Requesting Rooms - Art of Animation

potc

yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me
I've read some stuff where people are talking about requesting a room. We are going to be staying in the Little Mermaid rooms and we requested the King size bed. Is this what everyone is talking about? Requesting a different bed? Or are there some rooms that are better than others?

Also, some people mentioned that when they got to the resort and they were on their honeymoon they asked if they could get an upgrade. Does anyone think this is possible at AOA?

Thanks!

There isn't any way to tell why they were doing requests. Some have different areas of the resort they prefer, some want to be closer to the food court or the bus stop, others want to face away from the pool because they are worried about noise, in the larger resorts some want to be close to the elevator...AOA is so new and has only two buildings open so I don't know why someone might want to request a certain area there unless they like the theme of one area over the others, like maybe they prefer the Cars section.

At some of the resorts (not at the values) you can book a king bed room for an extra cost.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure what you might be "upgraded" to at AOA. Unless you mean upgraded from a regular room at Little Mermaid to a family suite. Don't see that happening. As far as I can tell all the Little Mermaid rooms have the same "status" and none are preferred, so I can't imagine there is anything to upgrade to within the section. I don't think a king bed room is considered an upgrade, you've followed the correct procedure in requesting one. Your room will be assigned several days before you arrive, so saying it's your honeymoon when you check in may not help you get one, unless you want to say that you will wait to see if one opens up.

Requests are for something extra than the category you booked. Unfortunately, over the years, Disney has realized they can finally create new booking categories to encompass the vast amount of requests over the years and people are more than willing to pay for it (case in point, two years ago, the mods got a bunch of new categories).

Most requests are:

floor level(first, second, third) some prefer to be on first floor with quick access to a pool; some prefer to have no one above them, some people prefer not to walk out of their room and encounter a critter.

Close to transportation: while preferred is a booking category close to the main transportation, some resorts have multiple bus stops and you can request being close to that area.

Close to pool: obvious choice.

Far from pool: don't want to be in a noisy area.

Adjoining rooms: multiple parties wanting to be in rooms next to each other.

Connecting rooms: want to have a door between so they can share room; keep eye on children, etc.

Upgrades that you are referring to (the discussion always comes around to this) are few and far between. They are usually based on circumstances that are beyond your control and you never know who's going to get one, if any. They may be anywhere from refurbishments in the resort that takes rooms out of inventory, a family that had to stay an extra day due to weather that they cannot get home, rooms with maintenance issues, overbooking at another resort that needs rooms, etc.

The worst way of getting an upgrade is asking for one. You will most likely be perceived as trying to get something you didn't pay for; remember there are a lot of other people out there, that are also celebrating special occasions that paid for the level of room they wanted and they are going to get it.

If you do ask for an upgrade, you will most likely be quoted the difference in price and it will be based on the highest rack rate for the new, upgraded room - and you will lose any discounts you may already have on your existing reservation. You will have to decide if it is worth it to you.

Best to book what you want or be happy with what you have - and don't set yourself up for disappointment.

In the value resorts, a king bed does seem to be requestable, whereas at the moderates, it's a separate booking category. However, what most people are talking about when they say they want to make a request is with regard to location. Different people are going to have different ideas about what is "better", though. For instance, some people want to be closer to the food court and pool for convenience, but some people would rather be further away from those things because those areas tend to be noisier.

I don't know what they could upgrade you to at AoA other than a suite, but if you ask for an upgrade, you should expect to pay for it. Sometimes people get free upgrades due to things like overbooking or a CM deciding to spread a little pixie dust, but asking for a free upgrade is a sure way to not get one.

I called to request top floor. We'll see if I get anything close.

IF we put in a request (which in our case is rare) I ask for quiet room, 3rd floor. Oddly enough asking for it or not we usually end up on the 3rd floor - we have a theory that they put the longer stay people (we're usually there 9 or 10 nights) up on 3 but it's just a theory.

I've read some people for AoA are requesting 'lake view'

I just had a few people tell me that if we are our on our honeymoon we should ask for an upgrade. Wasn't expecting to get one. Was just curious. I didn't really expect to be upgraded to a family suite. Don't really need all that room anyways. I was just wondering if this was actually something that happens. And I know that everyone has special occasions. Everyone feels they deserve an upgrade, whatever. Just a simple question. No harm in asking.

Good Morning DewDrop--this is the kind of thing I was wondering about. If people can request a LakeView room at AoA. I think we do not really want a room by the pool, so if possible we were hoping not to get one. Weren't really sure if people actually make requests like that though.

And the resort already knows it is our honeymoon. They were told when we made the reservation.

I am glad that you asked this question. We currently have a reservation at AOA in a LM room too.. I was thinking about calling and having a request added to the reservation to request a room facing the courtyard. In previous stays at other resorts, we usually book standard view rooms and always have a parking lot view. We just dont spend enough time in our room to justify paying for a better view. Even though i know there are no balconies at AOA i think it would be nice to have a door that opens to the courtyard/pool area. I have two children and am not usually bothered by noise in the hallways or at pools. If i were going on my honeymoon, I think i would like a room on the lake side. If you request a room facing the lake and they know its your honeymoon maybe you will get a little pixie dust and you will get your wish. I am a little apprehensive about calling to add a request since there are no room categories in AOA - LM (just standard room with no choice of bed size or differing views). But i will eventually call because at most resorts they do try to accomodate requests and if we have no request we will get what is left over. I am curious to know if some rooms at AOA - LM will have king beds. All the pictures i have seen of illustrations show two beds but the rooms look really nice.

I just had a few people tell me that if we are our on our honeymoon we should ask for an upgrade. Wasn't expecting to get one. Was just curious. I didn't really expect to be upgraded to a family suite. Don't really need all that room anyways. I was just wondering if this was actually something that happens. And I know that everyone has special occasions. Everyone feels they deserve an upgrade, whatever. Just a simple question. No harm in asking.

Good Morning DewDrop--this is the kind of thing I was wondering about. If people can request a LakeView room at AoA. I think we do not really want a room by the pool, so if possible we were hoping not to get one. Weren't really sure if people actually make requests like that though.

And the resort already knows it is our honeymoon. They were told when we made the reservation.

You asked a question on a board where many of us are experts at Disney. I am sorry if you did not get the answer you wanted to hear.

As for the statement that most of feel we "deserve an upgrade", that is not correct. Most of us work very hard to do our disney trip every year, work the discounts and budget what we can afford and book it. Disney is not about being entitled to getting more than you paid for. Disney does a lot for what you pay for already and the rest is the experiences you make.

Make it the trip you believe in.

Over the last 7 or 8 years we stayed at the Pop Century, I always request a specific area with a ground floor, it only happend twice that they could not honor our request. If you want something specific you have to ask for it when you book your reservation. When you get there at the check inn you have to remind them, when possible they try to satisfy your request. If you make your check inn very early in the morning you can tell them that you don't need your room now, you can wait for the one you want. They will give you your Key to the World while your room is getting ready.;):)

1990 to 1992, off site with DB+ friends 1994 off site with DB+ family/
1995 off site DB, DS (2) and DD on the way 1998 off site DB, DS DD/
1999 off site DB, DS, DD, + family/ 2000 to 2003 DB, DS, DD All star Sports
2004 to 2008 Pop Century with DB
(after 20 years, let’s say DH), DS, DD and family
2008 to 2009 Pop Century DH, DS, DD/ 2010 and 2011 Pop DH, DD and her friend
September 2012 DH and me alone for the 1st time.
Can’t wait to check inn at the POP!!!

I think AoA does have king size beds in the LM rooms, but I do not know for sure. We requested one, though. We will be fine with whatever room we get. Most of our time will be spent in the parks anyways. And we are switching to Universal at the end of our vacation, so that is where we plan to splurge on our hotel room. We may request a view of something besides the parking lot at AoA, though. I'm sure all the views are great. I'm excited to stay there because it is brand new. I've stayed in the Contemporary and Polynesian a few times, but we are wanting to try something different.

Some people are making it sound like a crime to make a request or ask for what you want. Again, no harm in asking. I understand that a lot of you guys are Disney experts, but some people on these boards are just trying to get a simple answer not have someone jump down their throat telling them it is wrong to do this or that you and that "Most of us work very hard to do our disney trip every year, work the discounts and budget what we can afford and book it. Disney is not about being entitled to getting more than you paid for." Again, I'm sure everyone does this including us. I don't think I was being entitled and trying to get more than I paid for. Obviously upgrades happen sometimes and I was advised to ask for one so I was inquiring if it was actually something I should do. Obviously not according to some Disney experts who believe it is unfair to get more than you paid for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter