Renting DVC points - pros/cons

cmsnyder77

Mouseketeer
I'm sorry if this is on the wrong forum. I had a hard time figuring out where to post it.
I just started looking into renting DVC points through a site that is said to be reputable. Doing this is a completely new concept to me. I love the idea of being able to stay at a deluxe resort for a lower cost. It does make me a bit nervous, though, not booking through Disney. I would appreciate any suggestions and input on anything I may not be thinking of.
Thanks!

I recently rented points through the DVC Rental Store. So far, no problems at all. They send you the reservation number and it links up with yor My Disney Experience without a single problem. My wife and I are going in September for our anniversary and it's nice as we would never have been able to afford to stay at the resort we chose for rack rates.

To me, the biggest downside is that you probably can't change or modify your reservation. If something pops up at your resort, like construction, you're stuck. I just had that happen in December at VWL. Construction was supposed to be finished, but wasn't.

I recently rented points through the DVC Rental Store. So far, no problems at all. They send you the reservation number and it links up with yor My Disney Experience without a single problem. My wife and I are going in September for our anniversary and it's nice as we would never have been able to afford to stay at the resort we chose for rack rates.
Where do you find the DVC Rental Store??? I'm interested in this. Then do you buy tickets etc separately at the Disney World website?

Did not know it would not allow you to put a hyperlink in the post. Just google "DVC Rental Store" and you will find it!

I'm sorry if this is on the wrong forum. I had a hard time figuring out where to post it.
I just started looking into renting DVC points through a site that is said to be reputable. Doing this is a completely new concept to me. I love the idea of being able to stay at a deluxe resort for a lower cost. It does make me a bit nervous, though, not booking through Disney. I would appreciate any suggestions and input on anything I may not be thinking of.
Thanks!
The disadvantages would be:
  • Stricter cancellation policies. You might not be able to cancel your reservation once you make it.
  • Less flexible payment options. DVC owners will want to be paid in full earlier than Disney would want to be paid for a room-only reservation.
  • The DVC owner retains control of the reservation until you check in. All changes and room requests have to go through them. This includes adding dining to your room reservation (which must be paid for when it's added).
  • Daily Mousekeeping is not included with a DVC stay. It can be added, for a price.
  • DVC reservations can be difficult to get for certain resorts at certain times. You need to plan in advance for your stay, sometimes as early as 11+ months before arrival.
  • Most DVC studios do not have 2 real beds. Other than OKW, the DVC studios have one queen bed and one pullout sofa bed. Some have been built or renovated to also include a drop-down bed similar to those found at POR.

The disadvantages would be:
  • Stricter cancellation policies. You might not be able to cancel your reservation once you make it.
  • Less flexible payment options. DVC owners will want to be paid in full earlier than Disney would want to be paid for a room-only reservation.
  • The DVC owner retains control of the reservation until you check in. All changes and room requests have to go through them. This includes adding dining to your room reservation (which must be paid for when it's added).
  • Daily Mousekeeping is not included with a DVC stay. It can be added, for a price.
  • DVC reservations can be difficult to get for certain resorts at certain times. You need to plan in advance for your stay, sometimes as early as 11+ months before arrival.
  • Most DVC studios do not have 2 real beds. Other than OKW, the DVC studios have one queen bed and one pullout sofa bed. Some have been built or renovated to also include a drop-down bed similar to those found at POR.

All of these items that Marionnette posted are true - I apologize that I forgot to include them. However, I will say that using the company we utilized, we were only required to pay the deposit and reservation fee up front, and we pay the other half 60 days before our trip (so not to unlike Disney's reservation system). Personally for us, we don't mind not having the Mousekeeping daily as it isn't a huge inconvenience because their are just two of us. But you should note that if you want your room serviced daily, or if you don't want to take your own trash out, it may not be the best option for you. I believe they do a "trash and tidy" on day four, and a full clean with new sheet and towels on day eight.

We were lucky, as we were able to get a room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge 6 months out (our other choices were OKW and SSR) but it can be difficult (as we wanted to stay at one of the Boardwalk Properties, BLT, or GFV - but AKL made us happy as we actually had not considered it until we found out it was available). I'm sure DVC rental isn't for everyone, but if you're willing to forgo a few of the small comforts of a typical hotel stay and be open to whatever properties are available, it can be a great deal on a hotel at the World.

When I was renting, I never used the Rental Store, I went to the DVC Rent/Trade board and rented from the actual owner. I did this probably half dozen times and never had a problem. All the owners were very wonderful to work with. Always read the fine print! Good luck and enjoy!

I would probably consider going to the boards now, but as it was our first time I wasn't sure what to expect.

All of these items that Marionnette posted are true - I apologize that I forgot to include them. However, I will say that using the company we utilized, we were only required to pay the deposit and reservation fee up front, and we pay the other half 60 days before our trip (so not to unlike Disney's reservation system). Personally for us, we don't mind not having the Mousekeeping daily as it isn't a huge inconvenience because their are just two of us. But you should note that if you want your room serviced daily, or if you don't want to take your own trash out, it may not be the best option for you. I believe they do a "trash and tidy" on day four, and a full clean with new sheet and towels on day eight.

We were lucky, as we were able to get a room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge 6 months out (our other choices were OKW and SSR) but it can be difficult (as we wanted to stay at one of the Boardwalk Properties, BLT, or GFV - but AKL made us happy as we actually had not considered it until we found out it was available). I'm sure DVC rental isn't for everyone, but if you're willing to forgo a few of the small comforts of a typical hotel stay and be open to whatever properties are available, it can be a great deal on a hotel at the World.
Disney room-only reservations require a 1-night deposit with the balance paid upon check-in. That's a big difference from DVC rental policies. Even a Disney package doesn't require full payment until 45 days prior to check in.

ETA:
If the OP is interested in going through an agency instead of renting directly from a DVC owner, they might want to investigate https://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp (they sponsor the DVC boards). There is a $98 "partial payment" fee when a rental application is made and then 100% of the price (minus the $98 you already paid) is due when your reservation is confirmed. There will be different terms when going through other agencies or when renting directly from an owner but they will all want to be paid in full earlier than Disney would require payment for a resort reservation.

Last edited:
DVC offers studios, 1 Bedroom Villas, 2 Bedroom Villas, Bungalows, and 3 Bedroom Grand Villas at their DVC resorts. YouTube has room tours of these if you want to take a look.
For instance "Animal Kingdom Kidani Village 3 Bedroom Grand Villa"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lNSVRzelc

Bay Lake Tower 2 Bedroom Villa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Piwof_DME
Grand Floridian Villas Studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxJpQr5VOY

There are also videos of the resorts' grounds and amenities:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhF01OLoDEI
HOUSEKEEPING ON POINTS:

Trash & Towel Service:

For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using member-discounted cash, vacation points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
Provide fresh bathroom linens.
Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service:

For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

Change the bed linens.
Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
Clean the bathroom(s).
Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Disney room-only reservations require a 1-night deposit with the balance paid upon check-in. That's a big difference from DVC rental policies. Even a Disney package doesn't require full payment until 45 days prior to check in.
Correct, but I think the poster's point was that one doesn't always have to pay in full up front with point rentals.

Correct, but I think the poster's point was that one doesn't always have to pay in full up front with point rentals.
But I never said that any of them wanted to be paid in full up front. I said that they have "less flexible payment options" and that "DVC owners will want to be paid in full earlier than Disney would want to be paid for a room-only reservation." Both of those statement are true.

Many posts here mention the disadvantages of renting DVC points. If one can accept those, the big advantage is getting into deluxe properties at (discounted) moderate prices. We rented points for our upcoming trip and for 6 nights at OKW followed by 5 nights at AKL, our average cost per night is $154.

I have rented points twice, once for a June 2013 stay at BWV and again for our upcoming October trip. Both times I found an owner on the rent/trade boards here on the DIS. Here's the process I went through.
1. Pick the dates for my trip
2. Decide where we want to stay
3. Look on rent/trade boards to find an owner who had points available and owned at the resort we were looking to stay at (members can book rooms 11 months out at resorts they own points at and 7 months at other dresorts) because really wanted to stay at WVL (or BWV last trip) and needed to book as soon as possible to get what we wanted.
4. Once I found a member who had points at VWL, I contacted him.
5. We corresponded through e-mails so I was able to ask questions and get more information
6. I asked for references
7. I checked a website that list properties owned, to check to make sure he owned points at the resort stated
8. I asked for a sample rental agreement and he sent me a copy
9. I reviewed the rental agreement
10. I decided this was the person I wanted to rent from and he checked to see if my dates were available at the resort I wanted
11. The resort and dates were available so I had the member make the reservation for me
12. The member made my reservations (one for me and one for my in-laws)
13. He forwarded the confirmation numbers to me
14. I sent payment via paypal (the whole amount was due at this time, and I was fine with that.
15. I can log into MDE account and see both reservations
16. I checked into and purchased travel insurance that will cover us if something should come up and we need to cancel

I like renting points because it allows us to stay at resorts we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. I chose to go through the DIS boards because 1. I didn't have to pay a deposit and 2. I was able to get the points cheaper than going through one of the rental sites. It takes a lot of trust on both parties, but if one feels comfortable doing it, it is a great way to stay at a deluxe at the price of a moderate. I'm paying $188/night (standard rate at a moderate is $192 without a discount). I don't mind that we don't get mouse-keeping. At home I don't change my towels and sheets daily and it's nice to be able to go back the room and not worry about be interrupted.

Just remember when renting points, you won't be able to apply any discounts that Disney releases such as a room discount or free dining. I knew that even if FD was released, my dates would probably be not included based on previous years dates. I was right, my dates Oct. 10-17 are blacked out. Even if a room only discount comes out for my dates, I'm not paying that much more to stay at VWL.

Overall, I am happy with my choice to rent points. I researched a lot and knew exactly what I was getting into. I wouldn't not recommend renting to somebody who does not want to do their homework and understand how it works. It is definitely not for everybody.

I just rented through the DVC rental store for an anniversary trip with my husband for September as well! This is the only way we could budget a deluxe resort as well (Wilderness Lodge Villas). It's been smooth so far... hope everything works out in September.

We rented on our last trip and it was an easy process. I found the trip so relaxing not having to think about housekeeping or time our return for naps around them. We are only a family of 3 so the studio was great for us. We totally plan on renting for our next trip.

For a first time renter I suggest using the suggested brokers like David's- dvcrequest.com, instead of a member on dis- even if its more money per point its a bit safer-

You'll need to start planning in advance- its best to rent at 11 months at the more popular, smaller resorts and no later than 7 months for AKV, SSR, OKW.

We are DVC owners and many of us here on the DIS, including myself, rent out our points through David's. He is a sponsor here on the boards. For the most part if you find an owner who has a good post record here on the DIS, you will probably have no problems going directly with an owner. If you have any hesitations though, then for sure go through a third party such as David's.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned as a negative....you can not get free dining with a DVC reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter