Renting points, what happens if flight cancelled due to Erika?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
I rented points for a 1 bedroom AKL for next Tues - Sun. I am concerned my flight could be cancelled due to the tropical storm. I asked the person I rented from what would happen if we could not get there until Wed and he wasn't sure. He thought he'd lose his points. I would assume member services would give him his points back and he could reimburse me for one night. Is that correct?
If I had to cancel the entire trip would he be able to get all his points back? If not, I guess I'm gonna hop in the car and drive the 18 hours so I don't lose all that money!! But last time I had a flight cancelled with Spirit they couldn't get me out for 3 days. If I couldn't get to Disney for 3 days out of a 5 day trip there is no sense in going!!

If you cancel the day of check-in, then all points are lost. This is one of the risks with renting points. Did you purchase any travel insurance? If you only miss the first day, they may be able to get you checked in and you'd only be out the cost of one night.

I didn't purchase travel insurance. :( We went to Disney in 2004 and our flight was cancelled for Hurricane Jeanne and the person we rented from was able to reimburse us that day. So I didn't worry about it. But maybe things have changed in 10 years. Don't you think they'd take the storm into account if MCO closes? It would be easy enough to prove a flight cancellation. Just seems like they'd bend the rules a bit when it is Mother Nature that causes the problem. Best case scenario we just lose the one day. I would be fine if we were able to get on the morning flight the next day. Actually, best case scenario is there is NO storm and we fly in as scheduled on Tues!!

There is a hurricane policy on the member website. Although this will not likely be a hurricane.

Annually, from June 1 to November 30, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area, Vero Beach area, Hilton Head Island, Oʻahu or for the Member's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the Member may call Member Services at xxxxxxxxxx or (407) 566-3800† prior to Check-in to cancel or reschedule, based upon availability, their Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation without any cancellation or modification penalty.
Note: This policy pertains to hurricane warnings only. Other weather advisory levels are handled on a case by case basis and Members should contact Member Services.

I only quoted the first paragraph, there are more details on the web page.

Doesn't matter what the DVC policy is, it only matters what your written agreement says between you and the DVC owner that you rented from.

:earsboy: Bill

Doesn't matter what the DVC policy is, it only matters what your written agreement says between you and the DVC owner that you rented from.

True That!! :thumbsup2 The person you rented from might not want to go through the hassle of calling member services.

Ugh, I guess I am learning a lesson since i have NO written agreement. Everything done on good faith from a dis'er. Ok, I can live with losing the 1st day but let me ask this...if I end up having to cancel the whole trip the member should be able to get the rest of the days points back right? I'd lose Tues if canceling on the same day but Wed - Sun would be refundable? Cuz if I can't get the entire trip back that is a couple thousand dollars and I'll pay the $750 to change our flight to this Sunday to make sure I am there!!!!!

Ugh, I guess I am learning a lesson since i have NO written agreement. Everything done on good faith from a dis'er. Ok, I can live with losing the 1st day but let me ask this...if I end up having to cancel the whole trip the member should be able to get the rest of the days points back right? I'd lose Tues if canceling on the same day but Wed - Sun would be refundable? Cuz if I can't get the entire trip back that is a couple thousand dollars and I'll pay the $750 to change our flight to this Sunday to make sure I am there!!!!!

I would certainly NOT assume that. If they are at the end of the use year it doesn't matter if MS reimburses their points, their points are useless. You need to be talking to your member.

If you cancel on the check-in date, all the points used to make the reservation will be forfeited. Your options really depend on what the member is willing & able to do for you - it may be nothing.

Sending pixie dust and keeping my fingers crossed that the storm doesn't interfer with your flight.

He said if I were to cancel this close to the reservation he would lose his points. I asked him to call member services to see if there was anything they would do if the cancellation were due to the flight being cancelled and I haven't heard back. I think we'll know more tomorrow about the path of the storm. Seems to be headed west now. If it is still uncertain I'll just pay the $750 to change my flight for my peace of mind! When you are spending close to $5k for a trip to Disney, what's another $750 right? ;)

He said if I were to cancel this close to the reservation he would lose his points. I asked him to call member services to see if there was anything they would do if the cancellation were due to the flight being cancelled and I haven't heard back. I think we'll know more tomorrow about the path of the storm. Seems to be headed west now. If it is still uncertain I'll just pay the $750 to change my flight for my peace of mind! When you are spending close to $5k for a trip to Disney, what's another $750 right? ;)

SW has already issued a free change notice. The others may follow tomorrow.

Expect the worst and hope for the best. Most rentals are non-refundable, good luck.

I wouldn't expect any money back if you cancel. Even if he does get points back (and he won't, if you cancel the day of your reservation), he may not be able to use them or re-rent them, depending on where he is in his use year. And even if he's not near the end of the use year, there may not be any availability. So, just because he gets points back doesn't mean they'll be usable.

It sounds like the storm is shifting west, so hopefully this will all be moot and your flight will be fine. :)

Whew, super relieved to see that Erika will not be affecting our plans! Can't wait until Tues!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter