Renting Points VS Paying rack or discount rate??

ladyfoundhertramp

Mouseketeer
We have always booked a package through Disney and had free dining or a room only code. We are planning for January 2014 -- DH really wants to stay at Boardwalk..I have trouble swallowing the $400ish a night rate. Sure I would love to stay deluxe but the price KILLS me.

Do you think it may be cheaper to rent points then add dining and tickets..or just book it and wait for a code to come out ?? :confused3:confused3

Thanks in advance!

We were going Dec 2013 for NYE but have decided to just wait and go Jan 2nd 2014 and are now in the same boat. We'd love to pay for my DH's parents to go with us. They are in their late 60's/early 70's and have never been. My DH said he thinks his parents would love to stay at AKV so now I'm considering renting points for a 2br there.

When in January do you want to go? Chances are if you are the day after New Years you'll see a discount. There's been one the last few years so chances are there will be one then too.

We have gone the 3rd or 4th week in January our last 2 trips. And have had room only or free dining discount--hopefully that continues in value season. Our dates for the next trip are Jan 18-24 (DD has 3 days off school that week) so she only misses 2 days and it will be thurs/fri so it's a no brainer to go then.

We are going with a big group (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) my rule was everyone stays in the resort that suits them. I need my space at the end of a day, or heck even the middle of it!! :rotfl:

The biggest pro about renting DVC points is you get a villa at a deluxe resort at a fraction of the cost of rack rate. But there are some differences between renting a villa and booking a resort room from Disney:

*You typically have to book DVC villas much further out than you do regular resort rooms (this is especially true at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Bay Lake Tower and Wilderness Lodge).

*A studio villa will have a queen bed and a pullout sofa (the only exception is Old Key West, it has two queens in a studio).

*You don't get daily housekeeping when renting DVC points.

*Renting points typically will require you to pay for the entire reservation up front. And there is usually no refunds or changing dates once the reservation is made.

*The member retains control of the reservation until you check in. This means the member has to book your DME and/or your dining plan. Because you don't have control of the reservation, there has to be an element of trust of the person you're renting from. Get references and check them, and check the OCC Web site for the person's DVC deed (provided they own at WDW resort).

Good luck with your decision!

Great info, Missyrose! Was considering BCV but your last two points, especially, makes me take a third look at straight up BC with (hopefully) AAA or AP discount.

Thanks very much!

:goodvibes

Dizzytime said:
Great info, Missyrose! Was considering BCV but your last two points, especially, makes me take a third look at straight up BC with (hopefully) AAA or AP discount.

Thanks very much!

:goodvibes

I totally understand your hesitation, but I will just tell you we have rented many times and it is a fabulous deal! Last January, we rented points for a week for the Marathon (second week of January) and a studio ended up being over $500 cheaper than the 40% AP discount that came out later! We are renting again next January, and are paying $1200 for 7 nights in a deluxe....definitely a better deal than free dining (especially if you don't really eat the way the DDP makes you eat) or a room discount!

Hi, everyone.
I will say that my wife has rented our points on many occasions- assisted with dining, plans, etc. Before you choose a DVC owner to rent from- interview them. How many times have they rented in the past? What are they willing to do for you? We have had many great experiences. Good luck!

After renting points, I will never go back to paying regular prices! Our schedules only allow us to go during busy times, so there is rarely any kind of discount offered by Disney. But with points I have been able to stay deluxe at half of Disney's price for the exact same room! We always plan far ahead, so that doesn't bother us, and have gotten lucky with people we rent with who have always been accommodating and willing to make changes if needed. Really, it is a no-brainer for us!

Have any of you had any success with Davids' Vacation Club Rentals? Is that what it's called? He's advertised on this page...I think it's ok to mention here....if not, I am VERY sorry! Just curious is all....I didn't realize we had to contact the owners to book our ME & Dining Plans....I thought we could do that through him. Yikes! I'd better do more research!

Have any of you had any success with Davids' Vacation Club Rentals? Is that what it's called? He's advertised on this page...I think it's ok to mention here....if not, I am VERY sorry! Just curious is all....I didn't realize we had to contact the owners to book our ME & Dining Plans....I thought we could do that through him. Yikes! I'd better do more research!

When you deal with a broker, they will pass on your information to the broker but then the broker will have to contact the Member who has the points.

Whether you use a broker such as David's or find a member yourself the Member has to book everything and has control until you check in.

We rented points last year from David's, had no problems at all, it was wonderful! For this year we kept waiting for free dining or somthing for Feb. 2013, it still has not come out. So, yesterday we bit the bullet and rented again! We saved way more than the 30% being offered for the holidays in Dec. We are booked at AKV for a studio for 10 nights for $1833 for Feb 7-17 2013. What I love about renting is being able to stay somewhere nicer than we could have afforded otherwise. It would have cost us $4,562.00 to go through Disney, even with a 30% discount it would not come close to what we are paying. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

Personally, we come out better renting points and getting tickets seperately. We now pass on the DDP since it's declined value over the last few years.

We now get a room with a full kithchen and eat breakfast in the room each day. We eat a table service usually 5 our of 7 nights in the park, maybe one signature meal, but we just pay OOP for that.

I just do not see the savings? Am I doing something wrong? I have been playing with the dates 7/26/13- 8/3/13 BCV 1 bedroom and the price is 4815.00. I have an AP and the disount around then is usually anywhere from 30%-35%. The price on David's website is 4043.00. With the AP discount it would be 3371.00. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please explain. TIA :)

Inurdrems9 said:
I just do not see the savings? Am I doing something wrong? I have been playing with the dates 7/26/13- 8/3/13 BCV 1 bedroom and the price is 4815.00. I have an AP and the disount around then is usually anywhere from 30%-35%. The price on David's website is 4043.00. With the AP discount it would be 3371.00. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please explain. TIA :)

My quick calculation using Mousesavers rate chart shows $535 x 8 nights = $4280. If you could get a 35% discount on a 1 BR that would be cheaper. Whether that would be available at that high of a discount is unknown.

Renting DVC is not guaranteed to be the cheapest option always depending on when you are going and what the offers are.

I think the points rental is a better deal when there are no RO discounts available for your dates. I also played with the David's Rental thing and the price for our OKW stay comes out just a little less than with the AP discount. I would rather pay the extra amount and have maid service and the option to change/cancel our ressie if needed (have already changed my mind and extended it so I'm glad I didn't try to rent points).

Thank You for answering. I just thought I was doing something wrong. I agree with paying through Disney with the maid service and being in control of my ressie. Thanks Again. :goodvibes

One more thing. You can never get free dining with a DVC points stay.

Renting points is amazing! We rented in 2010 and stayed 5 nights at BLT for $825. We rented again in May 2012 for the last 2 nights of DH's conference at BLT for $380. And we are renting again for our first 2 nights of our Christmas trip for $320 at the Beach Club.

If I remember correctly, renting points for $11.50 pp was the equivalent of a 40% RO discount, at least when we stayed at AKV. I believe David's price is $13.00 pp, so he will not necessarily be the cheapest option.

I've been looking at the DVC point rental board and there are plenty of owners currently renting for less than David's. Just for comparison, we're planning to stay at AoA for part of our upcoming trip. 5 nights = $1227.95. I could get a 1 br @ AkV (assuming availability) for $1140 ($10 pp) or $1254 ($11 pp). For approximately the same price, we would have more space, a full kitchen, washer/dryer and a 5 minute ride to AK. Sadly, the washer/dryer is the biggest thing I will miss at AoA :rotfl: The threads I've seen for under $11 though had to be used in the next few months.

By the way, we had a wonderful experience renting. The owner had to set up the dining plan, but I was able to schedule ME myself once I had the reservation #. The only thing that made me hesitate this time was being locked in to a non-refundable reservation so far in advance.

This is what we used to rent points, so much cheaper. We buy our tickets an use the disney visa card to get disney dollars to pay for food & drinks.
We are going to req boardwalk next Jan at 7 months out. This year we are staying at SSR, going in two weeks. Was able to save up 580.00 disney dollars.

The total stay for 5 nights at SSR (OCT) for studio was 989.00 no tax.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter