Reviews for Edge Tween Club

We did B2Bs on the Dream this summer and my DS was 11. I hardly saw him. It got to the point I felt guilty at times.

We made the kids go to dinner with us each night, except the 1 night we went to Palo. That day I literally saw him when I was leaving the room to go to breakfast in the morning(he was still in bed), I then spotted him once running around the ship with a friend while they were doing a scavenger hunt (he never saw me), then I saw him again in the room at night when we were going to bed. This was of course the most extreme of the days, but you get the idea.;) He loved it and the freedom that comes with it.

We did B2Bs on the Dream this summer and my DS was 11. I hardly saw him. It got to the point I felt guilty at times.

We made the kids go to dinner with us each night, except the 1 night we went to Palo. That day I literally saw him when I was leaving the room to go to breakfast in the morning(he was still in bed), I then spotted him once running around the ship with a friend while they were doing a scavenger hunt (he never saw me), then I saw him again in the room at night when we were going to bed. This was of course the most extreme of the days, but you get the idea.;) He loved it and the freedom that comes with it.

I noticed in your signature that we'll be at Disneyland tha same time ;-)

We have three boys, ages 4, 11 and 12 and our older boys enjoyed the Edge on the Dream in August. I'll summarize their thoughts:

1) The Space. It looks very cool, and has an amazing view. We all went together during open house on the first day and I was impressed by the decor and by the technology in the room. Interestingly, this was not a big draw for our boys. That's actually a good thing because if the draw was the technology, I'd be more worried about whether they'll like the Edge on the Wonder next summer. They didn't spend any time using the video games or the TVs in the Edge, except when it was part of an activity.

2) The Activities. This was the big draw for our boys, but mostly after dinner in the evenings. We were at no risk of losing the two of them to the tween club during the day - I think they went once during the day. Based on the advice on these boards, I encouraged them to go on the first night. This, they said, was essential. The "choose your cruise" and the opportunity to meet the counselors was big. They didn't interact with other kids because they have each other, but they did have positive things to say about the counselors. The counselors did skits to introduce the different activities and the boys thought that was silly, but in a good, fun way. They participated in gaga ball, ghost voyagers, movie night and the pirate prep activity before the fireworks. They also did a silly science activity and said it was very cool - and the counselor in the Edge was much more entertaining than the counselor leading silly science in the Oceaneer lab. They saw other daytime activities that interested them, but neither of them wanted to go alone, so it would take two votes for an activity before they would participate. For example, our 11-year-old wanted to participate in some of the sports-related activities, but our 12-year-old was more interested in playing in the club/lab with our 4-year-old.

3) The Independence. This was another factor that contributed to their overall positive experience with the Edge. They never felt they had to be there - it was their choice. They could come and go. They could watch 1/2 a movie in the Edge and then get ice cream on Deck 11. They always let us know where they were going - the wave phones were wonderful - and I only worried a little bit. :)

4) Overlap with the Oceaneer Club/Lab. They would also spend time in the lab/club activities as visitors. They would just show up at the gate and tell the CM they were visiting their little brother. The CM would tell the older boys where to find their little brother and let them in. It was all in the name of hanging out with their little brother - they watched or helped our 4-year-old participate in the Stitch building activity, the Piston Cup Races, etc. But the one activity that the older boys would have done without their little brother in the lab was flubber making (also available in the Edge - just not at the time they preferred.) This space was far too young for them, but they still found some of the activities interesting.

I hope this helps a little, and I hope this thread continues! I'm happy to answer any questions (or ask our boys) because I remember how difficult it was to find Edge info before the cruise. And I'll look forward to hearing more about the Edge on the Wonder!!!

My daughter, age 12, was very disappointed with Edge. She loved the Lab and Club on the Magic, but Edge is rather small. It almost seemed like it was an afterthought. She did a few things there, and her favorites were making pizza and cookies, but she spent much less time there than she did on previous cruises when she was in the Lab and Club. She is outgoing and makes new friends quickly, but she felt like there wasn't a lot to do in the Edge. We are waiting until 2013for our Fantasy cruise because she wants to go to Vibe.

We have three boys, ages 4, 11 and 12 and our older boys enjoyed the Edge on the Dream in August. I'll summarize their thoughts:

1) The Space. It looks very cool, and has an amazing view. We all went together during open house on the first day and I was impressed by the decor and by the technology in the room. Interestingly, this was not a big draw for our boys. That's actually a good thing because if the draw was the technology, I'd be more worried about whether they'll like the Edge on the Wonder next summer. They didn't spend any time using the video games or the TVs in the Edge, except when it was part of an activity.

2) The Activities. This was the big draw for our boys, but mostly after dinner in the evenings. We were at no risk of losing the two of them to the tween club during the day - I think they went once during the day. Based on the advice on these boards, I encouraged them to go on the first night. This, they said, was essential. The "choose your cruise" and the opportunity to meet the counselors was big. They didn't interact with other kids because they have each other, but they did have positive things to say about the counselors. The counselors did skits to introduce the different activities and the boys thought that was silly, but in a good, fun way. They participated in gaga ball, ghost voyagers, movie night and the pirate prep activity before the fireworks. They also did a silly science activity and said it was very cool - and the counselor in the Edge was much more entertaining than the counselor leading silly science in the Oceaneer lab. They saw other daytime activities that interested them, but neither of them wanted to go alone, so it would take two votes for an activity before they would participate. For example, our 11-year-old wanted to participate in some of the sports-related activities, but our 12-year-old was more interested in playing in the club/lab with our 4-year-old.

3) The Independence. This was another factor that contributed to their overall positive experience with the Edge. They never felt they had to be there - it was their choice. They could come and go. They could watch 1/2 a movie in the Edge and then get ice cream on Deck 11. They always let us know where they were going - the wave phones were wonderful - and I only worried a little bit. :)

4) Overlap with the Oceaneer Club/Lab. They would also spend time in the lab/club activities as visitors. They would just show up at the gate and tell the CM they were visiting their little brother. The CM would tell the older boys where to find their little brother and let them in. It was all in the name of hanging out with their little brother - they watched or helped our 4-year-old participate in the Stitch building activity, the Piston Cup Races, etc. But the one activity that the older boys would have done without their little brother in the lab was flubber making (also available in the Edge - just not at the time they preferred.) This space was far too young for them, but they still found some of the activities interesting.

I hope this helps a little, and I hope this thread continues! I'm happy to answer any questions (or ask our boys) because I remember how difficult it was to find Edge info before the cruise. And I'll look forward to hearing more about the Edge on the Wonder!!!

Perfectly stated. I think the independence issue was the biggest draw for my 12 year-old this summer. While we laid down a LOT of rules, the fact that we trusted him (if he didn't mess up) to have that freedom was the biggest draw of all. And the CM's did a masterful job of making sure all were having the best time possible. And next summer when we sail the Dream again I know my wife and I can go to Remy or Palo and our son will be just fine hanging out in the Edge!!

one problem of Edge for my family...
My oldest daughter never came back to room from there until dinner time :D

Just came back from a 4 night Dream cruise. My 11 yr old daughter LOVED the Edge!! She enjoyed the activities like playing games, scavenger hunts, t-shirt decorating and cupcake decorating. And she loved being able to come and go as she pleased! Definately a highlight of the cruise for her.

On our last cruise, my kids were too young for Edge (just a month shy of being 9) but all the activities on the Navigator that they were interested in were in the Edge!

They weren't big fans of the Lab, so we are hoping on the next cruise (they will be just shy of turning 11), they will be able to be bumped up.

They loved the idea of the scavenger hunt and those types of activities more than the video games and being IN the Edge.

here's hoping they let them move up!

my family and I travel on spring break on the Dream 2011. In the begining i was not sure about the edge bcz they come and go as they pleasere is not like the club that you need to give a password . but yes my kids enjoy it. they have so many stuff to do. and remember you have a program of everyday activity in each club so went they did want to do the activity we enjoy the pool and any other activity that the hip offer , like, detective is a great activity do do in the ship as a family.movie and good movie is all depent about the kid intresting

This is my concern for my girls, 11 and 12, although they do like video games they do like hands on structured activities too. Neither one like dodgeball or basketball and not sure what ESPN draft day is. Didn't see much on the navigator in the Edge, the Vibe gets smoothie hour too! I am a little concerned.

My daughter, age 12, was very disappointed with Edge. She loved the Lab and Club on the Magic, but Edge is rather small. It almost seemed like it was an afterthought. She did a few things there, and her favorites were making pizza and cookies, but she spent much less time there than she did on previous cruises when she was in the Lab and Club. She is outgoing and makes new friends quickly, but she felt like there wasn't a lot to do in the Edge. We are waiting until 2013for our Fantasy cruise because she wants to go to Vibe.

We're just back from the WB Fantasy, and while I had hoped that my 12 YO DS would like the Edge, he preferred to hangout with his 16 YO sister and explore the ship. He said the video games were "babyish" and boring and there weren't many things going on in the Edge when he visited it. I'm actually a little glad we didn't loose him completely and that he and his sister had some time together.

Just back from the fantasy with 2 boys in the Edge. My 11 year old loved it. My 13 year old " liked" it a little .... But I should preface that with the fact that my 13 year old doesn't like anything but playing video games :-).

They both loved the freedom of coming and going, they loved that it had elevator access that only they could use with their key cards, they loved the green screen, gaga ball and dodge ball. They thought that some of the activities were a little "young" but they still had a good time.

Just back from the fantasy with 2 boys in the Edge. My 11 year old loved it. My 13 year old " liked" it a little .... But I should preface that with the fact that my 13 year old doesn't like anything but playing video games :-).

They both loved the freedom of coming and going, they loved that it had elevator access that only they could use with their key cards, they loved the green screen, gaga ball and dodge ball. They thought that some of the activities were a little "young" but they still had a good time.

If only they could have access to the elevator...how do you get them if you need to?

If only they could have access to the elevator...how do you get them if you need to?

After getting off at the floor you use the stairs up. Only one of the elevators out of the six at forward ones (can't remember which) lets the kids go to the 13th floor if they tap their room key in that elevator like you would your state room.

Maybe it was mid ship ones , will have to ask my dd.

These elevators allows them to go up an extra floor.

After getting off at the floor you use the stairs up. Only one of the elevators out of the six at forward ones (can't remember which) lets the kids go to the 13th floor if they tap their room key in that elevator like you would your state room.

Maybe it was mid ship ones , will have to ask my dd.

These elevators allows them to go up an extra floor.
It is the middle midship elevator on the port side. My son loves being able to swipe his key to be able to select deck 13.

The CMs really try to keep the adults out of Edge. What we have done is get an extra wave phone for him. It allows us to call him when we need to or he can call us.

A couple of times we weren't able to get an extra wave phone from GS, we would just call the Edge and tell him to call us using the courtesy phone in the Edge.

Okay. Thanks. I am still nervous about the sign out privileges. It is still a year and half away so I'm sure he will mature a bit til then...then again...he's a boy;)

Okay. Thanks. I am still nervous about the sign out privileges. It is still a year and half away so I'm sure he will mature a bit til then...then again...he's a boy;)
Totally understand. My DW was very nervous also. They do organized activities outside the club (dodgeball, scavenger hunts, etc). But they go in groups and return in groups. So, we just told our son to call us when he was leaving the club on his own and where he was going so we could meet him if we wanted. This rule worked out very well for us.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised about how well your son will do.. Mine really enjoyed the first bit of independence on the ship and made sure he didn't lose his ability to do so.

We were on the may 19th fantasy voyage and my 10 almost 11 year old DD loved the edge. I agree with PP, first night is a must. They did give her the option of going back and forth into the lab but she never took them up on that offer.

Thanks for great information... DD- turns 12 on Sail Away Day, she is excited about in/out priviledges. Happy to know counselors guide the tweens. DD is outgoing but initially needs help making friends. Question about wave phone.. last cruise had pager. Does the tween get her own? Is it get for the parents?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter