Reservations

jweb20

Earning My Ears
It's our first time going to Disney this summer. Do I need to make reservations for all of my sit down meals this far in advance? It seems kind of crazy to me to plan where you are going to eat and what time 6 months ahead. But I also don't want to wait forever for dinner or not be able to get in somewhere.

Yes you do need to make reservations. I made mine for Spring break 180 days in advance. There are some places that fill up that quickly. (Ohana, Be our Guest).

its alot easier to make them and have to cancel them, rather than scramble to find something.

It's our first time going to Disney this summer. Do I need to make reservations for all of my sit down meals this far in advance? It seems kind of crazy to me to plan where you are going to eat and what time 6 months ahead. But I also don't want to wait forever for dinner or not be able to get in somewhere.

If there is a restaurant that you want to eat at, than yes you should make ADR's. The IN Park restaurants often fill to capacity during busy times like the summer and holidays. Often the resorts nearest the parks also fill in advance ('OHana at the Poly, for example).
Disney does not hold any tables at any restaurant for walk ups. If it is available it can be booked.
You will always be able to find somewhere to eat. But it may not be the restaurant you want, near where you are, at the time you like to eat.
You can go without ADR's, but in my experience you are taking a chance on not being able to eat at the restaurant of your choice.
Good Luck

No, you don't have to make them at the stroke of midnight exactly 180 days out (like most people here would have you believe). If you book them at about 30 days out, you'll be fine. The new credit card hold system for the more popular restaurants has made it a lot easier for bookings. In the past, Disney fanatics (still at the 180 day mark) would make multiple reservations per day at different restaurants and then not bother to cancel them. With a credit card hold, they don't do that anymore..

No, you don't have to make them at the stroke of midnight exactly 180 days out (like most people here would have you believe).

;) well, that's *mostly* true -- but if you do want to have dinner at Be Our Guest, or Cinderella's Royal Table, you'll want to jump on pretty darned close to that initial "go" time in order to get in. There are also a few places -- Le Cellier is one -- that fill up fairly quickly.

To your point, there are plenty you can book much closer to your time and be fine, but if there are any that someone has his/her heart set on -- especially if it's a popular place -- closer to the 180 mark is better.

We decided to take a trip in June of this year and booked it at something like 150 days out -- and there isn't a single ADR available during the week we'll be there for dinner at BOG, and some places don't have the times we'd be hoping for. Not a catastrophe by any means, but just to the point that some places do fill early.

If you don't want to risk waiting, then you need reservations. Especially inside the parks, in the summer.

If you will want Be Our Guest for dinner, you do need to jump on that as soon as possible as it is booking up rapidly once reservations open. If you want 'Ohana for dinner anytime before 8 PM, same thing.

Even before the credit card hold, I had luck making 4th of July week ADRs about 90 days out. I also had luck rescheduling meals while there. We got some popular ADRs (Crystal Palace before park opening, Ohana dinner, etc.)

I think BOG is the only one that is nearly impossible. Others I think you can wait until a little closer. BUT if there is something you really know you want (especially if it involves a character meal, Fantasmic package, being at a particular restaurant at fireworks time-like Cali Grill, Ohana) then book it-you can always cancel later. Other meals you can probably book the night before or the morning of...if I had kids to feed that would be getting hot and cranky, I wouldn't just walk up to a restaurant, I would at least look the day before based on where we will be.

Also, if you have the DDP or DxDP, then I would book meals b/c you don't want to end up so frustrated that you just eat quick service all the time b/c you can't get into a TS...that would be a waste of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter