Renting a beach house in winter

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by MamaLema, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MamaLema

MamaLema DIS Veteran

More specifically, what is there to do in a beach town, let's say in Ocean Banks in January?

No, I am not trying to be snarky.

I'm just curious. To me, I associate the beach with swimming all day in the ocean and laying under an umbrella while my kids make sandcastles.

I know that now it is off-season and it's about half price to stay oceanfront, but is there enough to do in a beach town off-season? Are there enough restaurants, and such open?

Trying to decide if it's even worth it to go.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. denisenh

denisenh <font color=deeppink>All I can do is lie down<br><

enjoy the view
    enjoy the solitude
    reflect on life
    write poetry
    walk, run
    i could think of a lot to do.

4. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

I've never taken a beach vacation at a time when it would be chilly at my vacation destination, however, the idea has always appealed to me.

I've often wanted to do this after facing a life changing event, or when needing to make a major life decision. Getting away from all the daily stressors, and being able to solely focus on my family, or myself, would be a nice break from it all. Time to gather thoughts, meditate, and ponder life's direction, is a great way to refresh and clear the head. Being near water is very therapeutic.

5. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

We have done it and the quiet on the island is nice. We can get in to all our favorite restaurants. Take long walks in the sand. Where we go though there is Charleston nearby, so everything there is a possibility for indoor days as well.

6. Christine

Christine Would love to be able to sit on

I've never done it because, like you OP, I equate a beach vacation with being on the beach, swimming, etc.

I'm not one that likes to go away and just sit in a house and do nothing or sit in a hotel room for the sake of just doing that. I do know many people who get immense joy out of that, but it's not for me.

7. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

Been to the beach twice during cool months. Both times to get away from single digit temps back home LOL.

8. Kathi OD

Kathi OD <marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl

I think it depends on the beach town you're talking about, and to some extent how cold it is in the non-beach months. Some beach towns have lots of activities that go on through the winter months because they have a large number of year-round residents. Other towns are like ghost towns in the off-season, no restaurants open, no activities going on. Still others fall somewhere in the middle.

9. clm10308

clm10308 DIS Veteran

I agree that it really depends on location. I have been to Galveston and Corpus Christi in winter months with temps in the mid to up 70s dusting the day. It was a bit cold in the ocean for me, but the kids had a ball.

10. Wishing on a star

Wishing on a star DIS Veteran

It depends!

I am a warm-weather beach person.

But, my favorite beach area is huge for 'snowbirds'.

If it means getting out of the frigid north.
    Enjoying the area without crowds.
    Warm enough for walks on the beach, etc...
    (near 70' in that area today, even though the weather is chilly and nasty here where I am at.)

I can see that this might mean a lot to some people.
    Especially those from up north.

11. MIGrandma

MIGrandma Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.

We live in Michigan, so we love staying in a condo on the beach (Daytona) in the winter. Some years it's been rather chilly, but still nice to us when we leave sub zero temps behind. :) We are not typical "beach people", as we don't care to spend an entire day sitting on the beach or swimming. A couple hours of that is enough for us.

If it's not warm enough to lay out/swim at all we still find plenty to do. We have a bunch of favorite restaurants, one being on a pier out over the water. We take drives on the beach (yes, you can drive your car on the beach at Daytona in most places), take drives in the outer areas to explore, visit the lighthouse and walk the piers, walk on the beach (we can still enjoy that wearing jeans and sweatshirts), go shopping, play miniature golf, sit outside on our balcony and watch/listen to the water and read a good book, or sit outside together talking and sipping a glass of wine, etc.

12. massagemama

massagemama Earning My Ears

We just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay in Lewes, DE...just outside of Rehoboth. It's our favorite summer beach vacation town, right on the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Close enough to Rehoboth to enjoy the boardwalk and beach town stuff but much quieter. Cape Henlopen State Park is in Lewes, one side is on the ocean and the other on the bay. We've had a super busy year and knew if we didn't go somewhere on our time off we'd end up working around the house. We didn't have a ton of money to spend so we didn't want to go far.

We ate apps at our favorite Mexican restaurant on Friday afternoon then had Grotto's pizza delivered to the condo that night while we played games with the kids (13 and 10). Saturday it rained so we went bowling, had lunch at another favorite restaurant then went to a movie. Sat night we had dinner at the condo and watched a movie on dvd. Sunday was sunny but super windy and pretty cold. We wandered through Rehoboth and Lewes and did some window shopping then back to the favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. Monday was less windy and a bit warmer so we bundled up and took the kids and the dog to the Henlopen beach to search for sea glass. Found 7 or 8 pieces, more than we've ever found. We had dinner at a restaurant we've been meaning to try but haven't been able to get into. Then back to the condo for more games and the ball dropping on tv.

We didn't spend a huge amount of money. We were able to easily get into restaurants we have either had to wait for a long time or haven't been able to get into at all. Most shops and restaurants were open and people were happy to see us. We didn't worry about anything at home and we were able to spend time with the kids actually having fun. We relaxed a lot and the kids said it was the best trip ever. I'm so glad we went.

13. disney4us2002

disney4us2002 Tagless by choice!!

OMG, we love Grotto's. My dad used to own an RV and it was parked year-round in Lewes. I haven't thought about Grotto's in years....

We have vacationed twice at beach towns during Thanksgiving week. The first was in Nags Head, NC and the second was in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Both were awesome. NMB was definitely warmer (70s during the day) and a bit cheaper as it was a condo but the house in Nags Head was a really, super nice house that in the summer we could never afford but Thanksgiving week was $600 and included a hot tub. I find it very relaxing to vacation in the off season and since there are less crowds, hubby is at peace. I don't know the place mentioned by OP so I can't comment on the weather or things to do.

14. luvmyfam444

luvmyfam444 DIS Veteran

ask the snowbirds who head to their condo all winter long on the beach, year after year - they have plenty to do.

In our nearby beach town most places are open...the putt putts, gocart track, restaurants, everything I can think of.

And today it was 72 I believe - the ocean would have been a bit cold, unless your used to cold water. But the air temp perfect for an outside heated pool. THen there are tons of condos which have indoor pools....

the relaxation without crowds is great. But if you are after sunning all day, then no, winter wouldn't be the time to go for you.

15. luvmyfam444

luvmyfam444 DIS Veteran

But I must say if I was just escaping cold weather I'd be heading to WDW for that!:rotfl:

16. shortbun

shortbun <font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><

You said, "Ocean Banks"; I have no idea where that is. If you meant, Outer Banks, I can tell you that some of the Outer Banks have outlet shopping and some historical sightseeing. Others are really desolate so taking some really good books and being sure you have a house with a fireplace would be a real necessity. A few restaurants are open, the grocery, get an oceanfront home with views of the beach. Nothing much else to do there-although on Hatteras, the various fire departments have fish frys on alternating nights and sometimes there's music.

17. Caseheidi

Caseheidi DIS Veteran

We live in Oregon, and a popular thing to do at the beach in the winter is storm watch. It can be pretty awe inspiring to sit in your warm beach house and watch the clouds roll in, and the waves crashing the shore.

Also, our beaches tend to be in the 40 - 50's in the winter, and are year you'd residence for many. There are great shops and lots of gallery's to browse in all the time. Several of our beaches also have great outlet malls.

Another popular winter beach trip is to go with extended family or friends, then play games and watch movies. I know several groups of women who do scrapbook weekends, or church retreats. Off season has such great prices for renting that it is perfect for this kind of thing. And if you are lucky enough to have a dry day, walking on the beach and checking out the tide pools is great fun.

18. MamaLema

MamaLema DIS Veteran

sorry, I did mean Outer Banks:blush:

19. kirstenb1

kirstenb1 DIS Veteran

I googled Ocean Banks, and it came up with someplace in New Hampshire. I have to admit I was surprised someone wanted to go there in the winter!!! The OUter Banks should be pretty quiet this time of year. If you're looking for more stuff to be open, you probably need to look further south, maybe Myrtle Beach.