RFID during Magic refit?

slzer0

DIS Veteran
I was just reading about MagicBands, and I was thinking... wouldnt it make sense for the refit to include the MB tech, if theyre planning on eventually moving the cruises to MB vs KTTW?

Although the lights are KTTW-based. But then they have to know people are working around that.

Thoughts?
Anyon
He cruising Magic when she's back at sea, maybe keep an eye out?

Magic bands as opposed to KTTW on the ships would be great. Less worry about the kids losing them. And one less thing to remember to grab on the way out the door is always a good thing.

This was brought up on the boards the other day and I am not sure how I would feel. I do not think I would like to wear the band all week long on a cruise. Many kids were complaining about wearing the thinner kids club bracelets so I don't know how they would feel about the bigger MB's.

MJ

This was brought up on the boards the other day and I am not sure how I would feel. I do not think I would like to wear the band all week long on a cruise. Many kids were complaining about wearing the thinner kids club bracelets so I don't know how they would feel about the bigger MB's.

While the paper band portion of the kids club band is thin, the device is decidedly not thin- it's like a bulky watch. My kids dealt OK with them (one took hers off the first night, but was able to sleep with it the other two nights), but didn't love them at all. The magic bands are soft and smooth- both of my kids have left theirs on almost continuously for the past five nights (I see that the same daughter who took the kids club band off once has her magic band and watch off right now while she sleeps), and they're easy to take off and put back on (but hard to remove accidentally). At the Great Wolf Lodge, they have paper RFID wristbands which are really convenient, too, but I especially like that I *can* take the MB off because sometimes I get sensory overload and need to change things up.

Anyway, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to- it could go in a pocket or looped around a lanyard on your neck, to give little difference from having a card.

All that to say, we are loving the Magic Bands here at WDW for the ease and convenience of not having to dig the card out, and especially for the kids to be able to keep theirs easily (including while swimming), and would have definitely enjoyed having them on the ship last week.

MJ

We're back from our vacation just over a week now, and my DD wears her Magic Band as an ACCESSORY, lol! She had it on the other day for church and I asked her what she was doing with her MagicBand on (our annual passes are tied to them so I would rather not lose them since we will be using them often) and she replied simply: "I like it!"

I was just reading about MagicBands, and I was thinking... wouldnt it make sense for the refit to include the MB tech, if theyre planning on eventually moving the cruises to MB vs KTTW?

Although the lights are KTTW-based. But then they have to know people are working around that.

Thoughts?
Anyon
He cruising Magic when she's back at sea, maybe keep an eye out?

My guess is, they probably are!

Why not? You wouldnt prefer a bracelet to a card hanging around your neck?

I don't like either of them. I put my KTTW card in my pocket. I wouldn't want one of those bands in my pocket all day. I don't want a tan line from that when I get home and I wouldn't wear them in pictures. We always cut the kids' bands off when they weren't in the club for that reason as well.

I think it would be great, We found them very easy and comfortable to wear last month in wdw. even the girls who don't like wearing the Kids club bands as they irritate.

I would love it. DH and I were surprised on our August Fantasy cruise that Disney doesn't use this technology; we went on a cruise for our honeymoon in 2002 and had RFID bands on Princess Cruise Line. For me the KTTW cards were a pain; I don't wear pants/shorts (only dresses and skirts) so I never had pockets, and I can't stand wearing things like that on my neck, so I ended up carrying a purse almost the whole cruise. It was also an issue when we were in the pools.

I have not seen the magic bands, but Great Wolf Lodge has some nice wrist bands that you can charge to, and open your hotel doors with. Just a tap & go technology and very thin! DS6 finally took his off at the start of school after wearing it all summer long, since mid-June!

They ARE testing Magic Bands on the cruise line 100%. We were told it would be 2-3 years before they make it onto the ships. They actually started testing them first at Castaway Cay.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Why not? You wouldnt prefer a bracelet to a card hanging around your neck?

Magic bands as opposed to KTTW on the ships would be great. Less worry about the kids losing them. And one less thing to remember to grab on the way out the door is always a good thing.

Wouldn't you still need a KTTW card or something similar? Just thinking about times in port where "security" checked our ID's & KTTW cards before allowing us to proceed back to the ship.

Wouldn't you still need a KTTW card or something similar? Just thinking about times in port where "security" checked our ID's & KTTW cards before allowing us to proceed back to the ship.

The band would pull up the same info your KTTW card would.

And you should really carry ID with you whenever you leave the ship anyway.

The band would pull up the same info your KTTW card would.

And you should really carry ID with you whenever you leave the ship anyway.

I'm NOT talking about when you actually board the ship again in port - where the crew member scans your card etc. I said when the "security" in port checks your ID and KTTW card before allowing you to proceed to the ship. Also I never said I wouldn't take my ID with me. I am well aware of the fact that I am required to have it with me when I leave the ship. No need to remind me of that!

Silverfox97 said:
They ARE testing Magic Bands on the cruise line 100%. We were told it would be 2-3 years before they make it onto the ships. They actually started testing them first at Castaway Cay.

Its been around for a while now. In 09 or 10 my kids had them in the clubs on one or both of the classics. At the time it was only the ship. It was supposed to be able to help locate a child at any point on the ships.

Its been around for a while now. In 09 or 10 my kids had them in the clubs on one or both of the classics. At the time it was only the ship. It was supposed to be able to help locate a child at any point on the ships.

Not those truck1; the Magic Bands like they have in the parks that will eventually replace our KTTW cards ;) My daughter has had those Kids Club Mickey Bands since 2010 as well; they have been around a while....

I'm definitely in the "hope they don't" camp. It would be more inconvenient for me to have a band rather than a card. I don't want to have something I need to wear all day just to be able to get into and out of my room. Rather have a flat card in my pocket. Wouldn't need it for photos or anything else that they currently use the Magic Bands for so it is a whole lot of technology for no benefit to me. And the pp is correct, you will need something for port security. On one of our cruises this spring, not only did they look at the KTTW card to make sure we were sailing with Disney, they had to look at the dates to make sure we were sailing with Disney this week. Not info that you can get to them with a Magic Band.

(Other reasons the cards are better: Look better in scrapbooks; when they don't credit a cruise to your CC status, can't send a photocopy of a MagicBand as proof you were there; MagicBands don't fit in the slot to power the electricity in the room (I'd prefer to be a little greener than wear a band all week) and most importantly, I can't look at my dining rotation on a MagicBand.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!