Review of Del Coronado on points

KLR-wlv

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our 12 day SoCal trip with 4 nights in LA, 1 night in Laguna, 3 nights at the Del Coronado and 3 nights at Grand Californian. We booked the Del back in January (I'm a planner). This was a combined 40th birthday trip (me) and celebrating my husband being done with residency. We had our 3 kids with us (12, 11, 2). I've used points to stay at The Sagamore and at Shutters - loved Shutters and was disappointed when it went off concierge collection. We spent 162 points for 3 nights - but since it was 4th of July weekend, you couldn't book less than 4 nights cash at $500 per night - I figured WTH - wanted to experience it once.

We checked in July 3 and received a first floor room in the newer "Ocean Tower" building. The porch had an ugly fence around it and it was in an "alley" between two buildings. THere were beer bottles and cigarette butts there, likely tossed from upper balconies - that housekeeping failed to see. There was only one bed - and a very uncomfortable pull out sofa - which since we had 4 people (plus one under 3) I was told we would have 2 beds when we booked. I called to see about a room with 2 beds and was told "sorry we're all booked up today" but they could move me to the main room the next day. ALso, the check in person had no idea that the $25 a day resort charge was included in our points exchange - so I called to a manager to discuss that and relayed my disappointment in the room and he said "sorry we're booked" and that when it's booked through a 3rd party, they can't guarantee room requests like 2 beds. I was feeling like we had booked through priceline and were lucky to even get a room. So we moved the next day to the main building and the hall and room smelled like - as my husband and kids said "wet dog". I tried to be upbeat about it - it had 2 beds and was a nicer room (but much smaller bath and no balcony). But it was a horrible smell and by the time we checked out I had a sinus infection. I think it was a combination of mold/dust and just a 120 year old building. It smelled like a musty attic. So I'm not sure if we got the crappiest of main building rooms - or if they are all like that - but I didn't enjoy having a sinus infection for my 3 days in disneyland (and my 40th birthday).

We were really looking forward to the Del - watched "Some like it hot" beforehand - but it was such a rip off compared to everywhere else we stayed. I would suggest staying at the timeshare on Coronado (I think it's an RCI exchange) and just visiting the Del since that is what everyone seems to do (it is VERY crowded on property all day). Luckily we ended with our 3 nights at Grand Californian which was even nicer than our last stay there - It actually seemed "cheap" after the Del (cost of parking, restaurants, etc).

So - Don't waste your points!! I know it's never a great deal to do concierge collection - but like I said - when we stayed at SHutters we were given a beautiful room and it was such a great experience I felt it was worth the points. THe Del absolutely is not.

We just returned from our 12 day SoCal trip with 4 nights in LA, 1 night in Laguna, 3 nights at the Del Coronado and 3 nights at Grand Californian. We booked the Del back in January (I'm a planner). This was a combined 40th birthday trip (me) and celebrating my husband being done with residency. We had our 3 kids with us (12, 11, 2). I've used points to stay at The Sagamore and at Shutters - loved Shutters and was disappointed when it went off concierge collection. We spent 162 points for 3 nights - but since it was 4th of July weekend, you couldn't book less than 4 nights cash at $500 per night - I figured WTH - wanted to experience it once.

We checked in July 3 and received a first floor room in the newer "Ocean Tower" building. The porch had an ugly fence around it and it was in an "alley" between two buildings. THere were beer bottles and cigarette butts there, likely tossed from upper balconies - that housekeeping failed to see. There was only one bed - and a very uncomfortable pull out sofa - which since we had 4 people (plus one under 3) I was told we would have 2 beds when we booked. I called to see about a room with 2 beds and was told "sorry we're all booked up today" but they could move me to the main room the next day. ALso, the check in person had no idea that the $25 a day resort charge was included in our points exchange - so I called to a manager to discuss that and relayed my disappointment in the room and he said "sorry we're booked" and that when it's booked through a 3rd party, they can't guarantee room requests like 2 beds. I was feeling like we had booked through priceline and were lucky to even get a room. So we moved the next day to the main building and the hall and room smelled like - as my husband and kids said "wet dog". I tried to be upbeat about it - it had 2 beds and was a nicer room (but much smaller bath and no balcony). But it was a horrible smell and by the time we checked out I had a sinus infection. I think it was a combination of mold/dust and just a 120 year old building. It smelled like a musty attic. So I'm not sure if we got the crappiest of main building rooms - or if they are all like that - but I didn't enjoy having a sinus infection for my 3 days in disneyland (and my 40th birthday).

We were really looking forward to the Del - watched "Some like it hot" beforehand - but it was such a rip off compared to everywhere else we stayed. I would suggest staying at the timeshare on Coronado (I think it's an RCI exchange) and just visiting the Del since that is what everyone seems to do (it is VERY crowded on property all day). Luckily we ended with our 3 nights at Grand Californian which was even nicer than our last stay there - It actually seemed "cheap" after the Del (cost of parking, restaurants, etc).

So - Don't waste your points!! I know it's never a great deal to do concierge collection - but like I said - when we stayed at SHutters we were given a beautiful room and it was such a great experience I felt it was worth the points. THe Del absolutely is not.

I am sorry you had issues with the hotel, yours is about the 3rd or 4th report I have read about issues and being treated like a second class citizen when staying there on points.

Thanks so much for your review- I was planning on doing the same thing next summer, and was a little hesitant because of soooooo many negative reviews on Trip Advisor. Our friends stayed there last summer and enjoyed it, but they were staying on cash, not points. So sorry to hear that as a DVC guest you were treated so poorly!:sad2:

Sorry to hear you had such a poor stay on points.

I guess I'm glad we stayed on cash last May. I expected to get a poor location since we were on a discount code Resort View room where our second night was 50% off and free parking. We were very surprised when we checked in to be upgraded to a ocean view in the Ocean Tower and they comp our friend's parking that was visiting us during the day.

The Del sure gets mixed reviews.

I had read the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor - but places that I love - like Shutters - have mixed reviews so I always take the negatives with a grain of salt. I hadn't read any DVC reviews from using points, unfortunately. It is probably a totally different experience when they aren't "really busy". If there are rooms to spare, they might give DVC folks an upgrade. I really felt like I was getting the bottom of the barrel with both rooms.

I would suggest going to Laguna instead of Coronado - we stayed at the St. Regis Monarch resort in Dana Point and it was beautiful. I know there are a couple RCI exchanges right in the town of Laguna - I think the next time, I'll stay up the coast a bit.

My husband rationalized it with - if we hadn't gone we would have always wished we'd stayed there - Now we know!

Wow, 162 points for 3 nights? I have a $225 per night rate for 2 weekend nights in August when we are doing San Diego and Disneyland for a week. No way would I pay that much in points. I also made my reservation way way back at the end of 2008 and keep checking deals to get the rate lower.

Is the Del worth $225 per night? It's just DH and me. Now I"m wondering if I should book elsewhere.

I stayed there for three nights last September-a friend was there for a conference, so I got to stay for free :)-and I really liked it. No, I wouldn't pay $500 a night, and 162 points is a lot, but it was a very nice place to stay. We had one of the older rooms in the main building. It was old, in a nice historic (not crummy) sense and huge. You can really feel the history there, and the location of the hotel just can't be beat. Yeah, I'd probably splurge and spend $225, but not much more. (Best part of the trip? The day I woke my friend up at 6 am whispering "Disneyland....Disneyland" in her ear and convinced her to go to DL for the day. My first trip with no kids since I became a mom-my first trip with zero planning-it was so much fun).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter