Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Priorities:
1. Food.
2. Everything else.

Oh, no. You're forgetting... uh... um... Oh! I know! What about.... uh...

Yeah. Food first.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Hey, pull my finger!

Okay! What happens n.... ewww... that's horrible! What did you eat???

And all welcome! Well, unless the dead turn out to be zombies. And I'm not a wine drinker. The Red Sea is all the way on the other side of the world...

Well, better eat more cinnamon rolls.

::yes::

Well, that was the problem for me. I think it had been overhyped so that by the time I actually tried it, I was expecting an experience to redefine my understanding of the cheeseburger itself. Instead, manage your expectations. It's good for fast food.

I'll keep that in mind.
Will try it though so I can have a frame of reference.

Well, I hope so. I've given him plenty of money over the years.

That's what family's for.

No, that's our perpetual state.

Ah. Of course. Silly me.

Did I lay on that foreshadowing a little thick?

Nope. Not at all! :rolleyes2

Why, yes! Yes he did. ;)

And they all lived happily ever after. In Crapistan.

I must have had the Cliffs Notes version.

IMG_0315.jpg

That's why this time around I went for the A.S. (N) degree. (Acceptable Salary is Nice degree)

I wish I had one of those!

Agreed!! :hyper2:

Now, onto your commentary on genders and trains: I happened to be a major train geek and would go well out of my way to see some historic trains like that. They are VERY cool and those in particular were very well restored! Were they originals or just replicas? Anyway, loved that!

I wasn't saying women couldn't be train geeks, I was just saying that I've never met a man who wasn't fascinated by trains. I believe these were replicas, albeit very lovingly constructed and maintained replicas. Very neat to see.

I was also wondering if any extra pillows happened to mysteriously make their way to your car along with the cinnamon rolls. I'm starting to worry about your stories....

Crap, they're onto us!

Nice to get on the computer at 5 in the morning and find the DIS open for business. Good Morning!

Well, hello there.

So, I have to be honest. I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Anaheim in January, and I'm reeeeeeeally hoping they'll have cinnamon rolls. I keep telling myself it will be okay if they don't, but you've gotten me all excited. Especially since I'm not a big breakfast person anyway, so generally live off pastries.

And here I thought they all had them. I've never stayed at one that didn't have cinnamon rolls.

You know, somehow I never quite put together "Salt Lake" until now. But it does make sense.

Did you know you can't sink in the Great Salt Lake?

So from your previous post, I expected this to be home of the salt flats. And expected a post to follow about testing land speed records in the minivan. Not that the golden spike isn't cool, but, you know......salt flats.

Well, I would have loved to test land speed records with my rental, but as you know, I always strictly follow the rental agreement everywhere I go.:rolleyes1

Ladies and gentlemen, every battlefield in the South. Summed up.

Well...you're not wrong.

For a moment I wondered why they didn't leave it in the ground, until I realized, duh, gold. They'd probably have to replace it on a daily basis.

If no one else had grabbed it, I would have for sure.

Ah, run of house rooms. Gotta love 'em. My mom did this in the Hilton Indianapolis when we went to run the half marathon there. On the plus side, when we got there they upgraded us to a suite for a VERY good price. The bathroom was as large as some hotel rooms I've seen. And one day there was a grand piano just chillin' in the hallway. I felt swanky.

I would have asked for an upgrade, but it was a Super 8, so...

That goes without saying.

And a weed eater motor rigged up to the slightly more beefed up axle you'd have to add anyway to handle the weight of those tires would help with those uphill climbs.

He just keeps earning his free ride on those trails...

Only six? There's more than that in a tray, right?

Well, we didn't want to be greedy or anything.:rolleyes1

I bet you wish you could have done that with the drive.

"Let's just skip the drive and fast forward to lunch!"

::yes:: Truer words were never spoken.

At least they're consistent.

And consistently pretty good.

Well, it could be kind of interesting. I mean there are trains involved. And politics back then can't be as screwed up as they are now.

Right???

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again
there is nothing new under the sun.

--Ecclesiastes 1:9

So... you drove 30 miles out of the way, just to take a picture of vanilla wafers over your eyes to send to your parents?

You'll go to any length for a decent gag, won't you?

Well...yeah.

I glossed over the history of the site, but it is important. Not enough to spend 2 hours on railroads and worker conditions, but important to the country. Also, trains.

Heck, 10 miles seems pretty impressive to me by today's standards. Even with all the equipment they have now it takes a while. We put in a new rail yard where I work about 3 years ago. It was far less than 10 miles of rail and it took exponentially longer than a day for them to do it!

I don't think these guys had labor unions to worry about.:rolleyes1

And the detour was worthwhile.

I don't know... I've stayed at a few Super 8's over the years and I'd say with most of them, you're probably lucky to check off 2 out of 3 of those boxes. :rolleyes1

Scotty wrote a report for school about his summer vacation. He wrote, "Super 8 hotels are NOT super.":rotfl:

Don't mistake my laziness for deviousness.
It's mostly laziness.

My brother from another mother!:thumbsup2

Oh, I dunno. My cousin Frank Stein seems to have come out okay.

Just some anger management issues.

Oh, no. You're forgetting... uh... um... Oh! I know! What about.... uh...

Yeah. Food first.

When is dinner, anyway?

Okay! What happens n.... ewww... that's horrible! What did you eat???

Sorry. Taco Bell.

I'll keep that in mind.
Will try it though so I can have a frame of reference.

Definitely worth trying, just to say you've been there! And I'm not down on the place. I just don't think it's the world's greatest burger.

That's what family's for.

Um...forget that brother thing above.:rotfl2:

Ah. Of course. Silly me.

Happens all the time.

Nope. Not at all! :rolleyes2

I've never been accused of being subtle.

And they all lived happily ever after. In Crapistan.

We've just traded one Crapistan for another. Just has another name: Nursing School.

I must have had the Cliffs Notes version.

And therein lies the problem.

I wish I had one of those!

You too can live 2 years of Hell.... Available at a Community College near you!

I wasn't saying women couldn't be train geeks, I was just saying that I've never met a man who wasn't fascinated by trains. I believe these were replicas, albeit very lovingly constructed and maintained replicas. Very neat to see.

Speaking of which, know any good reviews on the Train Tour? I may surprise Zach with a train tour on the trip.

Crap, they're onto us!

Well, that didn't take long! Run awayyyy....!!!

All caught up Cap'n. Wow, you're really making me want to travel out and visit Arches National Park. I could probably do without the Golden Spike park however, since you posted a picture and all. ;)

We've just traded one Crapistan for another. Just has another name: Nursing School.

At least you have better toilet paper now.

And therein lies the problem.

It's a trick question. There's no manual because it would be constantly changing!

You too can live 2 years of Hell.... Available at a Community College near you!

Well, when you put it that way...

Speaking of which, know any good reviews on the Train Tour? I may surprise Zach with a train tour on the trip.

I think one of the DIS Dads did that tour recently and enjoyed it, but I don't have any specifics on it. That being said, I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about the tours Disney offers in general. I wouldn't hesitate to go. In fact, I'm considering doing it with my boys next time we go as a family.

Well, that didn't take long! Run awayyyy....!!!

Now go away or I shall taunt you for a second time!

Trains are cool. As are toddlers who are quick on the draw.

Yes to both!

Burp

A while ago.

Dang it. Now I'm hungry again.

Well, that would explain it!!

Taco Bell = Liquid Plumber for your stomach.

Of course not. That's at VJs here in Winnipeg.

Uh oh. Now I'm going to have to visit Winnipeg. I'll go a long way for a good burger.

All caught up Cap'n. Wow, you're really making me want to travel out and visit Arches National Park. I could probably do without the Golden Spike park however, since you posted a picture and all. ;)

Are you sure? I don't know if that really captures the full experience.

Looks like a good day. Cinnamon rolls set the tone, right?
It is funny how excited little boys get about trains :goodvibes, or trucks, or earth movers...
I guess a gold spike is a gold spike

Now you are one state away from home. Ours. Thanks for posting the Idaho sign, it got me excited as we are heading there next week to spend Thanksgiving with my parents, brother and Ryan and fam!!!!!:dancer:

At least you have better toilet paper now.

Actually, there's a story about that. About 2 months ago, I found a "deal" on TP; they looked like good solid rolls. Got it home and I'm sitting there "comtemplating" in the usual way, only to have my first go at it... and find that wiping with the Volume Set of Lenin left in our outhouse was better. Serioulsy, this is 1-ply crap (and not really good for that) that is taking us a while to get through, because I keep going out and getting my regular brand. (<<-- lol, see what I did there?) So, no, for a while, I didn't have better TP.

It's a trick question. There's no manual because it would be constantly changing!

It's our super power.

Well, when you put it that way...

You don't know what you're missing!

I think one of the DIS Dads did that tour recently and enjoyed it, but I don't have any specifics on it. That being said, I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about the tours Disney offers in general. I wouldn't hesitate to go. In fact, I'm considering doing it with my boys next time we go as a family.

I think it's something we can add last-minute-ish. We'll see how the money train (no pun intended, but it works nicely) blows its whistle.

Now go away or I shall taunt you for a second time!

Fine. Be that way.

Looks like a good day. Cinnamon rolls set the tone, right?

Any day that starts with cinnamon rolls is a good day!

It is funny how excited little boys get about trains :goodvibes, or trucks, or earth movers...

Big boys can get excited about those things, too. Because they're awesome.

I guess a gold spike is a gold spike

Who couldn't use a gold spike?

Now you are one state away from home. Ours. Thanks for posting the Idaho sign, it got me excited as we are heading there next week to spend Thanksgiving with my parents, brother and Ryan and fam!!!!!:dancer:

Hooray! Have a great time!

Actually, there's a story about that. About 2 months ago, I found a "deal" on TP; they looked like good solid rolls. Got it home and I'm sitting there "comtemplating" in the usual way, only to have my first go at it... and find that wiping with the Volume Set of Lenin left in our outhouse was better. Serioulsy, this is 1-ply crap (and not really good for that) that is taking us a while to get through, because I keep going out and getting my regular brand. (<<-- lol, see what I did there?) So, no, for a while, I didn't have better TP.

You know what I like about you? You're a regular gal.:rotfl2:

Anyway, next time let me know if you have cruddy toilet paper. I can send you my wife's old Nicholas Sparks novels.:rotfl:

It's our super power.

And my kryptonite!

I think it's something we can add last-minute-ish. We'll see how the money train (no pun intended, but it works nicely) blows its whistle.

Honestly, I'm quite interested in that tour myself. Seeing the storage area for the monorails would be cool.

Fine. Be that way.

Sorry. I'm always this way.

Chapter 13: Two Words: La-va!

You don’t go to the Super 8 for luxury. You go there to save a buck or two, and I knew that going in. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. So when you pay for cheap accommodations, you get cheap accommodations. The Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls were fresh, big, warm and gooey. Super 8 had cinnamon rolls, too. They were individually shrink-wrapped with suggested times to warm them in the microwave.

Thankfully, microwaving processed food is within my skill set, so we didn’t go hungry that morning.

We met up with our friends again and set off on about a 90-minute drive west through the Snake River Plain to Craters of the Moon National Monument.

IMG_9845.jpg

Craters of the Moon was designated a National Monument in 1924 in order to protect its unique volcanic landscape. You know, from all of those famous Idaho volcanoes.

It’s a weird experience to enter the park. We’d been driving through flat farmland—I mean Delaware flat. No distinguishing features of any kind. Then, all of a sudden, you’re surrounded by lava fields. These lava flows were formed between 15,000 and 2,000 years ago as part of the Great Rift volcanic zone—basically a weak, thin spot in the earth’s crust. Repeated lava flows breached this part of the surface, thus creating the landscape we have today.

As it turned out, late June was the perfect time to visit. We’d arrived during peak wildflower season. It was such an otherworldly sight to see these tiny bursts of color popping out all over such a barren landscape. I’ve love to take credit for planning the timing just so, but sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

Our first stop gave us the opportunity to climb a tall volcanic crater and get a view of the landscape, and since there’s nothing we like better than long, difficult climbs, we decided to take it on. But first, I got waylaid by the paparazzi. It’s just one of those things you have to deal with from time to time when you’re young, dashingly good-looking, and charming. No matter how far away from civilization you get, it seems like they always find you. So it’s best to just give a few moments of your time, satisfy the legions of fans out there, and then move on with your day.

IMG_9867.jpg

Ok, I know from experience none of you are buying that story. And really, the most photogenic person there was Baby Drew. This reporter was doing a series on things to see in Idaho and asking for some people to give some quotes on camera, so I obliged him. I even found the story online later, and I think I managed to come off sounding reasonably intelligent.

Ok, would you believe halfway intelligent?

How about fully capable of stringing several words together?

Moving on, we started our climb. My friends and family were clearly amazed at my public relations skills.

IMG_9868.jpg

I can hear them now: “Wow, Baby Drew, you were great!” “Drew, you did so well! What a cutie!”

Several minutes later, we were all gasping for breath once again, but we’d managed to reach the top. There, with the Idaho plains stretched before us, we decided it was finally time to declare this place Pride Rock.

IMG_9872.jpg

We wandered for a bit, and Drew found a little crevice to play in that seemed to be built just for him.

IMG_9881.jpg

Soon we were back in the van and heading to the main draw of the park: the chance to hike through lava tubes.

This was not our first encounter with a lava tube, as you might recall from our visit to Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii a couple of years ago. And if you don’t, shame on you! I expect you to have my Trip Reports memorized by now. Anyway, lava tubes are formed by underground lava flows that eventually run dry. Once the lava is gone, the channel it carved through the rock cools, hardens, and forms an underground tunnel. These are discovered over time as weather, plate tectonics, and the effects of time cause pieces to collapse here and there. Then idiots like me who ignore the word “collapse” in that previous sentence get the bright idea to hike through them.

So we did. And it was really cool.

IMG_9896.jpg

And yes, we put sunscreen in Drew’s hair again.

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9906.jpg

I knew I should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

IMG_9912.jpg

I’m not sure what the point of this was, other than Julie wanted to play with the camera.

IMG_9918.jpg

We found a picnic area nearby and got back on the peanut butter-and-jelly wagon for lunch. Everyone pretended to be happy about it.

IMG_9930.jpg

Once lunch was over, we said goodbye to our friends and thanked them for being gracious hosts as we visited their home state. They thanked us for leaving and told us not to let the door hit us on the way out.

I mean, they told us they couldn’t wait to travel east and let us return the favor! Yeah, that was it.

Before we left, though, my friend gave me one more piece of advice. We were headed into Wyoming, right through the dangerous and notorious Teton Pass. There was only one thing we could do to ward off danger and make the journey safely.

We needed to try square ice cream.

IMG_9935.jpg

It’s a lonely drive from Idaho to Wyoming, but along the way there’s a crossroads that barely qualifies as a town. And in this “town”, the Rainey Creek convenience store has been serving “square” ice cream for decades. They use a special ice cream scoop that gives the scoop a square shape.

IMG_9933.jpg

I’m happy to report that this makes absolutely no difference in the taste of ice cream whatsoever. Which is good, because ice cream wasn’t broken and didn’t need to be fixed. But it was worthy of a stop because: a) it broke up the drive, b) now we can say we ate “square” ice cream, and c) it was ice cream.

Onwards and upwards, and we soon were entering the Teton mountain range and destroying our gas mileage as we climbed. Remember those 98.0 mpg readings we got when descending Pikes Peak? Now we were at 5.0 mpg. Still, we pushed on through like the explorers of old, only with a gas-powered engine, climate-controlled surroundings, a portable DVD player, and Cheetos. But otherwise exactly like the pioneers. And we entered the next state on our agenda. No, pkondz, not confusion.

IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

Jackson Hole is the name given to the valley that lies between the Teton and Gros Ventre mountain ranges in northwestern Wyoming, named for a beaver trapper, David Jackson, who was the first white man to spend an entire winter here. The town of Jackson is the central commerce area and has grown considerably as the tourist’s base of operations for visiting the various attractions in the area.

Needless to say, that means summer is high tourist season and all of the hotel rates are insanely expensive. I would have loved to stay in the Hampton Inn, for example, but they were asking for $300/night. I love Hampton Inns, but they’re not worth $300/night.

So, it was Priceline to the rescue again as I got a room at the Super 8 of Jackson. However, I was a little leery as to what we’d be getting, since we’d already survived one not-so-Super 8 experience. We arrived at the front desk around 4:30 p.m. This time I knew what to expect, so when I checked in I asked if we had been assigned a room with one or two beds.

“This room only has one bed,” the clerk answered. I was proud of myself, having saved myself a trip to the desk to ask for a new room. So I asked if she could move us to a room with two beds instead.

“I’m sorry, I just sold the last available room,” she said.

Crap.

Maybe I should have paid for the Hampton Inn. Hey kids, not only do you get a crappy hotel for the night, but you get to sleep on the floor!

And yes, I could certainly have slept on the floor instead. But I don’t know that I would have been able to walk the next morning. The kids are young, resilient, and will recover. I’m old and frail and have to drive the van 8 hours a day. And by the way, this family is not a democracy.

Well, we moved our luggage into the room and confirmed our fears. On the plus side, there was a good deal of floor space available. Here ends the plus side.

On the downside, we were in a Super 8.

We needed something to cheer us up. Thankfully, we had a fancy dinner to look forward to.

Julie and I were close to celebrating our 17th anniversary. Our actual anniversary date wouldn’t be for another couple of days, when we were in Yellowstone. But when I was looking for a way to do something special to celebrate, it became apparent that the dining options in Yellowstone were extremely limited. Even the “fancy” restaurants in the lodges didn’t get great reviews. So we did some research and asked around, and settled on having our fancy special anniversary celebration dinner a couple of nights early while we were in Jackson.

We have high standards for our anniversary celebrations. A couple of years ago I had treated Julie to a meal followed by a view of a sunset on a beach in Maui. Thankfully, there was no shortage of fine dining options in Jackson. There were steakhouses, seafood restaurants, Italian places, all with white linens and top-of-the-line service ready to give us the meal of our lives.

So I ignored them all and made a reservation for a dinner served on a tin plate in the company of 800 other people.

Friends of ours had recommended the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner and show. This event runs nightly during the summer months and has been in operation for decades. It’s basically a family ranch that has made their money through raising cattle and turned the dinner/show into a lucrative side business (that may now be the main business).

IMG_9946.jpg

The doors open at 5:30 and dinner is served at 7:00 p.m., but the line starts sooner and seat assignments are first-come, first-served. You can line up anytime outside and wait for the doors to open. We didn’t get there until about 5:15 or so, but while there were several dozen people ahead of us in line it didn’t seem that bad. We ended up getting assigned table 6, meaning we were 6 rows from the stage. Not bad at all.

The family that runs the ranch does everything—they take your tickets and dinner order, cook your meals, run the shops, serve the dinner, and put on the show. They’re nothing if not hard workers.

With an hour and a half to kill, we mostly wandered the grounds. Julie took the boys on a carriage ride.

IMG_9953.jpg

They got an up close look at the Vomiting Bear statue.

IMG_9954.jpg

Meanwhile, Sarah and I mostly just hung around and periodically checked on the progress of our dinner.

IMG_9957.jpg

Your choices include bbq beef, chicken, a combo of both, ribs or if you want to pay a little extra, steak. Given that this was our fancy anniversary meal, I went with the steak. Julie got the combo of beef and chicken. She and many others were the recipient of some stinkeye from one of the performers, as he wondered several times why you’d visit a cattle ranch just to order chicken for dinner.

Anyway, once you paid for your meal you were assigned a ticket.

IMG_9961.jpg

At 7:00 p.m., they rang the dinner bell and gave instructions. We had over 800 people in the building and the family proudly announced that they’d have everyone served and seated within 20 minutes. We learned where to line up, where to grab our fancy tin plates, and most importantly to make sure we grabbed the nicely-wrapped up silverware which conveniently fit right in your back pocket (or, as they made sure to mention, the back pocket of the person in front of you).

Then we went through the line and were served a baked potato, beans, applesauce, cornbread, and a piece of spice cake for dessert. They even instructed us to make sure we spun the plate to hold it under the applesauce because the other portions would get too hot to handle once served. After receiving those portions we would split up depending on the meat we ordered and trade our tickets for the main course. Last station was the lemonade/coffee station where your drink would be waiting.

They were true to their word and everyone was served within 20 minutes.

Here’s Sarah’s plate. Both ladies reported that the BBQ beef was exceptional.

IMG_9962.jpg

And my steak. Also fantastic. Everything tasted great.

IMG_9963.jpg

After an hour for dinner or so, the show began. It consisted of 5 musicians, four of them also singing, as they played cowboy songs into the night. I’ve been to many concerts in my life and I don’t know if I can name many that I enjoyed more than this one. I can’t say I’m a big country/western music fan, although it doesn’t make me run screaming from the room either. But I could have listened to these guys all night. Their skill was jaw-dropping. They said their fiddler was 7-time Wyoming Fiddlin’ champion and 2-time National Champion.

IMG_9968.jpg

This guy played four different instruments on the same song: flattop guitar, steel guitar, regular guitar, and banjo. I couldn’t believe how fast his hands were as he picked out the tunes.

IMG_9969.jpg

The singing was excellent—really tight harmonies. One of the singers had a voice low enough to plumb the depths of the Marianas Trench. And for the piece that really put it over the top? Corny jokes. All. Night. Long.

One man arranged for the band to give his wife an anniversary gift. They asked her why marriage was like a pool of hot water. She had no idea.

Because after you’ve been in it for a while, you get used to it, and you realize it ain’t so hot anymore.

At one point, one of the band members dressed up as Granny and proceeded to regale us with the mythical story of Rindercella. Granny has a problem mixing up her consonants, but proceeded for a good 10-15 minutes to tell us the riveting story. The moral? Don’t slop your drippers, of course!

Ok, so maybe you had to be there. All I know is, the food was great, the music was great, and we laughed a lot. I would be hard-pressed to name a time when our money was better spent. We had a fine evening, everyone loved it, and I am proud to award the Bar J Chuckwagon a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

And then we ruined all that goodwill by making the kids sleep on the floor of a Super 8. It builds character, kids. It builds character.

Coming Up Next: Northwestern Wyoming is one of my favorite places I’ve ever visited. Starting with the next chapter, you’ll see why.

You don’t go to the Super 8 for luxury.

What???
That's not what my cousin (who also happens to be my uncle... and half brother...(on my wife's side)) Cletus said!
He said it was pretty high falutin'! With indoor outhouses an' ever'thang!

But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

<sigh> Yeah.

The Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls were fresh, big, warm and gooey. Super 8 had cinnamon rolls, too. They were individually shrink-wrapped with suggested times to warm them in the microwave.

Oh, man. Does that ever sound familiar.
13 years ago.
Days Inn.
cello wrapped stale donuts.

'Nuff said.

Craters of the Moon was designated a National Monument in 1924 in order to protect its unique volcanic landscape. You know, from all of those famous Idaho volcanoes.

Hey. It could happen.

Actually, I wonder how many people thought Mt. St. Helens could happen? Until it did.

These lava flows were formed between 15,000 and 2,000 years ago

That recent? Huh!

As it turned out, late June was the perfect time to visit. We’d arrived during peak wildflower season. It was such an otherworldly sight to see these tiny bursts of color popping out all over such a barren landscape.

Cool! Reminds me of the far north, actually.
Although the ground is a more solid igneous and not lava.
Still, flowers suddenly popping out of what looks like unsuportive ground is cool.

Nice. You can really see the volcanic rock too.

Our first stop gave us the opportunity to climb a tall volcanic crater and get a view of the landscape, and since there’s nothing we like better than long, difficult climbs, we decided to take it on.

This no longer surprises me.
Sucker for beautivul vistas and punishment all rolled up into one.

But first, I got waylaid by the paparazzi. It’s just one of those things you have to deal with from time to time when you’re young, dashingly good-looking, and charming.

And being carried by your dad.
Sure. Understandable.

This is what struck me here.
1. "Hey! He's on TV!"
2. Where's the cameraman?
3. It used to be a reporter, a cameraman and a sound man.
4. Heck. I bet it used to be that plus a lighting guy.

And really, the most photogenic person there was Baby Drew.

Stop stealing my lines.

Well.....

Ok, would you believe halfway intelligent?

Er.....

Keep going! You've almost got it!

Moving on, we started our climb. My friends and family were clearly amazed at my public relations skills.

I can hear them now: “Wow, Baby Drew, you were great!” “Drew, you did so well! What a cutie!”

I just said "Stop stealing my lines"!
If you're going to keep insulting yourself, that leaves nothing for the rest of us to do!

There, with the Idaho plains stretched before us, we decided it was finally time to declare this place Pride Rock.

IMG_9872.jpg

:laughing: Perfect!

I expect you to have my Trip Reports memorized by now.

Nope. Didn't know you then.

Funny. I was happier then, too.

Huh.

These are discovered over time as weather, plate tectonics, and the effects of time cause pieces to collapse here and there. Then idiots like me who ignore the word “collapse” in that previous sentence get the bright idea to hike through them.

:lmao:

So we did. And it was really cool.

That does sound cool.
I've heard of lava tubes for... well, decades now.
But I've never even seen one, let alone explored one.

That really is cool, dude.

And yes, we put sunscreen in Drew’s hair again.

Ya know, if you'd said "The wind builds up and howls out of these tubes." I would've believed you.
"Wow! Look at what the wind's doing to Drew's hair!"

I knew I should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

Yeah, what's up with that, Doc?

I’m not sure what the point of this was, other than Julie wanted to play with the camera.

IMG_9918.jpg

Oh, to be young again...
It looks like she's practicing leaping between tall buildings.
Perhaps for a future Matrix reboot?

Nice family shot!
But I note that you mention lava tubes and Hawaii and.... I see a Hawaii shirt!

Once lunch was over, we said goodbye to our friends and thanked them for being gracious hosts as we visited their home state. They thanked us for leaving and told us not to let the door hit us on the way out.

:laughing: I bet!

They use a special ice cream scoop that gives the scoop a square shape.

And now it's (semi) famous.
And all because....
"Herman! We need something to get them tourists to stop in here."
"Well, Ethel... how 'bout some ice cream?"
"Good idea! But we don't go nuttin' to scoops it with!"
"Well, I got this here square scoop. We could use this until we get a better one..."

I'm almost positive it was born out of necessity and not on purpose.

But it was worthy of a stop because: a) it broke up the drive, b) now we can say we ate “square” ice cream, and c) it was ice cream.

And also... ice cream.

Remember those 98.0 mpg readings we got when descending Pikes Peak?

Now we were at 5.0 mpg. Still, we pushed on through like the explorers of old

If you keep getting 5mpg, the word "pushed" will take on a whole new meaning.

And we entered the next state on our agenda. No, pkondz, not confusion.

Do you really think it's wise to be in a state of inebriation in front of the chilluns?

Now that's just rude! This is a family board you know!
"F the Old West" indeed!

Jackson Hole is the name given to the valley that lies between the Teton and Gros Ventre mountain ranges in northwestern Wyoming, named for a beaver trapper, David Jackson, who was the first white man to spend an entire winter here.

Interesting.

I would have loved to stay in the Hampton Inn, for example, but they were asking for $300/night.

:eek:

So, it was Priceline to the rescue again as I got a room at the Super 8 of Jackson.

And Priceline does state that it only guarantees one bed.

“This room only has one bed,” the clerk answered. I was proud of myself, having saved myself a trip to the desk to ask for a new room. So I asked if she could move us to a room with two beds instead.

“I’m sorry, I just sold the last available room,” she said.

D'oh!

And yes, I could certainly have slept on the floor instead. But I don’t know that I would have been able to walk the next morning. The kids are young, resilient, and will recover.

::yes:: Yep. I can do it.... but I ain't gonna like it.

And by the way, this family is not a democracy.

Good for you!

I mean that.

Friends of ours had recommended the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner and show. This event runs nightly during the summer months and has been in operation for decades. It’s basically a family ranch that has made their money through raising cattle and turned the dinner/show into a lucrative side business (that may now be the main business).

Sounds cool!

Julie took the boys on a carriage ride.

Sarah too old? Or just wanted to hang with her old man?

They got an up close look at the Vomiting Bear statue.

:laughing: I guess that's why the moose looks perturbed.

She and many others were the recipient of some stinkeye from one of the performers, as he wondered several times why you’d visit a cattle ranch just to order chicken for dinner.

:laughing: Good! "You don't go to a steak house and order fish" is something I've said on more than one occasion.

At 7:00 p.m., they rang the dinner bell

You could've stopped right there and I've got a grin on my face.

and most importantly to make sure we grabbed the nicely-wrapped up silverware which conveniently fit right in your back pocket (or, as they made sure to mention, the back pocket of the person in front of you).

:laughing:

They even instructed us to make sure we spun the plate to hold it under the applesauce because the other portions would get too hot to handle once served.

OMG. So simple. So obvious.

I'm so stupid.

:sad2:

Their skill was jaw-dropping. They said their fiddler was 7-time Wyoming Fiddlin’ champion and 2-time National Champion.

That's really cool.

One man arranged for the band to give his wife an anniversary gift. They asked her why marriage was like a pool of hot water. She had no idea.

Because after you’ve been in it for a while, you get used to it, and you realize it ain’t so hot anymore.

:lmao:

The moral? Don’t slop your drippers, of course!

All I know is, the food was great, the music was great, and we laughed a lot. I would be hard-pressed to name a time when our money was better spent. We had a fine evening, everyone loved it, and I am proud to award the Bar J Chuckwagon a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

Well, gotta put this on my list of things to see/do.

Northwestern Wyoming is one of my favorite places I’ve ever visited. Starting with the next chapter, you’ll see why.

You know, Mark. This TR just keeps getting better and better.
Looking forward to more.

Chapter 13: Two Words: La-va!

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_9957.jpg

At one point, one of the band members dressed up as Granny and proceeded to regale us with the mythical story of Rindercella.
Coming Up Next: Northwestern Wyoming is one of my favorite places I’ve ever visited. Starting with the next chapter, you’ll see why.

Family time, ice cream, vomiting bear statues, meat and Rindercella. Doesn't get much better than that.

Archie Campbell was the first I ever heard do Rindercella on Hee-Haw. Saturday night entertainment when I was growing up.

You know what I like about you? You're a regular gal.:rotfl2:

Anyway, next time let me know if you have cruddy toilet paper. I can send you my wife's old Nicholas Sparks novels.:rotfl:

I swear sometimes I'd probably have more fun on the DISDads threads.

Oh well, Laments of TP work well here too. I"ve never read a Nicholas Sparks book, so I could kill 2 birds with 2 pages with those...

Honestly, I'm quite interested in that tour myself. Seeing the storage area for the monorails would be cool.

Yes it would!!

Sorry. I'm always this way.

I know.

Yes, let's go with Door #3.

But I could have listened to these guys all night. Their skill was jaw-dropping. They said their fiddler was 7-time Wyoming Fiddlin’ champion and 2-time National Champion.

Sounds like my evening at the Opry. You could probably hate Country, but I DEFY you to not acknowledge true talent right there.

What???
That's not what my cousin (who also happens to be my uncle... and half brother...(on my wife's side)) Cletus said!
He said it was pretty high falutin'! With indoor outhouses an' ever'thang!

I love it here. Your house is always in the same place and you don't got to go outside to use the bathroom.

Oh, man. Does that ever sound familiar.
13 years ago.
Days Inn.
cello wrapped stale donuts.

'Nuff said.

Bleh. You finish the "free" breakfast and immediately start looking for a donut shop.

Hey. It could happen.

Actually, I wonder how many people thought Mt. St. Helens could happen? Until it did

And eventually it will happen again! There's a scary thought. And just wait till I start talking about Yellowstone.

That recent? Huh!

Yep. Pretty cool.

Cool! Reminds me of the far north, actually.
Although the ground is a more solid igneous and not lava.
Still, flowers suddenly popping out of what looks like unsuportive ground is cool.

Agreed. I found it fascinating in Hawaii. Life finds a way.

Nice. You can really see the volcanic rock too.

Yeah, it makes you wonder how anything could survive in that. Yet it does.

This no longer surprises me.
Sucker for beautivul vistas and punishment all rolled up into one.

If I could find an easier way to see these views, believe me, I'd do it. Seems like the best rewards always involve a good deal of work.

And being carried by your dad.
Sure. Understandable.

He doesn't know how good he has it!

This is what struck me here.
1. "Hey! He's on TV!"
2. Where's the cameraman?
3. It used to be a reporter, a cameraman and a sound man.
4. Heck. I bet it used to be that plus a lighting guy.

Yep. Budget cuts, I guess.

Stop stealing my lines.

Well.....

Keep going! You've almost got it!

I just said "Stop stealing my lines"!
If you're going to keep insulting yourself, that leaves nothing for the rest of us to do!

Ok, I'm willing to bet you do this too. When you write your TR chapters, isn't there always a voice in the back of your head saying, "Ok, how are my smart-a$$ readers going to make fun of me for this?" And then you try to beat them to the punch. I'm all for you guys giving me a hard time, but I'm going to make you work for it.:rotfl:

Nope. Didn't know you then.

Funny. I was happier then, too.

Huh.

See, that was a quality jab right there. I'm just helping you up your game.:rotfl2:

That does sound cool.
I've heard of lava tubes for... well, decades now.
But I've never even seen one, let alone explored one.

That really is cool, dude.

It's awesome! This was the one in Volcanoes National Park. Reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark! (without the big boulder)

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Ya know, if you'd said "The wind builds up and howls out of these tubes." I would've believed you.
"Wow! Look at what the wind's doing to Drew's hair!"

Dang it! I need to come up with better stories for these photos.

Yeah, what's up with that, Doc?

Oh, a wiseguy, eh? +1:thumbsup2

Oh, to be young again...
It looks like she's practicing leaping between tall buildings.
Perhaps for a future Matrix reboot?

If you listen you can almost hear that Bionic Woman slo-mo sound in the background.

Nice family shot!
But I note that you mention lava tubes and Hawaii and.... I see a Hawaii shirt!

::yes:: Having the state fish of Hawaii on a shirt fits Scotty, doesn't it?

And now it's (semi) famous.
And all because....
"Herman! We need something to get them tourists to stop in here."
"Well, Ethel... how 'bout some ice cream?"
"Good idea! But we don't go nuttin' to scoops it with!"
"Well, I got this here square scoop. We could use this until we get a better one..."

I'm almost positive it was born out of necessity and not on purpose.

It makes too much sense to have happened any other way.

And also... ice cream.

Pretty much all the justification you need.

If you keep getting 5mpg, the word "pushed" will take on a whole new meaning.

Well, it'll be about time the kids earn their keep around here.

Do you really think it's wise to be in a state of inebriation in front of the chilluns?

Ah, alcohol. The cause of--and solution to--all of life's problems.

Now that's just rude! This is a family board you know!
"F the Old West" indeed!

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

And Priceline does state that it only guarantees one bed.

Most of the time I could see that I was renting a room with 2 beds. I just got burned with the Super 8. That'll learn me.

::yes:: Yep. I can do it.... but I ain't gonna like it.

And I'm gonna let everybody know about it!

Good for you!

I mean that.

Hey, thanks! I mean, it's a benevolent dictatorship. But a dictatorship nonetheless.

Sarah too old? Or just wanted to hang with her old man?

We were trying to cut costs a bit, so we paid for 3 people instead of 5 (with the baby being free). Also, the carriage ride looked really slow, so Sarah and I didn't see much benefit from riding along.

:laughing: I guess that's why the moose looks perturbed.

Some animals have no manners!

:laughing: Good! "You don't go to a steak house and order fish" is something I've said on more than one occasion.

Words to live by, right there!

You could've stopped right there and I've got a grin on my face.

Come and get it!!!

OMG. So simple. So obvious.

I'm so stupid.

I wouldn't have thought of it either, until my fingers were burning off.

That's really cool.

Those guys were amazing!

Well, gotta put this on my list of things to see/do.

Highly recommended. They take reservations--also highly recommended.

You know, Mark. This TR just keeps getting better and better.
Looking forward to more.

Wow, thank you very much. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. You know how much time and effort goes into these TR's, so it's rewarding to hear you say that. Made my day!:goodvibes

Family time, ice cream, vomiting bear statues, meat and Rindercella. Doesn't get much better than that.

Agreed.

Archie Campbell was the first I ever heard do Rindercella on Hee-Haw. Saturday night entertainment when I was growing up.

That was great stuff! I was impressed by the ability to continually mix consonants for a 15-minute story without totally flubbing it at any time.

I swear sometimes I'd probably have more fun on the DISDads threads.

They've quieted down some in recent months. But we still have a good time. A safe haven from some of the other more contentious threads.

Oh well, Laments of TP work well here too. I"ve never read a Nicholas Sparks book, so I could kill 2 birds with 2 pages with those...

Julie used to read them and told me about a couple. She stopped when I found the pattern and started summarizing the plot of every single book before she read it. You might say he repeats his formula without variations.:rotfl2:

Yes it would!!

I will await the report anxiously if you get the chance to do the tour!

Could be a Han Solo quote right there.

Yes, let's go with Door #3.

Sounds like my evening at the Opry. You could probably hate Country, but I DEFY you to not acknowledge true talent right there.

I agree. Like I said, country isn't my favorite but doesn't make me run screaming from the room either. When you see/hear someone playing an instrument or singing that well, all you can do is take it in and appreciate the artistry and talent it takes. Music can be so transcendent at times.

But first, I got waylaid by the paparazzi. It’s just one of those things you have to deal with from time to time when you’re young, dashingly good-looking, and charming. No matter how far away from civilization you get, it seems like they always find you. So it’s best to just give a few moments of your time, satisfy the legions of fans out there, and then move on with your day.

At first I thought you were talking about the reporter. But seriously, that's pretty cool!

Before we left, though, my friend gave me one more piece of advice. We were headed into Wyoming, right through the dangerous and notorious Teton Pass. There was only one thing we could do to ward off danger and make the journey safely.

Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors.

I love this arch/gateway.

Ok, so maybe you had to be there. All I know is, the food was great, the music was great, and we laughed a lot. I would be hard-pressed to name a time when our money was better spent. We had a fine evening, everyone loved it, and I am proud to award the Bar J Chuckwagon a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

That dinner sounds great! Kind of like Hoop de Doo, but even better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter