Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets Oct DISmeet Trip. 5/6-Ch 14 Closing Thoughts

Did you start and I missed it??? :confused3:rolleyes1
Working on a Day 1 update now. Got pictures uploaded to PB. Now time to get on the writing. :surfweb:
I read your intro a couple of days ago and then forgot to check in! I'm here now so now you and Glen can start the jokes that go over my head! :duck:
Dan can start pre-emptively shouting out answers to future quiz questions, Rosie can start dancing.. and we can all .party:
About time! I was waiting on your return to get things moving around here..... :rolleyes1
I am not the one who puts the double entendres on EVERYTHING that is said....:rotfl2::lmao: I saw my email... :rolleyes1 You forget Marv (well, not really :love:) but I am an overworked, sleep deprived lady...who hasn't played in a loooong time...NOW, what are you going to do with that! :eek:
For once I think I will just........keep my mouth shut!!! :angel:
THIS!! :thumbsup2 On ALL counts!!! I am afraid I just can't keep up with you...;) By the time I catch up, you will have moved on...
:confused:
Aw, thanks for the welcome. You really mean it, right? Am I really and truly welcome because sometimes I don't know with you...:rolleyes1 Just kidding!
:guilty:
Really? So I add something positive to your TR's then? That's good to know.;) I am looking forward to hearing about it too! No stress trip? What is that?? I've not had one in years.:laughing:
I'm having a really hard time deciding exactly how I want to write the first part of this TR because of it...... :rolleyes:
Get used to that feeling of "did I miss an update?" Mary, Marv marches to the beat of his own drum when it comes to actually DOING an update.
:headache:
So this is where all the cool people hang out !! Mind if I join in ?? I'm cool .. I promise. :cool2:
:welcome: Michelle!!! Not ALL of them hang out here, but now that you made it over we are one closer......
I love you, Molly. :lmao:
:mad:

Don't know about you but it was too nice here to be inside. :)

Hey Marv- I am just trying to buy you some time on that update.

I had to reschedule this trip a couple of times because of work. When I got our final DVC reservations, we were still able to get a room at Old Key West. We had stayed there on a previous trip and really enjoyed it. This time I knew they had been doing extensive refurbishment at OKW, and we were anxious to see how much different it was. The other thing that is great about OKW is that the rooms are some of the largest of the DVC resorts, which gives us lots more room to spread out.

Every time we go to Orlando for a Disney trip, I try to figure out how I can squeeze in an extra day or two. This trip was no different as we drove part of the way on Thursday evening after I got off work. I didn’t want to push it too much, but I knew if we could get a little closer, we could arrive early enough that I could plan a good meal when we arrived, and maybe even squeeze in an extra day in a park on Friday night.

We got up Friday morning, checked out of our hotel near Macon, Georgia and headed out for the remainder of our drive to Orlando. Everything went smoothly and we were right on the schedule I had hoped to meet. :goodvibes Our first two nights would be at the Quality Suites, Lake Buena Vista, before moving into OKW on Sunday. This was a new location for us but I had wanted to try it as it came highly rated. We arrived early and after a little delay getting checked in (they were still cleaning the room) we got to our room and were very pleased. We had a two-room suite with a full kitchen. The separate bedroom had two queen beds, and the living room area had a sleeper sofa. I think this may become our standard off-site hotel in the future as it was very clean, roomy, and a great place for larger families for short or longer stays. :cloud9:

After quickly getting settled we headed to Downtown Disney for our 5:00pm dinner ADR at House of Blues. This was a new location for us to eat, and Jonathan had been the biggest proponent of giving it a try, but we were all really looking forward to this meal since the menu sounded very interesting. We arrived early at DTD, but it took a couple trips through the parking lot to find a spot to park. We knew we had some time before we had to check in for dinner, so we took some time to check out some of the stores along the way. We toured Disney’s Candy Cauldron, D Street where I actually spent some time checking out the Vinylmations for the first time, the Harley-Davidson store, and RIDEMAKERZ, which the boys really enjoyed.

Even with quick stops along the way, we arrived at House of Blues about 45 minutes early, so we checked out the Company Store. Of course we had to get our traditional salute to Kathy and Mark with some hat pics! This time, everyone got in on the action.
1905-1.jpg

1906.jpg

1907.jpg

Okay, who’s the smart-aleck????
1908.jpg

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops! :rolleyes1 I hoped there wasn’t any security around to get on my case, but I hear that is more likely at the Lego Store.

We still had 30 minutes until our ADR, but I figured that wasn’t too early to check in, and maybe we would get in early. Our plans were to eat and then head to DHS, so that would give us some extra time in the park, or allow us to head back to the room a little earlier. When I checked in the hostesses told us it would only be a few minutes, so I checked out the waiting area. I thought this abstract map of the world on the wall near the restrooms was very interesting.

1909.jpg

With some really close International DISfriends here, I had to zoom in on the area of the map that represented each of them. Can you each find the flag representing your countries???
1910.jpg

We got seated and placed our order. We were using the TIW discount this trip and opted for an appetizer to share. We went with the Crab and Artichoke dip with chips.

1911.jpg

Alison and Jonathan both ordered the Jambalaya.
1912.jpg

Andrew and I had the BBQ Ribs. The roasted corn on the cob was delicious.
1913.jpg

Since we actually had our food around the time of our original ADR time, we were done early and on the way to DHS. I had to get this standard picture to mark our entry to the park, which was right at 6:00pm.

1914.jpg

We had plenty of time to enjoy the park, but what would we try to do this late in the day? We didn’t really have any firm plans except for Star Tours. This had been closed for the update when we had been there before, so this was the first chance to try the new and improved version. We were in no hurry as we strolled along, so I stopped to take a picture you so often miss when hurrying around. This is one of those little touches the Imagineers put in for those who take the time to look up and around at their surroundings.

1915-1.jpg

On our previous trip I stopped with the boys to experience the well with the rope, but Alison hadn’t been with us at the time. We stopped so she could check it out too.
1918.jpg

1917.jpg

We arrived at Star Tours and wouldn’t you know……it was temporarily shut down. There were quite a few people standing around waiting for it to re-open. We discussed what we wanted to do, but the boys didn’t have anything in particular that interested them. Even this late in the day it was evident that we were going to deal with a lot of heat and humidity during our trip. We decided to wait and see if the ride opened again, so we headed into the gift shop and looked around. Andrew decided he needed a picture with some of the stuffed characters.
1920.jpg

Of course we had another opportunity for some hat pics…….
1921.jpg

1922.jpg

After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck. Time for another picture of Andrew acting silly. Not sure where he gets that from……..
1924.jpg

The ride was still closed so we decided we had wasted enough time so we headed back towards the middle of the park to figure out what else we wanted to do. I don’t know if it was just a slow day at DHS, or the heat had run people off early, but the park wasn’t crowded and nobody seemed to be in a hurry to get anywhere in particular.
1919.jpg

There wasn’t a line at The Great Movie Ride when we got there, and we hadn’t done this in a while, so we decided to take a ride. One of the key things we were looking to do this trip was seek out Hidden Mickey’s, so we planned to do a lot of the rides we don’t normally do as often. This time we got the gangster option on the ride, but came up empty on the HMs.

After we exited the Great Movie Ride we headed back towards Star Tours, but it was still shut down. After a quick discussion everyone decided they weren’t really interested in trying anything else, so we headed for the exit and an early evening at the hotel. We had plenty of days still ahead to enjoy, but little did we know this would become a frequent theme for the week.

Next Up Chapter 2 – A Trip to the Magic Kingdom

Oooohh, taking pictures where you're not supposed to! :sad2:

I do that all the time! I'm constantly nervous that the Disney Cops are going to bust me doing something I'm not supposed to do. At least in this case, you could plead your case by saying that you had no idea the sign was there until AFTER the pictures were taken. It's what I use all the time. :laughing:

Sometimes wandering around the park is a good way to end a travel day. I can't wait to see pictures of OKW. I haven't stayed there in a while so the refurb will be new to me.

Well, and here I was coming on to poke fun at you for not having an update done yet!:laughing:

Every time we go to Orlando for a Disney trip, I try to figure out how I can squeeze in an extra day or two. This trip was no different as we drove part of the way on Thursday evening after I got off work. I didn’t want to push it too much, but I knew if we could get a little closer, we could arrive early enough that I could plan a good meal when we arrived, and maybe even squeeze in an extra day in a park on Friday night.

Me too, I try to do whatever I can to tweak an extra day somewhere. A couple of trips ago, we lucked out and there was a snow storm back home! Stayed two extra days, score!

Even with quick stops along the way, we arrived at House of Blues about 45 minutes early, so we checked out the Company Store. Of course we had to get our traditional salute to Kathy and Mark with some hat pics! This time, everyone got in on the action.

1905-1.jpg

Nice Michael Jackson pose!:thumbsup2 Clearly he gets his rhythm from Allison...:rolleyes1

1908.jpg

I'm gonna say Drew!:laughing:

When I checked in the hostesses told us it would only be a few minutes, so I checked out the waiting area. I thought this abstract map of the world on the wall near the restrooms was very interesting.

1909.jpg

Love this! It's pretty cool, could you tell what it was made out of?

With some really close International DISfriends here, I had to zoom in on the area of the map that represented each of them. Can you each find the flag representing your countries???
1910.jpg

I see London, I see France, I see...

1913.jpg

Holy cow, that corn looks amazing! Seriously, anything on the grill is delicious, right?

On our previous trip I stopped with the boys to experience the well with the rope, but Alison hadn’t been with us at the time. We stopped so she could check it out too.
1918.jpg

1917.jpg

Ok, I've read about this but never knew where in the heck it was located! Now I know, thanks Marv.:thumbsup2 Who knew you could actually learn something here, shocking.

We decided to wait and see if the ride opened again, so we headed into the gift shop and looked around. Andrew decided he needed a picture with some of the stuffed characters.
1920.jpg

Super cute pic.:goodvibes He looks like a young Luke Skywalker.:thumbsup2

1922.jpg

Hey, it's Marv 2D2.

After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck. Time for another picture of Andrew acting silly. Not sure where he gets that from……..
1924.jpg

Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it Marv.;)

There wasn’t a line at The Great Movie Ride when we got there, and we hadn’t done this in a while, so we decided to take a ride. One of the key things we were looking to do this trip was seek out Hidden Mickey’s, so we planned to do a lot of the rides we don’t normally do as often. This time we got the gangster option on the ride, but came up empty on the HMs.

I like the cowboy option better myself. We looked for those elusive HM's on that ride too. I think we went cross-eyed after awhile looking!:laughing:

After we exited the Great Movie Ride we headed back towards Star Tours, but it was still shut down. After a quick discussion everyone decided they weren’t really interested in trying anything else, so we headed for the exit and an early evening at the hotel. We had plenty of days still ahead to enjoy, but little did we know this would become a frequent theme for the week.

:eek:A little foreshadowing going on? I hope that wasn't the case!

Fab update Marv. You accomplished quite a bit for your arrival day, good work!:thumbsup2 And here I thought you were a slacker.:rolleyes: Oh, and two and a half Allisons. Wait, wrong TR, sorry.

1908.jpg

That's you!

Oh, you mean who's holding up the bunny ears behind you. Nevermind. ;)

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops!

Doesn't take you long to start breaking the rules. :sad2:

1910.jpg

Yep, stars and stripes on the left side of the picture.
patriotic.gif

1913.jpg

Mmmm, looks good.

We arrived at Star Tours and wouldn’t you know……it was temporarily shut down.

After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck.

Bummer. Hope you eventually got to try it out.

There are few things better than crossing under the arch and stepping on Disney Property. :cloud9:

So you never even had the VooDoo shrimp? Poor thing. :sad2:

1908.jpg

Did Molly sneak down to Disney to do this to you, Marv?

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops! :rolleyes1

Shame, shame, shame! :laughing:

We got seated and placed our order. We were using the TIW discount this trip and opted for an appetizer to share. We went with the Crab and Artichoke dip with chips.

1911.jpg

Alison and Jonathan both ordered the Jambalaya.
1912.jpg

1913.jpg

Dinner looks yummy.

1922.jpg

Oh my....I believe I'm speechless.

1924.jpg

Like father, like son.

Next Up Chapter 2 – A Trip to the Magic Kingdom

We haven't had the gangster in years.

Although you didn't get a lot done, I know you were happy to get there and get settled.

well Since I have the double post I might s well comment about the hats.

I think you did a great tribute to Kathy!!!

Can you provide a link to the hotel you stayed at? I wanted to check it out online, but am having trouble finding a "Comfort Suites Lake Buena Vista". (Or maybe you're just making all of this up?)
shifty.gif

Can you provide a link to the hotel you stayed at? I wanted to check it out online, but am having trouble finding a "Comfort Suites Lake Buena Vista". (Or maybe you're just making all of this up?)
shifty.gif

Comfort Suites Maingate East(FL140)

Compare Hotel

2775 Florida Plaza Blvd

Kissimmee, FL, US, 34746

Comfort suites

Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure since it wasn't Lake Buena Vista. The Lake Buena Vista hotels that sounded most like it were Quality Suites.

Of Course it could still be the quality suites. ;) I just looked at the map view and tried to think like Marv on how far a radius I should draw. :laughing:

I subbed to your last TR but got hopelessly behind. This time I am in from the beginning to the end. Great start to your TR. I just stayed at OKW in December and really enjoyed it!

Don't know about you but it was too nice here to be inside.

Hey Marv- I am just trying to buy you some time on that update.
Thanks! You know I can use all the help I can get!!!

Oooohh, taking pictures where you're not supposed to! :sad2:

I do that all the time! I'm constantly nervous that the Disney Cops are going to bust me doing something I'm not supposed to do. At least in this case, you could plead your case by saying that you had no idea the sign was there until AFTER the pictures were taken. It's what I use all the time.

Sometimes wandering around the park is a good way to end a travel day. I can't wait to see pictures of OKW. I haven't stayed there in a while so the refurb will be new to me.
Thanks Danielle! I truly didn't know the sign was there until after!!! Took lots of pictures of our room at OKW, so hopefully you will get to enjoy those soon!

Well, and here I was coming on to poke fun at you for not having an update done yet!
I figured it was about that time. That's why I was trying to hurry and get it posted...... ;)
Me too, I try to do whatever I can to tweak an extra day somewhere. A couple of trips ago, we lucked out and there was a snow storm back home! Stayed two extra days, score!
Wow, controlling the weather! I'm not messing with you anymore! :scared1: All I can do is figure out a way to leave a day or two early from work.
Nice Michael Jackson pose!:thumbsup2 Clearly he gets his rhythm from Allison...
Yeah, clearly......... :sad2:
Love this! It's pretty cool, could you tell what it was made out of?
Although I'm sure it was completely planned, it looked like somebody just took a bunch of wood scraps, slapped on some paint, and pieced it all together! Part of what made it interesting.

Holy cow, that corn looks amazing! Seriously, anything on the grill is delicious, right?
Can't argue with you there! :goodvibes
Ok, I've read about this but never knew where in the heck it was located! Now I know, thanks Marv. Who knew you could actually learn something here, shocking.
It is right outside of the Indy show!.........and thanks so much........ :guilty:
Hey, it's Marv 2D2.
:rotfl2:
Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it Marv.
Alison again??? :confused:
I like the cowboy option better myself. We looked for those elusive HM's on that ride too. I think we went cross-eyed after awhile looking!
We found a lot of HMs this trip, but sadly not on the GMR! :confused3
A little foreshadowing going on? I hope that wasn't the case!
We shall see.......... :rolleyes:
Love you too Kat!:hug:
Oh brother.....the mutual admiration society!!! :sad2:
That's you!

Oh, you mean who's holding up the bunny ears behind you. Nevermind.
:mad:......:rotfl:
Doesn't take you long to start breaking the rules. :sad2:
You mean "Make New Rules!!!" :laughing:
Mmmm, looks good.
Tasted better!!!
Bummer. Hope you eventually got to try it out.
We had at least a couple more days to work it in.
So you never even had the VooDoo shrimp? Poor thing.
This TR covers a couple of different trips, so we made it back before the menu change! :banana:

Did Molly sneak down to Disney to do this to you, Marv?
Although I wouldn't put such behavior past her.......that would be a no! :lmao:

Dinner looks yummy.
We all really enjoyed it! :lovestruc

Oh my....I believe I'm speechless.
Whoa......... :eek:

Like father, like son.
And what is THAT supposed to mean??? :headache:

Nevermind, you're probably right.......

well Since I have the double post I might s well comment about the hats.

I think you did a great tribute to Kathy!!!
Thanks!

Comfort Suites Maingate East(FL140)
Wow, you two are starting to read like Dan spells........Go back and re-read.....it plainly says Quality Suites in my update....... :rolleyes1
Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure since it wasn't Lake Buena Vista. The Lake Buena Vista hotels that sounded most like it were Quality Suites.
Glenn gets the bonus point for being Mr. Observant! Yes it was actually a Quality Suites. The hotel we have normally used in the past was a Comfort Suites! I guess I should have taken some pictures to help my memory along!
Of Course it could still be the quality suites. I just looked at the map view and tried to think like Marv on how far a radius I should draw. :laughing:
Dangerous! Very Dangerous!

I subbed to your last TR but got hopelessly behind. This time I am in from the beginning to the end. Great start to your TR. I just stayed at OKW in December and really enjoyed it!
:welcome: Mary Ellen! Glad you decided to join in again! Hopefully I can keep this one moving along good enough for people to stay interested......

Dan is on a roll over at Glenn's PTR, he's the one to beat! Well, him and Magdalene. I've given up on getting any answers correct.:headache: :laughing:
stop putting a target on my back i was trying to slowely increase my lead.

enjoyed the update marv, but wondering what that lovely piece of grass tasted like on the jumbalya...

Great hat pics! Too bad star tours never got back up and running that day. Very neat abstract globe. I spotted my country :teeth:

Wow, you two are starting to read like Dan spells........Go back and re-read.....it plainly says Quality Suites in my update....... :rolleyes1

Whaaa....... ????? ;)

Nice try Marv. Well shoot if you have to lie about where you stayed how do I even know you went to Disney at all?:lmao:

Glenn gets the bonus point for being Mr. Observant! Yes it was actually a Quality Suites. The hotel we have normally used in the past was a Comfort Suites! I guess I should have taken some pictures to help my memory along!

Yeah Yeah now he wants us to think he just forgot to take pictures, and that's why where he stayed slipped his mind.
How long ago was this trip? :rolleyes1
Do you think that may have something to do with it? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Dangerous! Very Dangerous!

See where it got me???? I defend you and then you change your story. :eek:

ETA: Why is your TR giving me more grief than anyone else's????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter