Resort Recommendations for First Solo Trip

My Grandpa

Mouseketeer
Interested in your recommendations and reasons for selecting a Moderate Price resort for my first solo trip ~ hopefully 5 days at the end of October / early November.

On Christmas Eve I retired at age 66 ~ BEST Christmas Present EVAH!!! Love the World / Love the Mouse / Sorcerer Mickey has been my role model forever (easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission). You can see below where we've/I've stayed on family trips. Thanks in Advance!

I've gone solo a few times now and have stayed at Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans French Quarter. Both were great solo. Loved the island resort feel of CBR. Felt like I was in a different world on my resort days. CBR is very spread out though. Can be difficult if you don't have a car. But FQ is beautifully themed and I love the size of it. So easy to get around quickly. However, I know the food court is about to be closed for renovations, and I'm not sure how long it will be closed. Something to consider and ask about. Really think it just depends on your interests in theming.

I've also stayed at PO Riverside...just not solo. Loved that resort as well.

The All-Star resorts have been great for solo trips when I want to spend more money on dining and events, rather than the room.

Any resort you choose will be fine. Pick the one that appeals! I have stayed CBR solo, would not hesitate to stay at any of the other moderates. Coronado Springs is the convention resort, so that's the one I avoid, because I don't like dealing with people who aren't into the magic. That is a personal choice, and the resort itself is still very nice

Have you though about staying in a rental DVC resort?
Check the DVC rental board, you can get a deluxe resort for the price of a mid-range.
Just be sure you understand that you are renting from someone that is not Disney, the limits, and requirements of the transaction.
If you are unsure of this type of transaction checkout David's DVC Rental site, as he is a supporter of the DISBoards website.

Any resort you choose will be fine. Pick the one that appeals! I have stayed CBR solo, would not hesitate to stay at any of the other moderates. Coronado Springs is the convention resort, so that's the one I avoid, because I don't like dealing with people who aren't into the magic. That is a personal choice, and the resort itself is still very nice

Very, VERY Helpful .... Coronado Springs looks very appealing to me (especially the pool) ... but I want NEED that Disney Spirit and having folks aorud who may not be into it or are fixed on their work convention is not appealing. Thank You SueDonym3

Have you though about staying in a rental DVC resort?
Check the DVC rental board, you can get a deluxe resort for the price of a mid-range.
Just be sure you understand that you are renting from someone that is not Disney, the limits, and requirements of the transaction.
If you are unsure of this type of transaction checkout David's DVC Rental site, as he is a supporter of the DISBoards website.

Wicked Wonderful Option & Great Connection to David's DVC Rental site. Geaded there tonite to check it out.

I like POFQ...I like the smaller size. It makes me feel safer that it's more compact, especially when coming back from the parks after dark / late. I never feel like I'm isolated walking back to my room, whether it be from the boat dock, or the bus stop. I also appreciate not having to walk a country mile to go get a soda, tea, snack, etc. after a long day in the parks.

I like POFQ...I like the smaller size. It makes me feel safer that it's more compact, especially when coming back from the parks after dark / late. I never feel like I'm isolated walking back to my room, whether it be from the boat dock, or the bus stop. I also appreciate not having to walk a country mile to go get a soda, tea, snack, etc. after a long day in the parks.

Thanks for the report that POFQ is smaller in size. That is something that all of the WDW resorts we've been to are lacking. Can you say the same about PORS?

PORS is much larger & much more spread out than POFQ. But it is close enough to take a stroll to and enjoy a meal there and check out the theming.

If POFQ has finished their refurb of the food court when your looking at going, I would pick that.. Very small, very quiet, very easy to transportation.. It also has really good bus stop locations from the parks with only mk being a little further than I wanted it to be... also the boat option to get to disney springs and that stuff is a really nice ride and change from being on the buses. also POR is walking distance (or a bus or boat or rental bike) away so you have a variety of other things to do, places to eat that is convenient. It is missing a quiet pool (tiny resort).

If POFQ has finished their refurb of the food court when your looking at going, I would pick that.. Very small, very quiet, very easy to transportation.. It also has really good bus stop locations from the parks with only mk being a little further than I wanted it to be... also the boat option to get to disney springs and that stuff is a really nice ride and change from being on the buses. also POR is walking distance (or a bus or boat or rental bike) away so you have a variety of other things to do, places to eat that is convenient. It is missing a quiet pool (tiny resort).

Hey Bryan ... That was awesome info ..... I was getting dedicated to POFQ .... until you said "missing a quiet pool." Are there NO pools at POFQ? That's a deal breaker.

Hey Bryan ... That was awesome info ..... I was getting dedicated to POFQ .... until you said "missing a quiet pool." Are there NO pools at POFQ? That's a deal breaker.

There's one larger pool for everyone to use. I stayed at POFQ in January and loved it, though we did not use the pool as it was pretty chilly while we were there. I think it would be a shame to disregard POFQ over its pool, it still has a lot to offer in terms of compactness, easy bus stop and close proximity to PORS & Disney Springs. I believe you would still be able to use the pools at PORS, 2 of which are only a 15-minute walk away at most along the riverside.

There is no quiet pool. Disney resorts generally have a large themed pool that kids tend to prefer and then smaller quiet pools around the resort for those that want to have a little more peace in the pool or not go all the way to the main pool. POFQ only has the main pool and kids water play area however it does have a spa that is in the same area but the bar separates it from the kids and tends to be like a quiet pool although not cooler water..

It's really a gorgeous little resort and my favorite of the moderates but also the hardest to get with a discount since it's so small. even if you don't go there you might want to take a moment, maybe enjoy the boat ride from disney springs and take a quick walk through it for a possible future stay.

There's one larger pool for everyone to use. I stayed at POFQ in January and loved it, though we did not use the pool as it was pretty chilly while we were there. I think it would be a shame to disregard POFQ over its pool, it still has a lot to offer in terms of compactness, easy bus stop and close proximity to PORS & Disney Springs. I believe you would still be able to use the pools at PORS, 2 of which are only a 15-minute walk away at most along the riverside.
THANKS!!! I might not be swimming in early November (my target for a first solo trip) but will pack a b-suite for sure!

I stayed at CSR my first solo trip. I liked it a lot, the transportation was good, and I think because there were a lot of other adults there for convention that I felt less like I stood out as a solo. But I am not a person who has to have 'Disney magic' feeling all the time. I have switched to Pop for later solo trips, mostly because I like to spend less money on resort accommodations. I have stayed at POFQ too and that was very nice; I don't think you will be unhappy anywhere.

Interested in your recommendations and reasons for selecting a Moderate Price resort for my first solo trip ~ hopefully 5 days at the end of October / early November.

On Christmas Eve I retired at age 66 ~ BEST Christmas Present EVAH!!! Love the World / Love the Mouse / Sorcerer Mickey has been my role model forever (easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission). You can see below where we've/I've stayed on family trips. Thanks in Advance!

I have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and was not impressed, though some people like it. The room felt almost like a value resort than a moderate. But that was 2011 and they might have refurbished since. I just booked my solo October trip into the PORS after a lengthy phone chat with a Cast Member who helped me decide. I wanted a Moderate resort, but also a quiet one because being an introvert, after a day in the park, I want peace and quiet. I also was looking for something not too far from either MK or EPCOT, and PORS is close to EPCOT. While it is a bit spread out, it does have several pools if you're interested in that, and seems like a good overall location. While the Cast Member was trying to add the southern charm of the place and mentioned Gone With the Wind," I said, "Great I am driving down from Atlanta so after 5 hours in the car I will feel like I am back in Atlanta!" LOL. I also did not want convention resorts or big party resorts so we landed me in the PORS in a Garden View room.

I love PORS!
I am hoping to share in that feeling...I will see once October gets here. LOL. Some people love the Caribbean resort and yet I was not impressed, which is why I am trying PORS this time. Granted, I do not expect it to be like a Deluxe resort (though some people staying at Deluxe resorts have also not been impressed), but I hope PORS is quiet enough and not party city like some resorts are. It looks like it is nice and quiet. From the pictures, it looks beautiful....but if you were every buying a house and went by the realty photos and then saw the actual house, you realize what Jiminy Cricket did: what they can do these days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter