Rewards sites and tax?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by pinkxray, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pinkxray

pinkxray DIS Veteran

I've been a member of Sunshine Rewards for awhile and just joined Swagbucks. I haven't earned much before but am going to try to do a bit better this year.

How much do you have to earn before you have to ask for a statement for your taxes?

Thanks!

2. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

It is possible that these sites have different rules but they should be required to send you a 1099 if you make $600 or more. I know that is when an employer has to do so.

3. marius97

marius97 DIS Veteran

Though for what it is worth, they don't have to send you a 1099 for you to be required to declare the income on your taxes. Any income that you have must be declared unless specifically excluded by the IRS.

4. tar heel

tar heel <font color=royalblue>Where will we get our news i

Tricia, the owner of Sunshine Rewards, is a lawyer and she has addressed this issue on her site. I don't want to risk giving you wrong information, so you might want to do a search or contact her directly about SR proceeds (not calling it income).

One thing I do know for sure is that you don't have to file an income tax return for self employment if you make under $400.