Resale companies not based in Florida

IsThatYouTigger

Mouseketeer
Are most of the companies that sell DVC based in Florida? Should I be nervous if they are not in Florida? In my research for a contract I came across a new resale company...January 2017 new. Now I know all companies have to start somewhere, but for you DVC veterans would any of you feel comfortable purchasing from a new company? Clearly being new to the resale market I am more likely to stick to the 'main already have built a reputation guys' so I just wondered if any of you were brave enough to use an 'up and comer'? Or do you feel it is too risky?

Well, you aren't buying from a company. They're all just brokers. They all have to follow the same sales processes, just like any real estate agent.

Do your due diligence, but like buying a house, you'll end up working with the seller's agent who is representing the contract you want.

I would stick with an experienced company. We have purchased from 3 different Florida resale companies and 2 of them I would not use again, the third gets all of our business both buying and selling.

:earsboy: Bill

I would stick with an experienced company. We have purchased from 3 different Florida resale companies and 2 of them I would not use again, the third gets all of our business both buying and selling.

Do you mind revealing those two companies through PM? TIA.

LAX

I get that "everyone needs to start somewhere", but I would make sure to do some pretty extensive research before using them. Make sure they aren't a company that has just been changing names over the past few years because they have gotten caught doing shady business. This is what happened to us, so this advice is coming from experience. You are about to spend a sizable chunk of money and if something goes wrong, you may not get that money back.

Bill - we are starting to look for another DVC via resale. Could you let me know who you use? We are looking to avoid the nightmare that we are currently going through with our last attempt to purchase a DVC.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! We have signed up for alerts with the established companies and are in no hurry to purchase which gives us some flexibility on being able to wait for a contract that we really want. We own direct and have been hit by the 'add on bug' :-). So we are slowly dipping our toes into the resale world. My question was more out of curiosity than anything. @Shellyred8 I am so sorry about what happened with your resale purchase. I can see how that would really make you apprehensive to a not so established company...I really appreciate you sharing that experience because it truly helps others but am so sorry you are going through it.

Just my 2 cents. Tried using a new start up company last year because the owner was an experienced ex guide and they used a reputable closing company that many other brokers also use. Unfortunately it seems there was either a break down in communication between the broker and the seller or the seller was trying to scam the broker/buyer. I say this because the broker listed multiple contracts from the same owner that had incorrect information listed. As in both contracts had been stripped but were listed as having current UY points. In both cases DVC caught the error during ROFR at which point I and another poster here on the boards were able to cancel the contract and get our money back. Other established brokers require verification of the status of contacts prior to listing and/or penalties if the seller uses points listed as part of the sale prior to the transfer.
Personally after that experience I would only use one of those experienced brokers. Even if it was an honest mistake on the seller's part having good controls in place during the listing process would have saved everyone involved a lot of wasted time.

+1. Would love a PM with this info as well. Thanks!

I had a terrible experience with a "timeshare broker" in NC selling various DVC properties on ebay. How bad? They wanted me to pay 100% up front, but refused to tell me the basic information that should be on a sales agreement. Their rationale was that I'd look up the owner on the county website, contact them, and cut the broker out of their commission! When I pointed out that their state requires this information on a sales agreement for a timeshare, and their agreement with the seller would preclude them losing the commission, they told me to "get lost". I issued a formal complaint to their state real estate board. The real estate licensing board took my complaint VERY seriously. Apparently, this company had been selling timeshares for 10 years and were NEVER licensed as a real estate broker. Since then, I've been extra careful as to who I'm dealing with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter