Renting a house....anyone done it?

Skyw

DIS Veteran
HI
I am a lurker....but I read many of the threads. Everyone seems to a lot like me in terms of expectations and fun. So here it is. My family wants to do a big family vacation (14-16 people). We will have to pay for my DSD and her significant other. We also would like some privacy from them too ;) . The cabins would be hard for us. And costly after paying for 4 adults and 1 kid. I am looking into renting a house instead with many bedrooms and bathrooms. I know you guys are campers, but I also know you guys stay at the cabins and hotels too. What are your thoughts? Would I miss out on some of the Disney/FW magic? Or for just one trip would it OK. How is the driving back and forth from the parks?

Thanks

I would say that it is up to you personally. I have stayed off property before and it hasn't been that bad. We rented a condo and had two families and did things off property at night and went to the parks during the day. It really depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish during your vacation. Just make sure you read the rental agreement backwards, forwards and sideways to keep to CYA. You never know these days.

We're renting a 2BR timeshare in November - we've never done that before. It's really cheap though and the place gets good reviews - I'll let you know more in November.

Look on the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for lots more information.

Personally I don't think you'll lose any of the magic, but that's just me.

I think renting a condo or two would be a good way to go and cheaper since you're going have to foot the bill for DSD and friend.

We rented a house from these people a few years ago Tremaine5@aol.com. Very clean. Quiet neighborhood. Private pool. Not far from the parks. Driving was not a problem at all.

thanks everyone. I think we are going to do it. Which ones has everyone stayed in. I am looking at the ones close to Disney on the western side. Windsor hills or Arcadia.

I will miss the fort.:sad2:

Sky...you're no lurker!!!
I have thought about renting a condo for big ol'family. It sure is cheaper than the resorts...but you have to factor in parking at the parks, but the difference is still huge savings. And of all of the pics Ive seen online (especially on Ebay) most of the rental homes are nicely decorated and have private pools as well as washer & dryers.

Ok I have to tell you that I have done alot of research on this very subject :

We have a reservations for FW next year but I have really tossed around the idea of staying off site, with gas and the cost of the camping sites going sky high, I have really consider it.

Windsor Hill is where I would really consider staying if I didn't have a pet going with us ( the pet fee is unreal ), but like I said in all my research I have found more pros than cons with this place.

My only problems with rentals are : the pictures always look great and you never really know if it's a great place or not until you get there, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and some may say it's clean and beautiful and it may be a dump...hey I live in a dump, I don't want to vacation in one. Plus the picture is from 1980 and we are now in 2008..

Second the deposit, anyone can say anything and you will lose your deposit, I don't want to fight someone for my money back because they say I took a towel home. :eek:

The area and drive ...they say it's 5 minutes away but you end up in traffic for 40 minutes unless you know an area it can get crazy and the safty of an area, heck i don't wanta get robbed.

I'm not about to pay 25.00 a day pet fee to take my dog who will sleep all day on the floor . :rolleyes:

To tell you the truth if I could come across a nice, clean place that allows pets and is close to WDW and reasonably priced, I would probably grab it up for my 2009 vacation...

One of our recent trips was where I took my pop-up but other family members rented a house with a pool close by. Plus we've done family trips spread across multiple cabins...

The house is nice because there is a big air-conditioned space to spread out. It had a screened in pool attached which was nice for dips after a hot day in the park. Although it was close to FW, it was still a 10-15 minute drive back towards Kissimmee south of Hwy 192. So there is a little loss of the magic, plus the drive, plus the cost of parking. If you get a big house and fill it up, the cost per person is quite reasonable.

When we did multiple cabins, it was a little harder to all be together in one place because no one place was big enough. The deck on the cabins won't comfortably hold 16 people if you wanted to get together and grill hot dogs and burgers. Not as much space for all the little kids to sit around the tv and watch cartoons.

You can tell by my comments I chose to take my pop-up and stay at the Fort while the rest stayed at the house. They came to spend one night with us and we went over to see them plus common time in parks together. I appreciated a little space though, honestly.

Your decision will depend on the cost differences plus the value you put on the Disney "magic" of the resort. If the magic is nice but not worth a whole lot more, do the big house. I found that folks who have never been to the Fort in our group favored the house even though we showed them pictures of the cabins. Check out the http://www.vrbo.com website for towns like Lake Buena Vista which is close to Disney for house choices.

Good luck!

Bama ED

To tell you the truth if I could come across a nice, clean place that allows pets and is close to WDW and reasonably priced, I would probably grab it up for my 2009 vacation...

The three Universal hotels (Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay) all let you bring your dog(s)! They even give you a doggie pack, with bowls, a mat, and treats! And, they have a special room service menu for them too! We've stayed there twice with Barclay - once at Portofino and once at the Royal Pacific. It was great! They have a nice dog-walk area too!

Feel free to email me, if you're ever interested. (Or click on the link in my signature) :)

The three Universal hotels (Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay) all let you bring your dog(s)! They even give you a doggie pack, with bowls, a mat, and treats! And, they have a special room service menu for them too! We've stayed there twice with Barclay - once at Portofino and once at the Royal Pacific. It was great! They have a nice dog-walk area too!

Feel free to email me, if you're ever interested. (Or click on the link in my signature) :)

Rhonda I have thought about staying at one of these resorts my problem would be I don't think we could afford one... I have never really checked but I think it's out of our range. Would love it though.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I think the house would be cheaper for everyone. The only thing that concerns me is the flexibility of the transportation. You know...like if Grandma doesn't want to stay as long as we do. She can simple get on the bus and be back. We would definitely have to coordinated rental cars and trips back and forth.

I wonder how realistic it is to actually get 4-6 cabins all in a row at FW?

My man did the house thing over Christmas a coupla years ago..... If you want, I can ask him where he found out about it. He loved it, they had like 13 people. 4 cabins is going to cost you $1000 a night, might as well rent Tiger's house at Windemere if you are going to do that.

gator dad- that would be great if you have the info. You know how pictures are online. It might look better then it is. I hear ya, that many people staying at the cabins would be costly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter