rental car questions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mickeyworld, Dec 7, 2009.

1. mickeyworld

mickeyworld DIS Veteran

This has been asked before but I can't find the thread. I am planning on renting and using a car (Alamo) for three days before the cruise and the day I disembark from the WOnder. Has anyone used ALamo at theport and how did it go???

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

There is no Alamo outlet near the port.

The companies with Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach locations are Hertz, Budget, Avis, Thrifty, and Enterprise.

4. mickeyworld

mickeyworld DIS Veteran

ANy suggestions as to which is better????

5. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

I've used Budget, Avis, and Thrifty all without difficulty. Budget and Thrifty run 2 shuttles on cruise days. Thrifty usually has a drop off charge, but even with that fee is sometimes the least expensive. You have to check rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com for the best discount coupon...try each one at the web site. We have a Budget on our next trip for $40 per day. The Cape Canaveral code is CC5.

Budget has been reported to have excessive fees applied for supposedly returning the car dirty, but we've never had an issue with them. If you drive less than 75 miles, you'll need to have a gas receipt to show them or an automatic gas charge will be applied (it's like $11 or something).

6. actnkidz

actnkidz Mouseketeer

We just used Avis to the port. The rate was competitive with everyone else, but I noticed when we got off the ship and was waiting for the shuttle that Hertz definitely had many more shuttles picking up. Avis had a long wait and when it would finally show up not everyone could fit. It took us about an hour from the time we got to the curb until my husband returned with the car. We had other customer service issues with them as well after we got off the ship and my DS got very sick. We had to call 4 numbers to try and get a price to extend the rental and they wouldn't discuss anything with me only my husband because his name was on the rental, when in reality I booked all of the initial reservations and my husband simply shows up to drive and doesn't know the details. They also charged us extra fees when we returned the vehicle so double check your receipt.

7. Chris40

Chris40 Earning My Ears

Has anyone tried Dollar? We are flying into Sanford then driving to the Port to stay two nights so will use a car before & after cruise. Their rates seemed cheapest but I have no idea about service. Anyone????

8. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Thrifty and Dollar are the same company and as at most places they share a "store." I've rented under the Thrifty name without any problems. They do normally have a drop off charge at Cocoa Beach, but sometimes are still the cheapest. They did not charge me a drop off on the way to the airport, which made them the cheapest by far.