River Country

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Planogirl, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

One evening while hanging out at Fort Wilderness, we decided to wander down to River Country. We met a young couple coming out of the old water park. The girl was literally in tears and asked if something couldn't be done to save the place. "I used to play here when I was a child" she said. We went on in and found a park in seemingly perfect repair. The bathrooms were lighted and open and everything seemed to be well taken care of and maintained.

The pool areas were blocked off with walls but of course we peeked over as best we could. Everything we could see seemed to be intact and also in good repair.

Has anyone heard anything recently about the old River Country facility? Will this likely just be another place thats sits with no purpose? I remember a rumor that some or all of the facility could be redone to be an exclusive pool area for Fort Wilderness. I like this idea since Fort Wilderness only has little mediocre pools and this would definitely be enough to make me pay premium prices for the cabins. I could also see the Wilderness Lodge particularly the WL villas having access. The lady urged us to write Disney and to ask others to write but this hasn't seemed to help much in the past. Any thoughts or info anyone?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Another Voice

Another Voice Charter Member of The Element

The system for River Country uses water directly from Bay Lake. Since the water quality in Disney's lakes is now below acceptable levels they had no choice but to close them (according to the "rumors").

To reopen the place they will either need to build the water treatment project for the property (cancelled over a year ago) or to dam off River Country and build a recycled and purified water system. That will cost money too; more than they think is justified by selling campsites.

4. MELSMICE

MELSMICE Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be

How about tearing down the raft rides, etc. that are in the lake water, closing the beach to swimming & keeping the pool open for FW guests?

What a shame that everything should sit there unused. I love FW & have always thought it would be a great idea to give the guests the RC pool as their main pool.

I guess it sounds easier than it must be.

5. HB2K

HB2K I Spit Hot Fire!

At this rate, there will be so many relics & remains, Geraldo will do a special unlocking the secrets of WDW's Past...

6. MELSMICE

LOL :jester:

7. HB2K

HB2K I Spit Hot Fire!

I can see it now....in the dark of night, Geraldo & his film crew assemble in the back of Fantasyland.....where legend has it that the quiet lagoon once housed some type of submarine ride....oh the suspense....first they pry open the gate and in go the cameras. We've got divers with the latest waterproof cameras headed down to the darkest portion of the lagoon.....Oh my god, they've found a track....

Then for a sequel (take it from the pros) they head out to the mysterious island in the middle of the lake.....

8. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I love the idea of Geraldo doing a special about WDW secrets of the past or maybe Leonard Nimoy could do another "In Search Of.." Maybe they could search for any trace of the reputed sinkhole where Horizons used to be or investigate the buildings that once housed both ends of the skyride. Coincidently, my son asked about both of them on this trip. Hey, one looks cute and the other holds up a waterfall. :)

And why should a River Country refurbishment be just a matter of campsites? What about more cabins? Those places don't come cheap!

But with Ei$ner in charge, I guess that I already know the answer.

9. bianca

bianca DIS Veteran

The campsites at FW are comparable in price to any of the resorts on property. Campsites run $50-70 per night ...... about the same as All-Stars with a discount. Considering that one Comfort Station provides showers and phone service for 50-100 campsites and that no maid service is required for each site, a profit is most definitely being made on this resort ..... in addition to the fact that it always has a higher percentage of guests staying than the other on-property resorts (with the exception of DVC). For this reason alone, they should consider cleaning up River Country and adding it to the FW amenities. FYI ..... FW is also the only WDW resort that does not have a hot tub!

10. KNWVIKING

KNWVIKING DIS Veteran

Last I knew, Poly didn't have one either.

11. owensamo

owensamo DIS Veteran

This is just a rumor I read elsewhere (I think on rec.arts.disney.parks), so it's coming like 15th hand from me, but...

I read that one of the problems with River Country is that the supports holding up the slides were built out of wood rather than metal, and the wood is almost totally rotted away. The post I read said that there is fear of the safety of the demolition crews, which is one (probably minor) reason nothing's been done yet - the cost for even tearing it down is more than they're willing to spend right now. The original post did say that rumor has it that there is a remote possibility that the main pool may end up reused for FW.

Mur!

12. mom_rules

mom_rules <font color=FF66FF>LOVES the Yachtsmen!<br><font c

So sad!! we really loved River Country.

13. MELSMICE

Us too. It as (was) my favorite water park. I loved the fact that it was small enough that we could find a spot, watch DD's when they went on the raft rides & they always could see & find us no matter where they were. That's not the case at BB or TL. :(

We will miss River Country.

14. Dznefreek

Dznefreek DIS Veteran

NO, NO, for the third time NO! RC has a spillway into Bay Lake.

Even if it did supply RC the rocks in RC are the filtration system and the water was treated with Bromine.

If the lake water is bad why do people still wade in the water at the Poly, the GF, Contemp, and FW. Bay Lake flows freely over the water bridge into the Seven Seas Lagoon.

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I don't buy those rumors either. You can still go water skiing as well.

16. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression

But you can't swim, correct?

:confused:

17. Dznefreek

Dznefreek DIS Veteran

Swim, wade, falling down water skiing what is the difference you are still in the water, and yes you can at WL.

18. KNWVIKING

KNWVIKING DIS Veteran

The is no swimming allowed at WL,(other then the pools), unless something has changed since Dec.

19. crusader

crusader calls the faithful to their knees

You used to be able to swim within a roped area at FW but I haven't stayed there in years. For some reason it was the only lagoon resort which allowed guests to do this.

As for River Country, it was ok but it never felt really clean.

20. TIdoublegaER

TIdoublegaER <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

There is a problem with potentially deadly bacteria the grows in FL lakes. It has to do with the temp of the water, if I remember correctly. When I was in Orlando last April, there were reports on the news of 2 teenagers who were swimming in different lakes becoming critically ill due to this bacteria (neither were at Disney), one later died. I'll try to find a link from the paper on this one because I really don't remember the specifics.

21. KNWVIKING

KNWVIKING DIS Veteran

When we were at WL in Dec I asked a CM if swimming was prohibited at the WL beach because of the infamous brain eating ameba that is in the Florida lakes. I was told "no" and that WDW did not have this problem because the lake was manmade. She stated WL closed the beach because of the water craft and proximity to the docks. She also stated they were working on a solution that would allow swimming to return. But CM's have been known to pass on misimformation in the past.