Resort Only with Toddler

texaslady22

Mouseketeer
Here's the deal: We have an 8 night trip planned for May, 2016. We're staying at the Dolphin with all 5 kids and are super excited about it!

Here's the other deal: My work is sending me to Disneyworld for a conference in February (4 nights). I'll be assigned a room either at Coronado Springs or Animal Kingdom (that's where we were last time, anyway).

My husband is a stay-at-home dad. I have 3 kids. 2 will be in school and 1 is 3 years old.

I have Southwest Companion Pass, so my husband COULD travel with me for free. We could find someone to watch the 2 school-age kids, so we'd need to bring our 3 year old with us. We'd have her flight.

We really can't afford Disneyworld tickets for them in February and then again in May, and the cost of an annual pass is still a bit out of our reach.

Could my husband and 3 year old have fun just hanging at the hotel and Downtown Disney for the days while I'm at my Conference? I'm thinking they could see the dive-in movies, play at the playgrounds, and even do some character meals (they'll have to eat, after all). Do you think that would be worth going, or should they just hang out at home?? WWYD?

Any tips on fun, entertaining, cheap or free activities they could do? She's 3 and generally very mature for her age (as the youngest child). I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Depending on the resort there should be some fun activities, pool activities i think AKL have music parades. AKL you can check out the animals, they can go to DTD and check things out there.

Depending on the resort there should be some fun activities, pool activities i think AKL have music parades. AKL you can check out the animals, they can go to DTD and check things out there.

I totally agree and not just if it's Animal Kingdom Lodge. Your husband and daughter could (1) just walk around either resort for the day (Coronado Springs is a large resort) and play in the pools, (2) take a bus to Magic Kingdom (not entering the park) and then spend all day using the monorail and/or boats to do this. Walk to the Contemporary and explore that - take the monorail to the TTC, get off and walk to the Polynesian and explore that. Then walk to the Grand Floridian (going past the Wedding Pavilion) and explore that. Get on the monorail and go back to Magic Kingdom. Then, take the boat to Fort Wilderness and explore there. If they want, they could do some things there that would cost a bit but would be fun. Then, back to Magic Kingdom and back to your resort. (3) Take the bus to the Studios, then either walk or take the boat to the Epcot resorts and walk all around back there. For a quick bite and a nice place to sit, try the pizza take out window at the Boardwalk. (4) Downtown Disney/Springs is a bus ride away as well.

Nothing I just mentioned requires admission to any park and all have food and drink available from many places.

Last edited:
I agree with both pp's, there's plenty to keep them busy without going into a park :thumbsup2.

Here's the deal: We have an 8 night trip planned for May, 2016. We're staying at the Dolphin with all 5 kids and are super excited about it!

Here's the other deal: My work is sending me to Disneyworld for a conference in February (4 nights). I'll be assigned a room either at Coronado Springs or Animal Kingdom (that's where we were last time, anyway).

My husband is a stay-at-home dad. I have 3 kids. 2 will be in school and 1 is 3 years old.

I have Southwest Companion Pass, so my husband COULD travel with me for free. We could find someone to watch the 2 school-age kids, so we'd need to bring our 3 year old with us. We'd have her flight.

We really can't afford Disneyworld tickets for them in February and then again in May, and the cost of an annual pass is still a bit out of our reach.

Could my husband and 3 year old have fun just hanging at the hotel and Downtown Disney for the days while I'm at my Conference? I'm thinking they could see the dive-in movies, play at the playgrounds, and even do some character meals (they'll have to eat, after all). Do you think that would be worth going, or should they just hang out at home?? WWYD?

Any tips on fun, entertaining, cheap or free activities they could do? She's 3 and generally very mature for her age (as the youngest child). I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Darlin' you realize that very few on this board would say to NOT go, even when you don't go into the parks. There is so much to do at WDW, and I can't imagine a better and more relaxing vacation then just hangin' at a Disney hotel! :) There are many hotel activities set up for guests whose vacations are longer than a few days, so even if they don't go into the parks, they won't have to leave the WDW property.

He could also take her to the Fort Wilderness campfire with Chip and Dale - free! The campfire with marshmallows and a movie would be so much fun:-) Maybe see fireworks from outside the park and the electrical water pageant! As disnut8 mentioned, there are other things at the Fort (such as a pony ride) that might not be too expensive.
I would definitely go!

I would usually be completely reluctant to take kids without park tickets, however I think your DH and 3yo could have a blast without going into the parks. There is so much Disney magic outside of the gates for a toddler. We just stayed at AKL and I wish we had more time just to enjoy the resort. The monorail and boats as well as DTD are all great! They could spend some time on the Boardwalk. I would definitely go for it.

I think Bjb1124 is right. Most of us will say go.

I could spend two weeks at WDW without ever hitting the parks and be really, really happy. Make that two months.

I have a three year old and I can tell you some cheap/free things she enjoys:

• Pool at Kidani Village (if you stay at AKL) - it is amazing for toddlers (all Disney pools are great, actually)
  • Chip and Dale campfire. It is a great place to meet the characters without having to pay anything (unless they want to shell out a few bucks to toast marshmallows).
  • Ride the boats to different locations (ride to DTD, ride between FW and WL or CL, etc.)
  • Ride the monorail all around
  • Night viewing (or day viewing, for that matter) animals at AKL
  • Visit Lego store and other fun/free attractions at DTD
  • Visit the horses at FW
  • Pony rides at FW (small fee)
  • Wagon rides at FW (small fee)
  • Outdoor movies at all resorts
  • Campfires with roasting marshmallows at AKL (this was free)
  • Playgrounds at various resorts
  • Walk around grounds at Art of Animation to see all of the cool art and sculptures
  • Walk around the Boardwalk and have ice cream- there are often street performers to watch
  • Play in the sand on one of the many resort beaches (we particularly like FW because it is close to a fun playground and is often not crowded)
  • Tour resorts and point out interesting art, flowers, and decor (my three year actually enjoys doing this - maybe yours will, too)

We are going in September and I plan to take my older daughter to the parks several days while my husband hangs with our three year old at the resort(s). They are going to have a great time together, and I am sure your husband and child will, too.

I would bring them! IMHO, AKL is a great choice for all the reasons the PPs mention. Also, because you are with a convention, you are eligible for discount tickets including an after 2 pm and after 4 pm option which makes the tickets even less. For example, the 2-day, after 2 pm ticket is $138 per person. Just something to consider if they do want to visit the parks. But there is a ton to do without going to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter