it’s all snow-melt. But we figuratively soaked—no, that doesn’t sound right, either. We…ah, let’s just say we liked the purty places.

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Near the north end of the park road, it crosses Jackson Lake. At this bridge, if the water is calm enough, you can see Mt. Moran…and a pretty sweet reflection.

IMG_0072.jpg

We stopped at the nearby Jackson Lake Lodge for a bathroom pit stop and to stretch our legs. Years ago, I remembered stopping here with my parents and getting milkshakes from the snack bar while enjoying the view out the massive picture windows of the lobby. We thought about doing something similar, but not at $7 a pop.

From here, we turned south and headed down Rt. 89 back towards Jackson. This was a quicker trip, as there are fewer turnouts—it’s more of the main road through the area. We did stop at the Snake River Overlook. This used to afford a gorgeous view of an S-curve in the river framed by the mountains. Now it’s become more overgrown. But it’s still pretty.

IMG_0081.jpg

We circled back into the park entrance and headed to Menor’s Ferry again, where the kids could do a Junior Ranger program and finish off their badge requirements. This turned out to be a blessing, because our kids were the only ones there, so they got a private ranger talk. This is where we learned the story about the park’s history that I related to Disney World in a shameless attempt to keep you interested earlier.

Once the kids had their badges, we drove back to Jackson for dinner. Alas, there was no western show to accompany the food this time. But the food looked promising. I’d seen the Snake River Brewing Company on the Travel Channel a couple of years back and had evidently thought it looked interesting enough to remember it now.

IMG_0091.jpg

There must be something with Wyoming and stickers, because you can see the fermenting tank to the left was just covered in “souvenirs”. I found one right away that let me know I was in the right place.

IMG_0089.jpg

I also looked through their beer menu and found one that I immediately grabbed a photo of and sent it to my brother, Rob.

IMG_0090.jpg

We perused the menu but I didn’t take long to decide. This was Wyoming, and they had a bison burger on the menu. As they say…When in Wyoming, eat the buffalo. Or something like that. I also had a pint of their Nitro Stout. Rob Still Sucks wasn’t on tap that day, which did indeed suck.

IMG_0087.jpg

The verdict? Both burger and beer were very tasty. They say buffalo meat is actually leaner than beef and offers a different flavor, but I have to confess: I couldn’t tell the difference.

Once dinner was finished (and I’d secured a new pint glass for my collection back home), we stocked up on PB&J supplies at the grocery store and then drove back north. Along the way, we passed the famous elk antler arches at the Jackson town square.

IMG_0094.jpg

The late sun now offered a different, but no less stunning light on the mountain range.

IMG_0098.jpg

And now we got an up close look at an animal that symbolizes the American West: the bison. Apparently buffalo is actually an incorrect term for these animals, not that it stopped us from using it.

IMG_0099.jpg

Whatchu lookin’ at?

IMG_0107.jpg

Just a word of caution: stay in your car when viewing these guys up close. Every year, there are a few deaths or serious injuries in National Parks because some idiots decide they need to take selfies with a bison from 4 feet away. No selfie is worth your life.

Our final stop for the day was Oxbow Bend overlook. This spot gives a nice view of a big bend in the Snake River and was a favorite of my youth due to the fact that we had parked ourselves here in the evening and seen wildlife all over, highlighted by moose and a bald eagle flying down the river. I still have vivid memories of those sights today. Naturally, I wanted to try and recreate them for my kids.

IMG_0115.jpg

So we parked and waited.

IMG_0119.jpg

That wildlife was going to show up any minute now.

IMG_0129.jpg

See? Wildlife!

IMG_0120.jpg

Almost the same as a bald eagle flying majestically down the river:

IMG_0123.jpg

Well, you win some, you lose some. We hung out for quite a while, providing a nice snack for the mosquitoes, and didn’t see anything else. As it would turn out, the single moose we’d seen in Rocky Mountain N.P. was the only moose we’d see on this trip.

We couldn’t linger and wallow in our despair. We were moving on to the next park…and a much more spectacular place to stay.

I’ll save that for the next chapter.

IMG_0131.jpg

Coming Up Next: Seriously? Did you not just read those last few sentences?

we had another breakfast of crappy rubbery microwaved processed food and stale cereal,

Wow! You make that sound awesome!!

Let us never speak of the Super 8 motel chain again.

Please? Just one more time?
For ol' times sake?

The Teton mountain range was given its name by early 19th century French-speaking fur trappers who were both imaginative and extremely lonely, calling the mountains “Le Trois Tetons”, or The Three…um…Bosoms.

Oh. My. God.
I speak french. Never thought much of that range's name since the pronounciation is completely different.
But the instant I read "given its name by early 19th century French-speaking..." my jaw dropped.

but a large portion of the residents did not trust the government (unlike today, of course)

Of course.

So John D. Rockefeller was approached, being a wealthy philanthropist (key word: wealth)

Secondary word: phil.

and asked if he could slowly buy up property with the intention of eventually donating it to the government for protection as a national park. So he did just that, using a series of shell corporations and/or dummy names as cover in order to hide his true intent.

Huh. That's really interesting.

If you’re a regular tourist, trailing behind fifty of these cars traveling at a top speed of 17 mph gets old very fast

Ugh! No!

It’s like being on the Tomorrowland Speedway without the thrill of banging into the center rail.

But maybe you could've added in your own thrill by making it into a bumper cars ride?

Then you park where everybody else is parking.

:laughing: Makes sense, actually.

It’s a great setting to get some spectacular photos.

::yes:: So many awesome photos in this update. Really.

I was waiting in the car with the baby while Julie and the big kids took the pictures, so I missed this sighting. A coyote wandered right on past them as they walked on the dirt road.

Sorry. The first thing that popped into my mind: "A dingo ate my baby."

This area is just stunning in its beauty.

Man. You sure know how to pick 'em.

We entered the park and stopped at the visitor center, which we thought was a unique enough structure to merit a photo:

It is! I love it when they make what could be a dull building into something eye-catching.

After all, why would you want to mosey on through a place of great beauty and nature when you could speed through in a cloud of dust?

Yep.
Reminds me of the scene from Nat'l Lampoon Vacation just after Chevy Chase robs the till.

Whoops! Sorry about that.
How's this?

No. Nevermind. That's probably worse.

my father had even joked about seeing a sign at the lodge that read “MOOSE FEEDING – 9:00 p.m.”

:lmao:

Then again, they could have a big guy named "Moose" who'd come and eat his dinner.

My grandmother had fallen for it and kept asking if we’d be back for the moose feeding, and this became a running gag in our family for decades. Every year from then on, she would receive a moose-themed Christmas gift.

:rotfl: No! That's hysterical!

One of the early stops on Teton Park Road is the Chapel of the Transfiguration

Oh, just more beauty.

Here a man named Bill Menor made a living with a small shop and a ferry he used to take folks from one side of the Snake River to the other. It was attached to a cable that he would use to guide the boat across the river and also kept it from floating away. The National Park Service was working on restoring a boat so that they could actually start re-enacting the ferry rides from time to time.

Cool. What would be even more awesome would be horseback rides where part of it would be taking the ferry.
Or even horse drawn wagon rides.

This is the most popular starting point for most of the hikes in the park as well as a boat that ferries crowds across the lake

Is there anything else on the other side other than trails to merit the ferry?

The waters up here are absolutely pristine.

I was just thinking that you could probably drink right out of that lake.

We had debated it, but the boat would have cost our family around $60 and there was no way I was going to hold up for 5 miles with that infernal backpack weighing me down. So in the end we decided against the hike, not without some regret. I guess we’ll have to come back.

I love building in excuses to go back to places I want to see again.

IMG_0053.jpg

:goodvibes Cute pic!

We could still wander by the water and soak it all in.

Wasn't it cold?

Well, not literally. The water was very cold, since it’s all snow-melt. But we figuratively soaked

"Figuratively" soaked?

no, that doesn’t sound right, either. We…ah, let’s just say we liked the purty places.

There. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Whoever took that pic for you knows how to frame a photo.

We stopped at the nearby Jackson Lake Lodge for a bathroom pit stop and to stretch our legs.

You wouldn't have to stretch your legs if you'd done that five mile hike.

We thought about doing something similar, but not at $7 a pop.

I dunno. I've never had a milk shake with real gold in it.

We did stop at the Snake River Overlook.

Love overlooks. It's like someone saying "Here! Right here! Pretty!"

This used to afford a gorgeous view of an S-curve in the river framed by the mountains. Now it’s become more overgrown. But it’s still pretty.

Nothing that clearcut logging wouldn't cure!

What?

We circled back into the park entrance and headed to Menor’s Ferry again, where the kids could do a Junior Ranger program and finish off their badge requirements. This turned out to be a blessing, because our kids were the only ones there, so they got a private ranger talk.

Nice.

This is where we learned the story about the park’s history that I related to Disney World in a shameless attempt to keep you interested earlier.

Hey! How dare you use a literary hook to keep us interested!

I found one right away that let me know I was in the right place.

Kay made me buy kale (for the first time ever) the other day.
She said she had a recipe for kale chips.

I don't know if it turned out okay. I thought it stank so didn't try it.
She wasn't offended. She said it tasted lousy, too.

And thus ended the great pkondz house kale experiment of 2015.

I also looked through their beer menu and found one that I immediately grabbed a photo of and sent it to my brother, Rob.

:laughing: I'm sure he appreciated that.

We perused the menu but I didn’t take long to decide. This was Wyoming, and they had a bison burger on the menu.

I'm positive I would've picked the same.

As they say…When in Wyoming, eat the buffalo. Or something like that.

No. Not something like that. That's it exactly.

Along the way, we passed the famous elk antler arches at the Jackson town square.

Bambi's, left side, about 3/4s of the way up.

Apparently buffalo is actually an incorrect term for these animals, not that it stopped us from using it.

There are buffalo.
But in zoos.
Wanna see them in the wild???????
Go to Africa.

Just a word of caution: stay in your car when viewing these guys up close. Every year, there are a few deaths or serious injuries in National Parks because some idiots decide they need to take selfies with a bison from 4 feet away. No selfie is worth your life.

:sad2: People don't get that wild animals are actually wild.

So we parked and waited.

Oh, boy!

That wildlife was going to show up any minute now.

Oh, BOY!!!!!

See? Wildlife!

Where? Behind the ducks???

Close... Verrrrry close.

not.

Super 8 had cinnamon rolls, too. They were individually shrink-wrapped with suggested times to warm them in the microwave.
Hey, that's better than the last time I stayed at a Super 8. There was no microwave. They did have a toaster. So my options were stale cereal or moldy bagels.

We’d been driving through flat farmland—I mean Delaware flat. No distinguishing features of any kind
You've been out west for too long. It is affecting your sense of flatness. There is nothing in that part of the country that is Delaware flat.

But first, I got waylaid by the paparazzi. It’s just one of those things you have to deal with from time to time when you’re young, dashingly good-looking, and charming.
I know. Poor Drew just can't go anywhere without being hounded them.

There, with the Idaho plains stretched before us, we decided it was finally time to declare this place Pride Rock.
I love it!

These are discovered over time as weather, plate tectonics, and the effects of time cause pieces to collapse here and there. Then idiots like me who ignore the word “collapse” in that previous sentence get the bright idea to hike through them.
Hey kids! See that 10 foot tall jagged rock that you're standing right next to? Wanna guess how that got there?

It's vacation and Julie and Sarah are having fun. Does there need to be a point?

I’m happy to report that this makes absolutely no difference in the taste of ice cream whatsoever. Which is good, because ice cream wasn’t broken and didn’t need to be fixed. But it was worthy of a stop because: a) it broke up the drive, b) now we can say we ate “square” ice cream, and c) it was ice cream.
I approve. I mean, it is kind of a unique thing, so you have to try it. And yeah, ice cream!!

Still, we pushed on through like the explorers of old, only with a gas-powered engine, climate-controlled surroundings, a portable DVD player, and Cheetos. But otherwise exactly like the pioneers. And we entered the next state on our agenda.
Just like the pioneers. Or at least the disoriented, navigationally challenged pioneers. Considering Wyoming is East of Idaho. :rolleyes1

Needless to say, that means summer is high tourist season and all of the hotel rates are insanely expensive. I would have loved to stay in the Hampton Inn, for example, but they were asking for $300/night. I love Hampton Inns, but they’re not worth $300/night.
You're right. They're not worth $300 per night. Unless your alternative is another Super 8.

“This room only has one bed,” the clerk answered. I was proud of myself, having saved myself a trip to the desk to ask for a new room. So I asked if she could move us to a room with two beds instead.

“I’m sorry, I just sold the last available room,” she said.

Crap.
:sad2: Live and learn.

And yes, I could certainly have slept on the floor instead. But I don’t know that I would have been able to walk the next morning. The kids are young, resilient, and will recover. I’m old and frail and have to drive the van 8 hours a day. And by the way, this family is not a democracy.
I approve.

She and many others were the recipient of some stinkeye from one of the performers, as he wondered several times why you’d visit a cattle ranch just to order chicken for dinner.
Seems like a valid point to me!

We had over 800 people in the building and the family proudly announced that they’d have everyone served and seated within 20 minutes.
Clearly they know what they're doing.

After an hour for dinner or so, the show began. It consisted of 5 musicians, four of them also singing, as they played cowboy songs into the night. I’ve been to many concerts in my life and I don’t know if I can name many that I enjoyed more than this one. I can’t say I’m a big country/western music fan, although it doesn’t make me run screaming from the room either. But I could have listened to these guys all night. Their skill was jaw-dropping. They said their fiddler was 7-time Wyoming Fiddlin’ champion and 2-time National Champion.
Awesome! I tend to be kind of leery of these "tourist trap dinner shows" just because I've seen some that could be put to shame by an elementary school music program. But some of them really do have some impressive talent and make it worthwhile. I'm glad to hear that this was one of those.

And for the piece that really put it over the top? Corny jokes. All. Night. Long.
Clearly they knew their audience.

All I know is, the food was great, the music was great, and we laughed a lot.
Sounds like a winner to me!

The kids all slept on the floor, we had another breakfast of crappy rubbery microwaved processed food and stale cereal, and then we checked out and filled up the van with gas.
Well, at least you had a good dinner the night before. So there's that.

The Teton mountain range was given its name by early 19th century French-speaking fur trappers who were both imaginative and extremely lonely, calling the mountains “Le Trois Tetons”, or The Three…um…Bosoms.
So, you're saying guys are guys and some things never change?

But first, we had to get there. Unbeknownst to us, a 1930’s car club had chosen this date to meet in Jackson and drive as a group through the national park. If you’re a part of this club, driving through one of the most beautiful areas of the country in your authentic antique car would be quite a thrill. If you’re a regular tourist, trailing behind fifty of these cars traveling at a top speed of 17 mph gets old very fast. It’s like being on the Tomorrowland Speedway without the thrill of banging into the center rail.
:faint: Left lane. Hammer down.

The park and all of the roads lie to the east of the mountain range, so in order to see the mountains in the best light, it’s best to get out in the morning. Mormon Row is an old dirt road lined with ancient farms and settlements of early settlers. It’s a great setting to get some spectacular photos.
And you (ok, Julie) really did an awesome job. Fantastic photos!

Bang!

Oh wait, National Park. That would probably be frowned upon. Never like to see coyotes so unafraid of people.

That certainly is an interesting building.

We stayed just long enough to get Junior Ranger books for the kids. Seeing as the car club was now here in the parking lot, we hustled out the door so we’d get ahead of them on the roads. After all, why would you want to mosey on through a place of great beauty and nature when you could speed through in a cloud of dust?
Hey, I can't blame you! If you'd been stuck behind all those cars, you'd probably still only be halfway through the park today.

We could still wander by the water and soak it all in. Well, not literally. The water was very cold, since it’s all snow-melt. But we figuratively soaked—no, that doesn’t sound right, either. We…ah, let’s just say we liked the purty places.
You are good at words. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Near the north end of the park road, it crosses Jackson Lake. At this bridge, if the water is calm enough, you can see Mt. Moran…and a pretty sweet reflection.
Beautiful!

Years ago, I remembered stopping here with my parents and getting milkshakes from the snack bar while enjoying the view out the massive picture windows of the lobby. We thought about doing something similar, but not at $7 a pop.
Because they finally realized they had no competition.

There must be something with Wyoming and stickers, because you can see the fermenting tank to the left was just covered in “souvenirs”. I found one right away that let me know I was in the right place.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

We perused the menu but I didn’t take long to decide. This was Wyoming, and they had a bison burger on the menu. As they say…When in Wyoming, eat the buffalo.
Exactly! If you didn't get it, that would be like going to a cattle ranch and ordering chicken! I mean, who would do something like that? :confused3 :rotfl:

The verdict? Both burger and beer were very tasty. They say buffalo meat is actually leaner than beef and offers a different flavor, but I have to confess: I couldn’t tell the difference.
And I thought you were a burger connoisseur!
I've had bison several times... I can tell a difference. It is definitely subtle though. But I'll take your inability to distinguish the fact that it is bison to mean that they did an awesome job with the burger. The "leanness" of bison can kind of hurt the flavor at times or the burger might be a little bit on the crumbly side. I'd say you got a well cooked burger.

Or they just ran out of bison and figured they could pull one over on @Captain_Oblivious

And now we got an up close look at an animal that symbolizes the American West: the bison. Apparently buffalo is actually an incorrect term for these animals, not that it stopped us from using it.
And this line is why I made sure to use bison above ^^^ :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

You know... if you're stupid enough to try it... :sad2:

Well, you win some, you lose some. We hung out for quite a while, providing a nice snack for the mosquitoes, and didn’t see anything else. As it would turn out, the single moose we’d seen in Rocky Mountain N.P. was the only moose we’d see on this trip.
I'm sorry that it let you down in the wildlife department, but it does look like a beautiful spot to just hang around for a while. Even if you didn't see a moose or an eagle, I'm sure it was time well spent.

Chapter 14: Can’t Figure The Stinkin’ Buffalo.
Sometimes you don't see them for days, and sometimes they're out there as thick as curls on a…

(Ya’ know… I do believe that we’ll stop right there; family board n’ all)

The kids all slept on the floor, we had another breakfast of crappy rubbery microwaved processed food and stale cereal, and then we checked out and filled up the van with gas.
And the smell of petrol in the morning would have been the highlight of that stint at the inn.

Let us never speak of the Super 8 motel chain again.
While you had access to the gas, you sould’a made them up a nice little Molotov going away gift.
(But then again, the local authorities might have frowned on such.)

Onward to bigger and better things.
Keep swinging for the fences. Anything would be an improvement on the proceeding thus far.

Such as Grand Teton National Park.
05300d190f01eab72dc55c9f8c2af41e-gif-of-the-day-darth-vaders-dinger.gif

The Teton mountain range was given its name by early 19th century French-speaking fur trappers who were both imaginative and extremely lonely
Nice bit of analysis, there. In its own way it sort’a goes well with your chapter’s opening quote…
or the second half of it at least.

Actually, that story is one I knew, but it still makes the twelve-year-old in me snicker just a bit.

Its creation was actually very similar to that of Walt Disney World in Florida.
This story, however, is one I’ve not heard.
Interesting… very interesting.

Many activists, conservationists and environmentalists had a keen interest in protecting the mountain range and surrounding Jackson Hole area, but a large portion of the residents did not trust the government (unlike today, of course)
I’d have never guessed that about the folks in that local.

So John D. Rockefeller was approached, being a wealthy philanthropist (key word: wealth)
And considering that key word, I’m honestly surprised he actually donated the land once he’d gotten control of it. Very surprised indeed.

It’s like being on the Tomorrowland Speedway without the thrill of banging into the center rail.
And you know how we all live for that center rail bump.
Talk about sucking every drop of fun out of something…

We wanted to see Mormon Row and catch it in the morning light.
mormon_back3.png

Wrong row?

Yep… That’s not the row that first came to mind.
I’d be more inclined to answer the door for that view.

A coyote wandered right on past them as they walked on the dirt road.
Looks like she was about the only person that saw it.
The critter don’t look too overly concerned about the fauna invading its domain.
Apparently coyote don’t rank tourists particularly high on either the cunning or threat scales.

It might be a cliché by now, but it’s one of my favorite photos of the entire vacation.
Do believe there are a whole lot more cliché bits of imagery being produced (mostly as selfies)
I certainly don’t have that picture in my family album.

Not long after, we climbed back into the van. Off in a distant field, we caught a glimpse of our first bison herd of the vacation.
There’s them there curls

Agreed…
Were there any stories about the design choice?

Seeing as the car club was now here in the parking lot, we hustled out the door so we’d get ahead of them on the roads. After all, why would you want to mosey on through a place of great beauty and nature when you could speed through in a cloud of dust?
I can see the logic.
Having a 17mph pace forcibly imposed on one would be supremely frustrating when one truly wishes to be traveling at a much more civilized and jauntier 23 miles per.

(with no one in front of you)

Sorry…
I was actually lookin’ at some of those sweet rides out in the parking lot.
You mind stepping out of the way, there; much appreciated.

That’s all there is to it. And so that was our plan for the day.
Sure beat’s my plan for this day…

My grandmother had fallen for it and kept asking if we’d be back for the moose feeding, and this became a running gag in our family for decades.
And those family jokes are the best kind.
The rest of the world may be scratchin’ their collective noggins, but they just makes those in the know bust out.

One of the early stops on Teton Park Road is the Chapel of the Transfiguration, which makes for both a quality photo stop and a place for quiet spiritual contemplation.
Contemplative indeed…

Here a man named Bill Menor made a living with a small shop and a ferry he used to take folks from one side of the Snake River to the other. It was attached to a cable that he would use to guide the boat across the river and also kept it from floating away.
OK, am I the only one who can’t help but immediately conjure up the image of a “Missouri Boat Ride” from reading this little bit here?

“Whooped ‘em again, Josey!”

The National Park Service was working on restoring a boat so that they could actually start re-enacting the ferry rides from time to time.
Just not quite like the one I’m thinkin’ of here, I s’pect.

Nice picture of you and drew, by the way (matchin’ plaid and all).
Now, which one of ya’ is actually walkin’ the other, there?

Let’s check on the view. Yep, still jaw-dropping.
And it’s still an understatement as well.

We stopped at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center in late morning
Bonus info for you to ignore time:
The lake is named for one Jenny Leigh, the wife of a prominent guide and trapper from the area.

Leigh Lake just to the north is named for the trapper in question.
And it’s probably a good thing that they chose to use Richard “Beaver Dick” Leigh’s last name rather than his more common moniker as the place holder for that particular bit o’ scenery, don’t you think?

(Hay, just facts straight from the NPS site… I didn’t even have to make that one up.)

We were late (I blame Super 8 and the car club)
I blame Super 8 for lots of stuff.
I think you should blame them for anything that goes awry on the remainder if the trip and on into the next TR as well. Heck, you might as well just start referring to any catastrophe as being a “Super 8”.

So in the end we decided against the hike, not without some regret.
Quite the dilemma there, but infernal back packs are a valid reason for discretion.
You’d have gotten half way out there and found yourself smack in the midst of a Super 8 Moment.

I guess we’ll have to come back.
We all need to go back there,
Even if it will be one’s first time, we all need to go back.

Don’t know…
He might also have enjoyed seeing Daddy suffer a bit.
Kids see humor in such.

We could still wander by the water and soak it all in. Well, not literally.
Y’all aren’t quit as absorbent as a roll of Brawny, I take it.

We…ah, let’s just say we liked the purty places.

IMG_0063.jpg
And that is a right purty spot, there.

Oh, and in answer to Scotty’s question…
Ships (or any other large engineered structure that moves rapidly), Space related anything, History, Star Wars and Marching Bands… Oh yeah, and Disney of course.

Oooooooo, nice one…
Compliments to the random stand-in photographer.
Just whack mister intrusive there on the right out of the shot and it might even be Crimma Card Purty

We stopped at the nearby Jackson Lake Lodge for a bathroom pit stop and to stretch our legs. Years ago, I remembered stopping here with my parents and getting milkshakes from the snack bar while enjoying the view out the massive picture windows of the lobby. We thought about doing something similar, but not at $7 a pop.
Could’a stopped at the local grocery and bought a box of Nutty Bubby’s for a couple bucks and recreated the moment on the cheap

(and before any of you Smart-alecks say anything, I’m talkin’ about the ice cream cones, not that other device which has laid clime to the same marketing name… and y’all know who you are, too. Sheese!... get them minds out the gutter.)

We circled back into the park entrance and headed to Menor’s Ferry again, where the kids could do a Junior Ranger program and finish off their badge requirements. This turned out to be a blessing, because our kids were the only ones there, so they got a private ranger talk.
One on one time with a teacher is always a win.

This is where we learned the story about the park’s history that I related to Disney World in a shameless attempt to keep you interested earlier.
Shameless?
Ehhh… you’re in good company on that account.

Once the kids had their badges, we drove back to Jackson for dinner.
How many of them “Stinkin’ Badges” have they collected up over time?
You might want to consider mounting them as a collection some time. I guarantee you, that would be an uncommon display and a great starter of conversations as they get older.

Wait! Did you say dinner?
“Never mind, that ****, Mongo’s coming!”…. Errr… I mean: what’s on the menu?

Alas, there was no western show to accompany the food this time.
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

But the food looked promising. I’d seen the Snake River Brewing Company on the Travel Channel a couple of years back and had evidently thought it looked interesting enough to remember it now.
Seems like that one is sparking a couple dead cells in my withered brain as well…
Do continue.

There must be something with Wyoming and stickers, because you can see the fermenting tank to the left was just covered in “souvenirs”.
So in this region, governance is an abomination but vandalism is encouraged…
Should’a gone back and thrown that Molotov I suggested at the Super 8 then.

I found one right away that let me know I was in the right place.
The Carnivores Creed.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…
My brother would’a done the same.

But then again, if the stuff was worth a dang, I’d have to try it just out’a spite.

This was Wyoming, and they had a bison burger on the menu. As they say…When in Wyoming, eat the buffalo. Or something like that.
Pretty sure even the state’s flag is devoted to this sentiment.
Or something like that.

it’s a very subtle difference if any.
Over cook it, even a little bit, and you’ll notice a difference though.
The words shoe and leather come to mind in that instance.

Along the way, we passed the famous elk antler arches at the Jackson town square.
That’s a lot of bone.
I’d like to think those were mostly collected rather than harvested…
paints a better mental image.

The late sun now offered a different, but no less stunning light on the mountain range.

IMG_0098.jpg
Looks like them ‘Purple Mountains’ everyone’s always on about in that there song.

Apparently buffalo is actually an incorrect term for these animals, not that it stopped us from using it.
You nor anyone else.
“North American Bison Bill Cody” just ain’t gonn’a cut it with the masses.

Just a word of caution: stay in your car when viewing these guys up close.
Or you may find yourself singing the State Farm jingle for reals.

Every year, there are a few deaths or serious injuries in National Parks because some idiots decide they need to take selfies with a bison from 4 feet away.
Isn’t it a mite redundant to write both the words idiot and selfie in the same sentence?

No selfie is worth your life.
Do the selfie obsessed actually have lives?

So we parked and waited.

IMG_0119.jpg
“Seen one gorgeous landscape… seen ‘em all.”

Not even three and already you’ve spoiled him for the regular day to day life of the rest of us.

Almost…

Wait, was that a pelican?
Surely not, must have been a stork or a crane.
What would a pelican be doin’ in Wyoming? (and don’t call him Shirley)

Well, you win some, you lose some.
Really don’t see how any part of this day could be counted up as a loss.
(once you’d left the Super 8 that is)

We hung out for quite a while, providing a nice snack for the mosquitoes
OK, that’s not what you’d call a win per say, but still…

As it would turn out, the single moose we’d seen in Rocky Mountain N.P. was the only moose we’d see on this trip.
But you did see one.

We were moving on to the next park…and a much more spectacular place to stay.
kermit.gif

I’ll save that for the next chapter.
david-tennant-in-the-rain.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter