RN's...where do you get your FREE CEU's?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by disney5, Feb 8, 2013.

1. disney5

disney5 Mouseketeer

I got my CNOR certification for OR nursing last year. I need to fulfill my CEU requirement within 5yrs. And do NOT want to wait till the last minute..no way am I letting it lapse! I heard there are free CEU's out there..what sites are good for that..especially OR related?
    Thanks!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jwwi

jwwi DIS Veteran

First congratulations! I am an OR nurse too. I live in a state that doesn't require CEUs, but understand that certifications often do. Every year there is a free conference in my city put on by the American Cancer Society that is free, check their website, and get on a mailing list. I would imagine that they do this throughout the US. The conference is 1/2 day, and is held at a local hotel. There are a variety of professionals that attend, so not all is pertinent to nursing, but I have enjoyed attending.
    Also check out your local technical school, I have found very reasonable one day conferences, 30-40.00/day, including lunch.

4. cdrn1

cdrn1 <font color=royalblue>what I wouldn't give to have

Google "medscape nurse education".

5. mrudman

mrudman DIS Veteran

My hospital subscribes to CE Direct, so that's where I get all mine from. I love it.

6. ElenaRN

ElenaRN Mouseketeer

I'm not an OR nurse, but I usually google "free nursing CEUs" and see if I find anything applicable.

I have also found a lot on Nurse.com.

Hope that helps.

7. Fire14

Fire14 Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Not sure if free but I've used/looked at:
    Ceufast.com
    netce.com
    nursingcenter.com
    ce4nurses.org
    americannurses.com
    nurse.com
    myfreece.com
    rn.com
    westernschools.com
    homesteadschools.com
    learningtext.com
    ceprofessoronline.com
    prnce.com
    dynamicnursingeducation.com
    aaaceus.com
    learnwell.org
    medceu.com

8. disney5

disney5 Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great ideas...and lists of websites.
    Snowed in today so will start looking into some of these!!

9. SarahKate

SarahKate DIS Veteran

Without knowing where you are, many of these may not apply but here are things I could think of.

Does your hospital have an education department where you could see if any conferences are coming up?
    Any med schools in your area? Sometimes they will sponsor CE programs
    Any community colleges that offer conferences for healthcare providers?
    Does your hospital have a learning management system? By that I mean a system where you complete online regulatory modules? If so you might see if there are any that your hospital has purchased to offer to nurses?
    My hospital uses a system called HealthStream. We offer some CE within the system but the company also has an online store you can check out for other CE programs. I don't believe those are free but think some of them are fairly low cost.

10. crayon3448

crayon3448 Mouseketeer

I also use medscape. free!

11. ToodlesRN

ToodlesRN Always Dreamin Of Disney

Do you have a nurse clinical educator for your unit? Mine on our unit is always posting websites or free ceu's through grand rounding in the hospital. Each nurse gets education money every year and a group of us nurses join peri-facts for $80 that gives us 25 ceu's a year from doing a quick case study and that is taking out of our education money.

12. MaleficentRN

MaleficentRN DIS Veteran

Congratulations! Just a thought, the CCRN-NIC, requires the CEUs pertain to NICU.I'm sure OR is more broad than NICU, but be careful what your CEUs are in. They are getting pickier and tougher with certification renewal.