Robbed at BWV

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ariel5884, Jan 26, 2013.

1. rgf207

rgf207 DIS Veteran

That's where you are wrong. Why do you think Disney doesn't apologize or immediately pay medical bills for guests who are injured on property. Because if they do, any court of law will see that as an admission of guilt.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nursie

nursie Earning My Ears

I've never received a 'claim' ticket on my vacations...Disney or otherwise. Guess this is something world travelers or New Yorkers are used to.;)
    I'll be sure to get one on our upcoming trip when I have bell service keeping my bags as I go from Resort to Resort.
    Unfortunately things like theft happen everyday. I understand OPs intent was to warn others. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup2 Hope it never happens to you again, that was very sad. No one deserves to have their trip dampened by having their belongings 'lifted' by someone else.

4. Robo

Robo 1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!

I live in Missouri.

I have gotten a Disney claim check every single time we have left our bags
    with Disney resort bell service.

It is handed to us automatically (we have not had to ask) and at every resort (all levels) at which we have stayed for decades at WDW.

5. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

Interesting. We were told the valet system is outsourced, but bell services is not... Our home resort is BWV. Are the resorts treated differently, has something changed or were we misinformed? :confused3

6. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

I live in TN. I have always gotten a claims ticket if I left my bags with the hotel. Disney or otherwise. Never thought that anyone wouldn't.

7. GSDRescuer

GSDRescuer Tag Free since 2003

So sorry for your loss, but glad they compensated you for the cards.:)

Sometimes when we are in DisneyWorld, we think that everything is magical, all is good and wholesome. However, DisneyWorld is still in the real world. That seeps through sometimes. Who knows what happened to that bag. It could have fallen and been placed on another cart, a guest could have snatched it, it could be laying in the corner somewhere....many possiblities.

At least we all learned a lesson from your experience....no matter what we want to believe, DisneyWorld is still in the real world, caution has to be taken as if we were anywhere else. Hold on to your child, hold on to your purse...etc.

Again, so glad Disney went the extra mile to compensate you for your loss. That part was Disney Magic.pixiedust:

8. anonymousegirl

anonymousegirl DIS Veteran

I have always received a claim ticket when I check my bags which I do frequently, either after arriving on the red eye from California, or departing late in the afternoon for a late flight home.

9. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

The thing is, if bags left with Bell Services are not locked, then it is simply your word as to what the contents are. There is a reason why bags sent to the resort from shops are taped and stapled shut with a carbon-copy itemized receipt stuck to them; that is so that no one can come back and say that something that never was in the bag in the first place is now missing.

Anyone who leaves bags at Bell Services without getting an itemized claim check is careless at best and a fool at worst. Without that claim check, you have no legal recourse if something goes missing.

As to Disney, yeah, they screw up just like any other hotel sometimes, and I don't see them with rose-coloured glasses. However, as the story is told by the OP, I don't see how the hotel can be held legally accountable for the loss of a shopping bag that the OP has no proof was ever even left with them. It sounds like they went above and beyond to replace the contents of a bag that she could not prove was ever in their possession, so I would say that that management gets Customer Service props for this one, as the failure to present a claim check certainly should not have happened. (And all Disney resorts routinely DO give claim checks. They are tear-offs in two parts and normally one is attached to every bag handle. The guest's name is written on the part that is retained on the bag, and the piece that you are given has a number that matches the section that stays on the bag.)

Also, on the subject of "death glares", what a passive-aggressive waste of time. Whenever I leave my bags with bell services ANYWHERE, I make it a point to tell them if one or two of the bags contain valuables and must go into secure storage. When you do that, those particular bags should be locked up while you wait, and will never be left sitting on a cart in the open. (Also, at some hotels where I have stayed, items requested for secure storage may get a different and more detailed claim check that details what is in them; they look inside and verify that the contents match your description before they accept the bag.)

10. RMulieri

RMulieri DIS Veteran

I love this:thumbsup2

11. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

Family of 7 here. Between certain years, our family included 3 teenage girls, (and they don't travel lightly, lol) and a special needs child with extra apparatus, etc. Now, that is "A LOT" of bags! We've always received a claim ticket. Seriously, how would you ever prove they ever had your bags or belongings, in the first place?

I am sorry this happened to you. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

12. BobbyBudnick

BobbyBudnick Earning My Ears

Not true. Bags & Cars Inc. is the company that runs the valet service at the resorts. The bell service/dispatch are Disney employees.

13. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

I don't get the "death stare" need either.

Why don't you just walk over and say nicely "would you mind locking that up for me"? Instead you wasted your time "death staring" :rotfl2:

(And for the OP... paragraphs are your friend. I got lost and quit reading)

14. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

You must have never stored your bags then. Why would you leave your bags somewhere with no proof you left them? And moreover, how would they ever know which bags are yours with no ticket to match them up to? :confused3

15. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

Thanks for verifying this info. :thumbsup2

16. juliebug1997

juliebug1997 DIS Veteran

We leave our bags with bell services every time on the last day and have always gotten a ticket. We've also gotten tickets in NYC at two different hotels when we had a late flight. One place even charged us, so we definitely got a slip that time.

17. TheLostGirlsMom

TheLostGirlsMom Earning My Ears

We were robbed by valet in Sept 10 at CR. We had gone into dinner at CG and didn't make it out to after midnight. Needless to say the next morning I asked my DH where the $200 cash he had was. Low and behold it was in the center console of our car but when he went out to retrieve it, it was gone. He went over to CS and was basically blown off so decided to let it go and would write a letter to guest relations afterwards. He was contacted via a phone call with an apology and then sent 5 one-day tickets to make up for our loss and less than magical time. I was amazed that Disney went out of their way to rectify something that ocurred on their property.

18. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Why would you leave cash in your car? I wont leave a buck let alone 200, Especially knowing you are valeting it? Makes no sense

19. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

People make it so easy to become victims. Use common sense and there would be no issues.

20. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

People are so quick to criticize.

I'm guessing it was an oversight.

I left a backpack with a lot of cash in it when I valet parked at the DL hotel once. We had driven half way across the country and forgot just where I had stashed everything. Items had been moved around in that car for days. I nearly had a heart attack when I remembered that mid-morning. I was lucky. It was not out in the open and was still there when we picked the car back up that night.

Be sheesh, why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

21. kaligal

kaligal DIS Veteran

I stupidly left about $600 sitting out in the room once. Didn't mean to, but did.

People do stupid things. OP isn't alone there. Every single person on this thread has done something stupid at some point. Find me a person who hasn't done something stupid and I'll find you a big, fat liar.

Getting someone else to pick up the tab for your stupidity is a lucky break.

Because of this thread, at least 50 people will tell Disney that someone took their money and ask for Disney to pay for it.