restaurant charges for extra plate to split a meal?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
We ate out tonight at a semi-nice restaurant. I asked for an extra plate so we could share with our child. She told me that they charge an extra $3 for that. I was surprised! That's never happened in any other place we've gone. And you know what, we three even didn't eat all the food and still brought some home. Somehow, that just didn't rub me the right way about charging for an extra plate for a child. Anyone else have this happen?

I've seen restaurants that do that in general. B/c a non-paying patron is still taking up space. I don't know how old your child is---so I will share: My girls are 5 and 2...we plate shared at a restaurant recently--but weren't charged.

I've never been charged to share with one of my children, but have eaten at restaurants where there was a notation on the menu that there would be charge for adults who shared food.

I've also been to restaurants that had a minimum charge per person noted on their dinner menus.

I personally think they should not charge for a plate. Especially if you are ordering TWO other meals. Instead of paying the $3.00, you may as well just pay the $4.00 or $5.00 for a kids meal & bring the leftover's home :confused3
JMHO

Well except the kids meals are usually crap junk food (nuggets and fries).

In restaurants where I know my kids will eat other stuff, we won't order off of the kids menu.

I've seen that and I think its stupid. For adults? OK, fine but when you are sharing with your child that's ridiculous. If you ever go back there again, take your own plate! :rotfl2:

I don't think it's reasonable and I refuse to patronize restaurants that have a plate-sharing charge.

The nice thing about eating out is that there are hundreds of alternatives. I don't put up with guff from restaurants. I can always eat in on choose one of the other 30 restaurants within in a 10 mile radius.

Grumpy's Gal said:
We ate out tonight at a semi-nice restaurant. I asked for an extra plate so we could share with our child. She told me that they charge an extra $3 for that. I was surprised! That's never happened in any other place we've gone. And you know what, we three even didn't eat all the food and still brought some home. Somehow, that just didn't rub me the right way about charging for an extra plate for a child. Anyone else have this happen?

Haven't had it happen, but I'd be really tempted to look at the waitress with a look of surprise in my eye and say "boy, I bet that policy is really bad for your tips. Here we will spend $100 on food and wine and your boss wants to nickle and dime us to wash a plate!"

(Not that I'd take it out of the waitress from her tips - not her fault, but someone needs to think this through)

I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that had this policy.

I don't buy the "charge for taking up space" concept because if a couple comes in to eat vs. a family should they have to pay more for their meals because they are taking up 2 seats at a table that can seat 4 vs. the family of 4 that takes up all the seats?

I have 4 kids (the oldest is 8) and my little ones have often shared meals. I can't imagine being expected to pay $3 for the 3 peas my 11 mos old might eat off a siblings' plate :rolleyes: When you go to a restaurant, unless you are dining at a buffet, you pay for what you order. Unless the extra plate charge comes with extra food, I see no reason to expect someone to pay for that :confused3

Grumpy's Gal said:

Hey I am as frugal as anyone else, but from a biz point of view I understand this.

I am not saying I agree with it 100 %, but I understand the reasoning.

In fact over the weekend, I was eating in a pretty upscale resturant and a notice about sharing was listed on the bottom of the menu.

I'm interested in the age of OP's child. An 11month old is not going to be charged for a plate--ever. But then again--would you be taking your baby to a snazzy restaurant. A 10 yo is "usually" capable of eating a meal. Sharing with mom and dad so as not to order off the childrens menu--does kind of skirt the system. Now I understand that some kids do eat like birds---my mother eats like a bird and tries to order off of the kids menu when allowed. Understandably--it isn't always permitted.

They expect so many patrons a night---and to turn over so many tables. Pretend--every single party had someone splitting the meal. The restaurant has lost half of its revenue b/c for whatever reason--people needed to share. I'm sure the plate sharing charge came about b/c too many people came in and did this and then expected the same service (water, bread, side dishes) as if they had ordered 2 meals. Hubby and I would share more often if we could agree on a dish--b/c the portions are huge. I don't mind paying $3 if it saves me $20 and some inches on my waistline.

Often times--the extra plate charge....also allows for extra bread and an extra salad..depending on the restuarant.

They aren't charging to clean a plate--they are trying to recoup some of that lost revenue. If you make a reservation for 4--they are pretty assuming that 4 people will be eating.

As a person that works in the food service industry I'll through my 2 cents in.
If a plate is "split" in the kitchen by the cooks ,so that for example you now have 1/2 a sandwhich and fries with a garnish on each plate , then usually there is a plate charge to cover the expense of the extra fries, and overall the cost to wash the plate. If the server brings you a clean plate and you share the meal yourself then "usually" the charge is waived. My mother and I share meals almost every time we go out heres our tip, if you notice that there is a plate charge for go "sharing" and have one person order a side of fries or potato etc. the sides are usually around $2.00 and then you have your plate.
As a server I would never charge for sharing a meal with a child I would just bring a smaller side plate.

When I do lunch with my friends @ Olive Garden we always share a salad and fettachini(?). They always charge us for the 1 person. They say that they will give us 1 bowl of salad if we want more than we'd have to pay for salad for the 2nd person.

I've been to an awful lot of nice restaurants that don't mind at all if you share a meal. I've also been to nice restaurants that are complete jerks about anything that takes an extra minute to figure out. We've decided it all comes from the top. If the management is looking for an extra $3 they'll get it one way or another. If the management truly values your patronage, they'll do what it takes to get you back.

Just my opinion

Your "non eating" persona still needed a plate, silverwear, water etc... You are paying for that. I personally have no problem with this. My BF and I have done this few times and it never bothers us.

I don't get the they should eat free bit.. if you want to eat free bring your own silverwear etc... don't expect the resturant to provide you this stuff and clean up after you for nothing!!! They are running a business not a soup kitchen.

CarolA said:
Your "non eating" persona still needed a plate, silverwear, water etc... You are paying for that. I personally have no problem with this. My BF and I have done this few times and it never bothers us.
Not to mention there may be chips, bread, etc. brought to the table that the "non eating" person will still be eating. And if you really want to examine the cost of every person who walks into the restaurant... they may be going to the bathroom and using water, toilet paper, and soap. On a hot day, they are increasing the load on the a/c. On a busy day, they are taking up a space that a paying customer could use. Someone still has to bus and wash those dishes and silverware. It may seem petty, but someone has to pay for all of it, and when you multiply it by the potential number of meal-splitters who walk in the door, it's an issue.

My family owned a restaurant for 10 years. Not a fancy one, just a nice family restaurant.

We wouldn't have dreamed of charging for an extra plate. Now, thinking about it, I don't necessarily like the idea, but I guess I don't have a problem with it, especially in the nice restaurants. BUT NOT FOR A CHILD! This family ordered two entrees and an appt..........obviously not cheap.........I think it's rediculous charging for a child when you ordered all that.

But we often split meals at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays...........they have never charged us for that. Never.

I do understand why some rest. would do it for adults, but not children. I don't think I would go back there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!