Reviews from August - Kona, WCC, Chefs de France, Brown Derby and Jiko

Mrs.Reese

My name is Dr. Reese and I
Alright this will be review sans pictures. DH said as we were not writing for Zagat pictures were unacceptable.

Day 1 ~ Kona Cafe

Waitress - Debi

Appetizers: Pot Stickers - Hot and yummy. DH would not let me have more than one :( Crab cakes - These were good. I would have liked more spice but I like things really spicy.

Entrees: Filet Mignon was cooked just liked DH ordered it: rare. It came out hot and could be cut with a fork. Shrimp & Scallops were just as good as last time.

Desserts: Torte and Kiddie Kone with pressed pot. I really like the pressed pot. The coffee is so smooth and can honestly be drunk black. The chocolate inside the torte reminds me dark chocolate which is nice because it's not sickeningly sweet.

Overall, We really enjoyed Kona. The atomosphere is nice and peaceful. The food is served promptly and our server was attentive but not in an obtrustive way. I really can't wait to go back.

Day 2 - Whispering Canyon Cafe

After hearing about how loud and fun this place was we decided to give it a try. BIG MISTAKE!! We arrived a few minutes early, checked in and were given a pager.

This was the highlight of my meal.
WaltDisneyWorldAugust2007trip020.jpg

Our server was not into antics at all. She was friendly but part of the attraction of this place was the antics that would be happening. We started off with bottomless milkshakes which were more like soup.

DH ordered the skillet and I had the chicken wings. The wings were very good. DH got his cornbread and greens. He was quite content until they took it away. The skillet was plopped down and the bread was whisked away before he could say anything. Now I know it's a minor thing but there was plenty of room on the table. Leave the man's bread alone!!

The ribs were dry like burnt to a crisp dry. He got them replaced and these were a little better. My prime rib was moist but devoid of almost any seasoning. Horseradish was my best friend. We got our desserts (cheesecake) to go.

Why didn't we complain? Because we were just exhausted at this point!! Will we go back?

No, there's better BBQ to be had at Sonny's.

Day 2 - Whispering Canyon Cafe

After hearing about how loud and fun this place was we decided to give it a try. BIG MISTAKE!! We arrived a few minutes early, checked in and were given a pager.

This was the highlight of my meal.

:thumbsup2 Day 3 ~ Chefs de France :thumbsup2

After the previous night, DH was really hoping for something good and he got it. :jumping3:

The tables are really close together. It seems closer than I remember but the last time I ate here was in 2002. Busy doesn't come close to this place. The secret to the wait staff's slim frames? All the running they must do.

Our waiter was Marc. I really wasn't listening to him because he was just yummy! DH kept having to get me out of my daze but I never there were blond haired-blue eyed frenchman. Ok, onto the food.

Appetizers, cheese plate and escargots. We like. It was good. Entrees, seared tuna and lamb shank. We really like. Desserts, creme brulee and blueberry claufotis. We really, really, really likey.

We were not rushed. Our glasses were always filled unlike the previous evening. :rolleyes1
Will we go back? You betcha, sally baby. :thumbsup2

Good reviews. Sounds like I made the right choice in not booking Whispering Canyon Cafe. Since it's just hubby and I, I thought the "fun" would get to us after a while and we wouldn't really enjoy it.

Thanks for the reviews, especially enjoyed hearing great things about Chefs. We'll be trying it for the first time next trip. I'll keep my eye out for Marc, ooh-la-la!!:dance3:

We ate at CdF for the first time in June. We had not planned it , but a last minute change of plans (DNiece wasn't feeling well that day, so we had to change our dinner ADRs) put us there one evening. All I can say is...oh my gosh, this is what we have been missing on all our WDW trips :)!!! What an incredible meal. DS17 (who is a very picky eater) had escargot (which he LOVED) and seared tuna (which again he LOVED :)). I had the cheese sampler, filet and creme brulee. Everyone in our group (8 in all) very much enjoyed our dinner here. We will definitely be back (especially while using the DDP). Glad you had a great meal too :).

Day 4 ~ Brown Derby

Alright I was mega-excited about eating here. This is a signature restaurant but we were paying OOP on the Fantasmic package. We arrived about 5 mins before our ADR and were seated two minutes later. Our seats were literally just when you walk in next to the stairs. We were able to watch over the entire restaurant which was kind of neat. We were greetly quickly and the package was explained to us. Drinks were brought out as well as the cobb salad for DH and some bread. I had the chowder. We both agreed that it was good but not signature restaurant good. The quality was similar to Kona and Chefs.

DH has rather large bread obsession and his obsession was satisfied tonight. :thumbsup2 We were not rushed with our meal but nor did we feel ignored. DH had the filet and I had the grouper. Here was the letdown happened. The filet was tender but lacked ANY flavor. There was some mildness to it but I expected given it being a signature restaurant that this filet would be more on par with something like Burns Steakhouse. It was more like Outback good but not great. My grouper was the mild child. Nice but again lacking any real distinctive flavoring.

Desserts were flourless chocolate cake and grapefruit cake. The cake is RICH. It was definately designed for the chocoholic in the family. The grapefruit was fabulous. It was both tart, sweet and strangely reminescent of Key Lime Pie. If you like Key lime pie, you'll like the grapefruit cake.

The verdict? Nice but not wow nice. We'll go back but it'll be for lunch.

Loving your reviews so far :thumbsup2 I have ADR's for Chefs de France as well as Brown Derby in Sept - so thanks for the insight...

Thanks for your great reviews!! I also have to agree with your review of Brown Derby. I just don't understand why its a signature dining place. We were there last Sept and it was not worth it. Should have done Flying Fish or California Grill.

Day 5 ~ Jiko

This was it the one I was waiting for. The one everyone said was fabulous. Would I be disappointed? Would the flavors overwhelm?

We arrived right on time. If there is one place that I can find with my eyes closed, its AKL. I had driven there about six times that week because my ability to follow signs is "somewhat lacking." We waited about five minutes and we're lead to our table. We had seated every evening except BD at a table for 4. Nice because we have the room to spread.

We did not receive warm towels for our hands. Not a major annoyance but a slight one. We ordered our appetizers and got our drinks. DH had the cheese plate and I had a flat bread. The cheese plate was not explained when delivered but then again it wasn't delivered by our waiter. Our waiter did stop and explain it later. I found the flatbread to be good. The cheese plate though was wonderful. There was this creamy goat cheese that I couldn't get enough of.

Appetizer time! DH had the filet and I had the beef short ribs. DH laughed initially at mac-n-cheese but boy did he change his mind. I was eating my short ribs thinking I'm doing good. I might actually finish when I turned the plate and saw the three pounds remaining. The spices were good. I think they may have just a tinge too much tamarind on it but it was dream about it that night good.

And now for the grand finale: desserts. We both had coffee. DH had the pyramid and I had the apple dessert. I know this will sound strange but the pyramid flavors just didn't seem to mesh well together. There wasn't a true blend of flavors. Each was very distinctive and almost overpowing. The apple dessert used way too much tamarind. This dessert would have been wonderful if it had been toned down.

The verdict? Very good if your looking for a different kind of experience. DH liked it but felt that the food at Boma was pretty much the same at half the cost. DH was also upset that there were no zebra domes. He mentioned it to the waiter who went and got him a box of them so all was well. Next time we'll at Boma.

Final thoughts:
Kona - still a favorite
WCC - never again
Chefs - yes but a plus if yummy Marc is still there
Brown Derby - lunch is the best bet
Jiko- Enjoyed it but Boma is honestly just as good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter