"Renting" DVC Questions

HLAuburn

DIS Veteran
Hi-
We've just started looking into the DVC "renting" deal, and I have looked over all the FAQs etc, but I still have a few questions.

I know it can vary from owner to owner, but in general, how much can I expect to pay as a deposit and when will the balance be due? Also, what is a fair cancellation policy, if any?

If we book a a WL villa, where do we check in? At the WL front desk? Are there any DCV "perks" you get to take advantage of as a DVC "renter"?

Thanks in advance for the help! :goodvibes

I will take a stab at some of your questions.

Each owner sets their own payment policy. I have heard some require payment in full - especially if the dates of travel are not too far away. Some take a percentage with the balance due so many days later. It really will vary greatly.

Since you are dealing directly with the owners, there really is no cancellation policy. I think most people renting do consider it to be a final transaction.

Check in at WLV will be at the regular WL check in.

DVC Member perks are only for the DVC Members themselves.

I take half down, balance at 90 days prior to checkin.
There is not a cancellation policy. Points run by Use Year, so they are not easy to cancel and then rebook at short notice.
If you are wanting VWL, it is a very small resort so I would recommend finding a VWL Owner to book for you.
If you are wanting to travel soon, it will be just about impossible. The further out you plan the more success you will have.

I know it can vary from owner to owner, but in general, how much can I expect to pay as a deposit and when will the balance be due? Also, what is a fair cancellation policy, if any?
I take payment in full upon securing a booking for my timeshares. There are no refunds for any reason. I encourage my renters to take trip insurance.

Make sure you put your request out with plenty of time to plan. Most members make their reservations 11 months out. And some times are impossible to get if you don't make that reservation 11 months out.

It is a good idea to post for exactly what you want at the 11 month booking window, and to check the Rent/Trade boards to see who has points that you could rent. With such a small resort you will have to be prepared to jump on points when they become available. I have only dealt with one owner, and she and I were both new to "renting" so my experience is limited to the two transactions we had.

Her terms were that I paid a deposit of one half the total up front, then the balance once the reservation was made. She gave me 60 days to cancel or modify the reservation, with the clause in our contract that once I changed I might not be able to get a new reservation. In other words, if I canceled then I was running the risk of not getting a new reservation and would lose the money I put down on the rental.

There was also a clause in the contract that I would be solely responsible for any room charges incurred during my visit.

The only "perks" I received as a renter was a severely discounted room and the pleasure of staying at AKV, which was lovely. :)

You MAY get free internet.

You MAY get a lot of things - your room card will very likely say "DVC member," you'll probably get the 'portable perks' flyer when you check in and it MAY end up in you getting restaurant discounts. We've always been asked for our "Blue Member Card" when getting discounts or pool hopping. We don't valet park (another DVC member perk) but my understanding is that members often have to argue that one off their bill with the front desk anyway - I wouldn't count on it not showing up on your bill. But all the perks are subject to change and are applied - even for members - with some amount of haphazardness.

You are ENTITLED to no DVC member perks - but all the perks of an onsite guest like EMH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter