Return to Halloweentown Question

LiLIrishChick63

<font color=darkorchid>I must have glitter in my s
i didn't know where else to post this.

now.....i've watched the other 3 movies. i've loved them. but this new one? i don't really get it.

why is her name all of a sudden Marnie Piper instead of Marnie Cromwell?

i wonder why they couldn't get the same girl to play her?

and i really didn't get the point of the movie. i think the first 3 were much better.

anyone else agree? can anyone answer some of my questions?

Why Kim didn't play Marnie for this movie, I don't know. I have yet to hear an answer. Hopefully, she will be back for part 5 (if those rumors of a 5th installment are true! ) It may be due to other filming obligations or she is wanting to expand on her career & not be tied to just one character.

As far as her name - it has never changed. Her mother's maiden is Cromwell, but she married a mortal named Piper. Marnie, Dylan & Sophie are all Piper on their paternal side, but the storyline is on the maternal side - so they are the Cromwell witches.

LadyBears said:
Why Kim didn't play Marnie for this movie, I don't know. I have yet to hear an answer. Hopefully, she will be back for part 5 (if those rumors of a 5th installment are true! ) It may be due to other filming obligations or she is wanting to expand on her career & not be tied to just one character.

As far as her name - it has never changed. Her mother's maiden is Cromwell, but she married a mortal named Piper. Marnie, Dylan & Sophie are all Piper on their paternal side, but the storyline is on the maternal side - so they are the Cromwell witches.

i could have SWORN that in the other movies it was always Marnie Cromwell....but i guess it would explain a lot considering it was on the mothers side. but i've always heard her called Marnie Cromwell.

i do hope they get the original back for the next one, if they do one. i didn't really like the new girl.

and the grandmother wasn't in this movie as much either. that was another disappointing thing.

For me, I was so used to Kimberly J. Brown playing Marnie - that anyone who comes in to take her place no matter how good or bad of an actress, will not be able to play the role well. Kim IS Marnie - Marnie IS Kim.

This movie wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to "fit" with the trilogy. In the first 3, the viewers were given strong insight to Marnie & her personality. There is no way that Marnie would NOT have known that they could NOT use magic at the University or that the reason they can't is because of her. Also, Gwen was always about being mortal & not using her magic unless she had to - now she is walking around in public using it (such as at the grocery store & trying to sell houses) without a second thought??

This movie in a way reminds me of the VC Andrews books - you can tell the ones actually written by her vs the ones written after her death based on her notes but still using her name. The same, yet sooooo different!

If they were going to go this way off without using Kim, the story should have been about Dylan or Sophie developing their powers.

When we were watching the movie, DD insisted that Marnie was always Cromwell not Piper. I checked the first Halloweentown movie credits and Marnie was listed as Piper. In the first movies, I don't remember them using the last name much, if at all. Cromwell was always the dominant name, maybe that's why DD assumed Marnie was a Cromwell.

I like the suggestion of focusing on Dylan or Sophie if Kimberly Brown wasn't available. And now that you mention it, it was strange that all of a sudden the mother is embracing her powers and using them in everyday life. I fell asleep during the movie, but my kids thought it was just okay. The first one is still the best as far as I'm concerned.

I agree- I don't like that they had to use a different actress for Marnie. The character lost a lot of her quirkiness and became too generic. I was also sad that the grandmother was hardly in it at all. There was something very different about this new Halloweentown movie. The whole overall tone wasn't as fun, although I liked it alright- just not as much as the others. Halloweentown wasn't as well represented this time. (Not to mention, I guessed who Splendora was almost right away.)

I read that Kimberley J. Brown wasn't available for some reason.

As far as Marnie's mom, I don't think it's completely implausable for her to decide to embrace her powers. The first movie was made in 98, and if you watch the other movies, she's gradually become more comfortable over the years.

I like the new Marnie better than the first. I always thought the "old" on overacted. I think the new one is kinda prettier. Also, I don't think we can blame the actress when the script is full of flaws (no magic at U, she's the reason why, etc.)

I think this latest movie is weaker that the others (and that's pretty bad becase I really didn't like #2 and #3.)

I saw the last one the day it premeired on Disney Channel, and had not seen the others before. I watched the other 3 the following day. The thing that really struck me was how much younger Dylan seemed than Marnie in the 1st one, when they had just seemed to be about the same age in the last one.

I watched this newest one with my sons last week. I was disappointed that Kimberly wasn't in the movie. The new girl didn't bother me that much, but I like Kimberly better. It was like watching a movie about Marnie's cousin or something.

How about the fact that Sophie has disappeared??? Yes, they mentioned her but are the new writers so anti-creative that they just couldn't find a place in the story for her?

LadyBears said:
For me, I was so used to Kimberly J. Brown playing Marnie - that anyone who comes in to take her place no matter how good or bad of an actress, will not be able to play the role well. Kim IS Marnie - Marnie IS Kim.

This movie wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to "fit" with the trilogy. In the first 3, the viewers were given strong insight to Marnie & her personality. There is no way that Marnie would NOT have known that they could NOT use magic at the University or that the reason they can't is because of her. Also, Gwen was always about being mortal & not using her magic unless she had to - now she is walking around in public using it (such as at the grocery store & trying to sell houses) without a second thought??

This movie in a way reminds me of the VC Andrews books - you can tell the ones actually written by her vs the ones written after her death based on her notes but still using her name. The same, yet sooooo different!

If they were going to go this way off without using Kim, the story should have been about Dylan or Sophie developing their powers.

i agree. if they didn't get Kim it should have been about the brother or sister. the sister wasn't even in this one either!

and my DF even mentioned something about Gwen using magic so much. he said "wasn't she all against using magic like that in the first 3 movies?" and i noticed more and more how much magic she was using.

AngieBelle said:
I agree- I don't like that they had to use a different actress for Marnie. The character lost a lot of her quirkiness and became too generic. I was also sad that the grandmother was hardly in it at all. There was something very different about this new Halloweentown movie. The whole overall tone wasn't as fun, although I liked it alright- just not as much as the others. Halloweentown wasn't as well represented this time. (Not to mention, I guessed who Splendora was almost right away.)

I read that Kimberley J. Brown wasn't available for some reason.

As far as Marnie's mom, I don't think it's completely implausable for her to decide to embrace her powers. The first movie was made in 98, and if you watch the other movies, she's gradually become more comfortable over the years.

this Marnie was too "girly" for me. in the other 3 she was always kind of tomboyish because she loved all of the spooky stuff. this one seemed too much into clothes and make-up and stuff.

KelNottAt said:
I like the new Marnie better than the first. I always thought the "old" on overacted. I think the new one is kinda prettier. Also, I don't think we can blame the actress when the script is full of flaws (no magic at U, she's the reason why, etc.)

I think this latest movie is weaker that the others (and that's pretty bad becase I really didn't like #2 and #3.)

i don't blame her for the script......i blame her because i didn't like her as Marnie.

Aidensmom said:
I saw the last one the day it premeired on Disney Channel, and had not seen the others before. I watched the other 3 the following day. The thing that really struck me was how much younger Dylan seemed than Marnie in the 1st one, when they had just seemed to be about the same age in the last one.

i know. i could have sworn that they were like 2 or 3 years apart in the last 3 movies and all of a sudden they were only a year apart....so that would mean that Marnie was a sophomore and Dylan was a Freshman? i'm really confused now.

Kimberly couldn't come back because she had a scheduling conflict (she's filming a movie). At least that's what I read on IMDB. I know that my daughter liked the movie, but not as much as the first 3. It was just "different". It would be nice if they started focusing on Sophie. She would be about the age Marnie was in the first movie, and could focus on her "training". That would be neat.

stinkerbell_&_Co said:
Kimberly couldn't come back because she had a scheduling conflict (she's filming a movie). At least that's what I read on IMDB. I know that my daughter liked the movie, but not as much as the first 3. It was just "different". It would be nice if they started focusing on Sophie. She would be about the age Marnie was in the first movie, and could focus on her "training". That would be neat.

i'll have to check that out, thanks. that's a good idea. they SHOULD have Sophie's training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter