Rent vs. Buy

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by kroy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. kroy

kroy Earning My Ears

I have rented points a couple times and been very happy with the process and especially the low price compared to Disney rack rates. However, since we visit Disney World at least once a year and stay at deluxe resorts, it seems like buying into the DVC probably makes more sense over the long run.

I have a question regarding renting points that I'm hoping someone can answer. Shouldn't the cost to rent points increase roughly with inflation, just like the annual DVC maintenance fees and the Disney rack rates? I first rented points in late 2009 and then again early this year, and paid $13 per point both times. I was surprised the cost hadn't increased over the roughly three years.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. abdmom

abdmom DIS Veteran

$13 per point was very high for 2009. I rented my points for $10 around that time and $11 last year. $12 seems to be the going rate now. As my maintenance fees are in the $5 range, it's a good rate of return.

4. kenspidey

kenspidey Mouseketeer

They will now that Disney raised their direct prices..... Bet on it

5. kroy

kroy Earning My Ears

Thanks abdmom! Looks like I over paid in 2009, but live and learn. You are getting a good rate of return for renting your points, and it looks like the going rate is increasing with inflation as I expected. That suggests to me that buying into the DVC really does make good financial sense over the long run for me. I assume you also use your points yourself for Disney vacations rather than just renting them out.

6. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Disney has raised prices before, but it has never had any real effect on rental prices.

7. Caren90

Caren90 DIS Veteran

Yes, supply and demand will continue to dictate rental prices.

Stephen

8. abdmom

abdmom DIS Veteran

You;re welcome. Yes I do use them myself, but I like the flexibility of being able to convert them to cash. I own other timeshares which are not as easy to rent out when needed.

9. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

You really need to compare the numbers to see which makes better sense for you and your family.

For some not being locked into a yearly vacation at Disney and having to put up with their policy and rule changes makes renting a good deal.

:earsboy: Bill

10. bakerworld

bakerworld DIS Veteran

Curious: How did you visit in '10 and '11? On property? Pkg?