Rides to Skip?

I liked the treehouse when it was the swiss family treehouse. I got to go back in that last week at WDW and I heard most of the parents explaining to the kids what the treehouse was from. I felt old.

Anyway...at Disneyland, the only thing I've never been on are the canoes. So I'd skip those. I'm too lazy to paddle around. At California Adventure, definitely skip the golden dreams show (although I heard they are getting rid of it.) We skip the sunwheel because it looks a little scary for me...haha.

We finally did most of the rides in the Paradise Pier part of DCA, and, aside from Screamin', I could skip all of them for any future trips. Well, I did like Golden Zephyr, and we were able to just stay on it and ride it a few times in a row, which was kind of fun. But, Mullholland Madness and the Jelly Fish ride were definitely not worth the wait, and my husband said Maliboomer was something he won't repeat. (He almost didn't ride it at all after seeing someone's cell phone fall out of their pocket while they were on the ride. It shattered right in front of him. :eek:) I didn't find the Sun Wheel to be worth the wait, and the moving gondola was definitely queasy making. My older son and I did ride the Orange Stinger, but you can do swing rides at almost any state/county fair, so it wasn't that exciting.

Screamin' is one of the best coasters I've been on. I enjoy Mullholland Maddess too though. If the line is huge I won't ride it but whenever we seem to be there, there's no line. The Jelly Fish thing was kind of dumb for two adults with no kids (we were the only ones in line without kids) but it was a quick wait and I figured I'd do it once. I doubt I'll ever ride it again. I never go on the maliboomer but my hubby likes it. I heard they might get rid of it though. I refuse to ride the sunwheel. Not a fan of ferris wheels since I went on one in a lightning storm when I was little. Golden zepher or whatever that thing is called was okay but nothing exciting. And Orange Stinger kind of freaked me out.

If any of your kids are bothered by 3D movies, stay as far away from Honey, I Shrunk the Audience as possible. I've only seen it at Epcot, but the last time I saw it there my friend's 6-year-old was so scared we couldn't even get him out of the seat to leave because he was hysterically crying. It's really too intense for any of the little ones who don't like 3D.

I can't believe that so many skip the canoes! If you have the right group of people and CM's this ride can be a memory maker. A group of friends and I, ranging in age from 50's to a 6 year old (the oldests Granddaughter) and everywhere in between went on them a few years ago because it had been so long since any of us had riden them.

We almost fell out of the boat laughing we had such a great time. But I would only ride in the summer and with the right group cause other wise it can be a drag.

I am making my niece go on then this summer!

The canoes are way, way underrated and underappreciated. It is a real canoe experience, no tracks to make the journey an exact replica of the last ride as most attractions are.

If you are hung up on the paddle workout factor don't let it stop your fun. You can just pretend to kinda paddle and just enjoy the adventure by letting everybody else do the work, I've done it!

If you say you rode a rocket or a submarine or a mine train or a bobsled at DL it really was just a Disney doo-dad but the canoes, if you said you rode a canoe at DL you really can say it was an actual canoe.

Unless you get a FP I would skip Autopia! That line is a joke!

random....
we were eating at hungry bear once...sitting up on the second level that overlooks the water. we often throw fries into the water for the ducks. our friend wasn't anywhere near the edge so he couldn't see where he was throwing....and he hit someone in the canoes on the head with a fry. i have to admit...it was pretty funny.

random....
we were eating at hungry bear once...sitting up on the second level that overlooks the water. we often throw fries into the water for the ducks. our friend wasn't anywhere near the edge so he couldn't see where he was throwing....and he hit someone in the canoes on the head with a fry. i have to admit...it was pretty funny.

That is funny. Even if I was the victim I would have laughed. What is that referred to, the "Mr. Potato Head canoe story?"

Sorry to contradict....Innovations provided us with one of the memorable moments at DL when we talked to Stitch - I can't say what exactly this is called, but I would ask a CM about Talking with Stitch, Ive heard people still reference it. Canoes are a memory maker. Does anyone remember riding the Donkeys on the trail? The canoes will be this story that your kids tell their kids mark my words. Also, Golden Dreams is going away? - GO AND SEE IT! It is a good show and I always skipped it, but saw it last time. It is a history lesson and is fun to watch. I treasure the things that are fleeting more than anything. If you think something may end, don't miss it!

"golden dreams?" you mean "this is california. lots of people died trying to develop this area." no thanks.

DS would freak out if we didn't go on the carousel at least once every trip ;). And I have rarely had to wait in line for it, so it's a nice easy ride that your 1yo will probably love (of course my DS has never met a carousel he hasn't liked!).

I haven't been on a ton of rides at DL that I wouldn't go on again, but Mr. Toad's and Roger Rabbit are 2 of them - especially with a young child. Winnie the Pooh isn't a very exciting ride, but the line usually isn't very long, and it's a somewhat long ride, so IMO it's worth a shot (and sometimes we go on it twice in a row for that very reason).

Have fun!

I would say pick either the Maliboomer or the Jelly fish, depending on people's comfort level.

Carousels can be skipped unless someone has a passion for them. (Note that Walt designed his to have all white horses because riding "the white horse" was a big deal for his girls. If your kid has such a fetish, leave this on the To Do list.)

If the 8 year old wants to do the coasters you might consider splitting your party for a couple hours and having one parent do those while the other takes the little ones on things like Casey Jr. which might bore the 8 year old.

I strongly recommend reading The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland by Bob Sehlinger. It has different ratings for different age groups for all of the rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter