RFID during Magic refit?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by slzer0, Sep 17, 2013.

1. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

That was a misconception many of us had about the kid club bracelets. It simply scans when the kid goes in and out of the club. There is no GPS device in the device.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wdw_monster

wdw_monster Mouseketeer

I think theatric band would be great on the cruise, better then having to carry that card with you everywhere but I guess you would have to have your Id with you still

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

4. wdw_monster

wdw_monster Mouseketeer

* the magic band dang auto spell

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

5. erocrobro

erocrobro DIS Veteran

I would definitely vote for the bands both on the cruise and in the parks. I don't carry a purse on a cruise, and I wore a lot of maxi dresses or sundresses with no pockets. That meant I had to wear my KTTW card around my neck on a lanyard, but remove it every time we did a picture. Removing a bracelet wouldn't mess up my hair like removing a lanyard (I know, girl problems!) Also, I'm sure my kids would much rather wear a Mickey Band than the chunky monitor they wear for the clubs.

6. perfectmatch300

perfectmatch300 DIS Veteran

We are among the group who would greatly prefer to use a card as opposed to a band.

7. n8nally

n8nally DIS Veteran

I heard the same thing from the big wig Disney execs that were showing annual passholders the MagicBands over the summer at Odyssey at Epcot!

8. truck1

truck1 Growing older but not up.

The original ones did. I think they still do. There was a thread not long ago where someone's child fell asleep in a dead zone in a club and the family got mad because no one could find them. The cm told the family that the child hadn't checked out. It wasn't showing a location in the club. I'm not going to debate how and how long it took to find the child but the systems been there. The way the I found out was I was talking to the cm while waiting for my kids. They told me at the time the system was only in place on the ship. They were working on CC next. That was in 09 or 10ish. It came about from parents coming to get there kids and the crew having to track the kids down on the phone during scavenger hunts for example. .I'm pretty sure that the bands they use for the kids clubs are the same as the magic bands the difference being what programs are loaded and enabled.

9. seashellmama

seashellmama Mouseketeer

Neither the Magic Bands nor the kids club Mickey Bands have GPS, or any other locating device. They may both have active RFID, but it was made very clear when we signed the kids up last week that they do NOT have the ability to tell where a kid is on the ship.

10. cypressmom

cypressmom Love my Disney vacations!

Are they waterproof?

11. jjje

jjje One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to d

When we were on the Magic this past February my husband asked specifically about the bracelets and GPS capability and we were told the bracelets do NOT work that way. They can tell if the kid is in the Lab or the Club because kids are required to tap in and tap out of each area. They can't tell you any more than that.

12. TwinPrincessMermaids

TwinPrincessMermaids DIS Veteran

A few things...

First of all, adorable lanyards with blingy bling are finally available everywhere and man have I got a collection!

Second, I 'second' the PP who said that the ports require a ship card and ID. They definitely do. The odds of Nassau, Jamaica or the other islands getting readers is silly. And if you show them a band, I seriously doubt they would accept that. I for one am glad that they are trying to help ensure that only cruise guests are allowed on the pier, etc.

I can definitely see the perks for the kids clubs and for the WDW parks.

A ship with out a key card...well that's like a sundae without choc syrup to me!

13. Keggy

Keggy <font color=blue>So this is a first for us<br><fon

On the Fantasy last year when we were picking up a child from the kids club the Screen that the CM was looking at had little lights of where all the kids were and was able to tell us that she was in the Fairy room. What was this?

14. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

DCL could lend scanners to port security for use while the ship is in port.

15. cajunprincess

cajunprincess DIS Veteran

While I am not that excited about the MB in the parks, I think it would be great for the cruise. I try to carry around as little as possible when on board. :)

16. seashellmama

seashellmama Mouseketeer

Yes.

17. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

That's right, I wouldn't!! I would MUCH prefer a lanyard around my neck than a bracelet!!! To each his/her own....MY preference is clearly a lanyard! :)