Robbed at BWV

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ariel5884, Jan 26, 2013.

1. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

At least they were compensated, which does not always happen.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

Ok several times you refer to the 'little person' are you describing the persons physical trait? If so totally unecessary to what you are relating & quite honestly awful OR 'little person' as in beneath your status in life :snooty: Maybe you're just trying to be snarky its coming across as the west end of an eastbound horse perhaps you are unaware

4. Luv Bunnies

Luv Bunnies DIS Veteran

I tend to be very cautious with my things. I'm probably overly cautious at times, but I guess growing up with a police officer dad has made me suspicious of everything! We carry our own luggage whenever possible. We only hand it over to valets when we absolutely have to. I know the odds of something going missing are relatively low, but stories like this make me want to be even more vigilant.

5. Kaspar Houser

Kaspar Houser Mouseketeer

No ,simply no. I am fully responsible for my own luggage. I take care of it and make sure it is in safe hands.
    Normal suitcases? Who cares? If someone like my undies go ahead and use them ( I buy new ones for every trip :rotfl:)
    Valuable things like my iPad or lap top?
    Granted we stay concierge so I go to the desk in my resort. Hand them the suitcase and I get a special written tag. The suitcases goes into a locked room and I have no worries what so ever.

6. disneyfantotheend

disneyfantotheend DIS Veteran

I too was baffled by the "little person" comments.

7. DSLRuser

DSLRuser Age is a state of mind

1st, sorry.

2nd, you said it, you should have kept any "valuables" with you just in case.

3rd, technically, you were not "robbed". that implies someone confronted you and forced you to give them something. You had something stolen. It could have been a cars employee, it could have been a Disney employee, depending on where the cart was left, it could have been a guest.

Lesson learned here, don't give the valet anything that will temp them to steal.

8. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Why were the gift cards in their instead of your purse?? Even with your excuse of oh they fell out so I quickly threw them in that bag, you knew they were taking that bag so why wouldn't you grab them out. I use bell hop valet all the time at Disney and I am never rushed to where u can't move stuff and make sure I have important stuff with me.

9. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Surprised Disney comped you for he said she said.

10. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

This exactly!

11. floydfamily4

floydfamily4 DIS Veteran

I don't care if they are subcontracted or not, you were violated and I'm sure that was awful. We are Disney lovers and tend to defend the company. You were violated. It sucks and I am really sorry that happened to you.

12. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Me also

13. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Exactly

14. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I do work in the service industry and I can tell you that if instead of asking nicely for us to do something someone stands their glaring at us, we go about our business. No need to be all passive-aggressive.

15. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

Me too, OCD comes out big time when I have Gift cards in my purse. I check and recheck and check again. I bought some at Christmas and I think form now on, I'll just give cash.

OP, did you ask a bellman if you could go into the luggage room with one of them to look for your bag? It may be that it fell off the luggage cart and was put on a shelf. I ask because once one of our bags did not make it to our room, I was allowed to check for it and I found it!

16. bjakmom

bjakmom DIS Veteran

So sorry this happened to you! but I am also relieved to hear that no one was held at gunpoint at my beloved home resort!:scared:
    I carry luggage locks in the front pocket of all my suitcases - even though I can no longer lock them at the airport - I always put a lock on every bag that I leave with valet/bell services. Just a little added security and a little extra PITA for anyone who wants to check out what's in there. The only open bags we ever leave are our grocery bags. I travel a lot and am just not that trusting.
    And I have also watched countless racks of luggage left lined up and basically unattended in many many hotel parking lots and lobbies. An easy target for anyone looking to grab something and keep walking.

17. Chrisrokc

Chrisrokc Earning My Ears

IMO it is reasonable that a hotel valet would keep your things safe from the time the items leave your immediate possession to the time they arrive in your room. This includes safe from the possibility of theft from other guests and theft from other employees.

Basically, they are at fault and would be found to be at fault in any court of law. Sorry that happened to you. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact Disney to be compensated even further for loss of time.

18. Miss Peach

Miss Peach Mouseketeer

I was greatly relieved when I opened this thread and the OP had NOT been robbed!

But, I do think that one needs to be responsible for their own possessions.

When we check in we leave the luggage in the car, we register, then we go to the car with the bellman. If the room won't be ready until later we walk with the bellman and our luggage to the check room and receive a check receipt.

We do not leave anything more valuable than our clothes with the bell services. If something were to go missing, it would be an inconvenience, rather than a disaster!

And to the 'little person' comment, I have no words!

Hopefully, now that the OP has been reimbursed for their loss, the rest of the trip will be wonderful!

19. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

The OP would have to be able to somehow prove that she had gift cards in the bag that was taken. And that would be almost impossible to do.

20. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

:sad2: You are kidding, right? They were compensated even when Disney doesn't seem responsible. What more compensation should Disney give them, when it was their fault. You *don't* leave cash laying around, and GC's are like cash. She took her purse, and admitted she should have taken her bag also. We must take some responsibility for our own selves. It could have been a very costly *mistake* on *her* part, but it turned out well.

The first thing some people seem to think about is what can I get out of this from Disney! :sad1:

21. okeydokey

okeydokey Frosty the Snowman scared me as

I am sosorrynthat happened to you OP. Thank you for reminding us to always keep valuables at hand, as it is easy to get lax about stuff like that. I hope you enjoyed the Reston your trip.