Rob Roy, The Highland Rogue (1953) Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
Rob Roy, The Highland Rogue (1953)
The Scottish hero, Rob Roy and his McGregor clansmen are involved in several 18th century battles against King George I and the Duke of Montrose. This is the third of three extremely similar films where the actors play extremely similar roles with extremely similar outcomes. Following in the footsteps of "The Story of Robin Hood and His Merry Men" and "The Sword and the Rose", Disney took one more stab at their so called costume adventures. I'm sorry to say what resulted was a pretty convoluted war story that struggled to hold my attention. Director Harold French's only Disney film, stars Richard Todd, James Robertson Justice, and Glynis Johns (who would later lead the the woman's British movement in Mary Poppins as Mrs. Banks). In this movie, Johns reprises her role as Todd's love interest as she first did in "The Sword and the Rose". Todd and Justice were both in Robin Hood and Sword and the Rose. It's an action adventure film with plenty of action but by this point, the familiar characters feel like xerox copies from the two previous films mentioned.
The film's production is far more interesting. As a result of England setting the stipulation that all profits from films made in other countries needed to stay in England following World War II, Walt set up a studio in the UK. He then used the locked up funds to produce several movies there. This was one of them, and unfortunately, not one near the top of my Disney list. I give it a half kilt out of five. Yikes, it's going to feel a draft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter