Renting a car when you have no Credit Card and bad credit??

amberama76

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if there are any car rental companies that allow you to rent with a only debit card and/or a deposit if you have bad credit?

I was looking at one rental place a couple years ago when we were going to go out of town and it said that you could rent using a debit card if you had approved credit. I think it was Dollar. So I cancelled my rental because our credit is awful.

Be prepared with lots of money in your bank account for them to put on hold.

Before we had a CC we used the TAs like expedia to rent cars from. Was all paid up in advance and didn't have to give them a card when we got there.

I rented a car from alamo rental car last sept with a debit card and didn't have no proble with it and hiding fee on the debta card to

I think you can rent from Enterprise with a debit card from MCO as long as you provide return flight information. I know this varies so you will want to check what they say about MCO (and I'm sure they would, because Orlando is the rental car mecca of the US...)

No we are thinking of renting in Houston and driving the rental car to Disney. But I'm worried that it is going to cost too much to have a rental car from May 29th till June 8th, when I could just spend that money to buy new tires for our car and take it.

But I'm worried that it is going to cost too much to have a rental car from May 29th till June 8th, when I could just spend that money to buy new tires for our car and take it.

Step one ... price it out.

It does *not* require a credit card to look at car rental prices. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

No we are thinking of renting in Houston and driving the rental car to Disney. But I'm worried that it is going to cost too much to have a rental car from May 29th till June 8th, when I could just spend that money to buy new tires for our car and take it.

Might be a great idea. If you need new tires anyway, and there's nothing else that is likely to happen with the car...

But as ibob said, price it out.

Might be a great idea. If you need new tires anyway, and there's nothing else that is likely to happen with the car...

But as ibob said, price it out.

I've priced it out. And its going to be nearly $300 for any mid-size car and I still have no clue if I can even rent with no credit card. Every place that has budget type pricing like Dollar and Thrifty - their terms on the websites say they do a credit check if you use a debit card or else they say you can not rent with a debit card.

I've never rented a car with a debit but at dollar last week there was a sign thst if you used s debit card they would put a hold of 1000 on your card even if yu have prepaid. We always prepay with credit card but still have to give them card when we pick up card

While I do not have any recent experience renting a car with a Debit Card

I would think it is *Best* to assume that there will be a *credit check*

when renting a car with a *Debit Card*

Last edited:
Look at the web site for your rental car company. They always have a section explaining how a rental with a debit card works.

If your car needs new tires anyway, I don't see how it makes more sense to rent a car for the same price or more rather than just buying the new tires.

I've priced it out. And its going to be nearly $300 for any mid-size car and I still have no clue if I can even rent with no credit card. Every place that has budget type pricing like Dollar and Thrifty - their terms on the websites say they do a credit check if you use a debit card or else they say you can not rent with a debit card.
I know Avis will allow you to use a debit card, but there will be a hold on the card for the full amount of the reservation plus $250 or so. That means you won't be able to use that money for anything else. Keep in mind that hotels will also frequently put through an authorization for more than the rate (to cover any incidentals), so you may have a lot of money in your account that you won't be able to use.

I know Avis will allow you to use a debit card, but there will be a hold on the card for the full amount of the reservation plus $250 or so. That means you won't be able to use that money for anything else. Keep in mind that hotels will also frequently put through an authorization for more than the rate (to cover any incidentals), so you may have a lot of money in your account that you won't be able to use.

disney resorts don't do that right??

disney resorts don't do that right??
When we have gone to disney they have never put more money than the cost of package. But we had packages (tickets, dining and hotel) that had to be paid before we got there.
They did ask if we wanted to leave a card number to charge things to the room. We declined. Not sure if it's the same for RO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter