Reverse Two Point Turnabout for Road Test

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Not sure if anyone can help but my son cannot seem to do this. He took his lessons months ago and it has slipped his mind what they told him. Our driving school gave me a handout that basically says:

Position the car 2/3 feet from curb
stop moving forward when the pole is visible in the rear passenger door window
turn the wheel all the way to the right, then back until the car is straight and stop
turn the wheel 1 and 1/2 turns to the left and then back straight until the front of the car moves behind the cones and stop

We cannot get this far because no matter what he does he hits the practice cones. He just doesn't know when to stop and put the car in reverse and start turning the wheel.

I scoured online and cannot really find any good sites that say what to do.

So if anyone has any words of wisdom I am all ears. Thx

I didn't even know what this was.
But I found this video. Maybe it will help.

Is this basically just backing into a space?

Not sure if anyone can help but my son cannot seem to do this. He took his lessons months ago and it has slipped his mind what they told him. Our driving school gave me a handout that basically says:

Position the car 2/3 feet from curb
stop moving forward when the pole is visible in the rear passenger door window
turn the wheel all the way to the right, then back until the car is straight and stop
turn the wheel 1 and 1/2 turns to the left and then back straight until the front of the car moves behind the cones and stop

We cannot get this far because no matter what he does he hits the practice cones. He just doesn't know when to stop and put the car in reverse and start turning the wheel.

I scoured online and cannot really find any good sites that say what to do.

So if anyone has any words of wisdom I am all ears. Thx

Following these instructions, this is what I see happening.

1. The car is 2 to 3 feet from the curb, which I would assume is on the right. This is effectively the starting position. Let's just assume you're in position to back up.

2. With the wheel turned all the way to the right, the rear end of the car will swing toward the curb -- to the driver's right. The back wheels will hit the curb when the car is somewhere around a 30 - 45 degree angle from the curb. If there's a curb, that's where the car will stop. If there isn't, then the car is effectively backing into a driveway.

3. From this position, turning the wheel to the left and continuing to back up will continue backing up but not turning as sharply.

In short, this appears to be a way to back into a parking space or driveway, but it's phrased in a bizarre way. If that's the intent, then the key is to start backing up from the correct location. That's going to depend on the car's turning radius. The only thing I can think of to do, is to set up some markers in a parking lot, then try starting the reverse movement in #2 in different spots.

I'm having a hard time picturing this maneuver in my head, and an even harder time picturing any time you'd actually use it. OP, could you enlighten us?

Oh. I'd also strongly advise AGAINST cranking the wheels all the way to the stop unless the car doesn't have power steering. It can cause problems with the system. I'd also strongly advise that you start the car moving before turning the wheel to reduce tire wear and strain on the steering. Just trickle it back -- it doesn't have to move any faster than a turtle.

Last edited:

I'm having a hard time picturing this maneuver in my head, and an even harder time picturing any time you'd actually use it. OP, could you enlighten us?

Yeah i think the point of this is if you are going in one direction but need to go the opposite way and there is no room for a u turn. It's basically backing up into an alley or driveway and turning. I didn't realize for the test there would be cones set up (only a 10 ft width). Wish my son hadn't taken his lessons so many months ago. We hadn't realized it would be months before we could get a road test appt with the DMV. Gonna practice more with him today and hope he nails it tomorrow. Thx.

Will he really have to do that on the driver's test? They don't do that here.

Will he really have to do that on the driver's test? They don't do that here.

Unfortunately yes. There is the three minute parallel parking segment, then this segment also three minutes - followed by going out on the road.

I actually just came back from the driving school and the worker there went over it all with me and even gave me another handout. She then called up one of the driving instructors. They were such nice people.

I've never heard of this turn... We had to do a k turn in the streets for my test. It seems similar though. I always found practicing on the actual roads much easier than stressing about hitting cones. My actual test never used cones thankfully haha.

I've never heard of this turn... We had to do a k turn in the streets for my test. It seems similar though. I always found practicing on the actual roads much easier than stressing about hitting cones. My actual test never used cones thankfully haha.
Yes I wish the test was just doing this stuff on regular roads since he does drive/park quite well. They actually give you the cones to take home but at this point we don't have time since my son has work today after school and his test is in the morning. At least I'll be prepared with my DD who just got her permit this week.

I took my driver's test on a private course (in the 70's). One of the tests was a 3 point turn. You had to pull into a stall, probably 2 or 3 cars wide and turn around within the stall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter