Rocky Mountain Highs (a non-Disney Trip Report) - COMPLETE 2/17

Never gets old, though.

Can't argue with that.

Oh, good. It's not just me, then.

I can't speak for anyone else, but nobody would read my TR's if they were strictly factual.

:lmao: I've seen that sign for years! And never once thought of that!

It's funny, I was looking at the photo thinking, how can they have signs marking the center in two different places?:confused3:rotfl:

Oh, sure. Seen some amazing ones too. Bright reds and greens with pools swirling around.
A couple of times I've simply stood with my jaw dropped and watched.

Oh man, that must have been amazing. I hope I get the chance to see them someday. Every once in a while, I'll see a report that says they might be visible as far south as Delaware, and I always go look and...nada.

Is that what that was? My doctor was stumped.

It might also have been the horseshoe.

Huh. Coincidentally I regurgitate when I read your TRs.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody said that...

There's a fire sale!

:woohoo:

Okay! If we ever meet I'll launch right into some!

Perfect! She'll love you for life!

Oh, that's simple enough.
They sent out over two hundred men to blaze a trail.
They just retraced the steps of the one who came back.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I like it! Sort of like how Calvin & Hobbes figured they come up with bridge load ratings.

::yes:: I really liked that.

It's a little eerie, isn't it? Staring in to the abyss.

Ugh.

I wish you hadn't asked me that.
Let's put it this way. If I could cancel the flights and get a refund, I would.

Our CDN dollar (because we're so closely tied into oil) is being destroyed right now.
"Hey kids! Want to see a Luau? Last month it was $110 each. Now it's $150!"
Tough to pay $600 when it was $400 when I booked the trip.
And it's supposed to get worse.

Yuck. I'm sorry about that. If anything, everything I read about Hawaii said to generally avoid the luaus. Most of them seem to be tourist traps with lousy food. So we didn't bother with them, and didn't have any regrets. We had better luck with the early-bird specials at the restaurants. Monkeypod had half-price appetizers and $9 pizzas until 5:00 (I think). And really good food. Splurge on the chocolate-cream pie there.

And the best news: all of the beaches are public lands, and free.

Well get on that!

Aye sir!

Sometimes the exact opposite happens when drugs go in. I remember when my little (at the time) had his tonsils out, they pushed some "feel good" stuff in and he went berserk! It was entertaining because I wasn't the one who had to restrain him. The nurses were having a heck of a time... and I laughed because that was my everyday, on a (very) slightly less scale. He is a tank- maybe he'll make a zillion bucks in the NFL and pay for your Nursing Home.

Yeah, I know general anesthesia is never something to mess around with. You never quite know what will happen. And I can totally understand your reaction--always better when these things are someone else's problem!

As much as I'd love football, I would have a hard time letting my kid play. Seems like everyday there's another report about the damage it does to people. That would be hard!

I can't speak for anyone else, but nobody would read my TR's if they were strictly factual.

Not. Strictly. Factual... :faint:

Oh man, that must have been amazing. I hope I get the chance to see them someday. Every once in a while, I'll see a report that says they might be visible as far south as Delaware, and I always go look and...nada.

We had some nice ones (well... for the south, they were nice) a couple of months ago.
I woke the kids up to show them since they'd never seen them.
Both were very happy I got them out of bed to look.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody said that...

Must... resist...

Can't!

You'd have two dollars since only two people read your TR!!!!
Bazinga!

Perfect! She'll love you for life!

I have that affect on women.

Wait. We're still talking about regurgitation, right?

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I like it! Sort of like how Calvin & Hobbes figured they come up with bridge load ratings.

::yes::

If anything, everything I read about Hawaii said to generally avoid the luaus. Most of them seem to be tourist traps with lousy food.

And yet... we're still going to do one.
We've done two.
The 1st was fun. The 2nd wasn't so great.
And I know they're tourist traps... but we'll still do one.

Details why in the TR... later.

And the best news: all of the beaches are public lands, and free.

::yes:: Knew that.
You can't cross private land to get to them, but once you're there...

You speak the truth.

I was hoping somebody would prove me wrong, but...

That's not cheating. If you're there, you're there!

I agree. I know some people say it doesn't count if you don't actually visit something/spend significant time but that's a really subjective qualifier. I came up with our rule to keep from counting airport layovers (I mean, Cinnabon is not unique to any states), but include when you actually cross the border.

I applaud your Clark Griswold-esque effort to see and do it all, even if that moose out front told you it was closed.

All I needed was a BB gun!

Doing what a good dad does. Mission accomplished. :thumbsup2

Hey, thanks. We got the fart jokes taken care of, too, so I figure I had a good day dad-wise.

Oh yeah, you're pretty much equally screwed in Delaware. It might just not be quite as instantaneous.

Why take a glorious, instantaneous death in a blazing explosion when you can slowly choke to death on ash?

Sounds good to me!

:thumbsup2

Oh, I know Julie had to have been excited about that!!!

Isn't she great? Good thing she never comments anymore.

Well, yeah!!!! ::yes::

Ok... fine then. Just take the wind out of my sails.

Like I said, I have to write these TR's with one eye on the question, "How are these guys going to give me crap over this?" Gotta make you work for it.

So who came up with this name?

Um....Dave.:rolleyes1

Shocking, isn't it?

Yep... sounds about right.

But why didn't you take the test and get a GEYSER PATCH for Drew?

I did. I failed it.

I can only imagine. I mean that geyser at Wilderness Lodge is pretty cool, but I'm guessing the real thing puts it to shame.

Yeah, the one at WL is frankly a little disappointing. Not really worth waiting around for.

But was it better than peanut butter?

Man...I'd really have to think about that.

You could always visit our brothers in the country north of us or Barry. Closest I would want to get.

Understood. Actually, both of those things may be happening this summer. Stay tuned. I mean, it's not like there's anything else to do in the Midwest, right @afwdwfan ?

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE! Although in Miami, we will probably escape the ash, but then again, we will probably be underwater by then. Luckily I know how to scuba dive.

You always have an escape plan, huh? Nice work. We're coming to live in the trailer.

Softball tossed, easy hit over the fences. I think I'll pass, no challenge involved. Now if you were driving over that DAMN bridge, I would have to let loose.

Thanks for being merciful. You would have loved it up here with all of the wind yesterday.

Well this one better be special.......

Oh, it will be. Very special.

One step over can be a cheat but you clearly have both feet in Montana.

We were definitely within the borders. We just have only explored 0.0000001% of the state so far.
:rotfl2: Better than the arch that used to be there..

Sure, let's look at it that way.

Pretty cool.

:faint: Glad that is not coming through with the pictures.

If I can figure out how to broadcast these TR's in Smell-o-Vision, maybe...

I know that feeling- orange barrels are a fixture around here.:laughing:

If we could construct the new road offsite and air-drop it into place overnight, we would!

I was just thinking how many trail blazers are potentially holding up that boardwalk area? :scared1:

God bless them. Taking one for the team.

Look like he is trying to read it to make sure he isn't going too fast. :rotfl2:

Thank goodness. Safety first.

Nice to have that interaction. Makes a great end to a fun day.

Yeah, that was fun. A good park ranger is just like a good CM.

There's $3 well spent !!!!! And then Scotty happens but I am sure he is very happy with his Bison patch.

He certainly didn't regret it!

:cool1: Stunning.

It's so much fun to watch!

Sorry the food was well forgettable. Sounds like the biggest ding to your day.

Yeah, that and the endless road construction.

:cheer2::cheer2: How romantic....

:rolleyes1

Not. Strictly. Factual... :faint:

I didn't even go to Yellowstone. These are just photos I found on the interwebs.

We had some nice ones (well... for the south, they were nice) a couple of months ago.
I woke the kids up to show them since they'd never seen them.
Both were very happy I got them out of bed to look.

I'm glad they appreciated it! It's certainly not something you get to see very often.

Must... resist...

Can't!

You'd have two dollars since only two people read your TR!!!!
Bazinga!

Man, the truth hurts...:sad1:

I have that affect on women.

Wait. We're still talking about regurgitation, right?

::yes:: You too, huh?

And yet... we're still going to do one.
We've done two.
The 1st was fun. The 2nd wasn't so great.
And I know they're tourist traps... but we'll still do one.

Details why in the TR... later.

Cool. I will look forward to it, then!

::yes:: Knew that.
You can't cross private land to get to them, but once you're there...

Yep. We never really had a problem with parking, either. Rope Drop always works!

I didn't even go to Yellowstone. These are just photos I found on the interwebs.

I knew it.

So disappointed in you.
But I suppose you're used to that by now.

I'm glad they appreciated it! It's certainly not something you get to see very often.

I really debated whether to wake them or not.
But both girls shot out of their beds and told me they were really glad I woke them.

::yes:: You too, huh?

<sigh> yeah.

Yep. We never really had a problem with parking, either. Rope Drop always works!

I'd like to do that.... and I wouldn't.
Man I'm tired right now.

Well, I already travel from state to state. No papers.
Just don't get to where you think that you might need two wives.
Problems you just don't need, right there.

Except for the beer, of course.
Oh, well of course.

Dagnabbit. That's been fixed.
Not to worry...
I'm the only one that noticed (and generally speaking, no one reads my gibberish, so no one else saw it).

There you go, bursting my bubble again.
Better that what the Bull Elk might have burst.

Where would the world be with out 'em.

I honestly don't know why she doesn't appreciate it. I guess nobody's perfect.
Ahhhh, but the ladies do come awfully close to it.
Awfully close.

Thanks for taking it easy on me.
Between Ponzie and Andy, you get more that your fair share of grief...
I could afford to take the sabbatical.

Scotty marches to the beat of his own drummer.
Well, yeah...
but they'er bongos

Isn't she great? Good thing she never comments anymore.
You're right. Why not?

Hi @Mrs. Knowitall !

Like I said, I have to write these TR's with one eye on the question, "How are these guys going to give me crap over this?" Gotta make you work for it.
But would you expect anything less of us???

I did. I failed it.
:rotfl2: Next time at least be smart enough to copy from Sarah.

Man...I'd really have to think about that.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Enough said.

I knew it.

So disappointed in you.
But I suppose you're used to that by now.

Story of my life, bud. Story of my life.

I really debated whether to wake them or not.
But both girls shot out of their beds and told me they were really glad I woke them.

Good call! Their reaction encourages me about our future generations.

<sigh> yeah.

We only have so much to work with.

I'd like to do that.... and I wouldn't.
Man I'm tired right now.

That's understandable. I can see the appeal of sleeping in!

Just don't get to where you think that you might need two wives.
Problems you just don't need, right there.

I can barely handle one!

Oh, well of course.

I figured you'd agree.

Not to worry...
I'm the only one that noticed (and generally speaking, no one reads my gibberish, so no one else saw it).

I'm just glad you're reading my gibberish.

Better that what the Bull Elk might have burst.

No mental images, please.

Where would the world be with out 'em.

I think the world would be a much darker place.

Ahhhh, but the ladies do come awfully close to it.
Awfully close.

Don't say that, it just encourages them.

Between Ponzie and Andy, you get more that your fair share of grief...
I could afford to take the sabbatical.

Dodged a bullet there.

Well, yeah...
but they'er bongos

Sounds about right!::yes::

You're right. Why not?

Hi @Mrs. Knowitall !

:confused3 I guess she has less tolerance for my BS than you guys do.

But would you expect anything less of us???

No, that's why I have to make you work!
:rotfl2: Next time at least be smart enough to copy from Sarah.

I should have thought of that.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Enough said.

Don't worry. We'll find a classier place for our anniversary dinner.

Huh! Had no idea.
I was under the impression when I was a kid that Old Faithful was it.

I think they said Yellowstone has over half of the world's geysers--thousands of them!

Looks like I mis-stated the facts here. Yellowstone actually has over 10,000 geothermal features--over 300 of which of geysers. Still, it is true that there are more geysers in Yellowstone than anywhere else in the world.

Chapter 18: Fire In The Hole!

June 27, 2015. It was our 17th anniversary, and Julie and I were going to celebrate by walking around the smelly steam vents on top of a supervolcano. Livin’ the dream.

For some reason, most likely diaper-related, I needed to run out and get something from the van that morning. When I went outside, I was struck by the way the early morning sunlight was hitting the lodge and the geyser basin. So I ran back inside to grab the camera. By the time I got back to a good viewing area, the sun had risen a bit and the colors weren’t quite as nice, but it was a pretty morning anyway. Here’s the lodge, with Old Faithful in the background:

IMG_0387.jpg

Upper Geyser Basin:

IMG_0388.jpg

And, as it just so happened, Old Faithful began to erupt while I was standing out there.

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

I’d say the morning was off to a good start.

When planning the trip, I had originally made a reservation for dinner at the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room, figuring it was our best shot at a classy anniversary dinner. But while the location and atmosphere are top-notch, I was warned away by both friends and online reviews stating that the food was disappointing. Our experience at the cafeteria the previous night seemed to confirm what others had stated. In addition, we looked at the menu and were not inspired by the offerings. I would have ordered the steak, because I have no idea what a "cioppino" or an "osso buco" is. Although I suspect those are ways to get whacked if you run afoul of the Mafia. "Hey, Guido, go give that guy a cioppino, eh?"

It’s one thing to have bad food, but paying a premium for bad froo-froo food I can’t pronounce is even worse. Listening to the word-of-mouth reviews led me to cancel my dinner reservation and splurge on the chuckwagon experience in the Tetons instead.

Still, I wanted to do something to celebrate. So we decided to try and have breakfast in the dining room instead, figuring it would be harder to screw up basic breakfast food than fancy-pants froo-froo food. We didn’t need a reservation—breakfast was first-come, first serve. We were seated right away.

IMG_0376.jpg

This turned out to be a good call. It was nice to have a sit-down, full breakfast with something other than stale muffins and non-ripe bananas. It was also nice to have a relaxed morning where we weren’t immediately rushing out the door and driving a couple of hours. I had a big heaping plate of french toast that, while not being the greatest I’ve ever had, certainly passed muster. Julie splurged on the huckleberry pancakes and came away suitably impressed. So breakfast in the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room gets a thumbs-up from us.

Now, remember when I said our plan was for today to be the “easy” day, just exploring the Upper Geyser Basin? Well, I fibbed a bit. We did have one drive to make. But it was a short one. We went over to the Midway Geyser Basin, a few miles away, in order to check out another of the more famous features of Yellowstone—the Grand Prismatic Spring. The goal here was to beat the crowds and then head back to the Inn to take advantage of parking there and spend the rest of the day exploring the Old Faithful area.

Rope Drop worked once again, and the parking area was nowhere near capacity at Midway. We got on the boardwalk and walked over the Firehole River.

IMG_0399.jpg

You can probably guess where that name came from. The Firehole River is one of the major water features in the park. Many of the geothermal features feed it as they erupt, and it drains the Upper, Midway, and Lower Geyser Basins. The water temperatures run hotter than most other rivers, so don’t try and swim (although I believe there is an area where swimming is allowed much further downstream).

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

The boardwalk trail at Midway is fairly short. There are a few geysers/hot springs here and there, but the main event is the Grand Prismatic Spring, a massive hot spring featuring a kaleidoscope of color thanks to the various bacteria that reside within.

IMG_0409.jpg

But there’s one slight problem. From the boardwalk, your viewing angle is low to the ground. And if the wind isn’t right, steam will mostly prevent you from seeing all of that color.

IMG_0412.jpg

Thankfully, there is a way around this issue. See that hill behind the spring? That’s accessible via the Fairy Falls trail, which begins from a parking area just a short distance down the road from the Midway parking lot. All you have to do from there is hike a little over a mile and, if you happen to have a baby with you, carry him on your back in that blasted torture device/backpack.

I could do this one more time, right?

We drove to the Fairy Falls trailhead and started the hike. For the most part, it’s a very easy hike to get to the hill—very flat. And not Utah flat, either. Closer to Delaware flat.

Until, that is, we reached the hill. Then there was nothing but up. There were a few signs posted when we first reached the hill that said not to climb there because it was a “recharge area” or something like that. So we kept walking until we didn’t see signs anymore. Then we climbed.

Here’s the view:

IMG_0438.jpg

Now that’s more like it. I imagine the colors are actually better in the afternoon, when the sun is behind you. But at that time of day it would be very hard to find available parking at the trailhead. It would be interesting to see if it’s better, though.

Since we did all that work to get here, we had to take more than one photo.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

We sat and enjoyed the view for a while and then walked back the way we came in. By mid-morning, we were back at the Old Faithful Inn and getting ready for our leisurely day walking around the Upper Geyser Basin.

We stopped at the Visitor Center, where sucker—excuse me, tourists can pay $3 more for a Young Scientist booklet. It’s similar in every way to the Junior Ranger program except your kids are completing activities that have more to do with the science of the geothermal features at Yellowstone. They get a patch when they’ve completed all of their work. The best part of the program is that the kids are given a kit that includes an infrared thermometer to measure the temperatures of the hot springs, etc. You only have to sign a waiver that promises you’ll buy the government a new aircraft carrier if you break the kit or lose it.

IMG_0474.jpg

Generally speaking, we measured temperatures around 140 degrees Fahrenheit in the center of those hot springs.

As we started walking, we saw Lion Geyser erupting in the distance. We weren’t fast enough to get a photo, but that was the first geyser we’d seen erupt other than Old Faithful. We were hoping it wouldn’t be the last.

There are several geysers in Yellowstone that erupt on fairly regular schedules, just none as consistently predictable as Old Faithful. With Old Faithful, the Park Service will post a predicted eruption time +/- 10 minutes, and they’re generally pretty close. Old Faithful generally erupts every 90 minutes or so. There are a few other geysers that are regular enough for the NPS to offer predicted eruption times: Castle Geyser, Riverside Geyser, Daisy Geyser and Grand Geyser are the other four in the Upper Geyser Basin that are predictable. These geysers only erupt a few times a day and the predictions sometimes give a range of +/- 30 minutes or +/- 1 hour, so it’s hardly an exact science. It makes it a little tricky to plan the day, too.

We tried to cover as much ground as we could, using the eruption predictions as a guide for how to walk around the geyser basin. In the meantime, the kids could work on their Young Scientists books and we’d try to keep Baby Drew from going stir-crazy in the stroller.

Oh, look: Old Faithful is going off again.

IMG_0469.jpg

It was about here when I realized that my plan for an “easy”, “relaxing”, “leisurely” walk around the geyser basin was a little far-fetched. The next eruption was going to be Riverside Geyser. This was at the far end of the basin—a little over 2 miles away. I hadn’t realized it, but the entire loop around the geyser basin is 4.6 miles of walking.

Well, I didn’t have the backpack on. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

We took our time, stopping at various features here and there. Eventually we made our way towards Riverside Geyser near the end of the trail. Just around the bend, we could hear the sound of rushing water—the eruption had already started. We started running, hoping to catch a glimpse of the geyser.

It turns out we didn’t need to rush. Riverside Geyser’s eruptions generally last about 20 minutes, so it ends up being a great show.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Unfortunately, Castle Geyser was also predicted to erupt at roughly the same time, and although we are veteran parents, we haven’t figured out how to be in two places at once. So we missed that one. But if you’re keeping score, we had now seen 3 different geyser eruptions.

At the very end of the trail was the Morning Glory Pool, which has long been known for its spectacular color. Sadly, over time the color has begun to fade—and this is due to people throwing coins, trash, and other crap into the pool over the years. Check out the photos at the bottom of this page to see how it’s changed over the years.

This is not the only location where people have affected Yellowstone for the worst. Some geysers will never erupt again due to people plugging them with rocks and other trash.

Still, I think it’s worth seeing. There’s still some nice color in the pool and it’s another one of those locations where you can feel like you’re staring into the depths of the earth.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

It was on the walk back towards Old Faithful and the lodge that the kids started giving me crap. “I thought this was supposed to be an easy day,” etc., etc. Hey, do you want to see geysers or not?

This is Grotto Geyser, although I think Giant Ogre Geyser would be a more appropriate name.

IMG_0504.jpg

Our next stop was Grand Geyser, since it was the next predicted eruption. And we’ll save that for the next chapter. But in the meantime, I’ll leave you with a warning not to stand on geysers, or any other geothermal features in Yellowstone. Seriously, don’t do it. If you do, your feet and legs will be swallowed by the earth while some lady will uselessly react in horror and other jerks will just completely ignore you altogether. Also, you might lose your hat.

IMG_0506.jpg

Coming Up Next: More of our relaxing 7-mile hike around the geyser basin, and our romantic anniversary dinner celebration!

And, as it just so happened, Old Faithful began to erupt while I was standing out there.

Cool timing!!!!

When planning the trip, I had originally made a reservation for dinner at the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room, figuring it was our best shot at a classy anniversary dinner. But while the location and atmosphere are top-notch, I was warned away by both friends and online reviews stating that the food was disappointing.

That's disappointing.

I would have ordered the steak, because I have no idea what a "cioppino" or an "osso buco" is.

You would not have liked the Cioppino as it is a seafood stew in a tomato broth, mostly associated in the US with San Francisco, but I imagine that it's roots are in Italy. Osso Buco is more up your alley as it is a braised Veal shank, but you may not like what it was braised in, but basically, the leg of a baby cow stewed for your pleasure.

It’s one thing to have bad food, but paying a premium for bad froo-froo food I can’t pronounce is even worse. Listening to the word-of-mouth reviews led me to cancel my dinner reservation and splurge on the chuckwagon experience in the Tetons instead.

Better to have meat in the breasts than bad food that you can't pronounce. :rolleyes1

So breakfast in the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room gets a thumbs-up from us.

Cool!

Rope Drop worked once again, and the parking area was nowhere near capacity at Midway. We got on the boardwalk and walked over the Firehole River.

Yikes! That breakfast must have been really early!

The boardwalk trail at Midway is fairly short. There are a few geysers/hot springs here and there, but the main event is the Grand Prismatic Spring, a massive hot spring featuring a kaleidoscope of color thanks to the various bacteria that reside within.

Sounds cool, but you're saying that if we don't get up early, parking is difficult. :faint:

Since we did all that work to get here, we had to take more than one photo.

Nice!

We stopped at the Visitor Center, where sucker—excuse me, tourists can pay $3 more for a Young Scientist booklet. It’s similar in every way to the Junior Ranger program except your kids are completing activities that have more to do with the science of the geothermal features at Yellowstone. They get a patch when they’ve completed all of their work. The best part of the program is that the kids are given a kit that includes an infrared thermometer to measure the temperatures of the hot springs, etc. You only have to sign a waiver that promises you’ll buy the government a new aircraft carrier if you break the kit or lose it.

Well as long as you don't break the thermometer, sounds like a good deal!

Well, I didn’t have the backpack on. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

Nice.

This is not the only location where people have affected Yellowstone for the worst. Some geysers will never erupt again due to people plugging them with rocks and other trash.

People suck.

It was our 17th anniversary, and Julie and I were going to celebrate by walking around the smelly steam vents on top of a supervolcano. Livin’ the dream.
Hey, I like this idea of interesting locations for anniversaries. You guys are doing something right!

For some reason, most likely diaper-related, I needed to run out and get something from the van that morning.
It wasn't the diaper. It was one of the smelly steam vents.

By the time I got back to a good viewing area, the sun had risen a bit and the colors weren’t quite as nice, but it was a pretty morning anyway. Here’s the lodge, with Old Faithful in the background:
Wow! Nice pictures! And you managed to get the lodge and an erupting geyser without 50,000 people in the picture!

Kind of like one of those pre-ropedrop castle pictures at MK!

It appears that you chose wisely.

So we decided to try and have breakfast in the dining room instead, figuring it would be harder to screw up basic breakfast food than fancy-pants froo-froo food
::yes:: It tends to be my belief that breakfast is usually good. And if they screw up breakfast, you most definitely don't want to have dinner there!

This turned out to be a good call. It was nice to have a sit-down, full breakfast with something other than stale muffins and non-ripe bananas. It was also nice to have a relaxed morning where we weren’t immediately rushing out the door and driving a couple of hours. I had a big heaping plate of french toast that, while not being the greatest I’ve ever had, certainly passed muster. Julie splurged on the huckleberry pancakes and came away suitably impressed. So breakfast in the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room gets a thumbs-up from us.
I'm glad it was a good meal! And that should push that PBJ craving back an hour or 2.

The water temperatures run hotter than most other rivers, so don’t try and swim (although I believe there is an area where swimming is allowed much further downstream).
Kind of curious if you have any idea how hot the river is? I saw you mentioned 140 for those pools, but I just wondered about the river and whether it was too hot for the wildlife around there? I mean, they've obviously got to drink somewhere.

But there’s one slight problem. From the boardwalk, your viewing angle is low to the ground. And if the wind isn’t right, steam will mostly prevent you from seeing all of that color.
Well, it's kind of foggy.

Thankfully, there is a way around this issue. See that hill behind the spring? That’s accessible via the Fairy Falls trail, which begins from a parking area just a short distance down the road from the Midway parking lot. All you have to do from there is hike a little over a mile and, if you happen to have a baby with you, carry him on your back in that blasted torture device/backpack.

I could do this one more time, right?
That little hill??? Looks like nothing.

There were a few signs posted when we first reached the hill that said not to climb there because it was a “recharge area” or something like that. So we kept walking until we didn’t see signs anymore. Then we climbed.
Is it just me or is the idea of being anywhere near something called a "recharge area" on a super volcano just a little bit crazy?

They get a patch when they’ve completed all of their work.
And Scotty will choose the Bison patch...

These geysers only erupt a few times a day and the predictions sometimes give a range of +/- 30 minutes or +/- 1 hour, so it’s hardly an exact science. It makes it a little tricky to plan the day, too.
Come on nature! We're trying to plan here!!!
enhanced-buzz-15057-1383155006-0.jpg

It was about here when I realized that my plan for an “easy”, “relaxing”, “leisurely” walk around the geyser basin was a little far-fetched. The next eruption was going to be Riverside Geyser. This was at the far end of the basin—a little over 2 miles away. I hadn’t realized it, but the entire loop around the geyser basin is 4.6 miles of walking.
Wait a minute... you're complaining about uncooperative geysers, yet you didn't plan enough ahead to realize this??? :rolleyes1

This is Grotto Geyser, although I think Giant Ogre Geyser would be a more appropriate name.
::yes:: I can see that...

If you do, your feet and legs will be swallowed by the earth while some lady will uselessly react in horror and other jerks will just completely ignore you altogether. Also, you might lose your hat.
Maybe it is just me, but there's just something about that picture that makes me want to throw a hat onto the top of one the geysers and see how far it can get launched.

I should have done more research... I didn't realize you could get such great views of the Grand Prismatic Spring from the Fairy Falls trail. I kept thinking our views were just not that great ... I mean, everything else we saw looked really true to postcard images, but not Grand Prismatic Spring. I really need to plan my trips better so I see things AFTER you report them! LOL! I kid - but I really don't think we would have driven to the very end of Chain of Craters Road in VNP if I hadn't read your Hawaii report beforehand. Your reports are very informative!

We ate dinner at the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room and I thought it was pretty tasty. We all had the buffet - I ate prime rib, huckleberry glazed chicken and a very nice (fresh) salad. Definitely the best food we ate in all of Yellowstone (100X better than the quick service place) and a nice change. It was NOT a romantic anniversary type of atmosphere though (crowded & noisy with families ... kind of like most sit down places in Disney), so I think substituting a fun family chuckwagon meal was probably a good call.

I look forward to your next installment!

Snow day, so I figured maybe I would catch up a little around here............. because I'm too far behind to catch up a LOT! :rolleyes1

This is a first-floor hallway leading to some of the rooms. I thought it looked like something out of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

IMG_0653.jpg
I would agree except...........where's the long line of people??? :rolleyes:

In honor of you posting out of order, I thought my replies should at least include a little of that element............ :)

Here’s the main entrance. Look familiar?

IMG_0347.jpg

The lobby:

IMG_0615.jpg

There’s also a balcony to afford guests a view of Old Faithful when it erupts.

IMG_0381.jpg
Yellowstone has ALWAYS been high on my list of places I want to visit in this beautiful country of ours. I was already sold, but you have bumped up my desire to plan a trip...........sooner rather than later! This looks like an awesome choice of a place to stay when the time comes.

By the way, here’s an engineer’s tip for surviving conversations on the arts. Whenever someone brings up Shakespeare, just say the following phrase:

“No writer spoke to the human condition like William Shakespeare.”

It’s a guaranteed conversation-ender and subject-changer. It sounds deep, but nobody has any idea what that actually means. I don’t even know what it means. However, no one will want to risk looking stupid by asking what it means, so you’ll get a lot of profound-looking nods, an awkward pause, and then you can safely bring up last night’s football game. Trust me.
Duly noted!

Artist Point gives you a view of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River. It’s carved a canyon over many years through rock that has been tinted in several different colors by minerals from the park’s thermal features.
Okay, your credibility about not being deep into the literary arena just took a big hit! :rolleyes2

In fact, it’s one of the most breathtaking sights I’ve seen in the world.

IMG_0163.jpg
Agreed...........gorgeous! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

You are doing great with early mornings and getting on the road to get these spectacular views and with empty parking lots and few people around.

Great research and I for one hope to eventually look back on this TR to plan a trip. :thumbsup2
Okay, I guess that settles it............. :worship:

It is a bit of a cheat since Montana is one of the largest states in the nation and we were barely inching over the border, but no one can say we weren’t actually in the state.

IMG_0236.jpg
Really? If you're going to cheat about counting Montana on your list of states you have visited, shouldn't you at least show why they call it Big Sky country??? :sad2:

Unless, of course, you visit when we did. It just so happened that on this particular day, the entire area was under construction. So we couldn’t actually see the other side of the arch or drive under it. We had to settle for taking a detour and being near it. In the spirit of the Jungle Cruise, here’s the backside of Roosevelt Arch.

IMG_0240.jpg
Okay........nevermind :blush:

In Mammoth, we found a shaded piece of grass in the shadow of the visitor center and had our gourmet PB&J sandwiches for lunch. We learned that elk also seem to enjoy lounging in the shade of the buildings in town. Thankfully, there was shade for everyone so we didn’t have to fight over our spot. I would have hated to give a bull elk a beatdown.
Or have to share your PB&J sandwich when he returned the favor.... :laughing:

By the way, Orlando looked like it was outside the radius that would be affected, so if Yellowstone erupts, our emergency plan is to head straight for Disney World.
Sounds like a great plan!!! :cheer2:

Did I mention the smell? All of these geothermal features are somewhat pungent. Sulfur smells are particularly noticeable.
So you're saying that you spend a major part of your life hanging around geothermal features??? ;)

Here’s the view:

IMG_0438.jpg
Another awe inspiring view! :goodvibes

But in the meantime, I’ll leave you with a warning not to stand on geysers, or any other geothermal features in Yellowstone. Seriously, don’t do it. If you do, your feet and legs will be swallowed by the earth while some lady will uselessly react in horror and other jerks will just completely ignore you altogether. Also, you might lose your hat.

IMG_0506.jpg
I have to wonder if this is a common problem.........but then when I think about frivolous lawsuits like..........I spilled coffee in my lap and nobody told me it would be hot, nobody told me I could get hurt riding a bike without a helmet, and what do you mean that if I stick my foot under a running lawnmower it might put a nick in my foot..............then I guess I understand this! :scratchin Still, a cute way to get the point across.

Chapter 18: Fire In The Hole!

June 27, 2015. It was our 17th anniversary, and Julie and I were going to celebrate by walking around the smelly steam vents on top of a supervolcano. Livin’ the dream.

Still, I wanted to do something to celebrate. So we decided to try and have breakfast in the dining room instead, figuring it would be harder to screw up basic breakfast food than fancy-pants froo-froo food. We didn’t need a reservation—breakfast was first-come, first serve. We were seated right away.

IMG_0376.jpg

Coming Up Next: More of our relaxing 7-mile hike around the geyser basin, and our romantic anniversary dinner celebration!

Sounds like a good anniversary plan. In my case, I would have had a good breakfast, and normally SWMBO would have wandered down sometime around lunchtime! Lately she has reached that point in life where she is rarely sleeping so she even gets out of bed before me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter